The Studio - Song Recommendations

st. pablo

custom title
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Recommendations for the Week of: March 9th - March 16th, 2018
adding some life to this thread

As stated in the previous post, we had a fun little twist this week. All staff were challenged to submit a song that had the word "Life" in the title somewhere! Trying to mix it up a bit and make things a bit more lively. Keep checking in for any future challenges we do!​

• (%) babsus
  • Song: RuPaul - Drag Up Your Life
  • Genre: Pop
  • Description: A song written and performed by the top 5 All Stars from RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars (Season 3): Bebe Zahara Benet, BenDeLaCreme, Kennedy Davenport, Shangela and Trixie Mattel.

• (&) bumbadadabum
  • Song: AIDSttila - About that Life
  • Genre: lol
  • Description: I'm determined to have the WORST song rec this week, and with this song I'm fairly certain I have that title on lockdown

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: pavement - range life
  • Genre: indie rawk with a country-ish kinda feel or something
  • Description: steve fucking BTFOs the smashing pumpkins and stone temple pilots in this song. what is a nature kid anyway

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: No Doubt - It's My Life
  • Genre: Rock
  • Description: A throwback from when Gwen Stefani did rock. Really love how her vocals mix in well with the rock sound and it's just a great song from a great band.

Last edited:

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
Recommendations for the week of March 16th to March 23rd Yes, I know I'm a little late
We don't have a theme for this week, but we're taking ideas from you all! The link is here! If you have any questions, be sure to stop by the studio and ask a staff member!

• (%) CloudyNatu
  • Song: TV on the Radio - Trouble
  • Genre: Alternative/Indie
  • Description: Chill song performed by an underrated indie rock band from Brooklyn, NY. Song I often listen to when studying/working on tasks that require tons of focus.

• (%) (some admin impersonator) coinboy
  • Song: vashti bunyan - glow worms
  • Genre: Folk
  • Description: listen to this song to immediately acquire british citizenship and 2 horses

• (%) Michael Jordan (vivalospride)
  • Song: Xxxtentacion - Infinity (888)
  • Genre: Hip-Hop
  • Description: Holy fuck y'all this is actually nuts wtf, Joey snaps, X snaps, X deadass says "deepthroat a desert eagle" BARS.

• (#) The Artist Formerly Known as Brandon~
  • Song: Echosmith - Over My Head
  • Genre: Downtempo Pop
  • Description: This is Echosmith's first single from their upcoming sophomore album, and it's honestly really great. It gives you the same sense and style of their first album, but also has some new exploration too, which has me really hyped for the new album. The song is really chill and really catchy at first, but has a frustrated undertone to it as she's wondering if she'd gonna be able to fix a relationship with a dude that's always talking above her.

• (#) Arrested
  • Song: XXXTENTACION - Moonlight
  • Description: this was one of my favorite tracks off of "?", the album as a whole seems super experimental but i still think i like it a tad more than 17. this song has really funky rhythms and an interesting tune but it's a fun listen. disclaimer: i wanted to recommend infinity (888) but vivalosgoat sniped me, alas.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Lana Del Rey - Heroin
  • Genre: Dream Pop
  • Description: In spite of the much more positively geared sound from Lust For Life, Heroin has a much darker tone than any other song on the record I feel. The song talks about the struggles of addiction and some of the current problems of Hollywood in Lana's eyes, referencing old Hollywood, 80s heavy metal bands, and other big pop culture scandals such as the Manson Family cult. PSA: somewhat touchy topic, so watch out for that, but overall, it's a really nice listen.

Also, help us in congratulating CloudyNatu in getting room driver!

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: March 23rd - March 30th, 2018

Again this week, staff were challenged with a new theme, this time being having the artist's first letter match the song's first letter! We got a variety of different submissions from our staff, and was actually quite fun in finding songs for this challenge, I encourage everyone to give it a shot as well!​

• (#) Number 1 Beyonce Fan (Brandon~)
  • Song: Beyonce - Baby Boy (Feat. Sean Paul)
  • Genre: R&B with a twang of Reggae
  • Description: Got that triple alliteration with that Beyonce swag. This is one of my favorite songs of hers, it's old and great. Love when someone does a mashup with music from different cultures, and it's just a fun listen.

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: contrastic - chopin's ulcerous colic
  • Genre: deathgrind with piano
  • Description: it's sort of a generic sounding grindcore/deathgrind riff but they put a piano over it playing the same notes and it's pretty cool. also chopin was a madman

• (%) CloudyNatu
  • Song: Muse - Madness
  • Genre: Progressive metal/alternative
  • Description: One of the first songs by Muse I listened to that I instantly fell in love with.

• (@) Paradise
  • Song: Apollo Brown & OC - Anotha One
  • Description: Prolific beatmaker Apollo Brown produces a laid back track while OC tells you why he's not going to share his weed with you.

If you have any good theme ideas that you'd like us staff to try out, feel free to leave us challenge suggestions in our Google form! - http://spo.ink/song

Also, make sure to congratulate ImmaFirinMahLazer on getting room driver!

Last edited:

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: March 30th - April 6th, 2018

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Anitta - Indecente
  • Genre: Latin Pop / Funk
  • Description: Anitta is a Brazilian Pop singer, and has been bringing elements from Brazilian culture to Latin music in her past releases, which is very nice to see. "Indecente" is another example. The song is more or less about how women should not be perceived as weak when they're falling for a guy. The video was recorded live on Anitta's birthday, March 26th. Very enjoyable mid-tempo dance track overall.

• (%) KingSwordYT
  • Song: The Weeknd - Call Out My Name
  • Genre: R&B / Soul
  • Description :OMG, The Weeknd is back and this vibe is so lit lmao, this song brings so much feeling. Making art out of pain is the best way to cope & Selena made a huge mistake with this boy, he's absolutely F-I-R-E. SO CALL OUT MY NAAAAMMMMEEE !!!!!!!!

• (%) clatu's lover (vivalospride)
  • Song: Lil Wayne - It's Good
  • Description: This song is actually bonkers off of Tha Carter IV with 3 fire verses from Jada, Drizzy, and Weezy. Weezy's verse comes in so fire.

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Bebe Zahara Benet - Face
  • Genre: Dance/Electronic
  • Description: This song from the first ever winner of RuPaul's Drag Race is all about how amazing her Face is - needless to say, I can relate

• (#) StarBlimp (Brandon~)
  • Song: Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
  • Description: Probably Carly's best song imo, but I've recently fell in love with Emotions again, and would really recommend the whole album. This song in particular has some playfulness that Carly can be known for, while also highlighting her vocals quite nicely, and gathering it altogether with some really bangin' music.

Alpha

Banned deucer.
Recommendations for the Week of: April 6th - April 13th, 2018

Staff has been challenged again. HOW DARE YOU?! This week, staff had to submit a non-english song to spice things up. Keep checking in for any future challenges we do!

If you have any good theme ideas that you'd like us staff to try out, feel free to leave us challenge suggestions in our Google form! - http://spo.ink/song
Stay tuned~

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
Recommendations for the week of April 13th - April 20th
Just the status quo this week.
  • (%) hhhhhhhhhhhh (coinboy)
  • Song: thisishowitendedintokyo - i may be a scumbag but im not a fucking loser
  • Genre: Screamo
  • Description: I done figured this shit out if you think you gone bite on my swag, it's a virus (Oh!) I don my swag and I pull up on bitches dressed in all white like Miley Cyrus (Yeah!) No I'm not gay, I fuck bitches on bitches, I whip out she suck on my private (Sucky!) Lil nigga play, I'ma catch him down bad and then stick 'em fold 'em like a wallet (Ooh!)

• (%) CloudyNatu
  • Song: Junip - Don't Let it Pass
  • Genre: Indie
  • Description: Another movie soundtrack song but I figured that was better than whatever abomination coinboy posted this week

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Petite Meller - The Flute
  • Description: NOT A DRAG QUEEN! This French singer isn't very well known, but has a very unique look and style.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Shania Twain - Life's About To Get Good
  • Genre: Country
  • Description: I'm usually very picky about country music, but Shania's one of the my actual favorite artists because her songs always have some sort of Pop undertone, which makes them very enjoyable to listen. The song's overall just an uplifting anthem, about how life has its ups and downs, and how you should always keep your head high no matter what.

• (#) Bartier Brandon (Brandon~)
  • Song: Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry
  • Description: Just dropped; Ariana's newest single. I really enjoyed the song, and I think that Ariana is taking her artistic talent to a more mature level, and I am really intrigued to see where it goes tbh.

• (%) ImmaFirinMahLazer
  • Song: Kali Uchis - Flight 22
  • Genre: R&B / Neo Soul
  • Description: Kali Uchis delievers one of the best albums of the year with Isolation, In Flight 22 a song inspired by true events of a plane crash in 1978. She tells us the story about being on a flight with an amazing guy (which may or may not be me) and she doesn't care where the flight goes as long as she's with him (once again this person may or may not be me, we really dont know what Kali Uchis is thinking). Spoiler: The plane is gonna crash but she doesnt care because shes with this amazing guy who she loves (may or may not be me). I fully recommend this song and all of Isolation In whole as an album.

Song: Sugarland - Babe ft. Taylor Swift
Link:
Genre: Country, Pop
Recommending this song as it reminds me of RED Album Era. I guess it would probably be a hit if Pat Monahan (from Train) & Taylor release this single in 2012/2013... Other than that, Sugarland did justice to this song, so no complains ig... :>

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: April 20th - April 27th, 2018
You guys know the deal, we got a challenge this week! This week's challenge involved not only recommending a song, but also posting a music video that goes along with it! Let us know which one is your favorite!​

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Mariah Carey - Heartbreaker ft. Jay Z
  • Genre: R&B/Hip-Hop
  • Description: This is probably one of my favorite Mariah videos. It's about a guy that cheats on his girlfriend, and her friends incentive her to get back at him. Mariah's alter ego, Bianca, is born in this video as the girl that the guy's cheating his girlfriend with. Mariah and Bianca eventually get into a fight, but she wins and ends up breaking up with him afterwards.

• (%) P (coinboy)
  • Song: DyE - Fantasy
  • Genre: chillwave or some sh
  • Description: the song is ok but the video is insane

And make sure to congratulate Bate355 (HamSandwich335) on earning room driver in The Studio! :toast:

Alpha

Banned deucer.
Recommendations for the Week of: April 27th - May 4th, 2018 smh Arrested fell asleep

Free choice for the staff this week. Enjoy :psyglad:
Don't forget to suggest our next challenge here!
Stay tuned, stay studio~

• (%) AlphaWittem
  • Song: Thirty Seconds to Mars - Stranger In a Strange Land
  • Genre: Alternative Rock
  • Description: Best track in their best album, This Is War. Stranger in a Strange Land is full of power, and drums are able to give a sense of apprehension, like there's no escape. Useless to say Jared's voice is amazing.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li
  • Genre: Hip Hop/Rap
  • Description: The Queen of Rap is back! I honestly feel like this is one of the best songs Nicki has put out. The beat is amazing, her flow is great, and the lyrics is everything I could ever ask from her. Chun-Li was the first female character on a video game called Street Fighter, and Nicki seems to be comparing herself to her as she thinks she's one of the first female rappers to be so successful (she also said in an interview that she thinks she was the one that brought Hip Hop to mainstream). Lyrics sort of fall into that theme, while also containing some digs at Cardi B

• (%) CloudyNatu
  • Song: Dido - White Flag
  • Description: One of the best by a sometimes forgotten artist from the early 2000s.

• (%) PS! Username (coinboy)
  • Song: algernon cadwallader - spit fountain
  • Genre: * listens to cap'n jazz once *
  • Description: LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I THINK ABOUT Academy Award winning musician Juicy J 'Da Juice Mane'... IM FOR IT

• (#) Super Fly Cat (Brandon~)
  • Song: Florence + The Machine - Tiny Dancer
  • Description: Elton John headed a project to revamp his songs with a lot of modern artists to give a fresh spin on them, and I'm slayed by Florence yet again. It's so beautiful, and gives the original version a run for its money. Excited for her album as well!

• (%) Stan (vivalospride)
  • Song: Royce da 5'9" - Caterpillar
  • Genre: Hip Hop
  • Description: LOOOOOOOOOOOL THIS IS FUCKIN STUPID WTF IS THIS EM HAS LIKE 5 BARS ABOUT HIS PENCIL SHITTING THIS IS FUCKIN INSANE WTF IS THIS HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHA.

• (@) Amingo
  • Song: Greyhaven - Echo and Dust pt. I
  • Genre: Progressive Metal

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Christina Aguilera ft Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz - Accelerate
  • Description: SHE'S BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!

• (%) Ham (HamSandwich335)
  • Song: kabanos - psy krowy i kapusta
  • Genre: debilcore
  • Description: polish garb

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: cloud nothings - cut you
  • Genre: post-hardcore / indie rock
  • Description: best album steve albini ever produced

• (%) KingSwordYT
  • Song: Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
  • Genre: POP
  • Description: Long time since Shawn released a song this good, his voice is amazing. Huge Talent!

• (%) ImmaFirinMahLazer
  • Song: Charly Bliss - Percolator
  • Genre: Power Pop
  • Description: From one of my favorite albums of 2017. If you take 90's weezer and combined it with Cyndi Lauper you would get something similar to this group. Also please take the time to check out their amazing cover of Len's "Steal My Sunshine". Fun Fact: the bands guitarist Spencer Fox was the voice of Dash in Pixar's 2004 film The Incredibles.

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: May 4th - May 11th, 2018
I'm actually awake for once so your favorite local prisoner is back to post the recs this week. We've got a little flash from the past this week, as staff members all recommend a song from the 90s! Let us know what you think and also feel free to recommend your own song from the 90s. :pimp:

• (%) babsus
  • Song: RuPaul - Supermodel (You Better Work)
  • Description: Released in 1993, this club hit launched RuPaul's career. This track and the album it came from ultimately lead her to landing her on talk show, The RuPaul Show on VH1!

• (%) BateSandwich335 (HamSandwich335)
  • song: Closterkeller - Władza (Power)
  • Genre: Gothic rock
  • Description: Came out in 1996 on the album Cyan. The song itself is about well, power and about how much it's corrupt and such with references to WWII. (basically Polish shit)

• (%) non sopporto quando qualcuno usa la metafora della frittata a sproposito durante un mio discorso: "per favore coinboy, non rigirare la frittata eh!" ah è così? credi di poter usare male una metafora in mia presenza senza che io ti corregga? hai capito male [arrested note - yeah i have no idea either] (coinboy)
  • Song: duster - topical solution
  • Genre: slowcore, space rock
  • Description: lovesick haze chemical fire

• (@) John (John76)
  • Song: Butthole Surfers - Dust Devil
  • Genre: Alternative Rock / Neo-Psychedelia
  • Description: From the Surfers' 1993 album Independent Worm Saloon, produced by John Paul Jones of Led Zepellin. Baaaaaaaaaaaa.

• (%) CloudyNatu
  • Song: TLC - Waterfalls
  • Genre: Contemporary R&B/Pop
  • Description: One of TLC's biggest hits and my personal favorite by them. Released in the heart of the 90s ('94), and stayed popular throughout the decade. [arrested note - brandon got snaked :^)]

• (%) vivalosleepdeprived (vivalospride)
  • Song: Nas - N.Y. State of Mind
  • Genre: Hip Hop
  • Description: Life is a bitch, and death is her sister. Sleep is the cousin what a fuckin family picture. [arrested note - i got snaked :^(]

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Madonna - Justify My Love
  • Genre: Trip Hop
  • Description: Justify My Love, released in 1990 as the first single off of her first greatest hits album "The Immaculate Collection", is about a romantic encounter between a woman and her lover. The video goes a bit more in depth into that narrative and shows Madonna walking into an hotel full with men and women being intimate, alluding to subjects like bisexuality, sadomasochism, and voyeurism. The video ended up being banned from MTV and other equally important TV networks at the time due to its "sexual content". Despite this, it still topped the US charts, and was an international hit. Madonna was pretty much the biggest all around star at the time, and nobody was expecting her to release this kind of explicit content. Thus, the song had a huge cultural and social impact at the time, and paved the way for most female pop stars of the last two or three decades to own their sexuality.

• (#) Luctehfluff (Brandon~)
  • Song: Whitney Houston - Run To You
  • Genre: R&B
  • Description: A great and underrated song of Whitney's. She has such a pure voice and the song beautifully compliments her vocals and it's just a lovely song in general. Also F CloudyNatu for taking my reservation on TLC 3:<

Huge congratulations to 1Surgeon and rovietsussia on earning room mod in The Studio!

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: May 11th - May 18th, 2018
Mellow week, no theme, hope you enjoy.​

• (Former %) AlphaWittem
  • Song: Le luci della centrale elettrica - I DESTINI GENERALI
  • Genre: Indie pop
  • Description: I've decided to go for an Italian song this week. Le luci are one of my favourite Indie band, and I DESTINI GENERALI is easily, along with PUNK SENTIMENTALE, their best track in the album "Costellazioni". Vasco Brondi, the lead vocalist, states that "this song is an ode, a celebration with illogical happiness". The dancer in the video, Alice Guazzotti, has all around her colours, and her hands depicts constellations, the same constellations that give the title to the album. "I wanted to represent something that was the opposite of darkness".

• (%) i can now reveal my true identity: i was AlphaWittem all along. (coinboy)
  • Song: quercia - ritardo
  • Genre: emo
  • Description: if it's true that your life is finite then the time you experience in your life is the longest timespan you could ever experience and it might as well be the same as 'forever'. So be carerful

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Violet Chachki - A Lot More Me
  • Genre: Burlesque
  • Description: The RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 winner is back with a brand new burlesque song about sugar daddies! This iconic 11 minute 30 second long video is a fashion film which follows Violet checking into her hotel room, kicking a guy in the nuts after he insults her, and just generally feeling her oats in various locations. Burlesque icon Dita Von Teese makes a brief cameo.

Unfortunately Alpha is leaving us as Studio staff and this week he submitted his last rec, we'll miss him a lot and we wish him the best! :pirate:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)