The Everything NHL Thread

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I haven't seen the presser, but the trashtalking complaint is pretty legit based on what the Versus guys were saying.
I think you need to hear it though.

He was asked to comment on the Lapierre goal and said that while Thomas makes saves he wouldn't make because of his aggressive style, he would have personally made this save because he stays "in the paint".

Probably not the greatest of idea to comment on another goalie's style in a Stanley Cup series but 'trash talking' I've seen better. It's certainly not any that warrants people saying Luongo "makes them sick" for it.

If anyone wants to hate the guy, that is fine. I just wish people kept it to his subpar performances rather than try to take it on the man. He doesn't deserve it.

Watched the chain of interviews related to Luongo on nhl.com. The words he says aren't like ultra insulting but the way he says it is pretty condescending. It's definitely not "I can't hear you with these Stanley Cup rings in my ears" type arrogant BS but it's something I sure wouldn't want my goalie saying, too. I'm sure I'm seeing it through the lens that the American media is giving me on some level, which I'm sure is very different from what the Canadian media is giving some of you given the players involved, but even fellow goalie/analyst Kevin Weekes seemed to think that was a lot of BS there. To me it comes off like Luongo was getting a little cocky after his shutout in Game 5 and started talking shit a little too early, but he may not have meant it that way. Julien was talking shit about Luongo's goals against in response which was just as silly, though. Regardless, it's kind of telling that in the followup interview Luongo kinda danced around it while not taking the chance to claim he WASN'T trying to slight Thomas when asked... I think that both sides would talk some shit is some of the fun of this series though, was a lot of emotion and hate both ways, that makes for fun hockey.

EDIT: I used the word arrogant here, but I don't think that's really the right description. I get the feeling Luongo getting a little aggressive in the media is more out of like a kind of defiance -- he's coming off a shutout up 3-2 in the SCF finals at that point with a gold medal under his belt and he's not getting respect and it's pissing him off a little. Different implication there, I think.

Fun notes: noticed Cam Neely (now team president) got to lift the cup when the Bruins won, too. He was kinda a funny forgotten face in all the "yay Ray Borque won a cup with another team all is right in the world now" shit since he, you know, didn't, so I guess it's kinda neat he got to as an executive.

Also, another thing I was rambling about to my parents last night that is a stat the half or so of us posting here from the US should appreciate Thomas for...

2 -- Americans who have won the Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the Playoffs. Boston goaltender Tim Thomas became the first American to win the trophy since the Rangers' Brian Leetch in 1994.
(Also worth noting: lot of talk last year about the Cup+Gold in one year for people like Toews, but how about the last 18 months for Bergeron? Amazing where he's come since the concussion crap started clearing up)

Interestingly this was the highest rated playoff game on NBC since the Ducks/Devils game 7 in 2003, which is impressive since Vancouver's local ratings don't contribute and both of those teams' did (and were in large markets if you count the Devils in with general metro NY area). Bostons' average rating was higher for the Bruins than the Celtics in their finals run, which makes me smile as a hockey guy.

Some other ridiculous stats on nhl.com

3 -- Decades in which Boston's Mark Recchi has won a Stanley Cup. Recchi was a member of Pittsburgh's championship team in 1991 and helped Carolina to the only Cup in franchise history in 2006 before earning his third Cup this year.

7 -- Points in the Final by Boston's Mark Recchi, who had 3 goals and 4 assists, including an assist on Boston's second goal. At age 43, Recchi tied with teammate Brad Marchand for the scoring lead during the Final

8 -- Goals scored by the Canucks in the Final, the fewest ever by a team in a seven-game Final. The previous record was 9, set by both Toronto and Detroit in the Leafs' seven-game victory in 1945.

11 -- Shorthanded goals scored in this year's playoffs. Six of them, including the one by Patrice Bergeron in the second period on Wednesday, were scored against the Canucks. Boston led all teams by scoring four shorthanded goals.

37 -- Saves by Boston goaltender Tim Thomas, giving him record 798 in this year's playoffs. His first save of the night snapped a tie with Kirk McLean, who made 761 saves for Vancouver in 1994, the last time the Canucks went to the Final.
and two from puck daddy

Zdeno Chara is the second European-born captain to win the Stanley Cup

Dennis Seidenberg joins Uwe Krupp as the only two Germans to have their names on the Cup
I'm super biased on this one since Lidstrom was the first, but after all the shit I heard for years about how teams couldn't win with a European captain or stars and that the Europeans didn't care, did Chara look like a guy who didn't care to anyone when you saw his reaction lifting the cup or playing goalie and blocking that shot with his knee last night?

Also, what a bunch of idiots:

A handful of cars were lit on fire. Police in riot gear attempted to march through the crowds, however, rioters threw objects at them, forcing them back. Several people were clearly shown on camera provoking the police, refusing to move. Officers shot tear gas into the crowds and pleaded on loudspeakers for people to clear the area, but the crowds remained.
Extra note: how scary are the Bruins moving forward? They'll lose Thomas soon and Recchi now, but Bergeron, Lucic, and Horton are young, Chara and Seidenberg probably have plenty in the tank, Marchand just broke the fuck out and there's still that Seguin guy waiting to get more ice time(and the #9 overall pick, great job Toronto!)... not to mention Rask to handle the goaltending when Thomas is gone. Great time not to be in that division!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably not the greatest of idea to comment on another goalie's style in a Stanley Cup series but 'trash talking' I've seen better. It's certainly not any that warrants people saying Luongo "makes them sick" for it.

If anyone wants to hate the guy, that is fine. I just wish people kept it to his subpar performances rather than try to take it on the man. He doesn't deserve it.
I'm not sure it matters what he said or whether it was intended to be condescending (although I agree with Synre that it kinda was), the fact that Luongo was talking about the faults of the other goalie at all just shows how mentally frail he is. Thomas outperformed him in the finals and instead of worrying about winning the cup, he was worried about what people were saying about him...that he wasn't getting enough credit etc. Not to mention the fact that his comments about himself were blatantly false, the dude gave up soft goals and goals through his legs precisely because he was staying in the paint. The difference between Thomas and Luongo was that while Luongo was out talking to the media about himself, Thomas was humble and focused solely on winning.

That just shows where his priorities were, which inevitably comes from poor coaching. Vigneault was showing the same misplaced priorities through the series. While he was complaining to the refs, Julien was making tweaks to his lines on the ice and got results. Julien loses a player to a dirty hit and lets the NHL deal with it...Vigneault's player bites someone and he's worried about a backlash against his team from the refs. It makes me laugh even more because if the refs really called everything that could have been a foul like he wanted, the Canucks would have been way worse off than the Bruins. Henrik Sedin had more diving penalties than goals in this series, and he could have easily been called for more. Vigneault even said that he wasn't expecting the Bruins to play after the whistle, and that caught him off guard. Has he ever watched an NHL game? It's like he was just expecting his team's skill to magically put the puck in the net without having any opposition. The Canucks rolled over and died in all 3 games in Boston, there's no real explanation for that considering how tough the Canucks were at home.

edit- Parade starts at 11 am Saturday at the Garden. Anyone else going?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
. Not to mention the fact that his comments about himself were blatantly false, the dude gave up soft goals and goals through his legs precisely because he was staying in the paint.

No, this comment had to do with one goal, Lapierre's, in which Thomas was caught too out of position to block the rebound off the boards. Luongo was saying that he would have stopped THAT goal because he stays in the crease and that probably would have been the case.

As for goals he allows because he stays deep in his net, he did say that Thomas' aggressive style allows him to make saves he doesn't make.

which I'm sure is very different from what the Canadian media is giving some of you given the players involved
I don't know, I didn't hear anything about it in the Canadian media (not saying they didn't say anything about it, just that none of it got to my ears), I missed the whole ordeal. I learned about it when I watched Thomas' press conference on NHL.com after which I instantly tried to see what Luongo had said. I was really hoping for some real trash talking, as was sold by the reporters begging for a story and priming Thomas for a reaction (they got none) and ended up disappointed. I've certainly never seen trash talking in which you praise the person you talk trash about.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Boston gets another title...7 titles in the past 10 years. And the area has Harvard and MIT.

I need to move to Boston.

Congrats to my free agent pickup Tim Thomas for being awesome from game 1 of the regular season to game 7 of the stanley cup finals...beast season.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
Thomas.

I thought he deserved the Vezina when he won it 2 years ago but never at this point did he left me with the impression that he was actually the best goalie in the league.

Right now, the old guy got into my head, I see him as extremely hard to crack and quite easily the best goalie in the league. Thomas is just intimidating now, Hasek was the last that left me that impression..

God damn, you guys post so much in only 3 weeks time. It sucks that I only got to watch Game 6 and 7 of the finals (especially since I found 'em boring), were any of the other games any good?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, the series was pretty shitty overall although the way Game 1 and 2 were won were pretty cool (20 seconds before end of 3rd, 11 seconds into first OT).

I just wanted to say how much I love the internet. It may just be "oh haha stupid city rioting" to those outside Vancouver but I'm absolutely livid about these assholes who came without really giving a shit about the game just to take advantage of the large crowds + booze and cause destruction. That's why I'm glad stuff like this exists:

http://www.identifyrioters.com/
Post Riot Clean-up - Let's help Vancouver

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I saw this image on the internet and it's quite lol:

According to the stories the average age of the rioters was 22 or 23. They also rioted when the New York Rangers won Game 7 in 1994 (though obviously that was a different group of rioters).

Not sure why they wanted to re-enact 1994 though, seems like a dumb thing to do, especially since these punks were school kidlets at best in '94.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some of the people who started it were recognized by VPD as being the same people who started shit during the Olympics. It would have happened win or lose and the constant mention of '94 + 100,000 people downtown helped it happen.

It's looking increasingly likely they'll catch a ton of them though. People in Vancouver are pretty steaming mad at them. With photos going up from people all over the place and ICBC looking to be able to provide their facial recognition + driver license matching tech for this, I can see people regretting their actions pretty sure :)

Bleh, as much as it pains me to say it congrats to the Bruins on the Cup win, you were definitely the better team in the final. Just remember that we almost had you knocked out way back in round 1 :P

Should be an interesting offseason for the Canadiens. Lots of potential for change on defense with Hamrlik, Wisnewski, and most importantly Markov all potential free agents. My prediction is that they sign Markov and let the other two walk, hoping that Markov will actually stay healthy, but we'll see. If they do let Markov walk, they could potentially go after one of the two Vancouver defenseman (assuming one of them isn't resigned), but that seems unlikely. Of course we're set in net, though Auld is a free agent so we may need a new backup, and up front all the key players are signed. The biggest improvement we could make there is getting Gomez to actually play well (sigh), but barring that there isn't much to do up front. The Canadiens are actually one of the teams Jagr has apparently been considering but I doubt we'll get him and tbh I'm not sure if we want him or not (though him and Plekanec could make a good combination). All in all I doubt we'll do a whole lot, but I'm still confident we'll be a contender next year.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
French names on the Stanley Cup :

Props to my man Claude.

The guy's coaching was questionned more than should have. It must feel great to silence your critics... until next year.

And to one of my favourite players in the league, Patrice.

Went to hell and back and is now better than how he left at. I questionned whether his career was over or already in the decline before he even hit 25 but he's now peaking as one of the best and complete 2-way centers in the entire league. I think people understand better why he was at the Olympics in Vancouver now.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seeing these guys at the parade yesterday was awesome. Got there around 6 am, I think we were the first people there out of an estimated million+, who I'm sure will all be deemed "fair weather" fans according to Boston haters. I just wish I could have seen Tim Thomas, all I saw was a pair of arms holding the Conn Smythe because of Chara's ginormous body getting in the way. The Stanley Cup is the most magnificent trophy I've ever seen, glowing in the sunlight. The whole day was awesome, I'll try to upload some pics if my camera stops being a bitch.

Also, there were so many cops there that it was ridiculous. You couldn't look in any direction without seeing cops lined up. 10 times as many people as the Vancouver riots with no problems though, it was quite a spectacle. As far as I know, nothing happened except a couple cases of heatstroke. They were wheeling an old guy up the parade route on a stretcher to get him help, and then 10 minutes later we saw them wheeling the same guy back down the opposite way because they ran into the front of the parade. I couldn't help but feel bad for that guy.

Lidstrom back for another year. It's difficult to describe how worshipped he tends to be by most of the Wings fan community, so I can practically feel the collective sigh of relief. I'm not sure if life post-Lidstrom will be as bad as it seems, but I'm sure glad I get to see another year of one of the league's greats.

Of course, Raf's replacement is still an interesting dilemma... it's kinda funny how half the league seems to be penciling in Ehrhoff on their rosters, that dude is gonna make bank if he wants it.

2 -- Americans who have won the Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the Playoffs. Boston goaltender Tim Thomas became the first American to win the trophy since the Rangers' Brian Leetch in 1994.
2 items of importance here.

First and foremost, Brian Leetch - the reason I played D, the reason I wore 2, the reason I now wear 22 since most teams don't normally have a 2 ( which is really odd) growing up but always carried 22.

Secondly, 1994, also a Stanley Cup final featuring the Canucks. Also a seven game series.

Can't believe Stevie Y didn't win GM of the year. That absolutely enraged me. It was nice that the MC gave a nice speech to recognize Yzerman. I'm actually slightly surprised Lidstrom (NOT LINDSTROM YOU IDIOTS!!!) won the Norris...

Also, i love how the MC trashed Edmonton and Vancouver, that was hilarious...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)