Status
Not open for further replies.

Logo credit: LifeisDANK

The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Finals
Hosts: Hogg, Ark and Hikari
~Spreadsheet~

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL
and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
See here.

Standard Tournament Rules

---

US West (6) vs Brazil (4)

SM OU: craing ;_; vs Eternal Spirit
SM OU: z0mOG vs Luigi
SM OU: lax vs Tamahome
SM OU: blarghlfarghl vs KratosMana
ORAS OU: Meru vs Nintendi
BW OU: Oristeros vs Rewer
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Hyogafodex
ADV OU: undisputed vs elodin
GSC OU: Valentine vs Century Express
RBY OU: rozes vs HANTSUKI

Deadline is Sunday, July 21st, 11:59 PM EST.

Last edited:

Flares.

Banned deucer.
wow this is an unexpected finals. I myself a spectator cannot wait to watch these games, I do not care who wins but as long as both teams have great games and have fun, I am having fun. Gl to both teams brings a tear to my eyes see both these teams grow

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
RBY OU: rozes vs Caetano93

Tiebreak:

SM OU: lax vs Eternal Spirit
SM OU: z0mOG vs Tamahome
GSC OU: undisputed vs KratosMana

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor

VAI BARIIIIIL!!!!!!

Rooting for most of the brazilian team :P

Welcome to the FINAL (Penultimate if we're being real LOL) EDITION OF THE UNBIASED PREDICTIONS

The Cinderella story of LA has come to a close, and only 2 teams remain. West lost their best player to a rage-induced ban, though, and considering how top heavy the team is, this has to help Brazil's chances quite a bit. New Smogon Superstar lax seems to be doing everything for West, though. Can he stave off the Monkeys? Let's find out.

US West (4) vs. Brazil (4)

SM OU: craing ;_; vs Eternal Spirit | Gama has been killing me in the predictions lately. The spreadsheet warrior hasn't had nearly as much success as you would expect given his past endeavors. On the other side of the matchup is ben gay, one of the people who I never want to bold because of his tendency to either finesse a win with matchup and innovation or just get absolutely embarrassed. I feel kind of hesitant to bold Gama given his shortcomings this tournament, but at least he hasn't thrown a 100% win in a super high stakes bout.
SM OU: z0mOG vs Luigi | z0mog has turned his World Cup around after a disappointing Round 1 performance, and is proving himself to be a pretty capable player. His opponent this time around is recent STour winner Luigi, who finally hits the stage once more after what I thought was a pretty inexplicable benching for a crust player. Luigi is moving up in the world of Pokemon, but z0m should prove to be a bit too much for him to handle right now.
SM OU: lax vs Tamahome | The highlight of the round. Lax is solidfying his spot as a top player on Smogon, amassing a record 8 wins in World Cup so far, along with a glimmering 6-1 tiebreak record. The LAX BANDWAGON is BARRELLING DOWN THE TRACKS RIGHT NOW! Lax faces a tough test this time around, though. Tamahome us an excellent player and has been a mainstay amongst the Smogon elite for years. This isn't ADV, though. While Tama is still a very good SM player, Lax might just be on another level right now. After taking down goat fist in a tiebreak, I think he's earned the bold against almost anyone. This is no exception.
SM OU: blarghlfarghl vs KratosMana |
blargh somehow manages to continue defying expectations and pick up wins. This week, though, he faces a real challenge. Anti is a very good player, and has played pretty well in the tournament so far. I still don't really have much confidence in blargh's playing abilities, and would be shocked if he outplayed anti. He could easily cheese into a matchup win, but I'll trust anti to not let that happen. With neutral matchup, this should be a pretty one-sided affair.
ORAS OU: Meru vs Nintendi | LOL bro West ORAS is literally NOT getting a win this tour LOOOL HELLO MERU??? 2019??? ORAS LOL oh my god. Nintendi's one of the best ORAS players on the site and seems to be on top of his game. Considering my lack of confidence in Meru and the shoddy state of West ORAS as a whole, I expect this to be a demolition.
BW OU: Oristeros vs Rewer |

Screenshot_20190712-193127.jpg

Well, I am true to my word. LOL jesus fuck this could have literally been a matchup in 2012. TWO INSANE CRUST PLAYERS I HAVE NO FAITH IN BRO LIKE HELLO??? Oristeros did put on a solid showing against Conflict, but even blind squirrels occasionally find acorns. There's no way in hell I'm predicting this nonsense LOL
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Hyogafodex | Speaking of crust...Phil has really turned back the clock this tour. It definitely helps that he's in DPP. Luck has definitely been on his side lately, but he's played pretty well throughout the tour. He's one of the best DPPers of all time, and he's in solid form right now. Meanwhile, Hyoga is a meme and I think he's dogshit. Big (for DPP standards) edge to Phil.
ADV OU: undisputed vs elodin | This should be a good one. elodin's definitely no slouch and has proven to be a respectable ADVer. Kevin S is far more experienced in this tier, though, and I expect that he and his UUBL armada come through yet again.
GSC OU: Valentine vs Century Express | Well, this is where Lavos's ban really hurts West. What should have been a solid edge for them turns into a big weakness. I'm still not really convinced that CE is a solid player, but he's been good enough. Val has next to no experience in this tier, besides his 1 game in SPL. Barring some spooky encounter, I expect CE to take this one handily.
RBY OU: rozes vs Caetano93 | rozes has fallen off after his win vs. Troller. Meanwhile, I'm still unsure if the other guy is a meme or not. No contest in the variance madhouse.

Well...LOL I didn't predict 2 games and it ended at 4-4. I promise I didn't do this on purpose vros. Anyway, tiebreaking is in West's DNA, especially with the plot armor they inherited from Rast. So...let's get to it.

With Lavos's ban, this is honestly a pretty difficult tiebreak for me to predict. West picks first. The way I see it, their choices are DPP, BW, and SM. Setting aside the fact that it's DPP, picking that tier against arguably the best DPPer of the modern era seems like a stupid idea, regardless of how hot Phil has been. This leaves with BW and SM, either of which is probably fine. I guess they could talk themselves into DPP too lol.

On Brazil's side, they could either pick GSC with Anti again or just farm West ORAS with Nintendi, providing he actually WANTS to play. ben gay's always a threat to get matchup too, so maybe GSC is more likely. However, if West picked BW, I'm assuming Brazil would want Anti there, leaving Tamahome in SM and making it kind of impossible for them to pick GSC unless they want Gama to play again. Given his performances this tour, I don't think they really want him to tiebreak, but if Nintendi refuses to play again, they might not have a choice. As you can see, there's way too many moving parts to predict this right now, so I'll just do it if it happens. I favor Lax over everyone on Brazil, though, and I think he'll help West clutch the blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)