Programming TI-89 IV Calculator

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
You know the premise, in school catching or breeding Pokemon, but with no real method of determining IVs. Well here it is, the TI-89 IV Calculator Version 1.1.

I recently promised #smogon that I would work on a mobile IV calculator as I have some experience in programming on calculators, and I eventually got around to it.

Right now its pretty basic as I just wanted to get this into people's hands and then I will toy with the code again later to make it much more streamlined. Currently its only for the TI-89 but I do plan on making a version for the TI-83+ in the near future.

Version 1.1 download Released 7/26/2007
  • Saves Base Stat input so even after you turn the program/calculator off you can quickly do an IV check on the same Pokemon
  • Saves EV input
  • The only way to do Natures right now is to manually put in the modifiers, this will be fixed on the next update (which will be very soon)
Screenshots:

Upcoming updates:
  • Easier Nature input, just select the Nature from a menu instead of the current manual input
  • Display Hidden Power and Type
  • Cleaner menus
To install the calculator you need a TI-89, a USB cable, and TI Connect (which you can get here). Once you install TI Connect and connect the TI-89 to the computer, turn the TI-89 on and double click the IV file to send it to your calculator. After it has been transfered, type IV() to run the program.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

dude thats awesome. although i probably won't use it, the fact that there is a something like this available on an 89 is pretty kick ass.

makiri

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
You won't be able to use this version (TI-89) but once I complete the TI-83 version, you should be able to to run it then on your 84+.

Just wondering, could you make the menus and stuff neater? I don't want to sound like I'm saying your calc is bad, because its probably really great, I just don't like the way its set up.

A while ago I made my own IV Calc for my Ti-89, and mine looks like this:

Its all in one nice little screen and you don't need to look up the base stats at all. For the base stats you just need to put the pokes number and it'll get them itself, and for the nature you just need to look in the readme or the notefolio file you can put on the calc and there is a number for each nature. Then you can just remember that number if you're breeding or something, or if you're at school you can look in the notefolio and find the nature incase you catch a shiny or something and you don't remember what the nature does.

So yeah, I'm just saying it'd be nice if it was all in one screen instead of having to press all of the F buttons. And the reason I'm posting this instead of using mine is because I've had some problems where mine wasn't always correct, and I'm just too lazy to fix it and hoping you could make a one menu'd one like mine that works good.

makiri

I'll take your suggestions to heart, but the reason I made it so the user had to enter the base stats was to keep the file small and not overload it with a ton of really unnecessary information, I mean who really calculates the IVs of Ledian? Even then you only need to enter the base stats and EVs once and from then on while you calculate the same species IVs you just need to enter the stats and nature.

Like I said this is a simple version, just to show I was actually making progress on it, and not making an empty promise. The nature section is coming up on completion, its just very tedious coding for each of the 25 natures, and even then I haven't decided how to fully implement them.

Yeah doing it your way would make it a lot smaller and easier to make, but if I was at school or away from a computer but had my calc and found a shiny Ledian, it be nice to be able to find its IVs to see if its totally worthless or not. :p

Either way, I sent the code to you so you can look at it and see if you want to make yours like mine, but if you want to keep it your way then thats cool too.

Wait, you are programming one for the TI83? Great! I don't feel like buying a new calc for that (although I might need one for next college year).

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
I used to have a TI-86...but it got lost :(
Before that, I had a TI-85, but the screen is being damaged slowly (LCD leaking)

But I think I'm planning to buy either a TI-89 or Voyage 200 (that updated TI-92 thing) after graduation.
Anyway, is this an assembly programming?, or if not is there one available?

Maybe you should make one for RNG abusing (if possible)...

Cool, this looks awesome for my TI-89. My only question is that, since I've noticed some TI-89 (original version) games supposedly crash the TI-89 Titanium, will this work on the TI-89 Titanium? I'm pretty sure it will, but I'd like to make sure first.

In any case, excellent job! I need to learn how to program for TI's someday.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a TI Nspire. Will this program work on this calculator or is the programming different?

Xia - Amazing model, wish I had one. In regards to your question, you should be able to run it in it's built-in 84+ emulator, so yes.

Also, in regards to people who are worried about whether or not the 83 version will run on your calculator, consider this:

TI-83 < TI-83+ < TI-83+ SE < TI-84 < TI-84+ < TI-84+ SE != TI-89

Anything to the left of your model calculator, you're compatible with it. As for the != symbol, that means that any TI-89 program is not compatible with the TI-84+ SE, and subsequently, any TI-8x calculator.

However I have had some problems trying to run specifically TI-83 based programs on my 84+ SE. I don't know if this is simply due to my calculator or a model-wide problem, but if problems are encountered I can help. After all, TI-BASIC is what got me into my major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)