The Next Best Thing...

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
koko

it's the only set that bypasses its typical counters, although the others are neat in their own regard

I have long been a proponent of scarf mello.

CoolStoryBrobat's set takes it for me. Though I might run that koko set in the future. Seems very solid.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
koko puff wins again. i'll archive the set, but in the meantime you guys can discuss sets for Flygon!

Flygon (M) @ Life Orb / Heat Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam

I love this thing. It works best on a Sun team (clearly) as it both appreciates Sun being up before it comes in and something setting up Sun for it. The reason this works is the ease in which it lures Swampert, Rhyperior (sometimes), Bronzong (almost always), Gligar, etc and nails them with corresponding moves. It's actually just super good. Heat Rock can be used but it's weak.

252 SpAtk Life Orb Flygon SolarBeam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Swampert (+SpDef) : 95.05% - 111.88% (68.75% chance to OHKO) <==OHKO with Stealth Rock

252 SpAtk Life Orb Flygon SolarBeam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Rhyperior (+SpDef) : 88.48% - 103.69% (25% chance to OHKO) <==OHKO with Spikes

252 SpAtk Life Orb Flygon Draco Meteor vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Gligar: 91.62% - 107.78% (50% chance to OHKO) <==OHKO with Stealth Rock

252 SpAtk Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Bronzong: 95.86% - 113.02% (75% chance to OHKO) <==OHKO with Stealth Rock (has Sun)

Flygon@Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- U-Turn/Fire Punch
After a Hone Claws boost, anything that doesn't resist is kind of gone. U-turn allows it to act as an excellent scout with base 100 speed, as it can predict the change to an ice type and turn out for the best counter. Fire Punch offers coverage vs said Ice Types, as it outspeeds a few, although Weavile is an issue.
This set counters Weavile big-time, U-turning out for massive damage and switching for a priority counter. 252+ Atk Life Orb Flygon U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 260-307 (92.52 - 109.25%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
Earthquake provides good STAB coverage, as does Dragon Claw. This set can easily punch through a lot of it's counters with good prediction U-turn and after a boost LO-Flygon can pretty much sweep most walls.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I doubt I'm this is even gonna touch Blarajan's set, it's kind of the dopest thing I've ever seen for a Flygon, but here's something I came up with, it's pretty straightforward:

Flygon (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Somewhat of a more preferred Pokemon for highly offensive teams, Flygon loves the fact that it's able to force switches off its resistance to EdgeQuake and due to the fact it's often expected to be a choiced Pokemon. The way this set works, you come in on something (or set up on something) that Flygon normally would scare out and setup a Tailwind. From there you either U-Turn into another threatening Pokemon to deal with whatever checks come in, or you simply start balling with Outrage/Earthquake. Life Orb is necessary as Jolly Flygon lacks a lot of power as is, and it's not meant to be played as a bulky Tailwind setter. The Tailwind makes up for Flygon's own lack of speed while at the same time being helpful for the rest of your team in general. This Flygon also appreciates VoltTurn support to be brought in more easily, simply because its lifespan can be shortened by Life Orb recoil + damage if it comes in on an attack. Partners like Gligar or even bulky Rotom are kind of ideal to help Flygon get in safely.

Also, @ Vyomov, why would you use U-Turn on a Flygon set that uses Hone Claws to boost? Flygon's hard-pressed to set up as is, and U-Turn immediately gets rid of whatever boost(s) you may have accumulated. Why not Stone Edge, since its accuracy is fixed by Hone Claws, and has perfect coverage with Flygon's STABs?

Its a shame Flygon doesn't learn Dragon Rush, or the Hone Claws set would actaully be really cool (more than it is now I mean).

I might as well give this round a try, Specs Flygon:

+
= Pretty Cool?

Flygon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature
  • Draco Meteor
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • U-turn
This thing can actually deal with Flygon's regular counters:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 272-322 (80.47 - 95.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blastoise: 259-306 (71.54 - 84.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blastoise: 168-198 (46.4 - 54.69%) -- 9.38% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 240-283 (59.4 - 70.04%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 189-223 (50.53 - 59.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Now granted these are Draco Meteors, so the next hit will obviously be much weaker, but they do enough damage to finish off things after hitting the first one.

EDIT:

Another counter Specs Flygon beats:

252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Slowbro: 166-196 (42.23 - 49.87%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Flygon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 327-385 (83.2 - 97.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

PTJon7, the problem with that set is that it basically does nothing the CB set can't already do. CB Outrage is almost identical in strength to Specs DM but the second hit is just as strong as the first, which means instead of barely getting stalled out by a lucky Porygon2 due to low damage roles you can just laugh as you 2HKO it and have one less thing to worry about. The CB set can also use a Jolly nature, which is nice with Flygon's great base speed. Admittedly the kill on Bronzong is nice, but it's a very easy Pokemon to wear down anyway so it's not an incredible boon.

Blarajan's set looks the most promising so far, but I wouldn't use it outside of a dedicated sun team since again it's not doing much you couldn't already do. I will say the KO on Gligar and Bronzong is pretty cool, so I guess if you can find something else with those main counters it could be nice, but otherwise it isn't doing anything CB can't.

I don't have a set right now since there's an idea i need to play with a bit, but I might post something later.

252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 160-190 (39.6 - 47.02%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 177-208 (48.89 - 57.45%) -- 50.78% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 134-158 (39.64 - 46.74%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I'm not completely disagreeing with you FastFlygon, but as you can see, especially with Suicune, Specs Flygon can actually beat it, while Band does not.

Blarajan's set is cool for sure but Sun is not very good in UU, I've been using a Sunny Day team myself on and off for a little while and it is tough to do well. It does however do an excellent job of beating Flygon's regular counters, which is what I think this thread is really all about.

I'm also diggin Brobat's Tailwind set, as it not gives Flygon great sweeping potential but also can support the rest of it's team. I don't really think it needs Jolly nature however, but to each his own.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm also diggin Brobat's Tailwind set, as it not gives Flygon great sweeping potential but also can support the rest of it's team. I don't really think it needs Jolly nature however, but to each his own.
Well, you can easily run Adamant; in fact, I think I'll put a slash on it, since it can afford to go Adamant with the extra speed from Tailwind. The reason I didn't was because of my usual mentality that if a Pokemon has this kind of a supportive move that it needs as much speed as possible, but yeah. I'll fix it up a bit.

@CoolStoryBrobat: Thanks for the help, had completely forgotten about Stone Edge :)
Anyways this is the new set:
Flygon@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
This set has coverage as well as power. After a Hone Claws boost, SE hits hard and surprises a lot of the ice types like Frosslass :252+ Atk Life Orb Flygon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Froslass: 348-411 (101.45 - 119.82%) -- guaranteed OHKO
After a Hone Claws most ice types looking to switch in on Flygon are trolled.
However, at the same time, it does lose out to Bronzong, so a good partner for the set is Chandelure, offering a Ice resist, ability to beat Bronzong and acting as a special attacker beside this set.

I don't know why I'm posting this. It's different? Sure.

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Hone Claws
-Dragon Tail
-Substitute
-Roost

Dragon Tail never misses after a Hone Claws, plus, even uninvested, it still does ok damage due to +1, STAB, and Flygon's natural pretty good Attack. Sub + Roost don't need explanation. Obviously requires hazard support and probably spinblocking. Flygon @ #1 bulky Dragon trololo

Running 156 SDef EVs make sure Blastoise doesn't break Flygon's subs:
0 SpA Blastoise Scald vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Flygon: 76-90 (20.87 - 24.72%) -- possible 6HKO
You could then run 100 Def EVs & Impish nature.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
thought i might contribute to my own cause before i close for voting!

Flygon @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn

i was looking for new sets to run in uu, like i'm pretty much always doing, and i came across flygon. it usually is almost always running either scarf or band, but to me it had the typing, both offensively and defensively, to be so much more. thinking back on a set i used to run in ou, that being dd dragon gem salamence, i thought why not try something similar with flygon? obviously it doesn't have the godly dragon dance or moxie, but it does have the surprise factor and hone claws to make something like it viable. hone claws + dragon gem makes for one powerful outrage, being able to nuke a lot of switch-ins, especially bulky waters. here are some calcs...

+1 252 Atk Dragon Gem Flygon Outrage vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 283-334 (70.57 - 83.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Dragon Gem Flygon Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 306-360 (77.86 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Dragon Gem Flygon Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 325-384 (95.02 - 112.28%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO

slowbro and max defense cune can be problems because flygon can only manage around 60%, but that's still impressive for the best physical walls in uu, especially by forcing them to ice beam (if they even have it) and weakening them for other potential sweepers. you might ask yourself why use this over cb though? well the answer is simply the bluff factor. if you play this flygon smartly, once you have stealth rock down, a well timed u-turn or earthquake should sufficiently weaken a bulky water to the point where the next time flygon comes in a +1 outrage will ko. from there, make sure you're running something like choice scarf darmanitan or something else to take advantage of a weakened / dead water, and sweep. this set might not be better than choice band on most teams, but if a team is positioned to work well around this set, it can work very well.

and with that, voting may commence!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)