The Movie/Actor/Director Thread

A number of film industry threads have been made in the past, but this one is for current movies, up-and-coming actors and directors, along with your all-time favorite movies, actors, and directors to prevent the discussion from dying too quickly.

The last great movie I saw was Drive this past weekend, and it has cemented Ryan Gosling as one of my favorite actors. Even though he has done a good amount of movies, some shitty, (The Notebook,) and some fantastic, (Lars and the Real Girl,) you could still say that he's up-and-coming because of Drive and Ides of March.

Favorite director of all time? No question, Quentin Tarantino. If you don't understand my position, watch more movies, especially Pulp Fiction.

Edit: Okay dislikes can fit too. M. Night Shamalan is pretty terrible but I wouldn't say I have an exact least favorite director. My least favorite actors are definitely Brendan Frasier and Steve Martin and least favorite actress is Meryl Streep tied with Sandra Bullock. Also my least favorite user present is Outlaw :P

Why can't we name our least favorite actors and directors?

BTW my least favorite director is M. Night Shamalan. So he made Sixth Sense, Whoodeedoo - it was honestly a huge fluke and wasn't as great as everybody seemed to think it was. Now he just makes a career out of creating mediocre films and destroying any script with potential that he can get his hands in a pathetic attempt to inflate his ego.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
If Morgan Freeman didnt exist I wouldnt have a great sounding voice in my head that could read out the wifier posts I read and then keep me from killing myself because of the stupidity of wifier posts

Why can't we name our least favorite actors and directors?

BTW my least favorite director is M. Night Shamalan. So he made Sixth Sense, Whoodeedoo - it was honestly a huge fluke and wasn't as great as everybody seemed to think it was. Now he just makes a career out of creating mediocre films and destroying any script with potential that he can get his hands in a pathetic attempt to inflate his ego.
unbreakable was one of the best films of the 2000s

I never saw it but I guess I will now. The Sixth Sense was the only movie I remember seeing by M Night Shamalyan and I actually liked it before he started, you know, sucking. I hope it changes my opinion of him when/if I watch it, but I doubt it.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
signs will always be eerie to me, and I definitely watched it over and over when it started showing up on TV a lot after its release. Lady in the Water was lackluster, but the story was almost too fanciful while trying to maintain this element of "magical coincidence."

kevin bacon will always be one of my favorite actors, mostly because he was one of the main stars in TREMORS and I'm in love with that movie. also he appeared in X-Men: First Class without my prior knowledge, so that was a happy surprise.

rachel mcadams is adorable and always a sweet little babe, with the prettiest smile and sing-songy disposition. the only movie I've seen with her in it was Red Eye, but that was just a boring film all around.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gosling looks to be on a streak lately. Crazy Stupid Love was good, Drive looks great (was hoping to see it today but was busy, hopefully sometime over the next week), and Ides of March has me pretty excited too! I always thought he was somewhat well-known but I think that's more in Canada than the US.

Someone everyone seems to have forgotten about is Neill Blomkamp who directed and co-wrote District 9. He was supposed to be doing a Halo movie until funding fell through. I would love to see a feature-length Halo movie from him after seeing what he did with District 9 and the Halo shorts.

Oh and somehow I'd managed to completely miss all of Jesse Eisenberg's movies until recently. This year I saw The Social Network, 30 Minutes or Less, Zombieland, and Adventureland. I am quite a fan now =)

Recently saw The Tree Of Life; to sum it up, it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey combined together with Stand By Me, and it's pretty much the best film I've seen from this year so far. The visuals were gorgeously stunning, Brad Pitt's and the kids' acting was convincing, and the classical pieces made a good soundtrack for it. Be warned though, it isn't really for the casual viewers (if mentioning 2001 wasn't already a good enough indication of that!).

My top 10 movies list right now would probably look something like Pulp Fiction, Fireworks, Inception, Flipped, 12 Angry Men, Oldboy, Stalker, Lawrence Of Arabia, The Shawshank Redemption and The Big Lebowski.

Overall favourite director is Christopher Nolan, the least favourite one being Michael Bay (and now that I mentioned them, ironically even Nolan's low-budget debut is so much better than any of Michael Bay's very high-budget explosion after explosion style movies). Least favourite actors are Ben Affleck and Ashton Kutcher, and my most favourite one is probably Bill Murray.

No one has said Christopher Walken yet? For shame. Karl Urban is an actor I'm hopeful for, I can't wait for the new Judge Dredd movie.

ALSO PREPARE FOR DIFFERING OPINION OF COSMIC PROPORTIONS

I hate, HATE Tarantino as a director. I loathe his style of movie making and I find his morbid love of feet creepy.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
ALSO i have a crush on crispin glover he is just too cute

and yes, alan rickman has a voice like liquid velvet flowing into your ears.

i am a big fan of christopher nolan but i guess that goes without saying. I don't think I have seen a BAD movie by him. memento, prestige, the batman movies, all of them are great at exploring their own themes, have great action and twists and turns await at every moment. they also manage to be very thought provoking.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Obligatory Nolan/Tarantino shout-out, both are excellent directors and I have loved every movie of theirs I have seen.

As for favorite actor, Leslie Nielsen was quite possibly one of the funniest actors I have ever seen. He got typecast a lot as the serious/clueless character (almost like Steve Martin in a way), but he played that part to perfection time and time again. He basically stole Airplane! and wasn't even a main character. The one line that people remember for that is his ("Doctor, surely you can't be serious!" "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley").

My favorite movie atm is American Psycho. Bale is just pitch-perfect, especially when
Bateman starts to crack. The scene where he puts the kitten into the ATM? Amazing.

EDIT: EDWARD NORTON AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Currently I am writing a 5 page paper comparing Marla from Fight Club to John from "The Yellow Wallpaper" (by Charlotte Perkins Gillman).
Basically, I'm arguing that the secondary characters in the two stories directly caused the main character's alternate personality to take over completely through their interactions with the main character.

Right now though, I am Jack's desire to procrastinate xD

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Scorsese and Fincher are two of my favourite directors. Both are masters of atmosphere and tension. Their films are beautiful to look at as well as to watch.
Been getting into a lot of Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leone recently. I also love everything I've seen so far by Wong Kar Wai.

Leonardo Di Caprio is my favourite current actor. James Cagney, Kevin Spacey and Al Pacino are probably up there with my all time favourites. And Robert De Niro, even though he's done nothing interesting since the 90s.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shoutout to Hugh jackman, Canadian pride! Although his non-Wolverine voice creeps me out o.o
Natalie Portman for awesome female actor (I liked her before black swan you hos!)
Astrid-Berges Frisbee for drop dead gorgeous actress

Outlaw, I included you in the OP

Firestorm, unless you detest European-style directing, make time to see it

As for favorite actor, Leslie Nielsen was quite possibly one of the funniest actors I have ever seen.
Leslie Nielsen was great, and while I loved him in Airplane!, his best film had to be
Surf Nin
jas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)