The Well #69 - Hulavuta

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Tuesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."

Howdy y'all. Hula here. This is a great honor for me as I have badly wanted to have an interview in "The Smog" webzine as far as I can remember, but by the time I had become notable enough, they were no longer being done (I ended up having to create my own interview with myself in "The Flying Press" in order to have it
) And such a prestigious number too, I know it was in high demand.

This ended up being pretty long so I broke it down into hopefully easily-digestible sections.

Chapter 1: Pre-Smogon Days
First found out about Smogon in early 2012; at that time I was part of the StarCraft 2 community and one of the eSports channels I followed happened to do an interview at a VGC event. Around May of that year, I ended up deciding to leave StarCraft 2 over what I saw as extremely toxic and self-destructive attitude in the community (looking back, it's what we would today call cancel culture, which is doubly as bad when the scene is only almost sustainable and sponsors' investments are a leap of faith). I was trying to find a new community and dabbled in Yu-Gi-Oh! for a bit in the summer, but I found it too frustrating at higher levels. Eventually I got SoulSilver and became obsessed with it, and started to get interested in competitive Pokemon. I started watching MTGXerxes and Frostypixie on YouTube, and finally started using Smogon analyses. I, like many, judged BW as the shark-jumping moment, without even playing it, so that was the time I stopped following Pokemon. But I warmed up to it and played BW2 later that year. Looking back, I think it was the last great generation (sorry Yung Dramps).

I was a pretty early adopter of the internet, so almost every site I had joined, I had joined within the first three years of its existence. Smogon was founded in 2004 of course, so in 2012 it was already 8 years later. I didn't wanna be the new guy, so I hesitated on joining, but I figured the longer I waited, the younger the account would be, so might as well join now and look somewhat established when I eventually start posting. So, on September 24th, 2012, I finally joined. Crazy now that *I've* been on the site 8 years, which is how old it was when I joined. The first user I remember meeting was Theorymon that night on #pokemon, who mentioned that Smogon kinda needed new users.

Chapter 2: Smogon Career
From 2012 to 2014, I did homeschool (virtual school) so I had a lot of free time to spend. I mostly was involved with Orange Islands to begin with, since I was pretty bad at the game. Over the next year, I tried to get on the GP team and tried to get established in BW2UU (got into the Hall of Fame, shoutouts), but nothing really stuck. So I mostly hung around Orange Islands and became the host of the movie nights (taking over from Layell) where we watched all the Pokemon movies and specials as a group, and the Orange League, a series of in-game challenges. That was actually the first competition on Smogon to offer a banner as a prize, so if you got a banner as a prize for a tournament something, you have me (really Stellar) to thank! lol. I eventually got Community Contributor for that.

My big break on Smogon came in August 2014 when the Battle Spot leader (JabbaTheGriffin) and his most likely successor (Theorymon) were both inactive. Stellar was a supermod and a big mentor to me at the time, since I was coming up in Orange Islands where he was the section leader. So he came up with a plan to revitalize the Battle Spot section with me (and Age of Kings) as the section leaders. That was a big honor and a lot of fun to start college and become a mod at the same time. Smogon was very cliquish and exclusive at the time, and we made an effort, since we were basically starting a community from nothing, to be really friendly and inclusive. (Over the years, I saw the other sections go that way too as new leaders came in, which was nice). A few months later, AoK told me she didn't really enjoy the game anymore after ORAS and retired, so in January 2015 I nominated cant say to be the new co-leader. Yes, I gave cant say his big break so just like with the prize banners, if you are a fan of his you have me to thank. You're welcome again.

I have a pretty laissez faire leadership style, and I was far too shy to be in the public eye for the most part (yes I know that slightly contradicts always wanting an interview, what can I say I'm a complicated person :pimp:), so I never really posted much in policy threads or Inside Scoop, and I even just used the standard "Moderator" banner for the first two years. So most people didn't really know who I was. Most thought cant say was the sole section leader, and some even thought that Theorymon was the section leader (he never was!) which is big sad, but what can you do. At least you know now, dear reader. I wasn't a big fan of the SM metagame so in January 2018 I ended up retiring. I made a lot of good dear friends here though, so nowadays I just hang out. Mainly in the Battle Stadium (Battle Spot) Discord and the GP Discord despite doing neither (I do feel a bit guilty about that). I always wanted to participate in Firebot but was too scared of being called cringe or getting owned by mean witty users so I rarely did. I did see that culture start to change a bit around the latter half of last year, and Smogoff is loads of fun. So I'm happy to be here.

Chapter 3: Real Life
Brief real life stuff: 24, Male, Floridian. I'm a first generation Vietnamese-American; my parents were war refugees who had to walk to school with the sound of gunfire and bombs going off everywhere, which is extremely epic. Years later they met in the US and then had 2 sons 1 miscarriage then me. Pretty typical Asian family, my mom is a math teacher, my dad a philosophy professor, and my uncle a Karate instructor. Everyone else is either a doctor or a preacher.

Graduated grad school (at least I hope I did) this past December with a Master of Liberal Arts in Humanities, with a graduate certificate in Film Studies/History. Yeah liberal arts, I know. I can't deny that it's the "I don't know what I wanna do, so I'm stalling adulthood by doing this" major. 90% of my cohort was that. Previously, I was a Psychology/Social Work major with the intent to become a therapist. But eventually I decided that I wanted to be a teacher or professor, so it seemed like the right path for me. At my university I got a lot of opportunities to lead small 20-student discussions and 70-student lectures which was very fun and rewarding.

In November, I successfully defended my thesis, which was titled I'm Going Digital: Potentials for Online Communities through Internet Remix. In it, I basically situate the position of digital tools and internet memes within the history of art, and then offer some speculation and analyze some research as to why inside jokes and humor, especially the irreverent or edgy, become the primary way of building community and signaling solidarity online. Basically what we're all familiar with here, so it was cool that I could add some semi-autobiographical sections and that most people could actually understand what I was doing.

Looking for jobs teaching now, because I love being a positive influence on younger people and helping them to appreciate that life is more than just your job. It's a lot of fun helping some of the younger discord users with their essays and other homework as well. When it comes to hobbies, music is my life. My dream would be to be in a wedding band. I was always dragged to strangers' weddings by my parents as a kid, and they were always a blast even though I didn't know anyone. It's really the perfect audience. I would also love to be a composer for an indie game studio. I also wanted to be a novelist or tv writer for animated series when younger, but motivation has waned. Music is more immediately rewarding, lol.

Epilogue:
I think that's it really. That was kinda long but anyway. The tl;dr is I am responsible for prize banners so appreciate me.

Anyway, I got mixed feelings about being in such a self-indulgent spotlight but I'll try to enjoy it. :heart: I'm sure if I forgot anything important someone will ask me anyway. With that, I leave the floor to you!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since part of your thesis is around music remixes, what's your favorite, both for comedy and unironic listening reasons?

Mfk: gigan (he's from godzilla), king ghidorah (also from godzilla), and godzilla (from the godzilla franchise)?

What country in the world do you want to travel to most?

If you had to erase one great childhood tv show/movie/video game franchise from existence, which would you choose? You will be the only person in the world that still knows it existed and can never talk about it again without anybody calling you crazy

haven't responded to one of these in a while, let's do it

What was your favorite post in the early days of Smogoff (anything in Pages 10-8)?

What is your favorite post in Smogoff now (anything in Pages 1 - 3)?

Where does your username come from?

Are you going to tell me to read the original post if I ask an obvious question?

What is your favorite part of the forums here? Least favorite?

What is your favorite legendary pokemon?

What is your least favorite legendary pokemon?

Glastrier or Spectrier?

Galarian Articuno or Galarian Zapdos or Galarian Moltres?

Defensive or hard-hitting pokemon?

What is your 8th grade GPA?

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Before I start, I wanted to mention that Jimera0 was the co-host of The Orange League with me. I neglected to mention that, but I didn't want to take the credit from him.

how many hoola hoops can you do?
I actually don't remember, it's been so long since I've done them. But either I can do it pretty much indefinitely or if I can only do like 2 and then it falls. I am more of a jump rope guy though.

can you do the hula or the wave?
I can do the wave, but I need you to help.

☆・゜゚・HULA WAVE!!・゜゚・☆KEEP THE HULA GOING ☆・゜゚・LETS GO HULA !・゜゚・☆ \(^^)/

Since part of your thesis is around music remixes, what's your favorite, both for comedy and unironic listening reasons?
Too many to mention, can't go wrong with anything Neil Cicierega, SiIvaGunner, Triple-Q, and BotanicSage. One of the main ones I focused on for my thesis was Pokémon I really feel like it is one of the greatest works of art created.

This one that Mr. U shared is also great. I downloaded it to my phone back in the day.

When I was younger I was a big fan of GARticuno. I discovered my favorite anime/book series, Baccano! through a Slam Jam remix of the opening.

I think Slam Jams are kind of played out these days. But I also think this Renai Circulation x Get Lucky mashup by him is also great.

And this Tim and Eric one.

And of course this underrated live mashup performance. A mashup of Rebecca Black's "Friday" and Justin Bieber's "Baby" which eventually becomes about teenage pregnancy:

Mfk: gigan (he's from godzilla), king ghidorah (also from godzilla), and godzilla (from the godzilla franchise)?
King Ghidorah always kinda disgusted me as a kid, but I would marry him for the royal title and then never see him again.

Godzilla I would not marry, because I don't want to take care of his stupid son. So fuck. But I would like to be on the receiving end.

Gigan has so many sharp points I think I would get my dick chopped off, so I would have to kill him.

What country in the world do you want to travel to most?
Definitely Italy. Mainly because I studied and even taught so much Medieval and Renaissance history and art in school, I really wanna get out there and see it for myself. You can go there and see the roots of most of Western civilization.

If you had to erase one great childhood tv show/movie/video game franchise from existence, which would you choose? You will be the only person in the world that still knows it existed and can never talk about it again without anybody calling you crazy
Gonna have to think and get back to you on this one.

Whats your high school gpa
*ur

I think it was 3.4 or 3.5 or so. I don't remember honestly, but it was enough to qualify for Florida Bright Futures.

whats your middle school gpa
I think it was around the same, maybe a little lower.

(That's it for now)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that ghosts do, in fact, exist, and let’s say, for the sake of argument, that you are in a situation that allows you to copulate with one. Hypothetically speaking, would you—or would you not—fuck a ghost?

Hulavuta

haven't responded to one of these in a while, let's do it

What was your favorite post in the early days of Smogoff (anything in Pages 10-8)?
Hmm that's a tough one. This one sticks out to me a lot: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...has-a-fake-degree.3670296/page-2#post-8596559

Anything in this thread https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/charizard-circlejerk-thread.3670657/

And I like this one, I think it's so fitting that it's settled as the bottom thread of the whole forum.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/is-this-a-sucessor-to-firebot.3670250/

What is your favorite post in Smogoff now (anything in Pages 1 - 3)?
I think this OP is one of the best and most profound things I have ever read.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gamers-be-like.3675515/

Where does your username come from?
I usually like to keep this cryptic but since you asked: Back when I was a very little kid, my brothers and I used to play on our uncle's Nintendo 64, mostly Star Fox, but we also played Diddy Kong Racing. One of my favorite stages was Hot Top Volcano, and the BGM for that stage happened to have these strange vocals. I believe that they are some lyrics in Hindi, but back then we thought it sounded like "hulavuta". You can listen for yourself and draw your own conclusion. I'm a little fuzzy on the connections after that, but for some reason we decided that Hulavuta was the name of one of the dinosaurs that wander around on that stage. We were really into Legos as well, so we created the character of "Hulavuta" out of Legos. (We also misheard some other lines as "ya mama" before hulavuta but we decided he was a male, I guess) There were different incarnations over the years but the consistent thing was that he was a dinosaur who could transform into any other dinosaur he wanted (I know, I know, we were kids). The first Lego version of him actually could transform by moving some pieces, but unfortunately the details of how have gone the way of Greek Fire and are now lost to me.

Eventually in elementary school I started using the internet more and started joining some sites and I needed a username. My oldest brother who would often make accounts for me told me to use Hulavuta for it, so I did. And eventually I just started using it everywhere as I got used to it. There was a period of time in the mid-2010s on Smogon where I thought it was kind of childish and silly to use this nonsense word from my childhood when everyone else's name had real words, so in August 2014 I actually considered getting a name change to just "Hula" since that was a real word, but ultimately I decided against it. I think I'm pretty happy with the decision and people who know the story behind the name like it and have been pretty encouraging. And reading through the "where did you get your nick" thread I see that tons of people got their names from mispellings/mishearings, taking a real word and changing 2 letters, etc. so it's not that weird.

Are you going to tell me to read the original post if I ask an obvious question?
Yeah. But you didn't, so I won't.

What is your favorite part of the forums here? Least favorite?
These days, I'll have to say the off-topic forums since that's what I can frequent anymore. Always loved how this site has so many people who no longer play or contribute. That's how you know you've built a real community that people just want to be part of because they enjoy each other's company. Cong is unfortunately the dumping ground for all of the political talks but I have always loved the threads where people share what they have going on in their real lives, whether they be the various advice threads or the photo album. Reading through those always made me feel connected to something more.

As for least favorite...I guess I already alluded to the political threads but I also really dislike any threads that are just talking about what food you like/dislike, or differences between countries that are entirely insignificant. Main reason being that there really is no way to debate or argue a preference, you just like it or you don't but there's no reason behind it. So it's just people saying "I can't BELIEVE that people eat X, it's so gross!" and there's really nothing you can say to that except "I like it" or try to deflect onto something else. Really seems so nonsensical to me. When it comes to what one country calls something vs. what another calls it, that's equally as nonsensical. Languages evolve through culture, they're not just dictated by some arbiter who knows the best way to refer to everything. Things can be inconsistent but you can rarely (never) argue that one is more logical than another. Seems like literally the pettiest thing to feel superior over. Anyway the chicken sandwich vs chicken burger thing as you can tell is the combination of both of these so it really annoyed me.

What is your favorite legendary pokemon?
Between Zygarde and Mewtwo, I think. Jormungandr is one of my favorite mythological creatures, so it was really exciting to finally get a Pokemon based on it. And Mewtwo of course is just the fan favorite, I'm a big sucker for stories about artificially-created beings who need to find their purpose in life (Mewtwo, Frankenstein's Monster, David from Prometheus, BlackWarGreymon, even Sephiroth? lol)

What is your least favorite legendary pokemon?
Are we counting Mythicals as Legendaries? Maybe Magearna then. If only Legendaries, perhaps Cosmoem.

Glastrier or Spectrier?
I actually haven't really used much of either, but I like Spectrier's design a little more.

Galarian Articuno or Galarian Zapdos or Galarian Moltres?
They all look good, but man Moltres looks incredible.

Defensive or hard-hitting pokemon?
I've always tried to be a defensive player, if I can muster the patience for it. I find it rewarding.

What is your 8th grade GPA?
lol. Probably 3.5 or so.

My dear friend VulaHuta, I have some questions for you

The Battle Spot community in 2014 was something that I really cherished before I disappeared from this sphere of the internet for years. Do you have any fond memories of that time period?
edit: whoops forgot to answer this. I'll get back to you later, I have to do some research and digging.

What's the extent of your retirement? Are you done with pkmn altogether or do you still play any of the games or even watch any current BSS tournament matches?
I still play casually, I played Sword and got the expansions. I also played through Let's Go! Pikachu last October/November and it was actually a blast. I had written it off as a little baby game so I hadn't played it sooner, but actually it was probably the most fun I've had playing the main story since BW2, or maybe ORAS. It was the first time in a while that I could just sit down for hours and play through the game. XY, SM, and SwSh took me about 2 months each to beat. I am considering getting New Pokemon Snap and I'm REALLY looking forward to the potential DP Remakes.

I still watch tournament matches when I can catch them, particularly BSPL whenever that happens.

Favorite animated film and/or series?
To the shock of absolutely no one, Princess Mononoke is my favorite film. Mainly for nostalgia reasons as I saw it around a really happy time where I was finishing high school, finally making friends, and got a badge on Smogon. Anyway, I've only seen it twice, once on Christmas day 2013, and then again in August 2017 when I did a marathon of my top 10 favorite films. It's also the reason I really dislike Claire Danes as an actor; the voice cast for it in English is honestly superb...with the EXCEPT of Claire Danes as San who is so bad she very nearly tanks the entire thing. Thankfully it's just not the most chatty role.

Gotta go with Avatar and Legend of Korra of course for American series. Also a big fan of the DCAU though Bruce Timm is taking a huge dump on his own legacy. When it comes to anime, Baccano! is my favorite as I mentioned above, and of course Yu Yu Hakusho is very special to me (started watching it 2 months after Princess Mononoke, so most of the same reasoning applies). Trigun and Cowboy Bebop as well as Durarara!!...I'm not really that unique.

What are your favorite Pizza toppings or styles?
Gonna just feed two birds with one scone here

Pineapple on pizza: yay or nay?
Pineapple is actually unironically my favorite topping, and always has been. I have no idea where this meme of hating it came from. I guarantee that pineapple has been a standard topping on pizza since before any of us were born. I remember when anchovies were the main topping everyone made fun of, but nobody mentions that anymore. I guess they bullied all the anchovy lovers out of existence. Also read my above entry about threads I dislike; it is especially pointless. Anyway, I'm also a fan of ham, pepperoni, and sausage. All the standard stuff. Honestly there aren't many styles of pizza I won't eat, though I prefer meat on it. I like thin crust and also stuffed crust.

Favorite Mario Kart game?
Hmm, I've only played Wii and DS. Gonna have to go with Wii, though Waluigi Pinball on DS an all-time top stage.

when will you give me the equivalent of voice again on the battle stadium discord
lol baby sorry didn't know you cared. Honestly I'm not sure, you should ask the other staff members as it's not completely up to me.

do u like rby
Sure do, though I can't say I prefer it over other gens.

Favorite time you trolled me?
Hmm, gotta be when I convinced you my name was literally "Racist" which was an Arabic name pronounced like "Rasheest". Honestly I think that was the only time I intentionally trolled you, all the other times you just had trust issues and thought it was a ruse.

Thoughts on me? :toast:
You seem to me like a typical younger user who latches on to trends and tries hard to fit in, but you are a cool guy and fun. I enjoy talking to you about schoolwork and music.

Gotta go with the original monke here on the left.

Who are you?
I wanna answer this with a joke, but I'm honestly really not sure in which way you mean this. I guess I would say read the OP (I know it's long...) and get back to me with a more specific question if you still want.

That's all for now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)