The Movie/Actor/Director Thread

Kubrick is probably the best director I know of, his work is stellar and he has directed some of my favourite films. He creates such distinctive imagery in his films and some of the great scenes in cinema come from the likes of The Shining, 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.

As for actors, I rate Jack Nicholson and Christopher Lee highly. I know Bryan Cranston doesn't do a lot of film but I think he's a superb actor regardless and I think I'll definitely be seeing more of Aaron Paul based on his work in Breaking Bad, which is a good thing

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Recently saw The Tree Of Life; to sum it up, it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey combined together with Stand By Me, and it's pretty much the best film I've seen from this year so far. The visuals were gorgeously stunning, Brad Pitt's and the kids' acting was convincing, and the classical pieces made a good soundtrack for it. Be warned though, it isn't really for the casual viewers (if mentioning 2001 wasn't already a good enough indication of that!).
Not gonna lie. I think I would rather watch Sucker Punch or The Green Lantern again over seeing Tree of Life again. The best thing about Tree of Life was the trailer for Attack the Block playing before it. I was then made aware of its existence, saw it, and all was good.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've never liked Tarantino and everything he is associated with quickly ends up in my blacklist.

His 'art' through violence and ridiculous misplaced 'wit', such as putting pointless casual conversations between emotionless characters between what should be highly dramatic scenes is one that I suppose could appeal to testosterone driven apathetic nerds.

I suppose I simply don't appreciate being told to watch more of his stuff if I too cannot appreciate his wonderful work.

His movies however, do generally have awesome soundtracks.

This said, my favourite American actor still is Denzel.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm a sucker for Alan Rickman just like a few others in this thread, I want him to talk me to sleep every night

Also I'm a big Danny DeVito fan

Don't have a favorite director I don't think though Kubrick always pulls through

sup just wanted to give a hearty "fuck you" to the OP, the notebook is one of my favourite movies of all time.

favourite actors (among others): anthony hopkins, jack nicholson, christopher walken, liam neeson, russell crowe, kate winslet, tommy lee jones and ryan gosling

favourite directors: ridley scott, christopher nolan, james cameron and guy ritchie

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983193/

really excited for this, should be excellent.

Favorite actress is Helena Bonham Carter and anyone who wonders why needs to rewatch Fight Club, King's Speech, harry fucking potter, etc. She is a really underrated actress and she was pretty hot back in the day.

I don't really have a favorite director, but James McTeigue did some movies that I like... and he's um Australian...ftw?

UMA thurman!! She is a sexy lady! And a good actor! I like the Kill Bill, even though my English is not good really. It makes such an intensity! She was very cool in Pulp Fiction! I love the disco scene where she dance. Favored actress of mine.

Anyone else like foreign/art house films? I've been watching a lot of Tarkovsky recently.
i watched the mirror recently and it was ok, super oneiric and dreamy with some lovely sequences. solaris (solyaris whatever) is a lot better i think

edit: id rewatch it just for this scene though honestly

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i realllllyyyyyyy liked the film "FUNNY GAMES"

german torture flick, definitely one of the tensest movies i've ever watched, and it's given me that sick-curiousity leftover feeling to watch it again, even though i wanted to watch something really fun and uplifting afterward just so i wasn't in a funk.

Not gonna lie. I think I would rather watch Sucker Punch or The Green Lantern again over seeing Tree of Life again. The best thing about Tree of Life was the trailer for Attack the Block playing before it. I was then made aware of its existence, saw it, and all was good.
Sucker Punch was shit but
Emily Browning

I'm going to do a top 5 movies that everyone likes but I don't list. This discussion always sparks interest...

1. Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks delivers an overrated performance. The movie didn't entertain me at all.)
2. The Matrix (Wow terrible screenplay. Keannu Reeves is the worst actor of all time. Some of the devices in the movie seemed really stupid. This movie was LOLable.)
3. Indiana Jones (I might not like this movie because it's not my generation, but I felt kind of bored. I remember the ending of Raiders being really stupid.)
4. Pulp Fiction (This movie is solid. I loved some parts but hated others. The parts with Samuel L. Jackson, Travolta, and Thurman were amazing, but the parts with Bruce Willis felt a little over the top for me.
5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (This movie was ok, but I read the book before and felt the book was way better. I felt the changes made for the movie weren't necessary. (such as the perspective change)

Movies I've seen recently:

Moneyball - Brad Pitt gives a solid performance (to nobody's surprise) but out of nowhere comes Jonah Hill with a legitimately good acting role which was refreshing. The movie was definitely entertaining, and some would say it's inspiring. They did a great job dispersing humor throughout what would normally be a very dry movie at reasonable intervals. Philip Seymour Hoffman is in it too. Would I recommend seeing it? Yes, especially if you're a baseball fan. (Most definitely if you're an Oakland fan.)

The Professional - Old movie I know, but I just recently saw it for the first time. It's Natalie Portman's first acting role (age 13) and overall it's definitely a classic. (Watch the European one not the American one.)

The Ides of March - <3 Ryan Gosling <3 Good movie, but not for everyone. It's maturely themed in that there are little to no legitimate breaks from the very serious tone of the movie. It's a politics movie, what do you expect? George Clooney did well, but Ryan Gosling stole the show and once again delivered a fantastic performance. Philip Seymour Hoffman is in it too.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone seen 50/50 yet? I'm really super tempted to go see it soon because it looks really awesome. But I don't know...

The Hunger Games

Holy fucking shit, they're making it!

I know it's a book for young readers and all, but the concept of chucking a bunch of kids into an arena and letting them kill each other is a genius concept.

Has anyone read the book?

I want to borrow Battle Royale, since I hear it's really good and shit, but the public libraries are always out of it.

I highly recommend reading the Hunger Games Series. Its story has pretty deep meaning to it.

Edit: Whoops in a bout of fanboyism I strayed off topic. Back to movies then:

I Am Number Four's entire cast of actors is shitty, except for the actress for Number Six.

My favorite actor ever is Kevin Spacey but he has kind of stopped making movies. Samuel L. Jackson is also amazing, but he's pretty 1-dimensional (plays the dude who yells a lot).

I can't really name a favorite director but Tarantino and Shane Black are two really good ones I enjoy.

I tend to enjoy movies that have some sort of action or mystery-type plot with well-placed humor. Such as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my favorite movies ever made.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
My favorite actor is Robert Downey, Jr. I friggen loved him in both Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, and I loved him in A Scanner Darkly.

For favorite director it has got to be...either between Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg or John Hughes.....

And favorite movie is Jurassic Park. To me, hands down, it is the best movie of all time. Runner up is How to Train Your Dragon. It's really good and not just for the little kids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)