Those little things we don't talk about...

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
my room is on the bottom floor while my sister's and parent's are on the top floor, and sometimes at night i will be like "what if a murderer breaks into my house and goes up the stairs to kill my family, do i leave or stay or what and what if my dogs start barking, will my family jump out their windows or what" and somehow i never consider just calling 911 (will the murderer hear me?).

or what if a car crashes into my room at night.

what if someone breaks into my house while i'm in the shower.

i have a lot of TMI ones but i'm also a girl so i don't know if anyone wants to hear about that stuff.
oh my god this. i am CONSTANTLY inventing methods and plans to escape certain peril, or just wondering how i would react to insanely high-tension or dangerous situations. i've fantasized a lot about defending myself in an alley way should an attacker come at me from behind - everyone in the movies fucks up just grappling for the attacker's arms/hands - gouge out their mother fucking eyes. sometimes i worry that whilst walking down the street i am going to get randomly stabbed. i just sickly tickle myself with the thought. i keep myself grounded knowing that people die every day from crazy accidents, so i just wonder and imagine becoming another far-out statistic.

when you try on something awesome but it doesn't exactly fit, and they don't have your true size - wondering who the lucky em effer is that is going to walk in and the clothing will fit them perfectly. damn.

ooooh ritter cat i have done that before as well, it's almost akin to getting a cramp in your foot underwater if you curl it the wrong way - it's like you can't stop the muscle from coiling and uuuugh it's such an acute, painful sensation

people watching is one of the most fun and interesting past times imo. it's trippy thinking that the zillions of people around you at one time are all living their own separate lives, their own problems and ideas running amuck in their minds, and what tasks they may have to do for the day. consider everything you experience daily with stress, pleasure, and everything else - the scenario is only multiplied exponentially by everyone around you. i think about people a looooot and lose myself considering their singular lives and actions - but doing so for the sake of benefit (be it yours or theirs) is hopeless. a dose every now and then keeps me sane, and less of a jerk though!

Ever become aware of your own breathing and start breathing manually until you can think of something else?
Reading that just got me forgetting how to breathe without thinking about it. :(

Anyone ever fall asleep to the point where they can't move but still know whats going on around them? Makes me feel like i'm paralyzed, can open my eyes just enough to make out what is going on in the real world, but can't do anything else.

ooooh ritter cat i have done that before as well, it's almost akin to getting a cramp in your foot underwater if you curl it the wrong way - it's like you can't stop the muscle from coiling and uuuugh it's such an acute, painful sensation
haha yes just like that and so you stand here with your mouth slightly open and you tongue limp in your mouth and people are just looking at you like wtf? And it only happens at school or sporting events as well for me

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
where you would debate the sacrifice of another life in exchange for a variety of different things: your own life; lives of people close to you; prized possessions

Right when you're waking up, when you have to break free of your dream-like state, but that state was so powerful and vivid that you can't tell where a dream ended and reality began. Like, just yesterday I dreamt of shaving my beard and sideburns, and when I woke up, I thought they were gone. I thought my dream was reality, and kinda had to learn that it wasn't. I can't tell you how many times I've dreamt that I sent a text message, and woken up to check my phone for a response.

Right when you're waking up, when you have to break free of your dream-like state, but that state was so powerful and vivid that you can't tell where a dream ended and reality began. Like, just yesterday I dreamt of shaving my beard and sideburns, and when I woke up, I thought they were gone. I thought my dream was reality, and kinda had to learn that it wasn't. I can't tell you how many times I've dreamt that I sent a text message, and woken up to check my phone for a response.
Have you ever had a fight with someone, and dreamt that everything was okay between you two, and all was forgiven? And then tried talking to that person as if it was?

Fucking awkward man.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
- how about that terrifying moment when you KNOW you did something, but for some reason you feel the need to check on it again? And then when you get outside, you start to worry again even though you JUST fucking checked on it? I do this when I'm going to someplace and I'm carrying tickets in my pocket. I have this irrational fear that the tickets will somehow fall out of my pocket, no matter how physically impossible that is, so I will constantly stick my hand in the pocket to check
I know this too well. Used to be, I couldn't leave the house without checking to see if the door was locked several times. Even when I'm down the block, I'd be rocking my music and suddenly forget whether or not I locked the door, so I'd have to run all the way back just to check. Massive waste of time; these days, what I do instead is check the side of my index finger for an imprint in the shape of a key after I've left somewhere. Once I have that confirmation signal, I'm good to go and stop worrying about it.

@blarajan: Two days ago, I dreamt that I made up with a dude who used to be my best friend. We were insanely close, but my life is extremely abnormal, so it made his life harder being friends with me. I haven't seen him in a year, but for that first minute or two of waking up, I thought all was well in the world because I made up with my "brother." You can imagine how displeased I was to find out it was a dream...

Not the same, I know, but I kinda know where you're coming from.

Have you ever had a fight with someone, and dreamt that everything was okay between you two, and all was forgiven? And then tried talking to that person as if it was?

Fucking awkward man.
Heh, I can't say I've ever done this specifically, but I have on a few occasions brought up something to a friend that happened in a dream (me thinking it really happened) and then just played it off like it must have been with someone else when they have no fucking idea what I'm talking about. :/

There are actually a few memories I have that I wonder about. I have some that seem real in my mind but I wonder about due to the absurdity of the situations. Knowing that I have confused dreams with reality before, I have to wonder.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread but I'm really too tired to think of anything else. >:[ Fun reading, though.

edit: actually I thought of something! Some days I imagine every car that passes me plans on shooting me in a drive-by and I flinch whenever one passes me. It is strange because it only happens sometimes (but when it does it happens all day with literally every car) and there doesn't seem to be anything specific that triggers the fear. I've never even been exposed to gun violence before. Not something I'd ever really tell most people in real life, because they would probably make more out of it than it really is, thinking I must have been traumatized or some shit. There's no apparent reason at all for it. I guess that's only somewhat relevant because I definitely don't think that happens to most people but eh.

When you plan out conversations with people hours ahead of time anticipating all possible responses and then either they throw you a wrench you didn't expect or the convo doesn't happen period and all that planning was completely worthless.
Happens so much. Usually the conversation never ends up being nearly as tense or dramatic as I imagine, if it happens at all. I usually do it when I'm really angry or something.

I usually have something really funny to say about a topic currently being discussed right when it has changed and I can't say it without looking like a fool. Incidentally, I usually try and remember what it was so next time the same topic pops up, I have a witty comment under the wings.

When you are taking a really long piss (so long you have been timing yourself and forget how long it has actually been) and all of sudden you are either needed somewhere in the house, your phone rings, someone walks into the bathroom or the door bell rings and you just can't stop the flow, it's still going at the worst possible time. This usually happens in the morning, after around 8 hours of not disposing any bodily fluids or excrement.

You are dreaming an ordinary dream; something totally out of the ordinary. Then there is a slight problem or occurrence in hwich you instantly realize that it is in fact a dream, and you can subconsciously "control" the dream, doing whatever you please; fly in the air, make a beautiful woman appear naked before you. However the dream sort of drifts off and you "lose control" of the dream, and it takes you somewhere you didn't want it to go, like marrying the woman that you made appear before you, up until the point you forget that it was a dream. You then wake up, contemplating on the dream and after much thought and realization discover that in fact you did not have control over the dream as it was a mere subconscious process and in fact it was an ordinary dream; something out of the ordinary.

You suddenly think of a certain person or group of people that you know whom you have not seen or communicated with for a while. Then almost instantly after your thought has been processed, the phone rings/the door bell rings/you receive an email and it is the same person or group of people you just thought of.

I, too, am guilty of compulsively checking things out like if I have my keys in my pocket. It has saved me a few times though from forgetting them at a friend's house. Also checking the time. I do it so often that I has become automatic, to the point I sometimes have to do it 3 or 4 times because I didn't pay attention to the time at all. It has also caused people to get angry because checking the time while they talk gives the impression you want to leave. Furthermore, similarly to Rusty, open windows when I am in a vehicle and I am holding something make me anxious.

I think those are originated from when I was a kid, I had a signed check on my pocket and somehow lost it. Thankfully, I told my mother and she cancelled it before any harm was done. Still, the sensation pockets are not safe has never really left me.
When I go out without my backpack I feel very anxious, almost naked. I have to have at least a plastic bag with a book.
When you are in the shower and remember all important things you have to do, create incredible movie scripts, imagine awesome song lyrics and melody and forget everything the moment you touch the towel.

This one many people do: when playing a racing game or watching an actual race you tilt your body on curves or dodges and move the controller left and right. I did the same when playing Arkanoid. (As a side note, you if played Arkanoid you deserve every pube you have got.)

When you dream your mother and cat didn't die, then you wake up and are like "oh :(".

The running guy beside whatever vehicle you are in. Sometimes he is a Parkour god, sometimes he bumps into everything, sometimes he is fucking Juggernaut. Mine was young-adult Johnny Quest wearing sports clothes riding a bike and he was a clumsy incompetent.
I reread everything I write a googolplex times because I hate making a spelling or grammar mistake. And do it again after I have submitted/posted/sent it. And sometimes only then I find an error and it makes me furious. In particular, when it is a forum post, I will correct it and when I manage a ninja edit it feels the best. (ninja edit: it has just happened)

When being around kids makes you nervous because of the dread cops will pop up at any time and arrest you for pedophilia. Similarly, fear to look at young men/women because you are not sure whether they are over 13.

like how about when you're having a nocturnal emission (wet dream for all you noobteens) and you always wake up right before the explosion, but you don't want to do it because you don't want the mess so you fight it BUT THERE IS NO FIGHTING IT BITCH THAT IS HAPPENING and then you lay there all pissed off even though you just experienced a moment of pure ecstasy
except for me, I'm 20 fucking 8 years old now and I don't give a shit, so when I wake up and I'm milliseconds away from crisis I just go for broke and let it happen with reckless abandon, then go back to sleep because that's how a baller grown-ass man does it
Are you kidding me? This is one of the things I hate the most. It is specially nasty when you don't even remember the dream and are left to wonder if you are subconciously gay or a necrophile.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you don't know what you were dreaming about and think it might have been big sweaty men, it was probably big sweaty men.

Something significant happens, often in a negative way, and my first thought is "Do I have any songs about this on my Ipod?"

The urge to open the car door while the car is in motion.

Rage induced by a game initiating a completely random act of anger. Not something like slamming my keyboard, but biting through the side of a half-full plastic bottle of water that's near you.

When I get really tired I start to behave the way I would if I were drunk.

Sometimes I'll do something under the assumption that I'm home alone, then realise that my parents were actually home and feel really awkward.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
whenever I leave any sort of market/store without purchasing anything I always panic in case they think I am stealing something.

And then even though I know I am innocent I panic if they search my stuff and find that something I didn't even pick up or pay for appeared in my bag somehow.

As for the stuff in pockets;
Over the years I have developed an insane neurosis about stuff in my pockets. I will physically have a panic attack if the contents of my pockets are not balanced in weight and volume for too long.
Also having that weight in my trousers for so long has made me grown used to them. If I feel even a slight variation in my trouser weight I will start rummaging my pockets for things. This is an advantage of having a pocket-balance neurosis - I can detect if something is missing because then my pockets are not balanced in weight.

This one time I was paying for something, and halfway through I thought "fuck did someone steal my wallet oh fuck" and then I realized I was holding it.

When you're lying in bed, you can't get to sleep, so you look at the clock, and instead of trying to go to sleep you calculate exactly how much sleep you would get if you fell asleep then and there and woke up at X o'clock.

When you are in a crowded area that you do not belong in, you spend so much time awkwardly thinking "do I try to fit in or do I do my own thing and be different" and all the while you are thinking about that you are actually just standing there awkwardly.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ever become aware of your own breathing and start breathing manually until you can think of something else?
This happens to me all the time. Same thing with hand-eye coordination sports like tennis and pingpong where you suddenly realise that you have to watch the ball and serving instantly becomes a lot harder until you forget about it.

Practicing how I'll order my food while I'm waiting in line.

Agreeing to something that I haven't actually seen/watched etc. and then getting really paranoid I'll get caught out and I don't even know why I lied and pretended I knew about it in the first place and then I have to quickly try and think of a way to change the topic of conversation.

I also kind of trip myself out a bit sometimes, I think what it would be like to be me and then I suddenly realise I am me.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
omg. The OP described shit that I couldn't express in any other way...

Especially the one about reading. That happens to me everytime I try to actually study or read a book. And then I just re-read it until it can finally fit in my brain. <.<

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Fishy's first two reminded me of some others of mine...

- In certain situations, I will think "what would happen if I just told this person off, right to their face?" I distinctly remember the first time this happened to me: I was sitting on the couch at my parents house, probably about 10 or 11 years old, and my aunt was kneeling in front of me talking to me about my birthday or something, and I just wondered: what would happen if I just said "YOU HAVE SMALL BOOBS" right to her face? This happens to me at the most inopportune times, and I have to force myself to get rid of my thoughts before they consume my conscious brain

- the other one is when I'm driving, I often think of what would happen if I just swung my car into oncoming traffic. I think about how easy it would be, and just like Fishy I wonder if I'd survive. Depending on the speed, I think I could

When you are starring into space and when you begin to focus you realize you are looking at someone's butt or any other interesting body part. It's not on purpose and you're aren't even interested.
hahaha this happens to me WAY too often, and I somehow always ends up with someone's crotch RIGHT in my vision

having an amazing comeback to an argument several hours later while in the shower
l'esprit de l'escalier

i have a lot of TMI ones but i'm also a girl so i don't know if anyone wants to hear about that stuff.
in case the OP wasn't a sign, that's kinda the point of this thread

You are dreaming an ordinary dream; something totally out of the ordinary. Then there is a slight problem or occurrence in hwich you instantly realize that it is in fact a dream, and you can subconsciously "control" the dream, doing whatever you please; fly in the air, make a beautiful woman appear naked before you. However the dream sort of drifts off and you "lose control" of the dream, and it takes you somewhere you didn't want it to go, like marrying the woman that you made appear before you, up until the point you forget that it was a dream. You then wake up, contemplating on the dream and after much thought and realization discover that in fact you did not have control over the dream as it was a mere subconscious process and in fact it was an ordinary dream; something out of the ordinary.
lucid dreaming, I've done it twice in my life

Every once in a while, when I'm chewing food, one of my pairs of canines will scratch against each other in the wrong way, and it feels like nails on a chalkboard, except that it's my teeth against each other. Its the most terrible feeling - you know how bad nails on a chalkboard is, but this thing is happening inside my mouth, with body parts that I can feel. So then I'm frightened to eat anything until the thing wears away, and afterward, because that's the normal motion I use.

It's really rare, maybe happens once or twice a year, but with regularity so that it's easily remembered. And the thing is, sometimes I'll try to do it on purpose, but I can't figure out how. I have a tiny notch on my top left tooth, and I almost think that causes it, except it happens to the right side as well sometimes. So I live in constant fear (exaggeration) that this will happen, and I can't do anything about it, nor have I heard anyone else say that it has ever happened to them.

dm said:
- In certain situations, I will think "what would happen if I just told this person off, right to their face?" I distinctly remember the first time this happened to me: I was sitting on the couch at my parents house, probably about 10 or 11 years old, and my aunt was kneeling in front of me talking to me about my birthday or something, and I just wondered: what would happen if I just said "YOU HAVE SMALL BOOBS" right to her face? This happens to me at the most inopportune times, and I have to force myself to get rid of my thoughts before they consume my conscious brain
yeah man, this happens to me when someone is just babbling about shit I don't care about, and I'm thinking "fuck you man shut up I'm just gonna make out with you, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW" and then it's extra-hard to concentrate on whatever the hell they're prattling on about.

On the subject of the "pulled tongue", how about whenever you are talking to someone or just doing something random, and you turn your head, and pinch a nerve in your neck? This happens to me every once in a while, and hurts a lot. Sometimes I don't even turn my head fast and it still happens. It's pretty awkward when you're talking with someone and then you randomly cry out in pain and clutch at your neck.
yeah, this is a lot like the first thing I said, in that it sucks hard when it happens, but it happens infrequently enough that you never see it coming - then when it happens, you're scared to death of turning your head because who knows when that'll happen again

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
On the subject of the "pulled tongue", how about whenever you are talking to someone or just doing something random, and you turn your head, and pinch a nerve in your neck? This happens to me every once in a while, and hurts a lot. Sometimes I don't even turn my head fast and it still happens. It's pretty awkward when you're talking with someone and then you randomly cry out in pain and clutch at your neck.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
does anybody else remember stupid crap they did years ago and have this fear that everyone else remembers it too and thinks you're retarded? Not big stuff, just the stupid little things everyone does and nobody but themselves remembers.

EDIT @ hawkstar + CTI: all the time

similar to what DM said, I'm always nervous i'm gonna screw up and mention a pokemon reference at Boy Scouts, or curse at church, or use the Scout Sign when i want people to shut up in school (i'm the SPL.) I never do but it's always THAT CLOSE and i'm like "whew really dodged a bullet"

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
oh my god this. i am CONSTANTLY inventing methods and plans to escape certain peril, or just wondering how i would react to insanely high-tension or dangerous situations. i've fantasized a lot about defending myself in an alley way should an attacker come at me from behind - everyone in the movies fucks up just grappling for the attacker's arms/hands - gouge out their mother fucking eyes. sometimes i worry that whilst walking down the street i am going to get randomly stabbed. i just sickly tickle myself with the thought. i keep myself grounded knowing that people die every day from crazy accidents, so i just wonder and imagine becoming another far-out statistic.
I do this ALL THE TIME. I don't know if it's paranoia or what but it's gotten to the point where if I'm walking out to my car and I see another person I come up with a plan to deal with them accordingly if they decide to confront me.

Other people have said it, but that moment where you're driving along and have the thought "What if I just swerved my car into that tree there?" The French actually have a term for it that I cannot recall at the moment, I think it's roughly translated as "the call of the abyss". There is the term "intrusive thoughts" but this particular one is more specific.

This one is pretty much male only, but I get self conscious if I'm in another person's house and have to take a piss. I make sure to aim my stream at the side of the bowl and avoid hitting the water, in order to reduce the amount of noise as much as possible.

When I drive my car and I have friends with me, I make sure that the music is at a somewhat low volume so that we can have a conversation with each other without shouting. When I'm in some of my friends' cars, however, they just blast the music as loud as they can.

Related to the above, hovering at that point where something is just annoying enough to make you anxious/angry/whathaveyou, but not so annoying that you can say something about it without looking like a whiner.

when you get home from work at night, sit down, and put on an album, realizing hours later you've listened to it an ungodly amount of times in one sitting and really just don't want to listen to anything else, no matter how much you should probably stop listening to it.

Is This It? was like a fucking drug for me, so wrong but so right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)