The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Man, we had our chance to go top and we really should've. Fulham @ Home should = 3 points.

Only consolation is what Pillowrath stated above.

I don't understand why Rafa didn't start Alonso...he's easily been Liverpool's best player this year. Lucas and Mascherano are basically the same player :S

Also result for the toon against Chelsea!

alonso played 90 mins on wednesday for spain. Travelled quite a bit too, so I can see why he was "rested" but that said, I would still rather have had him start

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's exactly the same reason why Anderson was rested, or at least I hope that is why; I don't want Giggs favored over Anderson in the centre of midfield.

Frustrating for us last night because we had a chance to close the gap, but we could not capitalize.

i cant understand this. Gerrard "dives" when there was some contact with him and we have an argument about it but Rooney dives without having the slightest bit of contact and there's no comment about it. What the hell dudes :(

I am hoping more than anything that ManC draw against Utd and Arsenal do the same with Chelsea. But that would only be worth it IF liverpool actually start scoring.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gerrard was awarded a penalty kick, unlike Rooney. Gerrard's momentum carried him into Athletico's player, mainly out of desperation to recieve the ball. The Athletico player was unable to predict how that perhaps Gerrard's intentions were to look for a penalty appeal for before he even made contact, hence the harms hung high in the air afterwards.

But have we seen Rooney criticize "divers" through interviews? Not to my recollection.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
I am hoping more than anything that ManC draw against Utd and Arsenal do the same with Chelsea. But that would only be worth it IF liverpool actually start scoring.
Even better if City could repeat what they did last year (?) and beat Manchester United. That would surely make Man U less confident going into games against bigger clubs. If Chelsea lose or draw, I will be ecstatic. Not expecting much though.

Yes, we need to score.

Taylor said:
Gerrard was awarded a penalty kick, unlike Rooney. Gerrard's momentum carried him into Athletico's player, mainly out of desperation to recieve the ball. The Athletico player was unable to predict how that perhaps Gerrard's intentions were to look for a penalty appeal for before he even made contact, hence the harms hung high in the air afterwards.

But have we seen Rooney criticize "divers" through interviews? Not to my recollection.
That doesn't make what Rooney did any better. He still dived, and that's that. His actions on the pitch are no better than Gerrard's. Gerrard, however, might have criticised players about what he did and that, I agree, makes what he did seem worse. The real thing is: they both dived, they're both as bad as each other IMO. Just because Gerrard was awarded a penalty makes it no worse.

That being said, I'm not going to defend Gerrard about what he said in the interveiw. Still, he loves this club and would hate to see them go out of the Champions League. Extreme circumstances happen and cause things to happen that a player wouldn't normally do. We all know that Gerrard really doesn't dive at all, so when he does there is a big guffaw about it.

Taylor

i am alien
That doesn't make what Rooney did any better. He still dived, and that's that. His actions on the pitch are no better than Gerrard's. Gerrard, however, might have criticised players about what he did and that, I agree, makes what he did seem worse. The real thing is: they both dived, they're both as bad as each other IMO. Just because Gerrard was awarded a penalty makes it no worse.

That being said, I'm not going to defend Gerrard about what he said in the interveiw. Still, he loves this club and would hate to see them go out of the Champions League. Extreme circumstances happen and cause things to happen that a player wouldn't normally do. We all know that Gerrard really doesn't dive at all, so when he does there is a big guffaw about it.
I never implied Rooney should have been criticized "less" because, unlike Gerrard's hypocrisy, the fact remains that he dove in order to recieve a penalty. Strictly speaking within the diving incidents, yes, they're both as bad as one another; however, Gerrard's was taken further given the controversy that surrounded his appeal and how it could have effected Liverpool's ability to qualify for the knock-out stages. But to top that off, Gerrard was quoted to have criticized other players in interviews on more than one occasion. And if you can present me with a video compilation of Rooney's diving ordeals, then I would want to see them; if not, you can always resort to Gerrard's collective clips of his diving antics.

The commentators seem to believe Rooney apologized to one of Villareal's defenders for diving, whether the incident was intentional or not. Then you have Gerrard, who was interviewed after the match, claiming his penalty to have been legitimately awarded with the referee's judgment; I believe that to have been motivated through the atmosphere's reaction when Gerrard fell to the floor dramatically.

They both dove, they are both fellow Englishmen, and are both world-class players, yet their incidents were different in certain areas, which reflects on the level of criticism both players had to digest.

no, see this is my point. Rooney apologizes for diving and all's forgiven. Gerrard's "dive" wasn't a dive but it was in no way a penalty either and yet everyone argued about how he's a hypocrite (i dont deny that he isnt but when the convo took place wasn't right)

Taylor

i am alien
I personally feel Gerrard could have easily landed on his feet and continued to attain possession, yet he intentionally fell over in search for a penalty.

Rooney, to my recollection, has dove just once in the three years that I have seen him play; whereas Gerrard, who I don't see play regulary given the lack of interest I have for both England and Liverool's matches, has his very own compilation of dives.

The differences should not be disregarded because there are similarities within both incidents. The differences reflect on the different reactions. This answers your question.

It is sad that ManU have won against ManC. Anyway, Chelsea vs Arsenal is going to start and in whose side are you going to be? I feel Chelsea are going to win since Arsenal is a horrible team and has got very less good players. I'm a Chelsea fan and they must win the Premier League at least this time.

Taylor

i am alien
It will be a fanastic round-up this weekend should the score at Stamford Bridge remain the same. 2-1 to Arsenal, which bodes well for us.

Evra played absolutely fantastic. Quite easily the best full-back at this moment in time.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chelsea 1-2 Arsenal

Good stuff :)

Glad United held on earlier today. Was a bit of a frustrating game IMO, but good none the less and we still won.

Hopefully West Ham can do everyone a favour, but now United aren't looking so far behind at all.

Evra played absolutely fantastic. Quite easily the best full-back at this moment in time.
Words are a disservice to Evra's performance.

On the other hand Howard Webb is an idiot. Ridiculous yellows for Ronaldo, Fletcher and Rafael. I'm pretty sure Ireland was booked and made a similar challenge to Ronaldo's first yellow and didn't get sent off.

And clearly for the sending off Ronaldo wasn't gaining an advantage nor trying to, so under the rules that is not a yellow card.

Taylor

i am alien
Words are a disservice to Evra's performance.

On the other hand Howard Webb is an idiot. Ridiculous yellows for Ronaldo, Fletcher and Rafael. I'm pretty sure Ireland was booked and made a similar challenge to Ronaldo's first yellow and didn't get sent off.

And clearly for the sending off Ronaldo wasn't gaining an advantage nor trying to, so under the rules that is not a yellow card.
I don't think Evra's performence was that immaculate; his performence was capable of commentation.

Had it not been Ronaldo, I would be inclined to believe the decision wouldn't have turned out like it did. Webb must've remembered Ronaldo's previous incident, what with the sarcastic applaud, et cetera.

you only get a yellow for handball if you seek to gain an advantage from doing so - sometimes wrongly seen as deliberate handball = yellow.

the ball was on Ronaldo's head so is he really gaining an advantage there? it is debatable.

wow, im surprised to be the first one to mention that Ronaldo has won the Ballon d’or just a few hours ago, he completely deserves it and is the best player of the year, congrats to ronny and i hope he gets more of this awards in the future.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
could've told you that myself. but seriously, your crazy luck is dying down. You would be 3rd/4th without random sendings offs, deflected free kicks and about 5 red cards.
I still think that our build-up play this season has been top class. We've just been shit in front of goal, even with arguably one of the best strikers in the world.

could've told you that myself. but seriously, your crazy luck is dying down. You would be 3rd/4th without random sendings offs, deflected free kicks and about 5 red cards.
Other than the Cahill red card against Everton (we had the game won anyway), which one red card can you tell me wasn't deserved? We only had some luck against Sunderland/Middlesbrough. The other games that we won, we deserved to win. That being said, we are horrible in front of goal and break down a team that comes only to defend. Ehh, at least Hull doesnt play "10 men behind the ball" kind of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)