Those little things we don't talk about...

The moment of truth when you step foot into a public men's restroom. Shit is like WW3. The dull lights, the god awful smell, the incoherent writing on the walls. When you go into the stall and find piss literally everywhere on the seat, ground, and you hope to god they werent cynical enough to piss all over the toilet paper (your only form of defense.) Not to mention when your pissing at the urinal and there is a guy with his dong out not more then half a foot away from yours. Very discomforting to say the least.

When I am sitting in a car sometimes I have a powerful urge to open the door, unbuckle, and jump out because that would probably kick ass for about ten seconds.

When I am alone I sometimes feel as if I will be alone forever.

When I am driving I often feel as if I am the captain of the Millennium Falcon and accelerate to like 90 in a 25 mph zone for a few seconds pretending it's the star drive

Whenever I read something I wrote outloud I think it is poor, without exception.

Whenever black people are mentioned in a conversation sometimes I think "oh right those exist"

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
In total seriousness, has anyone else had those weird experiences right before you fall asleep where you know you're awake (I've even had conscious conversations with my wife) but... it feels like... you're a million miles from everything and that your body is as large as the universe or as tiny as an atom...?

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
In total seriousness, has anyone else had those weird experiences right before you fall asleep where you know you're awake (I've even had conscious conversations with my wife) but... it feels like... you're a million miles from everything and that your body is as large as the universe or as tiny as an atom...?
IM NOT EVEN JOKING THIS HAPPENS TO ME AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH

thank god, this means that im probably not insane

probably

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Doesn't it feel like you're insane though? Like, you don't just walk up to people and say like "Hey, so I had this out of body experience last night where I became at once one with the universe and nothing at all..."

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
those unmentionables, eh?

while I only have one phobia (claustrophobia) there are a bunch of teeny tiny things that irk me to the point of acting out, and it's like a tiny knot in my stomach that rolls up and down my spine if I don't do something about it. for instance, if I'm riding in a car and I'm playing a gameboy or doing something on my phone, I can't have my window open. I'm paranoid that the car is going to jerk and the item will fly out of my hands, and out the car window, or for whatever reason I may just get the urge to fling something out of the window, JUST because I can. would I ever? hopefully not, but all rationality goes out the window (pun unintended oops) under a lot of specific circumstances.

there is a golf course near my mother's house, and a road runs alongside most of it. the hills are very steep, and sometimes when I drive past, I get the insatiable urge to veer to the right and make my vehicle tumble down the hill, just to see if I could a)survive (probably) and b) land on my wheels so I can just drive away, like nothing happened. i take for granted a lot how easily cars can get fucked up though, so as much as i would love to do this, i wouldn't want to pay for the repercussions to myself or my car!

when i was younger, i used to worry about falling asleep. a lot. i would stare at the ceiling and wonder how, HOW on earth was i going to fall asleep tonight, and make it to the morning? i'd try my best to catch the moment when i slipped into the night-long coma, only to find that the sun was beating on my eyes and it was morning. i was befuddled and annoyed that i didn't catch myself falling asleep, but also relieved that i woke up to morning and made it through another night. this was before i started having vivid dreams (most of you would consider them nightmares) up to this day. i seldom worry about falling asleep now, but there are some nights where i lie in bed and stare at the ceiling once more, thinking and thinking about what metaphorical switch is flicked off behind my eyes that allows me to fall into slumber.

i talk to myself far too often, but i really can't help it. i think it's purely an aural stimulation thing, as i detest silence and get very uncomfortable hearing the white noise of a still world. if ever i'm looking at my reflection, i'm compelled to speak a few words to myself, even if they're just thoughts in my head from a previous train, and bear no relevance to the present moment. people everywhere are always talking to themselves, you just can't hear anyone in their head. i quite like my voice as well, so i don't mind hearing it all the time. probably the biggest reason why i dream of being a musician and vocalist, as the voice is one of the most powerful means of expression with no strings attached! just them vocal chords.

sometimes i'm listening to music on my ipod in public and start to hum the melody, or whistle along, and i forget that not everyone else can hear what i'm hearing and join in, and it looks like i'm having little, lyrical tourettes fits. oh well!

it's hard thinking about things you don't ever talk about-continually sifting through my brain for more contribution to this lovely thread~

George Carlin did a bit about this: those little things in life that happen to all of us that we never talk about. I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I wanted to share my short, but growing, list:

- When you're reading something and all of a sudden you can't understand what you're reading anymore. You know what I mean? Where all the letters stop looking like letters and start looking like hieroglyphics, and although you can still understand what it says you can't actually "read" it

- similarly, have you ever had one of those moments when other people's faces get all super fucked up? It's as if you're looking into the face of Sloth from The Goonies. "HOLY SHIT THEIR NOSE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOVE THEIR EYES". Please god tell me this shit happens to other people

- this one, I know we all share. How about those times when you wipe your ass about 19 times after a shit, but about 15 minutes later it STILL feels unclean? And you can't do anything about it so you have to walk around for the next few hours with that poopybutt feeling?

- Conversely, how about those hero shits? You know, those shits that come out completely cleanly and don't give you any problems at all, and you know you don't even have to wipe to see the clean TP but you do it anyway because you can't take that risk

- how about that terrifying moment when you KNOW you did something, but for some reason you feel the need to check on it again? And then when you get outside, you start to worry again even though you JUST fucking checked on it? I do this when I'm going to someplace and I'm carrying tickets in my pocket. I have this irrational fear that the tickets will somehow fall out of my pocket, no matter how physically impossible that is, so I will constantly stick my hand in the pocket to check

will post more as my weird life continues
I'm so glad these are normal things! I do nearly all of them and I'm like I wonder if I'm the only one.

Here is one idk if anyone posted.
When you are starring into space and when you begin to focus you realize you are looking at someone's butt or any other interesting body part. It's not on purpose and you're aren't even interested.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Here's some more:

When you read the last book of a series and you spend the whole night lying in bed trying to dream up a better end/epilogue of what happens to the characters because the real end sucked (helloooooo Eragon)

Similarly when you read the not-last book in a series and the entire night is spent thinking of what happens in the next book - but not vague things I mean you think of specific Lines and stuff and actually visualize the characters doing specific things in the next book (did this all last night and probably all tonight with The Hunger Games as I cannot find Catching Fire anywhere)

When you plan out conversations with people hours ahead of time anticipating all possible responses and then either they throw you a wrench you didn't expect or the convo doesn't happen period and all that planning was completely worthless.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't it feel like you're insane though? Like, you don't just walk up to people and say like "Hey, so I had this out of body experience last night where I became at once one with the universe and nothing at all..."
if i had to describe it in depth.... i feel like im in a dream-like state where im not sure whether im awake or asleep. it feels like im huge one moment, but then the next moment i feel really tiny. then i feel like i dont exist. then shortly after i feel like im one with everything. this cycle repeats for about five minutes, and then it's done. it's soo fucking weird but it actually kinda makes me feel like god is directly communicating with me, which is pretty cool!

im being 100% serious too lol, i wonder if me and you are the only ones who experience this....?

I sometimes have my eyes get messed up and they just like zoom in to stuff. Or sometimes stuff just feels really close to you.or the opposite where it seems very far away.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Every once in a while I get the urge to post something I think is ludicrously funny, and everyone will think I'm a comedy genius. I have tons of different scenarios planned out in my head about how to respond to the praise that will certainly be showered upon me. Then I reread my post and realize that it wasn't funny anymore and just embarrassedly delete it all and move on.

^^^

Same here.
I sometime watch a movie scene and try to think of a time where I can say that witty line. But it rarely comes out well and only works for this Mexican kid in my french class :/

that lucid moment when you 'wake up' but you're still asleep but you're conscious and you feel like you have the answers to everything and nothing

related to the above when you're about to go to sleep and your room is completely silent (can also be taking a shower) so you just have your thoughts and you can review what happened over the day and just think about what you did since who really thinks about what they're doing while they're doing it?

what the other users said about watching some scary shit and then imagining that scary shit is in/under your bed and holy fuck it's going to eat you _right_now_

having an amazing comeback to an argument several hours later while in the shower

Stratos

Banned deucer.
HD said:
related to the above when you're about to go to sleep and your room is completely silent (can also be taking a shower) so you just have your thoughts and you can review what happened over the day and just think about what you did since who really thinks about what they're doing while they're doing it?

having an amazing comeback to an argument several hours later while in the shower
I do these two all the time.

When you plan out conversations with people hours ahead of time anticipating all possible responses and then either they throw you a wrench you didn't expect or the convo doesn't happen period and all that planning was completely worthless.
I swear, I do this at LEAST once a week. Frigging annoying.

And the moment you are laying on the bed, on your side. Some really uncomfortable train of thought starts, but you are too lazy to change position, so now you are thinking uncomfortable stuff. Then you finally switch position, and promptly forgot that you even thought uncomfortable stuff.

Of course, walking on street with music on. Some really catchy/awesome/adrenaline pumping stuff comes out, and you feel like a rockstar, but can't rock out on the street because other people are like fuck that shit so you just gotta walk all awkward while wanting to rock out.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
those unmentionables, eh?

while I only have one phobia (claustrophobia) there are a bunch of teeny tiny things that irk me to the point of acting out, and it's like a tiny knot in my stomach that rolls up and down my spine if I don't do something about it. for instance, if I'm riding in a car and I'm playing a gameboy or doing something on my phone, I can't have my window open. I'm paranoid that the car is going to jerk and the item will fly out of my hands, and out the car window, or for whatever reason I may just get the urge to fling something out of the window, JUST because I can. would I ever? hopefully not, but all rationality goes out the window (pun unintended oops) under a lot of specific circumstances.

there is a golf course near my mother's house, and a road runs alongside most of it. the hills are very steep, and sometimes when I drive past, I get the insatiable urge to veer to the right and make my vehicle tumble down the hill, just to see if I could a)survive (probably) and b) land on my wheels so I can just drive away, like nothing happened. i take for granted a lot how easily cars can get fucked up though, so as much as i would love to do this, i wouldn't want to pay for the repercussions to myself or my car!

when i was younger, i used to worry about falling asleep. a lot. i would stare at the ceiling and wonder how, HOW on earth was i going to fall asleep tonight, and make it to the morning? i'd try my best to catch the moment when i slipped into the night-long coma, only to find that the sun was beating on my eyes and it was morning. i was befuddled and annoyed that i didn't catch myself falling asleep, but also relieved that i woke up to morning and made it through another night. this was before i started having vivid dreams (most of you would consider them nightmares) up to this day. i seldom worry about falling asleep now, but there are some nights where i lie in bed and stare at the ceiling once more, thinking and thinking about what metaphorical switch is flicked off behind my eyes that allows me to fall into slumber.

i talk to myself far too often, but i really can't help it. i think it's purely an aural stimulation thing, as i detest silence and get very uncomfortable hearing the white noise of a still world. if ever i'm looking at my reflection, i'm compelled to speak a few words to myself, even if they're just thoughts in my head from a previous train, and bear no relevance to the present moment. people everywhere are always talking to themselves, you just can't hear anyone in their head. i quite like my voice as well, so i don't mind hearing it all the time. probably the biggest reason why i dream of being a musician and vocalist, as the voice is one of the most powerful means of expression with no strings attached! just them vocal chords.

sometimes i'm listening to music on my ipod in public and start to hum the melody, or whistle along, and i forget that not everyone else can hear what i'm hearing and join in, and it looks like i'm having little, lyrical tourettes fits. oh well!

it's hard thinking about things you don't ever talk about-continually sifting through my brain for more contribution to this lovely thread~
Get out of my mind!!!

Similarly when you read the not-last book in a series and the entire night is spent thinking of what happens in the next book - but not vague things I mean you think of specific Lines and stuff and actually visualize the characters doing specific things in the next book (did this all last night and probably all tonight with The Hunger Games as I cannot find Catching Fire anywhere)
i used to have this problem but NOT ANYMORE. now i have this thing where i have to read a book all in one sitting and if it has a sequel i need to read it right away.

i borrowed the first book in the Cherub series from someone and it ended up being like 12 books long so i read all of them in about three days. not a good idea, you don't eat/sleep a lot.

anyways more stuff.

it happens sometimes were one of my degus will get out and go on my bed in the night (they're allowed, it's fine) and then it puts it's little degu hands on my face and i wake up and don't want to move in case it's a monster or something or a spider, even when i know it is a degu.

my room is on the bottom floor while my sister's and parent's are on the top floor, and sometimes at night i will be like "what if a murderer breaks into my house and goes up the stairs to kill my family, do i leave or stay or what and what if my dogs start barking, will my family jump out their windows or what" and somehow i never consider just calling 911 (will the murderer hear me?).

or what if a car crashes into my room at night.

what if someone breaks into my house while i'm in the shower.

i have a lot of TMI ones but i'm also a girl so i don't know if anyone wants to hear about that stuff.

When you're eating and you're like "oh, I still have a bit of meat/chocolate/whatever left", and you save it for last, and you get to the end of the meal and realise you ate it with everything else accidentally. And then you feel really unfulfilled.

Also when you're forced to stop listening to a song halfway through, or when you get bored and change a song after 30 seconds. That annoys me.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
when you walk down the sidewalk and encounter someone who seems to me an exact mirror of everything you do. you're clearly signaling that you have chosen to walk to the right, but for some reason they move in the same direction. the confrontation finally begins and you take your knife out and he takes out his and a whole knife fight begins, it's pretty bad

also sidewalk cracks

o_o

-Whenever I think of something I have done in the past that is really embarrassing or stupid, I get this odd "I can't believe I did that" feeling. It's hard to describe but it's like I get this sinking feeling inside and I just want to make a huge headdesk because of how stupid it was. Pretty strange..

When I'm watching a movie and I start to wonder, "At what part of the screen am I supposed to be looking?". Then I get back into the movie and start looking at the right part again, whatever that is.

Edit:
The moment of truth when you step foot into a public men's restroom. Shit is like WW3. The dull lights, the god awful smell, the incoherent writing on the walls. When you go into the stall and find piss literally everywhere on the seat, ground, and you hope to god they werent cynical enough to piss all over the toilet paper (your only form of defense.) Not to mention when your pissing at the urinal and there is a guy with his dong out not more then half a foot away from yours. Very discomforting to say the least.
Well written & accurately summarized.

Along the lines of the two spelling posts, whenever you forget to spell the most basic words that are usually second nature to you. "Whose" gets me once every year.

when you pull your tongue muscle. I have literally done this like 4 times and it is fucking weird, one moment I'm talking, next I'm holding my mouth going "oww what the fuck just happened"

EDIT:
Ever become aware of your own breathing and start breathing manually until you can think of something else?
My god this happens to me so often

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)