The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

wow. that was an amazing episode! did anyone else get Darth Vader vibes from Hiroshi?

*not quoting exactly*

(Hiroshi extends electric robotic glove to daughter--look familiar?) Hiroshi: Join me, Asami. We can end this destructive conflict, and create a better Republic City for the two of us!

Asami: I'll never join you! *electrocutes Hiroshi*
Actually, the real quote was "I love you, Dad," before she electrocutes him - I think this was a much better choice of words than "I'll never join you!" because it shows a lot about her character; about how conflicted yet righteous she is, about how she still loves him but won't hesitate even a second to do justice.

I still agree it's kinda pathetic how the benders keep losing essentially, especially when we're talking about 3 masters and earthbenders being able to bend metal (which itself can't be too easy given Toph had to discover it, and likely not everyone can sense the impurities in metal that easily). I was also annoyed how they still used little metal wire bending against giant mechs, seriously just crush the fuckers with good ol fashion earth bending, yeesh...you're in the enemy lair, who cares what flooring you might destroy. And how is it that platinum can't be bent either, that kinda got lost on me...
In the original A:TLA, Toph explains that her metalbending comes from her ability to bend the earth and minerals within the metal. Because the doors around Sato's underground chamber were made of almost pure platinum, there aren't enough impurities within the metal itself for earthbenders to be able to exploit.

Happy 500 posts, thread-goers.

Mako is a dick lol

I really don't like him now... Bolin is by far my favorite character, his interactions with Pabu and everyone else is just hilarious and entertaining, definitely keeps me on my toes laughing. I also agree that I find it rather disconcerting that even master benders are so easily defeated by the equalists. Korra got knocked down in one shot, and all Tenzin did was push back Hiroshi's mech a few feet... Though, admittedly, his Airbending is quite awesome to watch. Chief BeiFong was definitely the most successful, her fucking metal swords are freakin badass (goddamn she gets more badass every episode...), she actually managed to do some serious damage to a mech, whereas Korra just shot some Fireballs that didn't end up doing anything -____-

God Korra's such a noob, why can't you just beat an equalist for once lol

Edit: Also, this: "Even your renowned mother couldn't bend metal this pure."

BULLSHIT HIROSHI

Toph fucking invented metalbending, she can bend ANYFUCKINGTHING that's made of metal so stfu nig

/end rant

breh

強いだね
I hope I'm not the only one mildly irritated that they used platinum, a pretty malleable metal, to make a freaking wall. Also good god there must be larger quantities of platinum in the Avatar world; precious metal my ass, they might as well cover all of the equalists with it if it exists in those quantities (from the magic of the Internet, apparently the amount that has been mined to this day is about 8000 cubic feet; that wall is about a half of that value, from my estimate).

I also hope I'm not the only one irritated that metalbenders, dressed in coats of metal, can get electrocuted. Aren't they pretty much in giant faraday cages?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Considering Toph's HATRED of footwear I'm surprised that Lin chooses to limit her seismic sense.

That being said I really hope Lin's going rouge does not end with the predictable "finds Amon, loses bending".

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I may be misremembering this, but wasn't Metal Bending known as a thing before Toph "discovered" it? I remember someone was telling Aang about it as Toph figured it out by using Seismic Sense. I also remember that Bumi knew about Seismic Sense before hand too, telling Aang to find an Earthbending teacher who "waited and listened", and for some reason I associate Bumi with Metal Bending as well... Maybe not though on the latter.

breh

強いだね
Metalbending is, as far as I know, discovered by Toph. The seismic sense seems to be an Earthbender thing, though; it's not one of Toph's discoveries, just a mechanism for sight.

Considering Toph's HATRED of footwear I'm surprised that Lin chooses to limit her seismic sense.

That being said I really hope Lin's going rouge does not end with the predictable "finds Amon, loses bending".
It would be pretty difficult to zoom through the city or police dangerous places without shoes.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Bolin's gonna be the first platinumbender and Mako is gonna be able to suck electricity out of batteries from a distance.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Someone on another forum I visit had a theory that Amon is actually an avatar himself; as Aang has died twice. This would make Korra's Air Bending problem make more sense, as if the cycle is correct Amon would be the Water Bender while Korra should be an Earth Bender.

Then again it doesn't really add up since we've never seen Amon do anything aside from what he says is Energy Bending.

That doesn't make any sense to me tbh, the Avatar is a continued re-incarnation of the same spirit/person/thing and there cannot be two avatars at once. Plus, the Avatar's job is to restore peace and balance to the universe and it appears to me that Amon is upsetting that balance with his crazy equalist movement. I guess it would make sense that he's trying to "level the playing field" but any good avatar would know he's going too far.

Remind me how Aang's died twice? If you're referring to when Azula shot him, that doesn't work - if the avatar reincarnation happens upon death, and Amon is in his thirties or even forties, Aang would have to have "died twice" at a much older age than he was in the original A:TLA. Theory doesn't make much sense to me either.

Amon is probably just a bender who wants to rule the world because he's an arrogant sob.

Not that that makes him any less terrifying to deal with.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
According to that monk, had Ang not recovered from his wound fighting Azula, the avatar cycle should of ended because Ang was in the Avatar state when he died.

Someone on another forum I visit had a theory that Amon is actually an avatar himself; as Aang has died twice.
That doesn't make any sense to me tbh, the Avatar is a continued re-incarnation of the same spirit/person/thing and there cannot be two avatars at once.
Remind me how Aang's died twice? If you're referring to when Azula shot him, that doesn't work - if the avatar reincarnation happens upon death, and Amon is in his thirties or even forties, Aang would have to have "died twice" at a much older age than he was in the original A:TLA. Theory doesn't make much sense to me either.
Also when Aang was killed by Azula he was in the avatar state. As mentioned by Roku in "The Avatar State" (Season 2 Episode 1) if someone is killed while in said state there will be no reincarnation.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a theory I read guys. It's not like I believe it. As for the whole die in the Avatar state issue no avatar has has been killed in the state, and further more none of them have been brought back to life after that. It could be possible that there is somewhat if a counter-balance that is employed if that happens. If the Avatar is supposed to bring balance onto the world then there should be a figure who is born to cause chaos. The show is very spiritual, this goes along with the yin yang idea the show has always
employed

edit:
amon could easily be in his fifties.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
One question that bothers me about the whole, "die in the Avatar State and the cycle is broken", if it's never happened before how is everyone aware of the fact?

One question that bothers me about the whole, "die in the Avatar State and the cycle is broken", if it's never happened before how is everyone aware of the fact?
Probably some legend in the past about the first avatar, where the avatar got the state but was warned by whatever gave it to him or her, that it would be lost if you died while in that state.

Yeah Im also calling bullshit on amon as an avatar. If ang dies in the avatar state, regardless of his coming back to life, another avatar would not be born, because if you die in the avatar state don't get reincarnated...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)