The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the zlatan for eto'o deal I think it's pretty ingenious on the Barcelona side actually. Eto'o refused to renew his contract so they only had him for a year, and then he would've left and gone wherever. So basically they only paid 43 million (I believe that's the number) for a very quality player.

I'm a big Zlatan fan so this might be biased but I think he's better than Eto'o though I will admit that his speed (or rather lack of it) might cause him some problems in integrating with a fast paced team like barca. His height on set pieces and ability to finish from outside the penalty area seems to be a great addition to the team and his creativity fits right in. I think he'll do great in La Liga but in the CL (as everyone knows) he's had issues. As for that I think with the great service provided by ineista/xavi/messi he'll do just fine. Who supported him at inter? I guess Maicon (a very quality player but really??).

i think that eto'o was a better fit for barca's system, with his blazing speed and decent finishing ability. Zlatan is good, but is slow and can be lazy at times.

You are right about the contract though i dont think that they offered eto'o enough money.

As for the zlatan for eto'o deal I think it's pretty ingenious on the Barcelona side actually. Eto'o refused to renew his contract so they only had him for a year, and then he would've left and gone wherever. So basically they only paid 43 million (I believe that's the number) for a very quality player.

I'm a big Zlatan fan so this might be biased but I think he's better than Eto'o though I will admit that his speed (or rather lack of it) might cause him some problems in integrating with a fast paced team like barca. His height on set pieces and ability to finish from outside the penalty area seems to be a great addition to the team and his creativity fits right in. I think he'll do great in La Liga but in the CL (as everyone knows) he's had issues. As for that I think with the great service provided by ineista/xavi/messi he'll do just fine. Who supported him at inter? I guess Maicon (a very quality player but really??).
I think it's a pretty damn stupid move. Eto'o + 40 million euros + Hleb on loan puts Ibrahimovic at around £60m. Inter must be laughing replacing Ibra with Eto'o who is on the same level except Eto'o is a better goalscorer and still getting shitloads of money as well as Hleb who is decent.

I know Eto'o had a year left on his contract but City were willing to pay £25m for him and you could easily get close to £20m for a player that scored 37 goals last season.

I think Zlatan will do well for Barcelona he's not the fastest but he doesn't really need pace when there's a lot of pace around him in Henry and Messi. I think that Eto'o is a better fit for Barca since he's more direct and looks to score first rather than spread the play and then get into a position like Zlatan.

I got to see Chelsea vs AC Milan, excellent game and I'm very glad that ESPN is televising the World Football Challenge.

I doubt it, but did anyone see Sounders FC vs Chicago Fire yesterday? Very exciting game, I love watching Sounders FC play. MLS tends to be a bit faster paced and less technical than UEFA soccer.

Na, i don't think the MLS it's that bad, it has some pretty good players, on other note the final of Copa Oro it's coming, place ur bets Mex or USA?

I am betting on Mex since i am mexican but i am sure most of people here would disagree with my opinion and probably flame me, but i am sure that mexico has a team capable of defeating USA tough it looks hard

GO GO MEXICO, awesome, Mex needed a victory like this and man it was awesome 5-0, i never expected something like that, now the read deal in the match for the world cup in the Azteca, i hope mexico wins again and if possible by the same result =P

I think it's a pretty damn stupid move. Eto'o + 40 million euros + Hleb on loan puts Ibrahimovic at around £60m. Inter must be laughing replacing Ibra with Eto'o who is on the same level except Eto'o is a better goalscorer and still getting shitloads of money as well as Hleb who is decent.

I know Eto'o had a year left on his contract but City were willing to pay £25m for him and you could easily get close to £20m for a player that scored 37 goals last season.

I think Zlatan will do well for Barcelona he's not the fastest but he doesn't really need pace when there's a lot of pace around him in Henry and Messi. I think that Eto'o is a better fit for Barca since he's more direct and looks to score first rather than spread the play and then get into a position like Zlatan.

I read an article that stated hleb was apparently part of a different trade let me see if I can find it...

Also Barca has been having issues with Eto'o and his attitude for a while now. I believe they could've just straight traded him for zlatan or have given a little money for zlatan and it would've been fine except Barca really wants to get rid of Eto'o and get the best use out of him. The deal is a lot less outrageous than it sounds which is why it's a lovely move for Barcelona. Everyone thinks they way overpaid for him and I bet Inter thinks they got a great deal too but in the end it was a really normal trade of 40 mill for zlatan.

It was a good result for Mexico, both squads were incomplete though, mostly the US.

Now let's see if Mexico gets better in the qualifiers, the 12 of August USA visits Mexico and it's a must win game for Mexico, which compromised their chances to qualify for the world cup.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Barcelona were lucky to win the Champions League last year when they were moments away from knockout at Stamford Bridge. They were unable to effectively execute their strategy because Chelsea's monstrous defensive play that shut them down; essentially Barcelona were immobalized. The style of play is intruiging on the eye, exciting to watch and perhaps the way the game should be played; however, when you're up against 10 men (who are all defending), you need to alternate your approach to the game. But Barcelona only play one way; they just don't hoof the ball from the goalkeeper to the striker. Now, with Zlatan, that's possible. They have acquired a new dimension of play in their team.

I think not only are they on the verge of signing a world class forward, but an asset that considers the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool in the latter stages of the CL.

Both Inter and Barcelona will benefit from this.

Arsenal our selling there league position away, and unless they can solidfy some good replacements, I really don't see them contending for a Champions League Spot, and even struggling to contend with Uefa cup spot.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd. to finish top 3, Utd. to place 1st, Liverpool 2nd and Chelsea 3rd. 4th place I am leaning towards Villa on O'Neill's Managing skills, and in regards to Man City, I don't think they'll gel quick enough to mount a serious Challenge this year, that and I am not a huge fan of Sparky.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really think we will have any trouble reaching 4th spot, I'll agree that unless we spend more we probably won't get any higher but I see no threat from Man City at the moment as they are just buying strikers and as for villa this year I doubt they'll be so much of a threat as we may have lost adebayor but although wenger may be very cautious with spending i'm almost certain we will buy at least one more player.

According to days reports, Kolo Toure is on his way to Man City for £14million, and unless you find a way to replace Adebayors average of 20 league goals, I really don't see any challenge being made, seeing how your squad lacked depth as it was.

Well it was either going to be Gallas or Toure. But yes, we lacked depth already and it is worrying that no significant steps are being made, but 2 seasons ago we were even more paper thin squadwise and we've been steadily building.

Man City continues to buy stars, in hopes for results. Lame.

I'm so disappointed in my Arsenal.. I never lose faith in them, so I'm hoping out of all this, our young gunners play excellent ball this season.

The decline of Arsenal seems to be in full force though. Yet they always find a way to make it through the struggles.

Chelsea looks very nice so far. I love the form they are having, and the young players that are bringing some "new life" to the squad.

I am very looking forward to the Premiership opener(s).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Found this when I was going through some of my old photo albums earlier. It's dated early 2006 back when I actually used to play football (knee injury put an end to that loooong ago) but it's still decent enough I guess. Get stressed towards the end though, bastard football.

I don't know whether to be annoyed or pleased with Michael Owen's initial success at Man Utd. I caught one of his goals t'other day (dunno which one, Berbatov played a nice little flick, Owen chested it and then volleyed it) and he's looking really sharp again!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
heh, I'd like to think I was better than that video suggests. I lose control way too many times, maybe it was just the stress from being on camera though. It gets me all nostalgic, I'm gonna dig out a football some time for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)