Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
Naive/Hasty
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Superpower/Focus Blast
-Grass Knot

Except I choose E belt to have a longer lasting Thundy and fake Choice.

^Just realized that I was using Hammer Arm over Superpower...fixed.

The LO 4 Attacks set is great, and with Superpower, Tyranitar cannot harm Thundurus on the switch. It gets easily OHKO'd, unless Stone Edge from the Scarf T-Tar lands a hit first.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You didn't get it. I was talking about Double Dance (NP&Agility on the same set), in which case you rely on Boltbeam coverage, which DOES suck.
I'll say this again:
Unless you're running into teams with two or more of Magnezone/Rotom-F/Rotom-H/Lanturn/Shedinja/Thick Fat Mamoswine (forgot this one), BoltBeam doesn't suck.
Sure, it's not the best super effective coverage, but hitting everything but six fully evolved Pokemon for neutral damage is pretty much the definition of not sucking. And with Thundurus-T's sheer power, hitting things super effective isn't even necessary half of the time.

(I haven't played BW2 like at all, so excuse me if my post is a bunch of theorymon and that kind of stuff)

It's a little funny how people say that Thunder is so inaccurate, but they say to use focus blast as a 3rd attacking move, even though it has the same accuracy as Thunder in sandstorm (Fk sun, no one would switch in a ninetales into a Thund-T, since Thunder OHKOs after SR. sure, 50% acc, but would you really want to risk it?) Unless, they predict the NP and come in, but we're not gonna bring in prediction.

Yeah, he still has problems with some pokemon, but if you slap it on a team and just expect it to work, you deserve it to be shit. Sure, he can't 2HKO Ferro with Thunderbolt from full health (thunder does though), but with one layer of spikes + SR (pretty sure, Tbolt at +2 does 47% min) or just a random Surf/Hydro pump from something like Starmie means Ferro is 2HKOed, but yes he still has problems with Quag and Gastro, but of course he can be countered, that's why everyone's not screaming uber.

Looks like that the SubNP is better against offensive/balanced teams, since most teams will have to sac something once it gets behind a sub, while NP + 3 attacks is better against stall, since it looks as if nothing really walls it, and doesn't have to worry about getting outsped at all

EDIT:

And if you think Thunder lets you get past Ferro, you're dreaming; Gyro Ball 3HKOs, you need some extreme parahax to kill it.

If they switch into a Chansey that walls you, you're switching out and you've wasted time by subbing.
Thunder 2HKOs Ferro, nice try though. And who would try sweeping when they still have a healthy Chansey?

I can see a Jirachi getting murked by +2 LO Thunder, but again, Sub doesn't do jack in that situation..
Except that while you NP, Jirachi will use Body slam to break the sub, and if you didn't have a sub, say GL to that 60% paralysis rate. oh, and btw Earthduster, +6 tbolt does 98% min to Ferro, so either you got pretty lucky surviving, or SR wasn't on your field..

I don't think you read any of the discussion that took place earlier in this thread; Thunder & HP Ice DOES suck. Just because you hit stuff doesn't mean you hit it for enough damage, and just because it's "BoltBeam" doesn't mean you're actually killing anything. We already had a lengthy discussion about how it does nothing to Ferrothorn & Gastrodon, two walls you NEED to get past if you want to use NP Thundurus, and the fact that if any of Abomasnow, Tyranitar, or Ninetales come in, you've got serious accuracy-related issues; and it goes without saying that HP Ice sucks against anything that's not x4 weak to it.

Thunder 2HKOs Ferro, nice try though. And who would try sweeping when they still have a healthy Chansey?
I'm sorry, this is just wrong. You obviously haven't read any of the previous discussion on the topic. You're reading completely out of context.

Except that while you NP, Jirachi will use Body slam to break the sub, and if you didn't have a sub, say GL to that 60% paralysis rate. oh, and btw Earthduster, +6 tbolt does 98% min to Ferro, so either you got pretty lucky surviving, or SR wasn't on your field..
You NP on the switch, and murk it with +2 Thunder. And I wasn't even advocating Thundurus here...
As for Ferro, it was probably HP Ice, but it hardly matters what +6 does, as it's not a realistic battle situation.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
My set
-Choice Scarf
-4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Rash
-Thunder
-HP Ice
-Focus Blast
-U Turn

This set has worked wonders on my rain team. Thunder is so strong its not funny. HP ice hits things immune to Thunder like opposing Thunderus T, Landourus, and Gliscor hard. Focus Blast allows me to defeat special walls like Ferro, Chansey, Blissey, and TTar. U Turn is more useful than Voltswitch due to the fact nothing is immune to U Turn, and giving something like Landorus or opposing Thunderus a free turn could cost me the match.

Thoughts?

I 've been using an Expert Belt Thundurus-T on my rain team, and it's amazing. Thunder is obscenely powerful, U-turn is very useful, HP Ice gives great coverage (depending on your team). Oddly enough, I haven't had to use Superpower once.

Generally speaking, there's really no point in running a Scarf Thundurus if not for the 101 base speed. It's there to outrun positive natured base 100s, like Mence, which is a big threat otherwise.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Generally speaking, there's really no point in running a Scarf Thundurus if not for the 101 base speed. It's there to outrun positive natured base 100s, like Mence, which is a big threat otherwise.
Nearly every Mence I have seen is DDance Moxie, which is why I pair my Thundurus T with Scizor.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's not just Mence you outspeed with Naive/Timid on Thundurus-T. You also outspeed +1 Volcarona, +1 Haxorus (Scarf or DD), and Scarf Hydreigon. (not as common due to Superpower and Roost, but it still pays on the rare occasion you run into one)

Yeah, a positive speed nature is pretty much required on anything around that speed tier, otherwise you fail to out speed a ton of threats, which could be game-breaking.

Strange. I've fought this thing multiple times of Pokemon Showdown, and I've never had trouble with it. My Porygon2 with Trace and Ice Beam can take it down in two hits while not getting hurt much at all.

Perhaps it's just that Porygon2 makes a great counter to this thing, but I really don't find it too threatening.

I use rash for that extra power with Thunder, and hitting 450 Spe is good, but I might use Naive if I see more Scarfers like Terrakion or Latios. * I only see Choice specs/Band*
Naive Thundurus wouldn't outspeed Scarf Terrakion or Latios. You're responding to all the wrong stuff.

Since everyone complains about its mediocre speed stat. I run this set.

Thundurus-T @ Life Orb
Nature : Modest
EVs : 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Ability : Volt Absorb
Moves :
~ Agility
~ Thunderbolt/Thunder
~ Hidden Power [Ice]
~ Focus Blast

After an Agility, you reach a staggering 602 Speed. Which, in my opinion, its pretty amazing while keeping its monstrous Special Attack stat. With the set provided it pretty much has perfect coverage, only the pink fat blob duos, are a pain, and Gastro seems to be a problem.

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
A better spread to run on Agility Thundurus is 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Speed with Modest. This allows you to outspeed Timid max Speed Heatran before Agility and Choice Scarf Starmie after. Anything faster than Starmie never runs Choice Scarf (Starmie rarely runs it) and you can Focus Blast Heatran in a pinch.

I used to have the Speed EVs lower on my own Thundurus-T, but after trying to set up on what I thought was a defensive Heatran and getting smashed by HP Ice, I moved to this spread. It might not be a bad idea to bump up to 285 Speed so you can't be revenged by +Speed Venusaur in the Sun, although your team should already have an answer to that.

I will definitely take that into consideration, Arctic. I will probably just run the 285 speed, just to be safe. but does focus blast 2hko SpDef Heatran?

Arcticblast

Modest LO Thundurus-T versus 248/100+ Heatran:
Thunderbolt: 49.09 - 57.92%
Thunder: 61.81 - 73.24%
Focus Blast: 82.59 - 97.66% -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even against max/max Heatran, Thunder and Focus Blast both 2HKO (although it can stall Thunder with Protect+Leftovers).

I find agility an awesome move on Thundurus-T. After I have an opportunity using agility I can wreck most pokemon with his monstrous 145base sp. attack. And I would take the EV spread arcticblast showed. It works really well with agility Thundurus-T.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here's a little gem I've been using the last couple days.

Thundurus-T @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 Def / 36 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast

So I was experimenting with Thundurus-T a bit, and found that Substitute + Nasty Plot was one of his best sets. I also found that because its Special Attack was already as naturally high as it was, I could afford to invest some EVs from Special Attack into a defense stat. Uninvested, Timid Thundurus-T actually manages to best 252 SpA Jolteon in terms of Special attack stat points, so I simply invested a significant amount of EVs from SpA towards Defense. Now, the defense EVs allows Thundurus-T’s Substitutes to survive SpD Jirachi’s Body Slam and Ferrothorn’ Gyro Ball 100% of the time, giving it time to set up and protect itself from revenge killing and status (damn Body Slam).

The 36 SpA EVs simply ensure an OHKO on 4/0 Latios with +2 Hidden Power Ice after Stealth Rock damage, but this obviously isn’t applicable if Thundurus-T isn’t running it. You don’t even have to operate with a boost or behind a Substitute; if you need to, you can still blast opponents off in the air immediately, though it lacks the bite of sets that invest significantly in SpA.
Impractical, but it was fun experience.

I'm going to sing the praises of this core to anybody who will listen:
Keldeo+Thundurus-T.
If you have issues with genesect, these two together will make gene's life miserable, since Keldeo resists every move genesect commonly carries aside from thunderbolt, which Thundurus-T is immune to. Put heatran in with those two if you REALLY hate genesect. :P

Here's a little gem I've been using the last couple days.

Thundurus-T @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 Def / 36 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast

So I was experimenting with Thundurus-T a bit, and found that Substitute + Nasty Plot was one of his best sets. I also found that because its Special Attack was already as naturally high as it was, I could afford to invest some EVs from Special Attack into a defense stat. Uninvested, Timid Thundurus-T actually manages to best 252 SpA Jolteon in terms of Special attack stat points, so I simply invested a significant amount of EVs from SpA towards Defense. Now, the defense EVs allows Thundurus-T’s Substitutes to survive SpD Jirachi’s Body Slam and Ferrothorn’ Gyro Ball 100% of the time, giving it time to set up and protect itself from revenge killing and status (damn Body Slam).

The 36 SpA EVs simply ensure an OHKO on 4/0 Latios with +2 Hidden Power Ice after Stealth Rock damage, but this obviously isn’t applicable if Thundurus-T isn’t running it. You don’t even have to operate with a boost or behind a Substitute; if you need to, you can still blast opponents off in the air immediately, though it lacks the bite of sets that invest significantly in SpA.
Impractical, but it was fun experience.
Oh that set looks amazing, I love that spread.Will definitely give this thing a try and post results later.Thanks for sharing.

I've been having tremendous success w/ simply this on a rain team.
Seems to sweep everything

@leftovers
Timid
252 SpAtk 252 Speed 4 HP
HP Ice
Thunder
Focus Blast
Nasty Plot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)