Throh

Yes, ok, there's Mountain Storm (OMG CRIT!) but when you realize that most users of Cosmic Power and Bulk Up are fucked over just as much by Overhead Throw, which Phazes them, you'll see that it's vastly overhyped.
In another scenario its fun to realize that Mountain Storm would completely ignore Milotic's Wonder Scale boost. Sleep Talk Milotic is going down simple as that, eitherway I still just see Hariyama lite whenever I see this thing without its Mountain Storm.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually think Nageki is a fantastic alternative to Roobushin. Bulk Up and Overhead Throw are amazing together, especially with Spikes support. Works as a great Phazer and can take Specs Draco Meteors from Latios in a pinch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mountain Storm's Auto-Crit also allow Nageki to bypass Attack decreases? With the amount of new pokes running Intimidate, it can certainly be an interesting attack, especially on a phaser who may end up repeatedly intimidated.

Guts is also a great ability for a Phasing Fighting type Pokemon as well. Since he may draw the attention of Ghosts who may try to Will o' Wisp him. If he draws a Shandera, his excellent Bulk coupled with some Special Defense IVs and Payback allows him to fight effectively against them as well.

i have made a new set that takes advantage of his bulk
nageki
item:leftovers
nature adamant
ability:guts
ev's 252 hp 252 atk 4 def
bulk up
mountain storm
payback
stone edge
takes advantage of all that bulk he has with this set he can take attacks as well as dish them out and it covers up most if not all of its weakness with his already considerable hit taking capacity leftovers effect that constantly restores hp is going to make him able to take all attacks just as god as any wall would like blissey or metagross and with its adamant nature it will dish out mountain storm almost as good as machamp does dynamic punch and adding on the boost it will gets if his guts activates this thing is the dream combo of machamp + blissey/metagross

Bulky Hitter, Overhead throw could work in Tandem with Tentacruel and Toxic spikes.
Seriously, Tentacruel is a monster nowadays... and this guy is its little henchman

I really wish this guy got Drain Punch. It would be way better than Robushin if it did... The way it is, a Bulk Up set with Overhead Throw sounds quite trollish to the opponent (boosted Phazing, fuck yeah!), but you can only last so long without any means of recovery.

First Ice Breath, now Mountain Storm? What the hell was Game Freak smoking when they made B/W? Nageki seems like a bulkier Hariyama, with less attack. It is a very viable Focus Puncher. Or even a Bulk Up Focus Puncher. That would hit like a ton of bricks. Of course the inevitable comparison to Roopushin and Machamp. But Mountain Storm is something that sets it apart. Crits every turn? Hell yeah! Even though with a pitiful base 40 power, couple it with STAB and base 100 Attack, it can do some damage!

Karate Rob anyone? NN's are always cool when the poke is humanlike.
Focus Punch is no longer a TM, it got replaced by Claw Sharpen. :\ What a shame.

well considering he is already bulky and can take hits with this set leftovers just adds the finnishing touch but seriosuly its incredibly bulky it dosent need drain punch

I have to agree that Nageki can be somewhat compared to Roobushin. It doesn't hack Roobu's selling points (monumental attack, priority, and drain punch), but has it's own niches.
Nageki HP may not be as high, but its defenses are amazing. Besides, this thing ignores intimidate/cosmic power/whatever with overhead throw and mountain storm. It can bulk up, payback, and has Mold Breaker, allowing it to spam earthquakes against Gengar, Rotom, Shibirudon, the Latis, etc.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think Nageki will ever be a serious contender vs. Roopushin. I used him on my team with a Bulk Up set just to see how good Mountain Storm, only to get walled even harder by the things Roopushin does. >_>

Come on, Gamefreak, 100 base attack? Now they both suck. >_>

I've been trying the Sub+3 Attacks set, with Payback instead of Body Slam, and it has really worked better than I expected. It's replaced Zuru on my team for the time being and makes a really good Shuffler.

And of course, Nageki can't compare with the new Machamp 2.0, but you need to focus on what he can do that no other fighting types can do. He's far outclassed as a Bulk up user by pokes such as Roobushin and Zuruzukin but that's not the point. He can be a great offensive Shuffler on a semi stall team, and Mold Breaker really helps his niche potential.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Mountain Storm is definitely an interesting ability.

It can actually set up along with and OHKO an unsuspecting opponent running Bulk Up or Cosmic Power.
At least, I suspect Mountain Storm will ignore all boosts because that's what crits do.

I imagine you could trick someone into think you're running Brick Break by running both, tricking them into Bulking up so you can sweep the entire team, because few things are going to do something against this guy if it has 4 or more bulk ups under its belt. Even with attacks that are resisted.
Mountain storm is an ATTACK, not an ability.

Anyways, I think that a scarf set is the only viable set for this pokemon. There's just too much that can outspeed this thing...

Mountain storm is an ATTACK, not an ability.

Anyways, I think that a scarf set is the only viable set for this pokemon. There's just too much that can outspeed this thing...
Max speed Throh only hits 312 speed with a scarf.
I say you should just abuse his great bulk instead of trying to fix his horrible speed.

@Winged Knight
haha, that got posted less than an hour ago in /vp/.
Well, 'just' is a relative term. I guess I realized it about an hour ago. -winkwink nudgenudge-
I know it doesn't mean anything, and it certainly isn't a perfect match-up (Sawk's brow is more of a Z...), but I can't help but wonder if localization team did it intentionally just for fun.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Bulky fighting type with no drain punch? Argh. The first post mentions that mold breaker causes levitating pokemon to become affected by spikes and toxic spikes. Is this true?

Throh/Nageki's stat distribution actually looks really good. 100 attack is just enough for it to inflict damage on things it needs to, and thanks to good coverage (Payback, fighting type attacks, Stone Edge/Rockslide, Earthquake), it can always pose a threat.

It's defenses are great, the immediate defenses it has are even better than Reuniclus (but Throh lacks any immediate recovery or magic guard), and despite not having a means of immediate recovery, it's unwise to inflict status on it right away due to Guts. Giving Throh a 1.5x boost to all of it's attacks is a pretty steep price to pay for residual damage.

If Throh packs Revenge, it's got an immediate 120 BP move before STAB without sacrificing attack or bulk, like it would if it used Superpower. Throh's HP and defenses allow it to use Revenge rather effectively as well, but again, residual damage is problematic for Throh since it has no reliable recovery options, and leftovers will probably be it's best bet.

Throh can also safely deal with ghost types thanks to it's access to Payback and again, it's good defenses. While healthy, Throh can survive nearly anything that's not supereffective. Pokemon like Chandelure also won't enjoy eating Stone Edges or Rockslides (or Earthquake) and should you want, Throh can also go for stat reducing moves like Ankle Sweep or Rock Tomb to pester with opponents as they try to work around it.

Throh basically stops Tyranitar cold as well, as it fears nothing from Tyranitar, and can easily OHKO it with it's STAB moves. Fighting is a very solid defensive type, as only Flying and Psychic type attacks will give it trouble, and neither are very common attack types. However, it is unfortunate to be weak to flying, thanks to the prevalence of Skarmory, which can switch in on Throh and shrug off virtually anything it can throw at it, and phaze it away. Worse yet, Skarmory can just as easily hit a high powered Brave Bird into Throh. Even with investments, surviving a 360 BP move (120 x 2 x 1.5) is a rather tall order for Throh to fill.

Throh makes an excellent partner for the aforementioned Reuniclus too. Throh has no issue with switching into oncoming dark type attacks (though the most common dark type attack, Pursuit, makes it kind of annoying to switch in to), and Reuniclus can cover Psychic type attacks aimed at Throh. Reuniclus' ability to set up Trick Room also compliments Throh's terrible speed, making it one of the quicker trick room users.

Throh's main issue is competition with Conkeldurr. While Throh obviously sports more balanced defenses, Conkeldurr has a massive 140 base attack (which is better to abuse guts with), the same speed plus an option to use priority, and even a recovery option. In order to not be outclassed, Throh should focus on trying to use it's phazing capabilities along with it's good mixed defenses.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I think the number one role of this guy is to break set up sweepers. I mean, a move with 100% critical hit ratio has no other purpose, and that actually makes it a 120 Base Power move (Factoring STAB) that ignores damage-hindering stat changes. I think it could do a decent job against the likes of Blissey and Zuruzukin, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)