The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Mixed bag for me.

I thought Tarlok and Amon's background was really well done and Tarlok's final act was awesome.

Had a few complaints though. The major one being how Amon's been hiding his waterbending for years and his first reaction to losing a fight? Make a giant water tower so everyone can see you -.- Getting away, playing dead, there were many better strategies.

Preferred Korra alone > Borra > Makorra, but it was obvious which one it was gonna be at the end.

Kind of wondered how Amon survived a point blank lightning attack, but I'll chalk that up under him being a badass.

When did airbending use fists? Really minor, but bothered me a bit.

Finally, we never figured out how Amon took bending away! Maybe season 2 ...
Korra's airbending is probably influenced by her personality, so she airbends with her fists? Idk. There were several things that bothered me too, like the massive deus ex machina in just about everything, Tenzin's family suddenly getting captured when the entire point of last week's episode was Lin ensuring that they got away safely, Bumi's fleet surviving the second Equalist assault with no apparent problems, Bolin's lack of character development and constant portrayal as simple comic relief, and Mako's complete lack of chemistry with Korra. There were MANY great things, but Korra overall obviously had to be paced much faster than A:TLA and you can see what really suffers from that.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How are they dead? Haven't the writers proven themselves enough already that they are very capable. I have no doubt in my mind that season 2 will be as good, if not better, then season.

Also, I don't think you could write a better season finale if ya tried... At least, not an hour long one.

And I can't be the only one that absolutely loved the pacing that this series has, can I?
I never said that the season finale was bad. In fact, I said it was beautiful. And when I said that it was dead w/o some major plot twisting, I mean that they'll probably have to shove some random new villain into the story (unless Amon lived, which would be very interesting). But yeah. They probably will find a way to make a good 2nd season, I'm just saying that it will be alot harder with so much resolved in the finale. Also, unrelated but I still gotta know what happens to Zuko's mom, so that better be in season 2 or something. Also, the faster pacing is good in some regards, but also can be problematic in terms of character development. Hopefully they try and fix this in the next season. Like I said it was amazing though

How did Naga get past the electric fence?

Anyway, I really like how this ended overall I feel a bit annoyed that they are going to force more seasons out of it, but hopefully they are done well and I don't have anything to worry about.

That was definitely an amazing finale. Not as good overall as all of Sozin's Comet but I think the last 5 minutes were better than almost everything in ATLA. Also, the remixed music from Avatar was so nostalgic :x

The build up during and too the episode was fantastic but honestly, the last act was a real let down for me.

I am actually kinda pissed, I really REALLY wanted a better explanation then "oh hes a bloodbender ... so he bloodbent ... your bending away"

That and one of the biggest moments for the avatar being done so simply? Really? "Oh Shit kinda sucks right now, let me show you how to go avatar mode and fix everyone!"

They really really needed another 30mins to flesh that stuff out

That and the usual fuck you Mako

How did Naga get past the electric fence?

Anyway, I really like how this ended overall I feel a bit annoyed that they are going to force more seasons out of it, but hopefully they are done well and I don't have anything to worry about.
Maybe Bolin broke the towers, that or they were turned off when bringing in the captured Team Avatar + Iroh

Tarrlok's revealing of the past was beautiful. but, I feel like this season finale just doesn't seem to measure up to any of the season finales of AtLA, but that's mainly due to the fact that LoK as a series was rushed.

also, tears did stream out of my eyes in the last scene and I never cry like..ever

i'm really impressed that they managed to make the finale really feel like a conclusion but still leave the stage wide open for the next season. i'm guessing it will start off mostly with addressing the inequalities between benders and non benders since they never properly addressed it this season

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The build up during and too the episode was fantastic but honestly, the last act was a real let down for me.

I am actually kinda pissed, I really REALLY wanted a better explanation then "oh hes a bloodbender ... so he bloodbent ... your bending away"
My theory is that since chi-blocking relies on hitting pressure points to stop peoples bending, he uses bloodbending to permanently damage said points, thus stopping them from bending.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Korra goes Avatar State; gets all her bending back.

Then she revolutionizes all bending forever by inventing tonguebending, thusly finding her way into Mako's throat.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I was waiting for that ever since TLK started ... to be completely honest, that was a terrific ending to a spectacular season.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
oh my god all my tears

i definitely dont like how it wasnt explained how you can bending away (or give it back) with bloodbendin though, really...

also lovin korra's airbendin style!

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was like OMG! when Korra took on Sato's planes. I was like DAMN!!! when Tarlokk revealed Amon was his bro. I was like I KNEW IT! when the story of Amon was revealed. I was like OH NO!! when the Airbender family was revealed to be captured. I was like OH MEELO!!! when Meelo went "Prison Break!!!" I was like YO GO GIRL! when Naga took on those tanks. I was like LIGHTNING GUN! when Iroh launched lightning from his fingertips at the planes. I was like SHIT JUST GOT REAL! when Asami and Hiroshi fought. I was like NOOOO!!! when Amon took Korra's bending. I was like YEAH!!!! when Korra showed off her Airbending on Amon. I was like ._. when Tarlokk blew up the ship he and Amon were on (cuz I thought he'd knock out Amon instead). I was like I KNEW IT!!! when Aang appeared (and surprised about Kyoshi, Roku, and the other Avatar appearing). I was like YES!!!! when Korra went Avatar state. I was like WOO!!!! when Lin got back her bending.

(and throughout the whole episode(s), I was hoping Asami wouldn't turn to the dark side, which she didn't! <3)

Overall, I give it a 100/10!

I only have three words to say about the season finale.

Oh. My. God.

Anyway, I have to admit that I was quite surprised when Amon was revealed to be Tarrlok's older brother. That being said, I wish the writers could have gone more in-depth into how Amon was able to use bloodbending to take away peoples' ability to bend. Other than that, no complaints.

theebay707

Banned deucer.

this season finale was so goooooooooood
it was amazing how she got her bending back at the end :)
and gave lin her bending back

Hooray now let's wait for next season which will be completely void of any meaningful character development beyond stupid forced romances.

While the ending did wrap up optimistically, I have to say I wouldn't have it any other way. You have to realize they've basically gotten the short end of the stick the entire season.

Fucking amazing, that's all I have to say. Perfect ending to a near perfect season.

That was amazing. However, I still don't like the romance. Mako basically told Asami he still liked her, but then goes off with Korra at the end. I'm curious to see how season 2 will play out. Since Amon is dead (and the way he died is shocking for a children's show) he can't further the plot. I can see uprisings with nonbenders and benders throughout the whole kingdom. It would be a nice change since all we saw was Republic City this season. Then again, the creators might pull something completely unseen.

Had a few complaints though. The major one being how Amon's been hiding his waterbending for years and his first reaction to losing a fight? Make a giant water tower so everyone can see you -.- Getting away, playing dead, there were many better strategies.
i don't think he was thinking strategically at that point. when amon regained consciousness and realized he was drowning, i think he just reacted on impulse, his old waterbending reflex kicking in, before stopping to think that someone might see what he was doing. i thought it might

overall: loved it. my favorite moment was amon's single tear slipping into the wind just before tarrlok blew them both up (i am not completely sure why he felt this necessary but it sure made for a beautiful moment).

I'm going to have to agree to the people who've been saying the finale was a mixed bag. I still enjoyed it, but all the flaws that have been circling around the edges of the season so far really came to the fore in these last couple of episodes, and I think most of them would never have existed were it not for the fact that they've had to squeeze everything into 12 episodes. A few thoughts:

-The Makorra relationship still doesn't feel right to me at all - I wouldn't go as far as to say that they have no chemistry, as others have, but the "I love you"s came out of nowhere (they've known each other for weeks), and it seems that Asami's just been thrown by the wayside. That's gonna be awkward come season 2. Also, Bolin! He was on top form in the finale, but the Borra ship just kind of fizzled out and was never properly addressed. Much as I like him, he ought to be more than just comic relief.

-The juxtaposition of the airplane fight and Amon vs. Korra and Mako was pretty great on the whole, and was a nice callback to the multiple battles at the end of A:TLA, but there were a few too many deus ex machinas for my liking (Naga bounding in, Korra suddenly being able to airbend really well despite never doing it before, Amon suddenly not being able to defeat Makorra despite being such an obvious badass throughout the series), and Iroh could have done with some more characterisation other than being shown as a firebending badass, since he just sort of slips into Team Avatar without anyone saying anything about him (though his takedown of the planes was fucking awesome).

-Someone already commented on the unlikelihood of Amon suddenly using waterbending so rashly when he'd been hiding it for so long, but I was more irritated at Mako suddenly breaking Amon's bloodbending - if neither Toph nor Aang could do it in the Yakone flashbacks, I really don't think that Mako ought to be able to. Plus, Amon's motivations were never properly explained: did he really believe in equalising everyone, or was he just in it for power? Because if it was the former, why did he even hide his bending in the first place? He could have taken his own bending away and proven to everyone how sincere he was. Moreover, his supporters switched sides ridiculously quickly when they same him waterbending, which is disappointing because the writers spent a lot of time showing how many non-benders had legitimate grievances with bending. Lastly, I was glad when Amon escaped because he's a great antagonist and could just as easily be the main villain of season 2 or just pop in as a villain of the week type perhaps (see: Alpha in Dollhouse). His 'death' scene just felt like the writers trying to tie up all the loose ends (hopefully he isn't quite as dead as that explosion would have us believe). I can't see how any villain in season 2 could top him, unless it's some sort of angry spirit (Koh out for revenge, perhaps? The comic posted here earlier about Koh and Wan Shi Tong was amazing).

-Speaking of trying to tie up all the loose ends...I was really surprised that the writers decided to take away Korra's bending. Having her cope with the fallout from no longer being able to bend would provide an excellent character dynamic for season 2, and I'm sure the writers would have been able to provide her with a way of regaining her abilities, most probably by invoking the spirit world (which is almost certainly coming back in season 2 anyway). Instead, Aang just showed up and was all like 'lol jk, here's your bending back'. I know there's a limit to what sort of ending you can get away with on a kid's show, but this one just felt overly eager to wrap up everything.

I dunno, I sound very critical but it's only because I have very high standards when it comes to the Avatar series. I have enjoyed it very much, but a lot of intriguing elements/characters/ideas the series introduced simply haven't been developed as much as I would have liked or have been dropped completely.

breh

強いだね
I thought Tarlok and Amon's background was really well done and Tarlok's final act was awesome.
That and the usual fuck you Mako
Yeah pretty much this.

Avatar wiki says it well: "[Tarrlok] and Amon are the first people to presumably die in The Legend of Korra. [Tarrlok] is also the first character to implicitly commit (or, at the very least, attempt) suicide."

Agreeing with lucariojr; I hope Asami doesn't get shafted. She's a nice character that dropped her only living relative... for a boyfriend that betrays her. Right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)