Terrakion

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

#639 - Terakion
-----------
Typing
-----------

Weaknesses/Resistances
x0.50:

x1.00:

x2.00:

Rock and Fighting give Terakion very strong offensive STABs to complement its overall offensive typing, however it does not give it the best defensive typing. Being hit for super-effective by 5 overall common types (all but Psychic) does not bode that well for Terakion, while its immunity/resistances are often not as common. However, do not put Terakion down for the count just yet. Because of its somewhat bulky defensive spread and no glaring x4 weaknesses, Terakion has some saving grace. In Sandstorm, which may very well be one of the top weathers this Gen, it also is granted an added Special Defense stage due to its Rock-typing.

--------
Stats
--------
Base Stat Total: 580
Base Stats: | 91 | 129 | 90 | 72 | 90 | 108 |

Terakion's main blessing is in regards to its above average base Speed of 108 along with its fearsome 129 base Attack. This allows Terkion to hit hard and fast. Just because Terakion has a great Physical offense doesn't mean that it is a glass cannon. Terakion has a very respectable defensive stat distribution of 91/90/90. While this won't make Terakion a wall by any means, it does allow it to take hits relatively well.

-------------
Abilities
-------------
Justice Heart: Absorbs Dark-type attacks when hit and raises Pokemon's Attack stage by 1.

While it is unfortunate that Justice Heart does not grant Dark-type immunity as originally thought, Terakion does not have to fear that much. Luckily Terakion is resistant to Dark-type, so it is often easy for it to switch into a dark-type attack and gain a boost without taking too much damage. This ability can help Terakion similar to Heatran's Flash Fire, but to even a greater extent. While Flash Fire did boost Heatran's Fire-type attacks, Justice Heart boosts Terakion's Attack stat and allows it to indirectly boost all of Terakion's attacks.

-----------------------
Moves Learned
-----------------------
Physical Moves
Aerial Ace (TM40)
Close Combat (Level 73)
Cut (HM01)
Double Kick (Level 7)
Earthquake (TM26)
Facade (TM42)
False Swipe (TM54)
Frustration (TM21)
Giga Impact (TM68)
Poison Jab (TM84)
Quick Attack (Level -)
Retaliation (Level 31/TM67): Normal | 5 PP | 70 BP | 100% | BP increases if an ally was KOed the previous turn.
Return (TM 27)
Rock Slide (Level 37/TM80)
Rock Smash (TM94)
Rock Tomb (TM39)
Sacred Sword (Level 42): Fighting | 20 PP | 90 BP | 100% | Target's stat changes doesn't affect this move.
Smooth Over (TM78): Ground | PP | 60 BP | 100% | Lowers the opponent's speed.
Stone Edge (Level 67/TM71)
Strength (HM04)
Strike Down (Level 13): Rock | 15 PP | 50 BP | 100% | Flying/Levitating opponents fall to the ground.
Take Down (Level 19)
X-Scissor (TM81)

Special Moves
Focus Blast (TM52)
Hidden Power (TM10)
Hyper Beam (TM15)
Troll (TM48): Normal | 60 BP | PP | 100% | Power increases when allies also use Troll.

Support Moves
Calm Mind (TM04)
Cheer Up (Level 61/TM83): Normal | 30 PP | ---% | Raises user's Attack and Special Attack 1 stage.
Double Team (TM32)
Fast Guard (Level 55): Fighting | 15 PP | ---% | Protects your team from priority moves. Will fail if used in succession.
Helping Hand (Level 25)
Leer (Level -)
Protect (TM17)
Psych Up (TM77)
Reflect (TM33)
Rest (TM44)
Roar (TM05)
Rock Polish (TM69)
Safeguard (TM20)
Sandstorm (TM37)
Substitute (TM90)
Swagger (TM87)
Swords Dance (Level 49/TM75)
Taunt (TM12)
Toxic (TM06)

As you can see from its move distribution, GameFreak blessed many attacks to compliment Terakion's stats. While Terakion's Special moves are heavily neglected, Terakion has several different choices to use for Physical Attacks. This includes STAB Stone Edge and Close Combat, as well as access to Earthquake. Terakion also has several boosting moves, most impressive of which are Swords Dance and Rock Polish to boost Terakion's already impressive Attack and Speed stats respectively.

-----------------
Sets Ideas
-----------------
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Close Combat / Sacred Sword
move 4: Earthquake / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Terakion wants as much Speed as it can get in order to fully use its 108 base Speed. With its Justice Heart ability, it is fairly easy for Terakion to reach +3 Attack. This brings Terakion's Attack to a terrifying 1071 that can tear through teams. With both Stone Edge and Close Combat for reliable STAB that has great coverage, Earthquake is suggested to help deal with different Poison-types and Steel/Psychic Pokemon. Substitute can be used over Earthquake seeing as you won't lose too much coverage and will be able to better deal with priority moves that may give Terakion trouble, such as Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, and Bullet Punch. When running Substitute it is recommended that you also run Leftovers as Life Orb recoil and using Substitute will wear away at Terakion's HP too quickly.

name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Close Combat / Sacred Sword
move 4: Earthquake / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
nature: Adamant

176 Speed EVs allows Terakion to outspeed +1 positive natured base 130s after 1 Rock Polish. This may be a bit excessive, but I wanted to make sure to cover all my bases and it didn't seem all that hard. It is still able to outrun 252 positive natured base 85 without a Rock Polish. With both Stone Edge and Close Combat for reliable STAB that has great coverage, Earthquake is suggested to help deal with different Poison-types and Steel/Psychic Pokemon. This set often wants the Justice Heart Attack boost to be pulled off effectively, but it still has potential without it. Substitute can be used over Earthquake seeing as you won't lose too much coverage and will be able to better deal with priority moves that may give Terakion trouble, such as Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, and Bullet Punch. When running Substitute it is recommended that you also run Leftovers as Life Orb recoil and using Substitute will wear away at Terakion's HP too quickly.

I can definitely see Terakion tearing up the metagame with its high speed and power. Fire and Rock are at least fairly common, which provides it with ample opportunities to switch in and start setting up.

Personally, I would go with Close Combat on the Rock Polish set, as the extra power is appreciated, while the Swords Dance set will appreciate retaining its bulk will still utilizing Stone Edge/Sacred Sword.

Gamefreak + new move named Troll = lol

Anyhow, this pokemon looks interesting, I estimate it'll hover 15th-35th in OU because of its great speed, attack, and natural bulk. Only downside is all it's debilitating weaknesses.

It's funny. All of these legendaries have at least a 2x rock resistance right? The steel one has 4x I know that much...

Anyway, it seems these guys were almost born to fuck with Tyranitar. Which is... well it's okay with me. 108 Speed is just enough to outrun Adamant scarftar but... there's really no need.

Don't forget he works pretty well on a Sandstorm team too. I honestly don't see much stopping him since his speed is so ridiculous. I've already mentioned that this guy will be my first team center piece and I think he'll work great with Burunkeru (Water/Ghost) since he takes Water, Fighting, and Steel type attacks. Nattorei (Grass/Steel) also works for taking Steel, Water, and also Grass attacks.

I am so pumped to use him.

Heh King, same here man. This thing is going to tear holes through things. And I think Victini would be an excellent team mate for it. I cannot wait to start using this thing. And yes, Tyranitar is going to be deathly afraid of it. Imagine Ttar trying to Crunch Victini, and Victini switches out to this thing. Ttar has like two options. Stay in, and get raped by STAB Close Combat, or switch out and possibly risk letting this thing set up with Rock Polish or Swords Dance. And on top of that, getting hit by Crunch boosts this guy's attack even further. Oh, and it looks bad ass.

It looks really strong, I agree. However his typing has one problem - it's weak to many priority attacks. While 91/90/90 bulk is good, good old CB Bullet Punch Scizor will OHKO it, CB Mach Punch Technician Breloom will do the same, while CB Azumarills Aqua Jet I guess will be really close to do it. Also SpecsLuke Vacuum Wave hit it for heavy damage. While 108 speed is really good, it's outspeeded by solid number of Pokemon and Choice Scarf is still here. Terakion probably will be pokemon similar to UU Gallade, before it was banned in Gen 4 - deadly for stall, but quite easily revenge killed by offense with so many weaknesses to prey on.

It's also quite interesting how good type synergy Salamence has with Terakion. Resists -Water, -Grass, -Fight and -Ground attacks which Terakion hates and lure some physical walls with Mixed Dragon Dance set or just simple MixMence. But yeah, Terakion is one of those Pokemon I must try ;).

I think this thing will be great. Although its typing is, quite frankly, horrible defensively, it has one of best stab combinations around, with just its stabs offering impeccable coverage. however, with its crap defensive typing and weakness to common priority, it may have difficulty finding time to set up either of its boosting moves. I see either a choice band/scarf set (though a choice locked fighting move could be VERY dangerous this gen depending on what happens to Shanderaa) or sub+three attacks set. Unfortunately, it did not get a physical fire type attack to help with Scizor (assuming its still a top tier revenger/scouter in gen 5), but 79 base spatk isnt horrible, and with the great nuteral coverage offered by its stab moves, it could possibly fit in a Hidden Power Fire to deal specifically with scizor. I have high hopes for some OU role for Terakion.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
scizor is just going to bullet punch it to death regardless

this thing is going to be a beast, even with its weaknesses it still has some good resists to switch in on and rape stuff

Tyranitar will earthquake off the bat all the time now, cause if that comes in on crunch and uses rock polish, you'd better hope you have scizor, breloom and/or azumarill on your team. Even then, you have to hope it's used close combat or has already suffered life orb recoil.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I added Substitute as an option over EQ as it doesn't take too much coverage away and helps with priority.

What about a Double Dance set, so to speak? Rock Polish + Swords Dance + Close Combat + Stone Edge. Fighting + Rock isn't resisted by much, and it has high base power. Against offensive teams, you can use Rock Polish to bolster its speed. Against stall teams it could use Swords Dance to power through stuff. It's probably better to just go with one of them + 3 coverage moves like you have listed, but I think it's still a possibility.

Regardless, this thing has the perfect movepool + stat distribution. Resistance to Extremespeed is nice, although of course it is weak to Scarf Jirachi's Iron Head and Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch, but that's why you run the Fire/Ghost candle or Magnezone, right? =P

BurningMan

fueled by beer
anyone know if fast guard lasts only five turns or endless if it would be the latter that would be an exceptional supporting move for offensive teams.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Simply an amazing pokemon on paper. I can't wait to test this thing when I have a chance. I also think Quick Attack could be an option at times to protect against priority and pick off frail or weaken threats

If the move tutors teach the punches then it will probably become a feared OU. But if not Gliscor will rape it all day long. And I think Tyranitar deserves getting raped ... I mean it got too powerful and someone has to stop it ... even by raping it.

If the move tutors teach the punches then it will probably become a feared OU. But if not Gliscor will rape it all day long. And I think Tyranitar deserves getting raped ... I mean it got too powerful and someone has to stop it ... even by raping it.
lol what? +2 Jolly LO Stone Edge does 98.3% - 115.3% to 252 HP / 4 Def Jolly Gliscor. The same Gliscor's Earthquake does 69.1% - 82.1%. Yeah, not even a check since it doesn't outspeed it like it does with Lucario.

Only 6 mons resist both Rock and Fighting (i think) : Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Claydol, Gallade, Toxicroak and Goruggo. Goruggo can be pursuited and the five other guys were UU or BL last gen and will likely remain so.

So it looks like SDTerakion only needs his STAB attacks to destroy 98% of the metagame, which frees up his 4th moveslot. Why not give him Reflect or Taunt instead of a mostly redundant coverage move ?
Reflect+SpDef boost from sandstorm would make him really hard to kill.
A fast Taunt is a great move to have and helps against Stall.
Substitute is awesome as well.

Also Leftovers might be just as good, if not better than Life Orb, just to take advantage of his tanking abilities and make him a bit harder to revenge kill. I'm only speculating anyway, but

move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sacred Sword
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Reflect/Taunt/Substitute
item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
evs: 4/252 Atk/252 Spe
nature: jolly

is the set i can't wait to test out.

A Choice Band set would also be fantastic it seems. Well, if it wasn't for Shanderaa.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
The RP set is cool but it needs a lot of bulk to survive random priority moves even after taking a hit or two setting up; all you really need to do is outspeed +1 base 115s like Starmie so I think the investment should be adjusted.

Taunt should be a major option; it shuts down some more defensively-inclined things that could stop you and it's not as if it's important to have coverage in that last moveslot because Rock + Fighting is so good anyway.

I've already started working on my first team, and like I previously said, I'm building it around Terakion. I'm working on EV spreads since I know a 252/252 set could be overkill considering he already has two powerful STABs and Base 129 ATK. Well, I crunched some numbers and I was shocked when I found out this:

0 ATK EVS Jolly +2 Life Orb Sacred Sword can get a clean 2HKO on 252/252 Impish Skarmory.

Wow.

This means he has potential to run a bulkier Swords Dance set since max attack isn't always necessary for the KOs he needs. I'm going to love tinkering with this guys.

What about a Choice Scarf? 108 Speed lets it outspeed most stuff and Close Combat/Stone Edge/Earthquake means it can probably revenge almost anything and give the opponent some grief with base 129 Attack. In addition, if you can get it in on something(Tyranitar?), then it would be a very hard threat to counter before it locks in anything.

Ditto

/me huggles
The RP set is cool but it needs a lot of bulk to survive random priority moves even after taking a hit or two setting up; all you really need to do is outspeed +1 base 115s like Starmie so I think the investment should be adjusted.

Taunt should be a major option; it shuts down some more defensively-inclined things that could stop you and it's not as if it's important to have coverage in that last moveslot because Rock + Fighting is so good anyway.
The main reasoning behind the speed was to outspeed Timid Scarfmin-S that could deal serious damage to Terakion with Seed Flare. I thought since it was not that far away that it would be good to outspeed Potential Scarftwo as well

Interesting. I could see a Taunt + Sub set working, although the lack of boosts provided is an issue. With Taunt, I think you can still beat Skarmory, though I am not confident on that.

This pokemon looks solid enough. We will see how well it preforms soon enough.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
If only this got Extremespeed...but anyway I still think that the basic SDer will be one of the best pokemon this entire generation. People shouldn't be sleeping on this monster!

Azure Demon

I'm loving this guy the ability to help out my favorite type of pokemon (ghost & psychic) not to mention sacred sword with the ability to negate stat boost so if some bulks up on me I'll be able to slice through them with a stab move just as though they didn't have a boost at all meaning curse lax and ttar can consider themselves shut down not to mention his bulk and access to rock polish he Aldo can hold his own in sand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)