The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the Dolphins had picked up Brees, they would have already won 2 Super Bowls if they kept this kind of D together....with qbs this crappy, they might never make the playoffs

if the Dolphins had picked up Brees, they would have already won 2 Super Bowls if they kept this kind of D together....with qbs this crappy, they might never make the playoffs
You are giving Sean Payton way too little credit.

I guess you missed the part where they were already competing with the Patriots, beating them two years ago and going up 21-0 in another game before blowing it in ridiculous fashion. We always play them hard, and now that Chan Gailey is out of the way, we can actually realize our potential.

And it isn't just new coaches and new QB, although that's what everyone in this city wanted. It's also new GM and new-ish owner (Ralph Wilson named Russ Brandon CEO, basically the same idea). Everything is new here, and we still have the best backfield in the league, no CB can cover Stevie Johnson, and losing Levitre will not be the big blow to the OL that everyone thinks it will be. Fitz was a bad QB, but our line kept him very clean and paved the way for CJ's huge season. Now, add in TJ Graham playing much better and new rookie WRs Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, and other, and our offense looks to be very fun to watch.

The run defense was 31st last year under Dave Wannstedt. There is NO fucking way Mike Pettine is about to let that happen again. Jerry Hughes and Manny Lawson are having great camps and look to be good additions, and if Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams can stay healthy in the middle and Mario earns a little bit of that money, we'll be vastly improved. Kiko Alonso has looked to be the MLB we thought Posluszny was and Stephon Gilmore is the shut-down corner no one is talking about. We need to get Byrd back and find another good CB, but everything is headed in the right direction.

We were 6-10 last season and only improved everything. I am worried because we have a bear of a schedule this year (AFC North and NFC South), but hey, no other way to make a statement.
I find it funny how you're still holding on to that win... I guess I would too if say the Eggs were something like 46-8 against divisional opponents over the past decade like the Patriots are. Not trying to sound rude, juts find it humorous.

Can't really argue what you said. So i'll take you word for it. Not expecting much.

Not really, Drew Brees was already fantastic in SD. The Dolphins have had killers on both side of their line for years and years, and since they suffered through futility we never even got to see those lines at their best.

First off, I hate what if statements because they're mostly useless. They probably would of been better off yeah, but I honestly don't care since it didn't work out that way.

Are you calling Tannehill crappy? I can understand calling all of their other QBs crappy since Marino(except for Pennington), but calling a 2nd year QB who went through a developmental year his first year while having a limited wide receiver core crappy is premature, I think. Also have you seen him in play in the last two preseason games? He's been solid.

Though losing Keller hurts a lot and I hate to see that happen to him.

When your rookie season is more comparable to Christian Ponder's than Matt Ryan's, you pretty much had a crappy season regardless of context.

Sure, Tannehill might be better this season and every season afterwards, but every other season put in by a Phins QB the past decade has been crap with the exception of one year by Chad Pennington.

When your rookie season is more comparable to Christian Ponder's than Matt Ryan's, you pretty much had a crappy season regardless of context.

Sure, Tannehill might be better this season and every season afterwards, but every other season put in by a Phins QB the past decade has been crap with the exception of one year by Chad Pennington.
Ah yes Pennington. The master of the Comeback player of the Year award.

Also I laughed at this when I really shouldnt have:

First off, I hate what if statements because they're mostly useless. They probably would of been better off yeah, but I honestly don't care since it didn't work out that way.

Are you calling Tannehill crappy? I can understand calling all of their other QBs crappy since Marino(except for Pennington), but calling a 2nd year QB who went through a developmental year his first year while having a limited wide receiver core crappy is premature, I think. Also have you seen him in play in the last two preseason games? He's been solid.

Though losing Keller hurts a lot and I hate to see that happen to him.
You have what ifs? You must be the most boring person in the fucking world, hypotheticals are fantastic. Sports enjoyment is influenced by so much context that things like "what would have happened if Miami does not shit on Drew Brees" is extremely relevant.

Does it matter what I called Tannehill? Drew Brees has been the best "toss it up over and over" QB in the league for several years (not the most efficient). So you what, you think missing out on 8 years of Brees is somehow helped by if Tannehill is any good? You still missed out on 8-??? years of DREW BREES.

(I prefer to look at what has happened, not try to project so many hypotheticals...Tannehill had an awful first season, if he goes off and does better this year cool, he wasted a year of great rushing & killer D & a quality offensive line though)

I'm not saying his season wasn't crappy, since it kind of was, but saying Tannehill is a crappy QB (which is what I thought CK was implying) based on his rookie season is premature.

You have what ifs? You must be the most boring person in the fucking world, hypotheticals are fantastic. Sports enjoyment is influenced by so much context that things like "what would have happened if Miami does not shit on Drew Brees" is extremely relevant.

Does it matter what I called Tannehill? Drew Brees has been the best "toss it up over and over" QB in the league for several years (not the most efficient). So you what, you think missing out on 8 years of Brees is somehow helped by if Tannehill is any good? You still missed out on 8-??? years of DREW BREES.

(I prefer to look at what has happened, not try to project so many hypotheticals...Tannehill had an awful first season, if he goes off and does better this year cool, he wasted a year of great rushing & killer D & a quality offensive line though)
I don't see them as fantastic, I see them as dwelling in the past. Instead of wondering if Miami would be better if they signed Brees, I rather focus on what's happening now. I honestly don't see the relevancy of a past hypothetical situation where the conclusion can not be obtained and/or can have infinite outcomes to a current point in time. Now if you're just asking for entertainment purposes, than whatever, but I don't think they have a point overall.

How the fuck you got that from what I said is beyond me. Rather he turns out good or not doesn't change the fact that Miami was terrible those eight years.

I was going to reply to that last point, but I'm tired and I feel like it. -_-

I just realized Andy Reid is coaching Jamaal Charles, I kind of want to punch a lot of things, maybe start a dogfighting ring

Von Miller suspended for 6 games/yawn.

This has 0 effect on the Broncos season. Peyton is good enough for 10 wins by himself, and Von will be back for the playoffs. So yeah, all this does is give hope to the fans of teams who are facing the Broncos before week 7.

I just realized Andy Reid is coaching Jamaal Charles, I kind of want to punch a lot of things, maybe start a dogfighting ring
If Jamaal is as good as you say, he should be fine if he is used as much as 2011 Mccoy. Also, hes got Captain Checkdown as QB. I'm sure Reid knows his QBs limits.

Eagles and Panthers will make the playoffs this season both finishing in the top 5 of the NFL for points scored

you heard it here first (and last)

Von Miller suspended for 6 games/yawn.

This has 0 effect on the Broncos season. Peyton is good enough for 10 wins by himself, and Von will be back for the playoffs. So yeah, all this does is give hope to the fans of teams who are facing the Broncos before week 7.

If Jamaal is as good as you say, he should be fine if he is used as much as 2011 Mccoy. Also, hes got Captain Checkdown as QB. I'm sure Reid knows his QBs limits.
Andy Reid hates RBs, I just want to keep seeing 1400-1500 yard Jamaal Charles seasons

Lesean McCoy has averaged 17.5 carries/game and 3.8 catches/game over the past two seasons. If Charles can get anywhere close to his career 5.8 yards/carry and 8.4 yards/catch, he can easily reach an average of 100 yards/game with those numbers.

Reid just seemed to prematurely abandon the run at times, but that's nothing new to Charles (games with 5, 6, 9, 12, and 12 carries last year, 10 carries in 2011 season opener, got fewer carries than Thomas Jones in 2010 even though he was nearly twice as productive). I have high hopes that Charles can continue his production going into this season.

In 2011, McCoy's best year, Vick played 13 games and McCoy played 15, while they both played in 12 games. McCoy had 223 rushes and 37 receptions in those 12 games, at an average of 18.6 and 3.1 per game. In the other three games McCoy played, he averaged 16.7 rushes and 3.7 receptions per game.

In 2012, Vick only played in 10 games (really let's call it 9, he missed about 2/3rds of the first Dallas game), and McCoy played in 12. Together, they were on the field for 9 complete games. In these games, McCoy averaged 17.3 rushes and 3.9 receptions per game. In the three games that McCoy played and Vick didn't, he averaged 14.7 rushes and 6.3 receptions/game.

Obviously these are pretty small sample sizes, but it seems like McCoy was actually utilized more with a good passing game than without. It's likely that there's a more direct correlation between a successful offense -> McCoy's touches (or perhaps just "close games" -> more touches), as the offense was fairly productive with the presence of Vick and not so productive with Vince Young/Nick Foles at the helm. If Alex Smith can be a moderately productive passer, and the KC defense can keep games close, I find it hard to believe that Reid will find a way to underutilize Charles as much as last year's coaching staff did.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's possible that McCoy's increased receptions without Vick were because the lesser QBs liked to check down to him more? Or Reid called more screens to make it easier on them since he was less confident in their passing. Either way I don't think Reid necessarily limits RBs, I think he just expects them to be more involved in the passing game.

I don't think you guys realize how bad reid actually is when it comes to the run. Mccoy is actually just literally the 3rd best rb in the nfl behind peterson/charles but was never utilized correctly. Classic reid strategy: run the ball to start, completely abandon it later for no reason. Its like how the ravens use ray rice

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Yeah, if only the Ravens knew how to use Ray Rice better they may have won a fucking Super Bowl or someth-

Yeah, New Rule: You're not allowed to complain about anything your team does within, IDK, 3 years of winning the Super Bowl.

I'd argue McCoy is actually 2nd best rb, andy reid is like you said just an idiot
I don't know if it's worth anything but the kid played our high school back in the day when he was in high school and he was consistently dropping 400-yard games against our whole division
Kid is way too hard to tackle, if he was on the Vikings instead of AP he probably would be a 2,000 yard rusher too
Good thing he has Chip Kelly now

I'd argue McCoy is actually 2nd best rb, andy reid is like you said just an idiot
I don't know if it's worth anything but the kid played our high school back in the day when he was in high school and he was consistently dropping 400-yard games against our whole division
Kid is way too hard to tackle, if he was on the Vikings instead of AP he probably would be a 2,000 yard rusher too
Good thing he has Chip Kelly now
LOL good one. I guess the great Minnesota Vikings football team is now some kind of magical fairyland where "Insert this RB and he will easily deliver an all-time great season".

Last edited:
LOL good one. I guess the great Minnesota Vikings football team is now some kind of magical fairyland where "Insert this RB can be inserted and he will easily deliver an all-time great season".
The point is that when you're running the ball 348 times as long as you have an elite running back along the lines of McCoy/Charles/Peterson you're going to get a shitton of yards
Same thing when Chris Johnson ran for 2,006, 358 attempts is still a huge amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)