The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely do a strength training program if you want to get better at parkour/traceur. Starting Strength is as good a program as any, but you could also try this program that I use:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

as long as you're getting stronger though it doesn't really matter which program you're on.

Of course you'll want to avoid getting big if you're doing parkour, but getting big is entirely a function of what you eat, so just don't overeat and you won't have a problem. Undereating could lead to problems when the weight gets heavy so you'll want to find a middle ground.
thanks, the strength training did marvels for my pathetic parkour but i have a question does repeated impacts on the feet will have a negative effect in my growth? i heard a rumor about weightlifting stunning growth but according to other sources (can't remember, Discovery Channel maybe?) the impacts cause microfractures that the body repairs a little bigger and stronger

I have a question to ask you guys.

My track coach said that he didn't recommend me lifting weights. However, I'm not sure if I should do some light lifting as I want to be more muscular and I'm pretty light at the moment (108 lbs at 5'6 1/2"). Should I just stick to body weight exercises like pushups and such? What would be a good workout plan for someone getting into running? I'm thinking listen to my coach, but I wonder if lifting weights would really hurt my running ability. With just body weight exercises and running, is 115 lbs of mostly muscle by the end of the summer a reasonable goal (I am also considering MAYBE doing wrestling as a way to get fit which is another reason I want to be more muscular, not sure how to effectively do this without lifting).

Also, how would I ensure that most of my weight gain is muscle, not fat? Or is it fine for me to gain some fat at this stage if it's also muscle? I haven't been paying attention to what I've been eating lately but I think I'll start now that it's summer.

So my questions are: Should I lift if I'm doing running? And, what should I eat and how much?

For reference I am a 16 year old male.

whether you should lift depends on a few things. if you're doing field events or events 400m or shorter, then by all means lift, as it will actually help your running. What would be best would be a lifting program with lots of olympic style lifts (like cleans) and heavy compounds lifts (like deadlifts).

if you're running middle distance or distance, then yes, lifting can set you back, though probably not much. nobody wins races running on their arms, and more mass = more oxygen needed to go at any given speed. so yes, it will be detrimental to you. if you only want to bulk up to 115 pounds, then probably no, it won't be too big an issue, as long as you do a quality strength routine with lots of compounds and olympic stuff, and low reps of really heavy weight. you have to decide if your track event is so important to you that you should sacrifice muscle and strength for it at all costs, or if you're willing to make a small concession in order to be bigger and stronger. as long as you're not gaining 50 lbs, it shouldn't affect you too much unless you're a marathoner or something.

as for how you eat, it depends on how much you run. your caloric maintenance at 106 pounds is around 1700 calories, so in order to slowly gain muscle without gaining any (well, very little) fat, eat at least 2000 or so calories a day, plus 100 extra for each mile you run per day, since that's about how much you burn with each mile. I'd say 100 grams of protein a day is fine, and make sure to eat lots of carbohydrates because it's very taxing to run and lift.

Oh man august I'm sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while; otherwise I would've helped you out with your vaulting (but track is now over =\ ).

Anyway, I now leave in less than a month for the Naval Academy and am planning on running and doing bodyweight exercises every day until then starting tomorrow...or maybe Friday. I have to cancel my gym membership because I'm leaving, and the entirety of the physical exercise I'll be doing over summer consists of running and bodyweight exercises so I'm figuring it'd be best to train for that.

I also have a goal of being able to walk on my hands and do ten full hand-stand pushups before I go :P.

Anyways, I'm super excited.

Oh, and as a sad note, I was unable to powerclean 250lbs before school ended - I ended up with a max of 235lbs this year, which isn't really bad at all considering I weigh only 150ish pounds at the moment.

My events are the 1600m and the 800m, so yeah, I'm doing distance events. I'm definitely doing cross country next year, too.

I haven't been running since season ended, but I'm planning on doing so. If I don't lift, what are some good alternatives to weightlifting? I know pushups and situps and planks are good, but I'm not sure what else.

@guesty
I'm not an expert at this stuff (im pretty overweight) but based on the advice a lot of people have given me, lifting weights at your age is perfectly fine. It probably won't stunt your growth at all. Pushups are still great, and running can help tone your muscles, as well as make you leaner. You probably know that adding on muscles makes you heavier than you would be if you put on fat. I say you should lift some weights (benching or w/e its called), do a lot of pushups, situps, and run a little to stay lean but strong.

My events are the 1600m and the 800m, so yeah, I'm doing distance events. I'm definitely doing cross country next year, too.

I haven't been running since season ended, but I'm planning on doing so. If I don't lift, what are some good alternatives to weightlifting? I know pushups and situps and planks are good, but I'm not sure what else.
what i do, since i don't have access to weights, is make sure to not eat too much (so as to not put on muscle) and do the bodyweight equivalents of a lifting routine called starting strength. i replace bench presses with dips (and as they got easy, progressively add weight in the form of textbooks), replaced deadlifts with pullups (added weight here too, in small increments), replaced barbel squats with pistol squats (adding a lot of weight to these is tricky but they're hard enough with just bw and I run a lot), and the military press with handstand pushups (still working on increasing the range of motion until i reach full rom. once that gets easy i dont know what i'll do but by then i'll be hella strong anyways). on the power clean day, i just do pullups since there is no bodyweight equivalent. every now and then when i feel like working abs i throw in dragon flags to failure, which for me is like 2-3 reps max depending on the day, for 2 or 3 sets. maybe try that out, it's not perfect but certainly better than nothing and you gain strength without too much muscle mass so you're good.

i run the 800 and 1600 as well btw. oh and you should probably start running again asap

*sigh*

I really do hate running. It just isn't my thing.

I went running around my neighborhood today, and when I got back home, I was pooped. So...many...hills...GAH! I'm somewhat proud that I actually went out and did it; I've been meaning to go to the gym ever since summer break began about two weeks ago, but I always made up some excuse not to go. This was my first time running around my neighborhood, and the hills were definitely were a challenge.

Admittedly, I had to stop and walk for a little bit at one point. The ear piece for the iTouch I was listening to kept on falling out, and it had begun to frustrate me, so I slowed to walk to put in it back in securely. Once I started walking, though, it felt so easy, so I just kept on walking for like...a minute, I'll say. It was the only time I walked throughout the whole run, and I was going down a hill at the moment; that's better than walking up a hill isn't it? I figured that running uphill is more physically taxing, so I made an effort to run up every hill I encountered, and that if I were to walk at all, it would only be downhill.

But other than that, I finished up my run by exerting myself at around 60% of my maximum. At that point, I was so tired that I couldn't really muster anything else.

What worries me, however, is how tired and sore I was after my run. I had to bend over, sit down, and just plain stop moving so that I could focus on breathing. Hell, when I got in the shower, I just sat down for a good minute or so! My lower back was just killing me, too. Even after my shower was done, I chose to lie down on my bad for a good five minutes or so. And then I came to type up this post. At this point, I'm not physically tired, but mentally, I'm exhausted.

So yeah, I definitely need to improve my endurance. I'm already dreading doing this tomorrow...any of you got any suggestions as to how I can improve my endurance? I'll always hate running, but I've got to stay in shape somehow, and from what I've heard, running is the best way to do it. Apparently running is also a full body workout as well, so I guess that's a plus.

Edit: Oh, yeah, in my defense, I'm recovering from a bad cold, and I'm still going through some moderate chest congestion. I'm almost certain that it is affecting my oxygen intake because I was wheezing slightly both during the end of my run and after it.

Edit2: Ok, so...I don't know if I deserved to be punched in the face or patted on the back. Somehow I was able to jog around my neighborhood without stopping to walk at all. And here's the kicker; it wasn't even THAT hard. I really don't understand how this happened. Lol, I mean...my butt (literally, my whole ass) was still sore from yesterday's run, and I had been worrying about how horribly I would I do on this run all day. Then 7:30 PM rolled around, and I just decided to go out there and do it.

Well, there were a few different things that might have contributed to my much smoother run. For one thing, I drank more water than usual this morning. I also started my run much later this time around, so it was cooler. But the real trick, I believe, was that I took it super-easy when I was going down the hills and I just really focused on maintaining a decent pace when the ground was level or when I was going uphill. When I went down hill, I just let gravity do it's thing; I didn't stop jogging, but I was exerting so little energy that I was actually able to "recharge" a little bit. When I was done, I was much less fatigued than I had been after yesterday's run, too, so that's a plus. I didn't to sit around or any of that nonsense. I just walked around for a little bit as a cool-down phase, went upstairs, and took my shower.

I wouldn't really call it true progression in my endurance, though. I guess it was just new to me yesterday, and my body was a bit more used to it this time around. I'll see how I do tomorrow before I decide to make any changes to how long/hard I run.

i hate cardio but i am in a cutting phase. can anyone preach the virtues of HIIT? i just really hate going 60% of my maximum on a treadmill for 30 minutes, or just boring ass jogging.

i sprint two laps (takes about two minutes), take a 30 second water break, do twenty burpies, take a minute long break (they tire me out more so i need the longer break), then skip at a medium pace for 2 minutes. this counts as one cycle and i do about 5-8 of them.

i haven't been here in a very long time(school/work/etc) but i never stopped training. here is where i am at now

i essentially do body weight exercises with a few weighted variants (pushups/dips/pullups etc)

right now i am working my way up to 205lbs to compete in the light heavyweight division in MMA

current stats:
175lbs
6'4"
i'll post up some of my exercise routines later

Well, I didn't go running yesterday because I didn't have the time, but I'm about to go running with my mom right now...she's a little on the heavy side, so I'm gonna have to go slower than normal most likely. Meh. To be honest, I don't really want to go, but I guess I just gotta suck it up and do it.

Got back from my run about 15 minutes ago. I love how my whole attitude is completely opposite before and after a run, lol. I feel good.

Edit: I didn't go running yesterday, and I don't know if I'm gonna go running today because I've been out running errands most of the day and it feels so hot right now...I think starting tomorrow I'm gonna go running in the mornings. That way I won't ever have an excuse not to run, lol

Lol don't complain about it being too hot. It's been going over the 100s here in Las Vegas for quite a while. Today's a pretty cool day though at...95* F.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I stay fit and do a variety of workouts regularly, but there have been a few changes in the last year for me.

1.) I HATE running. If I have a fight or a competition coming up, I'll run some sprints, but I will absolutely not run otherwise. I'll hit the eliptical for a 20-30 minute warmup, but I absolutely detest running. There are alternatives to running though, like getting involved in a sport. I can play a full 90 minute soccer game as a left midfielder and have fun, but ask me to run a couple of miles? No way.

2.) I'm finding alternatives to free weights. I've been lifting for 6 years now, I've grown extremely bored of going to the gym and using free weights. I'm actually trying out new programs, such as using tires. I find it's a lot easier to work out when you have even a little bit of fun while working hard.

If you're looking to start working out, my advice to anyone is to start small and increase. At least for me, it's normally really hard on my body to start full tilt if I take a couple of weeks off, and I like doing a few sessions where I'll do 3/4 of a normal workout for a couple of days, and then increase it again.

Also, anyone know if it's possibly to lose muscle mass but retain strength? I'm looking to shed a few pounds of muscle, but I don't want to lose too much strength.

just eat less. why do you dislike running so much? i find going for a quick run relaxing.

what kind of lifting do you do? bodybuilding or powerlifting? either way you really just need to eat less. just google healthy eating habits to learn about what to eat etc. if you do body building lifting i'd suggest plyometric drills and body weight moves in favor of free weights. i don't really want to sound like an infomercial so PM me if you want me to explain anything in depth.

i hate cardio but i am in a cutting phase. can anyone preach the virtues of HIIT? i just really hate going 60% of my maximum on a treadmill for 30 minutes, or just boring ass jogging.

i sprint two laps (takes about two minutes), take a 30 second water break, do twenty burpies, take a minute long break (they tire me out more so i need the longer break), then skip at a medium pace for 2 minutes. this counts as one cycle and i do about 5-8 of them.
i hate cardio with a passion as well. i just finished an elepctical session (my step mom has one) and did a 15 minute HIIT thingy.

1 minute level 4
20 seconds level 11 -> 40 seconds level 4
repeat until 5 mins
30 seconds level 11 -> 60 seconds level 4

then more 20->40 until 13 minutes and a 2 minute cool down.

ive been done for more than 7 minutes and my heart rate is still over 120

pretty much HIIT tire you out, feel like a 40 minute workout when its only 15. They aparently also leave your body in a anabolic state for the next like 2 hours when your body keeps burning more fat

also i got a free sample of Superpump 250 and i will be trying it out today. will be working out at home with only 52.5 dumbells max so I'll see if i can notice the effects and will write a mini review here if anyone gives a shit

mini review:

I do not really know about the cost as it was a free sample. The taste was OK, not too good, but not bad. Still drinkable.

I had an amazing workout. I did personal bests in every single excercise I did. Curled a 40 in my 4 sets 8-8-7-6 when i usually do 6-6-5-4. Did lateral raises with 20s 13-14-13-11 when i usually do around 10 each time. Similiar results for pushups, squats, chest press, row etc.

Had a protein shake afterwards and saw toy story 3. Did not jitter at ALL during the movie and did not feel any sort of crash WHATSOEVER. All in all pretty good.

5 bulging biceps out of 6

bump for great justice!

so guys, I've been running A LOT and also experimenting a ton lately. So basically for the past 3 years I have been blindly following my coach whose belief is that invervals make champions (i made a thread some years back about training, and I was shocked by people like 5krunner telling me to up the mileage to 40 iles per week--I thought they meant 40 mpw of 400 and 200 meter repeats!), so I've had 3 years of 20 mpw of constant sprinting. in anatomy class, I read about two dudes, jack daniels and arthur lydiard, and their training methods. since i'm a 800/1600 guy, I naturally was interested in this concept of an aerobic base that they both preached about. i eagerly told myself that as soon as summer started i'd get running right away.

I'm not terribly fast, so bear with my paces. I originally had a plan of upping mileage by ridiculous amounts very quickly (i.e. jumping from my usual 20 to 75+ in a few weeks). I felt fine during the runs, but after my first super high week (78 mpw) I just felt like shit the next week and decided that i had jumped too fast. so I then decided to start low and increase by 5 mpw until I reached around 50, at which point I would increase by 10% unless my body told me otherwise. I got to around 35 mpw and found myself exhausted by paces as slow as 9+ mm (minutes per mile). To be frank, I was just not enjoying it. What frustrated me further was that in the beginning I could run at paces like 5:30 mm and slowing down felt like a chore. a half hour later, I'd look at my watch and it'd tell me 9:30 and i'd feel the exact same as i felt during the 5:30 pace! very discouraging indeed.

so I decided to experiment a little more. I started to run by time rather than distance, using a basic plan of an hour monday, an hour and a half tuesday, an hour wednesday, an hour and a half to two hours thursday, depending on how i felt, an hour friday, 2+ hours saturday, and an hour and a half sunday. I told myself I could do these because during my original super fast buildup, I did such ridiculous things as 20 mile runs which took me longer than 3 hours. 2 hours once a week would not kill me, and I was very used to running for an hour or more. I started very conservatively, running 10+ minutes per mile, which amazingly enough still totaled me at 55 miles per week on the first week, feeling 100 times better than even the 35 mile week that I had only a week before! I decided to continue, and figured the mileage would increase naturally as I got fitter (since by putting in the same effort, I would go faster and thus for more miles in the given time). this worked for me very well, and with motivation provided by some really fast guys here in Greece (we're talking sub 4:15 milers and 14:00 5kers), I seem to have come a long way in a short time.

It hasn't been without some stupidity on my part. My shoes are kind of bulky and "have a lot of arch support" and all that bs, and they always hurt my feet a little. I figured this would go away and it was always bearable. Anyways. Last week I ran about 70 miles using the run by time schedule (equates to just over 8:00 mm), my legs felt great, I'm getting better quickly without additional effort, etc. But my feet hurt a lot more than normal. So this week (yesterday), I decided to try and go out barefoot. During the run, my feet felt great. A little cut up, it seemed, but that was to be expected since my skin was not used to concrete. well, I noticed at the end of my run that while my feet no longer hurt (i.e. the pain i felt while running in the shoes--impact related type pain), I now have a total of 6 blisters on the bottom of each foot (all in the same spots, my feet are the same shape and thus, I assume, have made blisters in the same places). to give you a better idea, one of them is 3 inches long (I kid you not) and they essentially cover my entire foot except for the very top of the arch. And my feet were incredibly dirty, so scrubbing them clean was a bit of an ordeal (i'd like to see any of you guys trying to scrub blisters as huge as mine). Today, I'm finding it difficult to walk due to the pain of these, and it's helped me realize how stupid a decision I made.

anyways, I walked to the local store and bought pool shoes today. Here is my reasoning: they provide zero arch support or any of that, since they're not designed for it (i.e. they are very close to barefoot, they don't force your foot into a position--kind of like track spikes or racing flats, which I normally train in but did not bring along this summer). so they are the shape that doesn't force my foot to contort and give it the achy, impact type pain that my shoes give. they are also durable and waterproof, so they keep my thin skin from the roughness of the road, provide some protection from pebbles, etc. essentially they're like socks with treads. I figure once my blisters heal and my feet allow me to run again, I'll give them ago. hopefully I wont be out for more than a few days to maybe a week.

so yeah, anybody have an opinion on the pool shoes? at 6 euros a pair, I can replace them every 2 weeks or so, so they'll last me until I get home to my traditional shoes. it just seems wacky I guess to be using them for something they weren't designed for but I really don't see why not.

I'm a soccer player so my build is strong thighs and legs, and small-ish upper body. The thing is that during fitness tests and whatnot I can get through the tests if I'm on overdrive but when I'm playing on the pitch, I can play for the whole 90 minutes and still have a good amount of energy AFTER the game, which seems really strange. I noticed it when my teammates pointed it out to me. My fitness test scores were middle range, but I have much more energy on the pitch then just about everyone on my team, excluding one man.

Any ideas on why this is?

Also, my one of my friends complains that he has a little belly fat + larger then average thighs. I tried to help him but I was kind of "born" into the smaller figure. I always played sports and my parents taught me since childhood to obtain proper nutrients and whatnot so it's natural to me. Any suggestions for him on how to get rid of belly fat + reduce his thigh mass. He said he wanted his results before the beginning of school. In Canada that's in 1st/2nd week of September.

Anyone have advice on gaining weight? I'm seventeen and about 5'10'' and 160 at the moment, so despite a few inches grown since last year, I'm almost the exact same weight. I go to the gym a lot and mainly do weight training, and a tiny bit of cardio. I spend a lot of time in the sauna, which is probably my biggest enemy for gaining weight, but the sauna's so nice. :p Most of what I eat is either from a can or a drive-thru, and a BBQ dinner every now and then. As far as my activities, I'm usually sitting around letting my ass grow or wrestling, swimming, riding a bike. I'm pretty much all the way on or all the way off when it comes to being active. So if anyone has advice about a change in diet or weight training programs that would help me gain, let me know. Thanks.

All sauna does is make you losse water. Don't do strict cardio, use a weightlifting program instead. It builds muscle which is good weight you need. Also, ascess the number of calories you eat a day and add a few hundred more in. Constantly eat like every two hours with small meals with some protein in each meal. I would really look at bodybuilding.com guides to gain weight, they know the most about this stuff.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The thing is that during fitness tests and whatnot I can get through the tests if I'm on overdrive but when I'm playing on the pitch, I can play for the whole 90 minutes and still have a good amount of energy AFTER the game, which seems really strange. I noticed it when my teammates pointed it out to me. My fitness test scores were middle range, but I have much more energy on the pitch then just about everyone on my team, excluding one man.

Any ideas on why this is?
Because, assuming by fitness test you're referring to something like an MSFT/bleep test, they're of a much higher intensity than a game of football which allows you to stop dozens of times throughout the match. Throw-ins, goal kicks, free kicks, or just when the ball is out of your range allows you to get a breather. There's also the competitive element that is more prominent in football and is likely to drive you on.

Found this old video of me playing around with a football - link. It's dated mid 2006, I think it goes quite well for the first 20 seconds then goes to hell for the last 20 heh. I don't even recall doing it so I can't give any more insight than that, worth a watch though!

Haha Stathakis, I like the romantic notion of running barefooted, it makes me think of Marathon (the Greek, not the event) and other ancient shit like that. I would advise against doing prolonged running in shoes that weren't designed with running in mind. Without proper shock absorption you're just asking for horrible injuries like medial tibial stress syndrome or patella tendinopathy. And also be aware that upping mileage too quickly is one of the most common causes of injuries in serious runners. Have a scan over this:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/safeincreasing.shtml

I must sound like such a killjoy, I know it's starting to seem like every post I make in this thread is warning people about the dangers of running but y'know...just be careful!

Anyone have advice on gaining weight? I'm seventeen and about 5'10'' and 160 at the moment, so despite a few inches grown since last year, I'm almost the exact same weight. I go to the gym a lot and mainly do weight training, and a tiny bit of cardio. I spend a lot of time in the sauna, which is probably my biggest enemy for gaining weight, but the sauna's so nice. :p Most of what I eat is either from a can or a drive-thru, and a BBQ dinner every now and then. As far as my activities, I'm usually sitting around letting my ass grow or wrestling, swimming, riding a bike. I'm pretty much all the way on or all the way off when it comes to being active. So if anyone has advice about a change in diet or weight training programs that would help me gain, let me know. Thanks.
if you want to gain weight, eat more. It's that simple. Calories in > Calories out and you will gain weight. I recommend more milk.

Haha Stathakis, I like the romantic notion of running barefooted, it makes me think of Marathon (the Greek, not the event) and other ancient shit like that. I would advise against doing prolonged running in shoes that weren't designed with running in mind. Without proper shock absorption you're just asking for horrible injuries like medial tibial stress syndrome or patella tendinopathy. And also be aware that upping mileage too quickly is one of the most common causes of injuries in serious runners. Have a scan over this:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/safeincreasing.shtml

I must sound like such a killjoy, I know it's starting to seem like every post I make in this thread is warning people about the dangers of running but y'know...just be careful!
fuk

it feels so easy though. my legs can take it no problem and are asking for more. i'm starting to wonder if my feet can though. i tried going up in the mountains with the pool shoes today and they really tore through my feet, same impact type pain but even worse than my running shoes. i think i may just drop the mileage and increase at a slower pace so that my feet can get stronger and keep up with my legs. but yeah here in greece there's nowhere really to run except the roads and the mountains, both of which are extremely hard surfaces so maybe I'll just take it easy for the 3 weeks I have left here and then go up in the fields/trails/dirt of texas.

p.s. killjoy or not I really appreciate your input more than maybe anyone elses, seeing as you yourself like to do crazy things and are now paying for it. I have a thing or two to learn from your wisdom. might as well not make the same mistakes. so thanks =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)