The New VGC metagame with the possibility of TRIPLE battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put it past them to make 3v3 the new official format. They want to create hype, and in general while the competitive community, continue to make the games grow, we are a minority in the genral pokemon population overall. Im pretty sure most players will go "OMG 3v3" and get excited, and im sure thats what they are looking for.

I seriously doubt we're seeing triple battles, it's a huge leap from doubles. As for VGC I see it as staying with the 4v4 double battle rules for at least one more year.

Of course we don't know anything about the mechanics of triple battles, but in concept they do seem very chaotic and confusing. While it doesn't necessarily mean anything, we all know double battles began in Ruby/Sapphire, and the first tournaments Nintendo held were NOT in the new double battle format. While not a major tournament like JAA/VGC, they did have the Ruby/Sapphire Challenge (which I thought was tons of fun), and it was played in singles 3 vs. 3 Battle Tower format. If they did in fact avoid having it in doubles to allow players more time to familiarize themselves with that new format, then hopefully they'll do something similar in 2011.

http://serebii.net/battrio/

^ It's going to turn into an overcomplicated version of this, I think. =/ I'm gonna put my money on some kind of system system where you pick one pokemon that goes head to head with the choice of the opponents pokemon.

...I mean... the alternative... even Nintendo would have to pick up on how broken that is.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I am definitely hoping I do not have to deal with Follow Me + Helping Hand + Water Spout...or really any of the possible ridiculous Follow Me strategies.

I strongly doubt that this will be the new format for VGC.
You'd like have to lead with a superfast exploder, a fake out'er and...gawd idon't even know, like every single match.

However, this being said, the doubles format does allow for some crazy stuff that singles only people think is off the wall too. They're like "who uses Fake Out? who uses Follow me?? Who uses Blizzard over Ice Beam?! Gosh?!!"

Triple battles presents a whole new adjustment to a metagame where we had to adapt to incoming available Legends added to the equation( Kyogre, Groudon ETC).

It is a new and decent concept however VGC hasn't developed into its full potential in the U.S. this is going to confound alot of players who are still trying to break into the vgc realm

Well the rules for next years VGC haven't been confirmed but I wouldn't be surprised if they went 3v3 or stick with 2v2.

I'm just leaving Indy, so I don't have a whole lot of time to comment, but I am going to guess that you won't be able to use two helping hands for a 1.5 * 1.5 boost; in other words, it won't stack.

As for the possiblity of triple battles, I say we just wait and see. Nobody knows how it will work or what the new moves are yet for the most part; it might even be fun. People thought doubles was a piece of crap when RS came out, but then after a while it started becoming decent and some people actually preferred it. September 18 is when we can find out what BW has in store, so let's just wait imo.

I doubt they will do triple battle next year. Maybe the year after that though. If they do I hope that Shoddy or pokemon online can make a setting for triple battles. Imagine earthquake with a helping hand in that format. That would be hard to surivive seeing that not all pokemon on your team would have levitate or be flying types. It would hit your team hard. That or a helping hand discharge, water spout, surf, ect.

It will change things entirely. Now, if you have 1 pokemon left on the field and the opponent has all 3 there will be a very slim chance of you winning. VGC matches will most likely run 6 vs 6 triple battles so the trainer has more variety of pokemon to switch in to.

I'm 90% sure that it will be 3 vs 3 for VGC because the people who actually run the tournaments probably would want to keep up with game freak and play a style that is new to the audience so the tournys could be more casual to players.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
3v3 Would be really insane, there would be too much to handle and too many pokemon, so I do not think VGC will adopt that.

I'm just leaving Indy, so I don't have a whole lot of time to comment, but I am going to guess that you won't be able to use two helping hands for a 1.5 * 1.5 boost; in other words, it won't stack.

As for the possiblity of triple battles, I say we just wait and see. Nobody knows how it will work or what the new moves are yet for the most part; it might even be fun. People thought doubles was a piece of crap when RS came out, but then after a while it started becoming decent and some people actually preferred it. September 18 is when we can find out what BW has in store, so let's just wait imo.
I don't think it would multiply, it would stack like attack boost stages, so it would be like adding a swords dance right off the bat.

I'm not so sure about these 3v3 battles, seems too intricate and confusing to be next popular metagame but if you would like to practice this, you could play Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, it's slightly similar to pokemon, but then again, it's just a recomendation.

OH GOD WERE ****** If they do 6v6 3v3s were doomed. Imagine quagsire mantine vaporeon or lapras (pick your 3) in row spamming surf in tr with rain. Now what's going to survive, and even if you do counterattack next turn 3/4 of its health are back. The word cheap come to mind? With new pokemon there's probably some way you can set up rain dance and trick room with a follow me guy. Then if follow me dies switch in a pokemon with protect and explode. I hope this is for flash factor to get little kids to go OMG TRIPLE BATTOLS now I can use Rayquaza groudon and kyogre at the same time! (I know idiotic but you get the point) Not NEW VGC FORMAT. Knowing nintendo they may do this to us or have some outside company pull a pbr on us for some game, I hope they do neither and this is just a gimmick.

I think that any 3vs3 match would be chaos. It would be too crazy too even think about the new sets and strategies that would be made viable. I mean, if you just look at this years VGC a lot of strange ideas that worked have popped up already and thats with a format that has been around since RSE! 3vs3 may be fun for a casual and crazy battle w/friends but I really wouldn't want to see it for VGC. (Which is why it probably will be):(

Geez, I hope there is no double helping hand move.

3v3 metronome battle would be fun, I hope they nerf multihitting moves and turn explosion into absolute crap if they use this for vgc.

^Explosion would be retardedly viable in 6v6 with triple battles. Which is why they might can that option by banning Explosion and Self Destruct. lol But that probably won't happen.

Yeah viable but then damp quagsire would be everyone's favorite pokemon. That's why I said I hope they turn it into crap in triple battles. I just hope ALL moves will be single targeting, uncluding earthquake and explosion, it would be weird but at least there won't be any "Minun used helping hand, plusle used helping hand, Kyogre used water spout Blissey fainted, Mewtwo fainted, Rayquaza fainted."

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
OH GOD WERE ****** If they do 6v6 3v3s were doomed. Imagine quagsire mantine vaporeon or lapras (pick your 3) in row spamming surf in tr with rain. Now what's going to survive, and even if you do counterattack next turn 3/4 of its health are back. The word cheap come to mind? With new pokemon there's probably some way you can set up rain dance and trick room with a follow me guy. Then if follow me dies switch in a pokemon with protect and explode. I hope this is for flash factor to get little kids to go OMG TRIPLE BATTOLS now I can use Rayquaza groudon and kyogre at the same time! (I know idiotic but you get the point) Not NEW VGC FORMAT. Knowing nintendo they may do this to us or have some outside company pull a pbr on us for some game, I hope they do neither and this is just a gimmick.
lol

So long as they do the right thing and ban ubers next year, I'll at least give 3vs3 a chance before completely writing it off.

The gun is being jumped pretty severly on this whole 3v3 thing. I don't think there's much motivation from VGC's end of things to change the format more than they need to - 3v3 would be a completely different game than the 2v2 they've done basically for two gens now(JAA, etc. in Gen3). I'd be surprised if they adopt it, especially considering how much tinkering was done in 2s between Gen3 and Gen4 to balance things out a bit better - it's a much, much better game now than it was four years ago and I think 3s will similarly require time to age. The old spread move mechanics, as well as how Pokemon fainting worked then were both pretty significant changes to improve the game.

Regardless, though, there isn't much value in theorizing. We only mostly even have the battle mode confirmed - can't really theorize anything until we know at least the basics of mechanics. There's no reason to assume spread moves will work the same way they do in 3v3 as they do in 2v2, for instance, which would drastically change the game. We also don't know how many Pokemon we'll be allowed to carry (3? 4? 6?), and much like theorizing in 2v2 when all we had to play off of was 1v1 produced very little, I can't imagine projecting 2v2 on 3v3 is going to get us much.

That isn't even to mention new moves and Pokemon - not much point in 3v3 DPP when it's going to be "an old gen" in a matter of months. Imagine this year's VGC without Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Toxicroak. Not to mention without Sucker Punch, Draco Meteor, and Trick Room...

It's fine to be excited, but even if 3v3 VGC happens there's not much good in discussing it now, I think.

rory

T^T
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
agreeing completely with synre and laughing at people thinking they are "ruining pokemon with 3v3" as if you wouldn't be able to do singles or doubles anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)