The Everything NFL Thread - 2018-2019 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ty Montgomery was just doing the Rams a solid by running the clock down to the warning like the Rams should've done in the first place but for some reason they kicked the FG with ten seconds still left on the playclock ????

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Huge Ackson and Todd Haley out in Cleveland. And to think people questioned the Steelers for letting Haley go...

I'm glad I can now cheer against/not actually view any games of the Browns without any second thoughts now that they put Gregg "Bountygate" Williams in a position where there ain't nobody to oversee him! If someone told me in 2012 that Gregg Williams would have a HC job, I'd have thought they were lying!!!!!!!!!

Gonna miss him in Detroit. YAC monster and consummate professional. Lions were never gonna be able to retain him on the open market and getting a 3rd rounder for him is good value. Good luck in philly tate

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
bored so imma give you 32 more fresh takes.

is it time to say tom brady sucks? can that point at least be addressed? how many crossing routes does he need to throw like a skipping stone for us to say, hm, maybe this old guy should stop playing football?

will the dolphins sign jameis winston next year? it's going to be them or the raiders. i cant fucking wait to have him gift three picks a year to jamal adams. thinking about that oregon game where they had the fire greenapple unis and broke jameis in the coliseum and smiling.

im hoping the jets have like eight inspiring losses. sam darnold plays better than anyone has ever seen a rookie play and the team loses out. give me a fire draft pick, a new OC, and a day two trade for a wr who can separate. please

buffalo is starting peterman. might the league have to intervene? sincerely, if the bills came into next year with peterman and some insanely shitty backup, would their gm be deposed? how bad does a team have to be for that to happen?

is pat mahomes a system quarterback? is he? is he, stephen a? is he? that's obv an absurd take but id be interested in a treatment of how his unique arm talent (the gas he can throw with in particular) influences the type of separation they try to get, because the dudes are wide open.

the chargers are somehow boring? and they might be better than the chiefs? i recall watching that game and remembering the yards they left on the field, on drops in particular. also, might they have the troopiest fanbase in the nfl? demographics of san diego might suggest so. though the cowboys. w.e

got some hate for my broncos take so i'll double down: they might make the wildcard game lol. i did say might in the original post, and thus i stand by it. the only bad loss they have is to the jets, and obviously something was insanely Wrong with their runstopping. but that's not really a problem thats been repeated or is meaningful. but onescore losses to the chiefs twice and the rams doesnt happen if you're a bad team.

lmao cmon. the sight of jon grtudens face makes me mad. like shut the FUCK up looking like that. the problem is mnf is still awful even after his departure.

leveon doesnt matter because running backs dont. sorry but this is factual.

bengals fraudulent? does this require anyone believe they're real? but also the fact that noone does makes me think there's value in a bengals afc title game prediction. hm

will reiterate my call for the ravens to start jackson.

elabing on my posted desire to see the browns hire mike leach: why the fuck not? when you see "college concepts" in the nfl you're mostly talking hal mumme and leach's air raid. it works folks. baker mayfield had a wildly successful college career as the point guard of two air raid offenses, starting at texas tech (where leach famously beat texas with it) and then at OK. washington state is now p good at football because of leach. the problem is the nfl would step in and install a Man of Football as the coach after the leachbrowns go 80:20 pass:run game 1.

the texans... how to feel? sincerely unsure. watson seems real, and the wrs are p insane. but i cant shake the feeling the offensive line is too big a problem here to ignore. prolly a playoff team. who is to say.

at least the titans arent Cowards. they're sitll p bad though.

the colts using backyard sports custom kids at WR and still achieving production. despite an easy schedule i dont think they farmed enough earlyseason to be a playoff team.

the jags are a perfect example of not upgrading when they had the opportunity. they did not acquire bridgewater. they did not acquire [redacted]. they regressed to the mean on defense. and now you see what happens.

running the football is an illusion lol. washington is bad fr. trust

eagles coming back at a rapid pace. wentz has improved from last season and tate is a v good wr, as is ertz (te i know but it's the same thing). can never have too many weapons

hope amari cooper was worth it kings. great trade you fucking idiots.

if eli manning makes the hall of fme the building should be burned down.

ok im bored just take these

i dunno why you keep saying the ravens should start lamar... he's just not ready rn and they can still somehwat compete with flacco

also why do you hate RBs so much

chargers are not better than the chiefs... chiefs make very few mistakes on offense and while we're doing better we are not a better team until bosa comes back, to which then its questionable. no one in the secondary can cover tyreek which means hes gonna get a safety on him or hes gonna gash us, which leaves kelce or hunt wide open to burn us

jon gruden is a fucking clown. have you heard some of the shit he says?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Here to argue the initial fresh take of Tom Brady sucking because he’s old:

First off this take cannot be included as fresh despite its zestiness as people have been talking about how he’s lost it for years. Interestingly though the talk of how he’s “lost it” has been half right. The reason you keep seeing him lose it is simply because he’s never had it. Or at the very least he never had any kind of arm talent (really cannot stress enough how he was drafted super late for a reason). He has never been the QBs QB, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers blow him out of the water in terms of what they could/can make the football do. Brady’s accuracy is fine...ish but he over compensates for defenders by throwing every ball low and away. Therefore when he misses he misses incomplete rather than misses towards a defender. Looks ugly but avoids turnovers. Brady’s QB greatness has always been his reads on defenses, and how he uses his baby blues to pull defenders out of position, not his ability to throw the ball.

is pat mahomes a system quarterback? is he? is he, stephen a? is he? that's obv an absurd take but id be interested in a treatment of how his unique arm talent (the gas he can throw with in particular) influences the type of separation they try to get, because the dudes are wide open.

elabing on my posted desire to see the browns hire mike leach: why the fuck not? when you see "college concepts" in the nfl you're mostly talking hal mumme and leach's air raid. it works folks. baker mayfield had a wildly successful college career as the point guard of two air raid offenses, starting at texas tech (where leach famously beat texas with it) and then at OK. washington state is now p good at football because of leach. the problem is the nfl would step in and install a Man of Football as the coach after the leachbrowns go 80:20 pass:run game 1.
Uh.... wtf. First you say that Mahomes might be an average QB because of the system he plays in. Reid schemes his receivers into space to make reads (pun intended) easier/faster. Ok fine, but then you suggest giving Mayfield an Air raid OC would be a good thing. That offense is literally built on the concept of getting receivers into open space to make the game go faster.

I'm personally in agreement that the NFL needs more "college style" offenses to continue the offensive growth we've witnessed the last decade. Lincoln Riley ---> Browns would be dope

Tommy has been fine this year but he just hasn't been nearly as good as he was in 2016 (the best season i've seen from a QB) and 2017 when he won MVP.

In terms of Bradyness i'd say hes somewhere around 2012 lvl Brady right now

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean the guy is like 42 I think we can forgive him for looking a little old. He's still better than at least 2/3 of the qbs in the league, most of whom are close to 20 years younger.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
i dunno why you keep saying the ravens should start lamar... he's just not ready rn and they can still somehwat compete with flacco

also why do you hate RBs so much

chargers are not better than the chiefs... chiefs make very few mistakes on offense and while we're doing better we are not a better team until bosa comes back, to which then its questionable. no one in the secondary can cover tyreek which means hes gonna get a safety on him or hes gonna gash us, which leaves kelce or hunt wide open to burn us

jon gruden is a fucking clown. have you heard some of the shit he says?
because they need variance. "somewhat competing" doesnt give them a lot of title equity. if you're not having that, then you want to give your rookie quarterback game experience. and the upside is: what if he's really good? that gives you a shot at a super bowl. this is a thing you find out by playing him. so in short while it prolly decreases their 2018 skill mean it increases their title prob and also increases both skill mean and title prob in the future.

it's a possibility that theyre better than the chiefs yea. defense is and offense might be more closer to the chiefs than people think. rivers goofy-ass throwing motion is somehow effective and keenan allen looks like he playing lax out there with the fluid hips. they should have beaten the chiefs week 1!

because rbs do not have much of a material impact on football games relative to one another. they are relatively replaceable because most running yards and nearly all rushing touchdowns are situationally gained - they could be picked up by nearly any running back and depend mostly on scheme and line play. passing is more effective than running in most circumstances. so on first and ten you should be doing the efficient thing most of the time. i suspect having a "good" running back makes you more likely to run on first down, maybe hurting your offense. i dont doub that there are skills to running, but they're less important than skills at qb or wr or defensive end.

is gruden tanking on purpose? if he is it is not a bad tank

First off this take cannot be included as fresh despite its zestiness as people have been talking about how he’s lost it for years. Interestingly though the talk of how he’s “lost it” has been half right. The reason you keep seeing him lose it is simply because he’s never had it. Or at the very least he never had any kind of arm talent (really cannot stress enough how he was drafted super late for a reason). He has never been the QBs QB, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers blow him out of the water in terms of what they could/can make the football do. Brady’s accuracy is fine...ish but he over compensates for defenders by throwing every ball low and away. Therefore when he misses he misses incomplete rather than misses towards a defender. Looks ugly but avoids turnovers. Brady’s QB greatness has always been his reads on defenses, and how he uses his baby blues to pull defenders out of position, not his ability to throw the ball.
agree with all this but also it's getting particularly comical recently. his passes are dying aggressively as of late. like they're being shot by dick cheney, which is also how tom scrambles. no hate though (for tom, dick is a different deal)

Uh.... wtf. First you say that Mahomes might be an average QB because of the system he plays in. Reid schemes his receivers into space to make reads (pun intended) easier/faster. Ok fine, but then you suggest giving Mayfield an Air raid OC would be a good thing. That offense is literally built on the concept of getting receivers into open space to make the game go faster.

I'm personally in agreement that the NFL needs more "college style" offenses to continue the offensive growth we've witnessed the last decade. Lincoln Riley ---> Browns would be dope
im not suggesting that he's "average" so much as im trying to gauge his replaceablity. a lot of quarterbacks can fling it to dudes running absolutely wide open. he's absolutely better at it than most of them. but there is a certain set of outlier skills that makes a quarterback "elite" in the sense that he is difficult to replace. valk's post is a good example: tom brady is almost certainly a mega-outlier at understanding how his offense needs to attack given defenses. there are other skills like this. the accuracy to throw receivers open is one (drew brees comes to mind), elite athleticism too. he may have these, though im highly skeptical of elite athleticism (he isnt that fast) and would give a p good % to reads talent (he gets protections quite well from what i can see, at least). but we dont know, because reid's offense is so well designed and the talent on the offense so capable of winning mus and getting open. arm talent is the one that mahomes has really, really demonstrated, and I was wondering how that informs or extends the offense. it certainly extends throwing windows allowing him more time on the deeper reads.

i would only assign a decent probability to baker having elite accuracy. i suspect if he's going to succeed he's going to need a lot of open throws, and that means air raid. leach is the daddy of that.

for this weekend, find something you like as much as commentators like calling white receivers "mr third down".

Shrug

the ravens prob feel a need to keep using flacco as they're tossing him 20+ for the at least the next two years, and up to 4. give lamar time to develop his passing and vision and the ravens will get rid of flacco whenever lamar jackson is ready

defense has been underwhelming so far but the offense is good. rivers' biggest issue has always been throwing picks but this year he has been significantly better than usual. once we see bosa in action at 100% then I can say with confidence that we're good. if we win broncos game cleanly and beat the steelers on the road then im willing to say we're good.

I'll agree on a point that i think you reference: I'll take like two good o-line members over one very good running back. O-Line does both pass and run protect, and an RB needs a serviceable line to do anything; see the colts this year compared to last year, and then see the giants. Saquon is much better than marlon mack but giants o-line is just a dumpster can so they have to checkdown to him all the time instead of running properly.

Throwing on first down is controversial as shit and we can argue all day long but I think that if you have a good line and a good RB you should be going for clock management and trying to set up a run game ASAP, even on first down. Historically teams pass about 1.7-2x on first down compared to running it. I think you should play to your strengths; Dallas runs it as often as they pass it on first down this year, but Rams, Giants(lul) and TB pass it about >70% of the time on first down.

Also workhorse RBs are slowly dying off in favor of pass-catching backs, no bigger offender of this rn than the Bears where JH24 is just not being used much while Cohen shiftiness is more valued. NE is doing a similar thing in my eyes. RBs are not useless, but the more elusive ones are being valued higher now versus your traditional workhorse ground-and-pound RBs.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Workhorse RBs have been dying for years. It has little to do with lack of performance, it's lack of longevity. Why invest in a guy who's gonna give you eight elite years at max, four on average, when good players at other positions last at least twice as long? Playing RB gets you beat up because you have to run through the 300-pound guys everytime you carry the ball, and a "workhorse" does it at 3-4x the rate of even the most targetted WRs who usually get tackled by smaller guys to boot. (Other positions don't get hit with regularity.)

It's hard to pay a guy before he proves himself, but it's hard to pay an RB elite money after he's proven himself because at that point you know his career is already on the backswing and it no longer makes sense as an owner to offer a big deal. Sorry Bell, and good on the Rams extending Gurley so early.

Sorry I forgot to post last week's power rankings. Here's this week.

Full rankings can be found here: https://www.sidelinespice.com/single-post/2018/11/01/Week-8-2018-NFL-Power-Rankings.

Note - I personally had the Texans and Skins much higher than was listed here and the Jaguars much lower. But unfortunately, other staff members had other ideas, so if you disagree with those ones in particular, just know that it wasn't me ;).
I think you guys place way too much stock in some teams' early success and continue to rank them egregiously high enough for me to actually post a reply: Lions, Jags, Phi and Min regarding their 2017 seasons.

Broncos are too low, despite their record which you guys seem to otherwise take into context pretty well and not just run a power rankings list down the win column, and y'alls have been blatant Cowboys haters from Day 1. Hmm, maybe there's something to this underselling cowboys and horses...

the jags are a perfect example of not upgrading when they had the opportunity. they did not acquire bridgewater.
Teddy Bridgewater was never touted as a great talent in the first place, nor was he ever actually good while playing or shown particularly great potential, so I'm not sure why he's largely been treated as the Next Great Franchise QB ever since his injury.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Workhorse RBs have been dying for years. It has little to do with lack of performance, it's lack of longevity. Why invest in a guy who's gonna give you eight elite years at max, four on average, when good players at other positions last at least twice as long? Playing RB gets you beat up because you have to run through the 300-pound guys everytime you carry the ball, and a "workhorse" does it at 3-4x the rate of even the most targetted WRs who usually get tackled by smaller guys to boot. (Other positions don't get hit with regularity.)

It's hard to pay a guy before he proves himself, but it's hard to pay an RB elite money after he's proven himself because at that point you know his career is already on the backswing and it no longer makes sense as an owner to offer a big deal. Sorry Bell, and good on the Rams extending Gurley so early.

I think you guys place way too much stock in some teams' early success and continue to rank them egregiously high enough for me to actually post a reply: Lions, Jags, Phi and Min regarding their 2017 seasons.

Broncos are too low, despite their record which you guys seem to otherwise take into context pretty well and not just run a power rankings list down the win column, and y'alls have been blatant Cowboys haters from Day 1. Hmm, maybe there's something to this underselling cowboys and horses...

Teddy Bridgewater was never touted as a great talent in the first place, nor was he ever actually good while playing or shown particularly great potential, so I'm not sure why he's largely been treated as the Next Great Franchise QB ever since his injury.
Agreed especially on the Jags. I put them at either 17 or 18, some guy on our site put them at 14. Trying to tell the team to throw 2017 completely out the window now that we're 8 weeks in.

Cowboys are a hard team to rank. Garbage offense, very strong defense, but now with the Cooper trade, their trajectory could go a number of ways. Broncos have been close with some elite teams, but then they'll go do stuff like be blown out by the Ravens. Hard to put them ahead of the Washingtons and Houstons of the world in my personal ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)