Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mamoswine is good but it isn't A rank material imo yeah it can revenge kill Dragons and/or anything weak to ice. I feel it's walled way too easily. Rotom-W, Bulky waters, Skarmory, Bronzong, Forretress etc. It's only real niche is revenge killing ice weak Pokemon and setting up Stealth Rock really. It also has bad defensive typing and kind of bad defenses. Not to mention it can't revenge a bunch of sweepers not weak to ice like Kyurem-B, Keldeo, Terrakion, Lucario, the list goes on. It has a lot of competition for a teamslot. It also has the same problem as Dolphan trying to do too much at once. If he is using the Endeavor set most likely he won't be able to revenge something like Landorus later in the match.
On the topic of him being walled, you have teammates for a reason. Just use Rotom-W and/or Ferrothorn or a similar wall.

Terrakoin and Lucario are effectively countered by Superpower and EQ.
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 572-673 (202.83 - 238.65%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 372-439 (114.81 - 135.49%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 121-144 (34.18 - 40.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Superpower vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 161-190 (53.84 - 63.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 103-122 (31.49 - 37.3%) -- 96.02% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 224 HP / 32 Def Skarmory: 133-157 (40.67 - 48.01%) -- 10.94% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Gastrodon: 261-308 (61.26 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 168 Def Bronzong: 130-153 (38.46 - 45.26%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 149-177 (44.08 - 52.36%) -- 17.58% chance to 2HKO

Overall, he isn't perfect and is walled by many common walls, but is a pretty darn good anti-meta mon and deserves to be A-rank. A 3HKO works if they can't do anything back, after all. He fears Gyro Ball, but not too many mons run Gyro Ball, except, for example, some Bronzong and Ferrothorn, which you should really be using your other mons for.

A life orb Mamoswine is never going to beat a Terrakion 1v1 or a Jolly Lucario

0 Atk Forretress Gyro Ball (93 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 222-264 (61.32 - 72.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

84 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (109 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 282-332 (77.9 - 91.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I've been using mamoswine and I think its A-rank. Salamence, garchomp, landorus-I and dragonite are never problems for me because of mamoswine's ice shard. Ice priority is also good at removing breloom, lati@s, celebi, amoogus and thunduros-t. All of those pokemon are pretty common and mamoswine removes the with ease. That alone justifies mamoswine moving up to A-Rank.

0 Atk Forretress Gyro Ball (93 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 222-264 (61.32 - 72.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

84 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (109 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 282-332 (77.9 - 91.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I stated Gyro Ball was a huge threat to him in the post.

Also, Speed considered, yes, you may not win. However, the Terra set I used, Double Dancer, is intended to be Encored into; situational, yes, but if you can, they will either switch or take the SP.

What if the Lucario isn't Jolly? With a slightly off-standard set with slightly smaller Speed, Mamo wins. Even if it is, Encore into a safe move. It works. Also, I repeat: you have teammates for a reason. Use 'em.

Anyway, sure, Terra can destroy him in some situations, but Mamo still stands as an anti-meta Dragon (and Venu) killer, and, with priority, one of the few revengers able to hit Dragons SE without a Scarf. I'm not saying Mamo is perfect; I'm merely saying he checks what he's supposed to check, counter what he's supposed to counter, revenge kill what he's supposed to revenge kill, and believe me, that's a pretty long list of mons that fall into those categories. Isn't that the definition of A-rank? KO/Support/Wall/whatever a large portion of the metagame effectively, but still be checked/countered by a few things?

Also, what Bronzong runs 84 Atk? Not any I've ever considered using, that's for sure.

I don't think losing to Terrakion is a particularly bid issue, considering just how many (good) things do. Most Lucario aren't going to be Jolly, since they usually prefer the extra power of Adamant, especially since they tend to spam priority.

I wasn't particulary disagreeing with Mamoswine for A-Rank. I was just assuring some calculations, which I received from Honko Damage calcular (hence the 84 Attack).

I too agree for Mamo to be in A. With exception of Terrakion, LO Mamo can near destroy most of the S and A Ranks.

Also 1v1 would beat Adamant Lucario, unless ofcourse the Lucario was boosted and carrying a Bullet punch.

Right now Mamoswine is an A rank pokemon, is simply an excellent anti-meta player that has gotten a few upgrades since he was added in this list. It's offensive options are great, your opponent is forced to play around it if they expect their dragons and their Landorus to perform their sweeping, and it's bulk is sensibly better than Weavile's, which is another decent anti-meta pokemon. It also sets up rocks.

A-Rank said:
A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.
Pretty much the definition of Mamo. Admittably, it's only C or B rank as a SR supporter, but as an anti-meta revenger of Dragons/Venusaur/whatever, it works wonders. It's afraid of Gyro Ball and certain attackers (I.E. Terrakoin), hence requiring support from teammates to kill them, but once his checks are out of the way, Mamo can shine.

Also, just having him on your team puts an absolute stop to any opposing Landorus. They're pretty much useless. Rock Polish? Mamo has priority, and set-up gives a free switch turn. Sheer Force? Revenge kill with priority. He can't U-turn out when Ice Shard outpaces and OHKOs. The Pokemon who they're literally suspecting getting suspected (lol) is put to an absolute stop, and any team with Land needs a sure fire counter to Mamoswine.

Pretty much the bulkiest common Lando EVs:

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 795-936 (249.21 - 293.41%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 374-442 (117.24 - 138.55%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With Rocks up, even the rare bulky Lando (have you ever SEEN a bulky Lando?) quivers in his boots at Mamo's common attacks.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Having used Mamoswine quite a lot, he's definitely an A-Rank Pokemon.

Ground and Ice are great STAB's together and have great coverage. Mamoswine can take on sand teams rather well, plus Dragons are kept at their knees with priority Ice Shard. Mamoswine is, quite frankly, immune to both sand and hail damage, which is a plus. He also is a nice weapon against Venusaur and some others. Also, it shits on Ttar. Not to mention it sets up SR. Pretty solid anti-meta Pokemon with some really good qualities, A-Rank for sure.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine is definitely A-Rank material. It has so much going for it, that the positives greatly outweigh the few negatives, such as his low speed or bad defensive typing. Ice/Ground hits half the meta game for super effective damage, and in this Dragon/Steel infested meta game Ice and Ground moves are really useful to have. Although Mamoswine is easily out sped by a majority of Pokemon in OU, Mamoswine has access to STAB priority Ice Shard, which stops Moxie Mence, DD Dragonite, RP Landorus, Breloom, and even Haxorus dead in their tracks. Earthquake hits Tyranitar before it can KO back with Stone Edge, and Air Balloon Heatran still has to worry about Superpower. As others had said, he's also a great Stealth Rock setter and can be an outstanding Endeavor Focus Sash lead, since he can KO back the next turn with Ice Shard. Thick Fat makes him neutral to Fire attacks, which even lets him avoid the OHKO by Timid Heatran's Fire Blast. He's great on either Hail or Sand teams since he's immune to both, and often times he is the glue of many teams since he can single handedly check almost every Dragon type in OU and provide outstanding coverage against other threats such as Breloom, Jirachi, and Landorus. Honestly, I don't think I've ever made a team that doesn't have a Mamoswine weakness. He's just that threatening. Scizor and physically bulky Waters such as Politoad, Vaporeon, and Rotom-W with Levitate are one of the few decent answers to Mamoswine. Heck, even Standard Jellicent fears an EQ from him.

All in all, the goods heavily outweigh the bads, and Mamoswine seems to fit in A-Rank just fine.

I would like to propose Gastrodon move to B rank from C rank.

It is not outclassed at all as no other pokemon is capable of doing what it does. It also walls some popular threats such as e belt/scarf Keldeo's and can tank various high powered moves depending on whether it is specially or physically defensive.

I am personally in love with physically defensive as it makes an excellent check to various pokemon such as Terrakion and when pokemon such as banded Dragonite can never ohko with any move whilst Gastro returns with an ohko (after rocks)... you know this pokemon is quite in a league of its own.

I think as people have become accustomed to it being almost exclusively specially defensive it has been forgotten in C rank however my argument is that it is great on both sides and I will even go as far as saying it is better physically defensively as the special pokemon it tends to check nicely can still be checked with a 252/4 spread!

Once upon a time when toxic was common gastrodon was probably a risky pokemon to use, right now, especially in this meta its so rare to see toxic on pokemon not called politoed, gliscor or gastrodon.. Gastro can effectively keep coming in again and again to wall things.

Heres a replay to highlight Gastro's excellent bulk:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou12856262
He had an excellent team but no way to deal with Gastro, it really shuffled up his team.

The set I use:

Gastrodon @ leftovers
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
Trait: Water Absorb
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover

I would like to propose Gastrodon move to B rank from C rank.

It is not outclassed at all as no other pokemon is capable of doing what it does. It also walls some popular threats such as e belt/scarf Keldeo's and can tank various high powered moves depending on whether it is specially or physically defensive.

I am personally in love with physically defensive as it makes an excellent check to various pokemon such as Terrakion and when pokemon such as banded Dragonite can never ohko with any move whilst Gastro returns with an ohko (after rocks)... you know this pokemon is quite in a league of its own.

I think as people have become accustomed to it being almost exclusively specially defensive it has been forgotten in C rank however my argument is that it is great on both sides and I will even go as far as saying it is better physically defensively as the special pokemon it tends to check nicely can still be checked with a 252/4 spread!

Once upon a time when toxic was common gastrodon was probably a risky pokemon to use, right now, especially in this meta its so rare to see toxic on pokemon not called politoed, gliscor or gastrodon.. Gastro can effectively keep coming in again and again to wall things.

Heres a replay to highlight Gastro's excellent bulk:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou12856262
He had an excellent team but no way to deal with Gastro, it really shuffled up his team.

The set I use:

Gastrodon @ leftovers
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
Trait: Water Absorb
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
I have to say, physically defensive gastrodon has caused me a lot of trouble lately. Grass moves/types are so rare and with two extremely common special types useless, it's hard to ko the physically defensive spread. It isn't godlike or anything, but gastrodon definitely deserves to sit alongside the other b-rank pokemon in the current meta.

Having used Mamoswine quite a lot, he's definitely an A-Rank Pokemon.

Ground and Ice are great STAB's together and have great coverage. Mamoswine can take on sand teams rather well, plus Dragons are kept at their knees with priority Ice Shard. Mamoswine is, quite frankly, immune to both sand and hail damage, which is a plus. He also is a nice weapon against Venusaur and some others. Also, it shits on Ttar. Not to mention it sets up SR. Pretty solid anti-meta Pokemon with some really good qualities, A-Rank for sure.
I can't agree more with this. Mamoswine is a beast and checks many common threats in the OU tier. I always find myself rolling with Mamoswine on my teams.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon gets a bad rap. It really does. People think this big pink slug is damn near useless, but it's quite the opposite. Since the current meta game is very weather based, Gastrodon fits right in as one of the best counters to Rain in the meta game. It's immune to Hydro Pumps from Politoed and Keldeo while also being immune to Thundurus-T who can't really touch Gastrodon without HP Grass. On top of that, Storm Drain makes Gastrodon an instant threat once it comes into a Water attack, turning it into an offensive tank. A STAB Earth Power or Surf hits hard with a +1 boost, and with the combination of Toxic and Earth Power Gastrodon can even take down bulky water types. Another huge advantage that Gastrodon has is its access to Recover, which makes it really hard to deal with without a Grass move. Although a rare Pokemon, Gastrodon has the tendency to make players paranoid into putting Power Whip on Ferrothorn over Gyro Ball solely for Gastrodon if there team is lacking a Grass move. I've been up against a few myself without a Grass type, and I tell you it's one of the most annoying Pokemon to deal with in the game. Especially if you miss predict and it gets a free +1, then you're in for trouble. Although Gastrodon is literally slow as a slug, and it's rather frail on the defensive side, Gastrodon is blessed with a monstrous HP stat and a very useful ability that makes Gastrodon more then meets the eye. It shouldn't be compared to the likes of Infernape as being non viable in this meta game, because it absolutely is useful.

Gastrodon I feel would be a solid low B-Rank.

Mamoswine for A-Rank, its basically one of the larger forces in the meta, thanks to good typing, good movepool, good stats, a useful ability, and anything else that the others mentioned.

Gastrodon.... eh, I dunno. Its sorta in a weird place. Its stats are decent, its typing is pretty good, and its got the movepool to back it up. However, I don't think its that good right now. Stats, like I said, are decent, but decent sometimes isn't enough. You guys are going on about Storm Drain boosted Earth Powers and Waterfalls, but are forgetting that Gastrodon, to be any real use, is going to be using a defensive set with very little offensive investment and only one or two attacks, backed up with a base 92 Sp Attack, which isn't going to be hitting very hard. The fact that Ferrothorn and Celebi, two of the best Pokemon in the meta, destroy Gastrodon doesn't help matters. Of course, it does have the ability to take on Electric types and Water types, which is very useful, but it still does take a buttload of damage from coverage attacks and the like. I guess you guys know better than I do, since I never use it, but I'm a little hesitant on B-Rank.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I oppose Gastrodon for B rank, since I was the one who originally nominated him for C rank, but I've already made my case for why he shouldn't be B rank so I don't really feel like typing it out again haha. I'm pretty sure the arguments were made around page 60 or so, so I ask that you all go read about it there. Basically, I think Gastrodon was a lot more useful in times past, and the standard set can actually be broken by a lot of common physical threats. I don't like people citing offensive sets since those are irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure Gary was just saying that he can do more damage than you might expect with a boost, which is true, but I don't think it's noticeable enough to make a difference. Either way, things like Celebi and Breloom are so common now that Gastrodon really has to stay on its toes (does it even have toes?) if it wants to survive. So yeah, I don't support B rank, but it seems like I'm in the minority, so whatever.

I oppose Gastrodon for B rank, since I was the one who originally nominated him for C rank, but I've already made my case for why he shouldn't be B rank so I don't really feel like typing it out again haha. I'm pretty sure the arguments were made around page 60 or so, so I ask that you all go read about it there. Basically, I think Gastrodon was a lot more useful in times past, and the standard set can actually be broken by a lot of common physical threats. I don't like people citing offensive sets since those are irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure Gary was just saying that he can do more damage than you might expect with a boost, which is true, but I don't think it's noticeable enough to make a difference. Either way, things like Celebi and Breloom are so common now that Gastrodon really has to stay on its toes (does it even have toes?) if it wants to survive. So yeah, I don't support B rank, but it seems like I'm in the minority, so whatever.
In the replay you can clearly see the opponent had a Breloom, but it doesn't have an easy time coming in on ice beam.

Also you ignored the main reasons I proposed Gastro would make a good B rank, it makes a great wall and some of the most common "banded" or "specs" users can not only fail to ohko it but are often ohkoed in return with the appropriate move, in particular Dragons, Terrakion, Keldeo (non CM or LO), psyshock users etc can not easily break Gastro.

Throw in an inadvertently offensive metagame and I would argue that Gastro makes an excellent check to scarf users! Terrakion and Keldeo are perhaps currently the most common, both are effortlessly walled when scarfed (barring a Terrakion crit). Less used scarf pokemon like Latios, Salamence and Jirachi can also be checked very easily and must rely on trick to cripple Gastro.

Its true some specs users such as Latios give it a hard time regardless of whether Gastro is specially or physically defensive (Psyshock and Draco meteor respectively) and some band users will always trouble it (Gasto can't switch in on banded CC from terrakion, but it can still check it!) but it still stands that Gastro has a habit of coming in for free on various pokemon and the difficulty in ohkoing or 2hkoing a pokemon capable of doing some serious damage is a thing that makes Gastro OU and B rank viable.

Most of the OU juggernauts powerful enough to 2hko Gastro excluding grass types must be weary of a supereffective ice or ground type attack. Other pokemon can simply not deal with gastro.. unless you're running something "different".

I would also argue the current meta is BETTER for Gastrodon if anything. It checks the new threats hard countering bulky Landorus T, scarfed/setup Thundurus-T not running GK whilst enjoying a metagame with less toxic and more choice scarfs and mixed coverage attackers, in particular Gastro does well against sand and Rain but I will admit it struggles against sun thanks to Venusaur. I think players who wish to try Gastro simply have to start experimenting with a physically defensive Gastrodon as it really is a wonder in this current meta.

edit: It is true that having a Ferro/Celebi is almost certain insurance against Gastrodon but I have not necessarily had it become suddenly "useless" with their presence, its effect that match is merely hampered (or requires prediction).. in a similar vein to how Banded Terrakions effectiveness is "hampered" by a Landorus-T/Gliscor

edit 2: as Gastro is a defensive pokemon, the burden is on the other player to 2hko gastro before it eventually ko's back (assuming no toxic). So keep that in mind :) (this is in response to the importance placed on special attack, thats just a bonus ;)

The current meta is not very kind to it
lolwut? The only pokes that it might have trouble with in terms of easy 1hkos/setup opprotunities that are common are celebi and breloom. And breloom is 1hkod by ice beam iirc if it is to switch in.

Whereas gastro is a complete asshole to keldeo and those other fun choiced water spammers. In fact, anything that uses electric/water/ice coverage is basically screwed. Even with gastrodon is not out, it makes it a huge liability for the opponents scarf keldeo to come in to revenge, say, a landorus, as it will have to resort to hp ice to not be completely shut down, but hp ice offers a huge amount of setup opprotunity.

It also handles non-np thundy (or np without focus blast), checks lando, walls starmie and rotom-w, etc.

tl;dr: The meta is perfectly suited to it

I'm actually surprised that I've not seen very much of Victini at all, running around in OU. While he may have a full set of weaknesses, his bulk mitigates a lot of them, taking only minor damage from many attacks, when he functions as a tank.

The following set has met with much more than its fair share of success:

Cute Stuff (Victini) @ Shell Bell
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Brick Break
- Trick Room

First off, this Victini is a tank, most likely unlike the ones which people like to use (like Scarf/Band sets).

This set actually takes advantage of the speed drop V-Create provides, to execute a 4-turn string of attacks that usually leaves my opponent's team lying in shreds, if it doesn't win the match outright.

Before I go into the moves, I'm going to hit on why I gave it the EV's and item I did. First off, his defenses are balanced, and so I've chosen to invest in HP, and put a Shell Bell on it, because the only turns he is NOT attacking are when he's either setting up Trick Room, or switching out after a sweep.

While this one doesn't necessarily survive the worst of the worst, It does survive a lot, even after a defense drop, because the only things that can touch him after one V-Create under the sun in TR are extremely bulky stall mons, bulky resists to all of his moves, and powerful priority users.

In the way of priority, the only move that Victini ever has to worry about is Extremespeed, coming from a bulky D-nite that's already set up, if it manages to net a 2HKO before this little devil does. He resists Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, AND Ice Shard, and takes only neutral damage from Quick Attack, which is a joke when it comes to breaking him.

As for strong SE attacks, he does tend to take those pretty well, but either Stone Edge or Earthquake/Earth Power from a whole lot of stuff sends him packing. Notable users include Terrakion, the odd Haxorus, the occasional D-nite, lots of Landos (he's survived SOME attacks, but I've a feeling the EV's over there were screwed up). Tyranitar is also a major threat, most notably because of the move Crunch/Pursuit more than anything.

He obviously functions best in the sun, so that he can take his already-powerful signature move to awesome new levels... However, he doesn't need it. As long as he doesn't find himself at the mercy of a rain team and under their weather, he is actually a very competent sweeper.

Those are pretty much his setbacks. He can easily go toe-to-toe with most hail abusers out there (including Kyurem-B as long as TR is in play along with sun), and is able to effectively sweep a good portion of the metagame.

His EV's are optimized to be able to tank a hit from either a wall or medium-strength/sweeper with moves that he can take at least twice, and then set up TR... and then proceed to sweep with enough health to deal with your usual priority, if it gets in the way in the first couple turns of his sweep.

EV's can be switched at need from HP to defense, so that he can better tank more common hits coming his way, but be they in HP or Defense, it's all according to both need and personal preferences. Either way, Victini is naturally very bulky, which makes him a great tank on any sun team.

As for the moves, they've been chosen for maximum viability. I considered running Final Gambit, but by the time he gets done attacking any foe, he usually has enough damage built up to make it a rather mediocre move. Other good options to run include Willowisp, Thunder Wave (even though this is very counter-productive to any TR set), Reversal (especially late-game, or near the end of his 4-turn sweep), and a variety of other moves.

However, for this set, Brick Break is the third move, as Bolt Strike is way too good to simply pass up, as its coverage when paired with V-Create is pretty darned good, outside of dragons.

Overall, as I've mentioned before, this set very much welcomes sunlight, which mitigates his water weakness, as well as opens up a good window of opportunity in establishing a sweep.

Overall, he's extremely effective against anything that doesn't have access to priority and/or fails to 2HKO him, because once Trick Room gets going, only walls have any hope, which is severely lessened when they have to deal with V-Create, be it in the sun or not.

Considering all of these things, Victini is very viable in today's meta, if given the correct team support.

Guys, hear me out on this one before you judge it. I'm recommending we add Medicham to at least D-Rank, though I'd like to push it to low C.
Right, so Medicham has crappy defenses, 60/75/75, meaning it basically can take one or two resisted hits. It has an okay speed, 80, which puts it in the same tier as Mamoswine and Dragonite, and its typing, offensively, is okay as well. It also has a large movepool that consists of Hi Jump Kick, either Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt, the elemental Punches, Trick, and some other options that I won't go into.
Annnnnd its got Pure Power.
Let's put it this way. An Adamant Medicham has the equivalent of exactly two points less Attack than an Adamant Kyurem Black. Two points. Yep. And this is backed by a base 130 power STAB attack with 90 accuracy, not to mention that movepool. Basically, slap a Choice Scarf on that and clean up teams.
Here are some calcs, just to show you what Medicham can do.
All of these are with a Jolly, scarved Medicham with a moveset of Hi Jump Kick, Psycho Cut, Ice Punch, and Trick.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 150-177 (44.91 - 52.99%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 225-265 (58.59 - 69.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Ice Punch vs. 200 HP / 244 Def Landorus-T: 228-272 (61.78 - 73.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 306-362 (94.73 - 112.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those are coming from an unboosted Scarfer. At the end of a match, its so easy to sack something, send in Medicham, and just spam Hi Jump Kick. You don't need to set up or anything, just remove Ghosts, Scarfers, and the odd Protect user and you're golden.
Thoughts?

Guys, hear me out on this one before you judge it. I'm recommending we add Medicham to at least D-Rank, though I'd like to push it to low C.
Right, so Medicham has crappy defenses, 60/75/75, meaning it basically can take one or two resisted hits. It has an okay speed, 80, which puts it in the same tier as Mamoswine and Dragonite, and its typing, offensively, is okay as well. It also has a large movepool that consists of Hi Jump Kick, either Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt, the elemental Punches, Trick, and some other options that I won't go into.
Annnnnd its got Pure Power.
Let's put it this way. An Adamant Medicham has the equivalent of exactly two points less Attack than an Adamant Kyurem Black. Two points. Yep. And this is backed by a base 130 power STAB attack with 90 accuracy, not to mention that movepool. Basically, slap a Choice Scarf on that and clean up teams.
Here are some calcs, just to show you what Medicham can do.
All of these are with a Jolly, scarved Medicham with a moveset of Hi Jump Kick, Psycho Cut, Ice Punch, and Trick.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 150-177 (44.91 - 52.99%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 225-265 (58.59 - 69.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Ice Punch vs. 200 HP / 244 Def Landorus-T: 228-272 (61.78 - 73.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 306-362 (94.73 - 112.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those are coming from an unboosted Scarfer. At the end of a match, its so easy to sack something, send in Medicham, and just spam Hi Jump Kick. You don't need to set up or anything, just remove Ghosts, Scarfers, and the odd Protect user and you're golden.
Thoughts?
I think D-rank is fine for Medicham. C-rank would be pushing it a little bit since Azumarill has the same ability, better bulk, and STAB Priority that can be boosted by Rain.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
medicham is not viable in ou. its pathetic defenses mean switch-in opportunities are rare, and while it's true that it's very powerful, it's also so slow that even when it can switch in, it's likely that it will be outsped and killed anyways. the amount of times medicham will actually get to attack in most battles is not more than 1. of all the nominations i've seen this is by far the least worthy of a slot in the viability rankings. key word: viability. if it's not viable, it shouldn't be in the rankings, so let's leave medicham alone because it will never be used competitively in the bw ou tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)