True Unova Champion - Alder vs Cynthia

Note: Spikes and SR notifications will be emitted, and so will Leftovers after their first mention.

This is my final battle before my trip through Unova. I need to take a rest after leading the Pokemon League and Cynthia challenged me. This is gonna be an interesting fight for sure, since Cynthia is the Sinnoh Pokémon League Champion. I'm obviously going to need a replacement for me as the League Champion while I'm gone and Cynthia seems like a perfect candidate, so if she wins this battle she will be it.
Anyways, onto the battle. First thing I notice is the lack of a potential Rapid Spin user on Cynthia's team. This means once Accelgor sets up his Spikes, they won't be gone until the end of this battle. It doesn't seem like Cynthia has a determined lead, with only Garchomp being able to use an entry hazard. Accelgor can set up at least two layers of Spikes against any of her team members bar ExtremeSpeed Lucario or a Choice Scarf Pokemon thanks to Focus Sash and his great speed, so I don't see a reason not to send out Accelgor.

And I finally arrive at the Unova Champion after defeating the Elite Four. There haven't been much battles where I have actually been nervous before the battle, but this one is one of them. I have heared a lot about Alder, the so-called best trainer of Unova, and the bond he has with his Pokemon. Love is an interesting thing in Pokemon, influencing the way you and your Pokemon perform together with intelligence. Myself, I believe intelligence is superior to the bond with your Pokemon. Carefully thinking and selecting your move is what classifies you as a good trainer.
After taking one look at Alder's team, I regret no having Stealth Rock on one of the members of my team. Volcarona is a huge threat to my team and can potentially sweep my team when Garchomp is down or when Stone Edge misses and Milotic is weakened. Stealth Rock would have given me another chance to kill it with Lucario's ExtremeSpeed. Therefore, I have to be careful with my Garchomp and I can't lock it into Outrage before Volcarona is down. Next, I notice Spiritomb and Milotic can together tank most of the hits from Alder's team. I also notice Lucario can potentially win the game for me by sweeping his team, especially when Volcarona is down as he is then left without Fighting resists. Eelektross and Braviary seem like they will be the least useful Pokemon for me this battle. There are no bulky waters for Eelektross to kill, nor any Fighting or Grass types for Braviary to do the same.
Alder will probably lead with Accelgor and set up some Spikes, which will prove to be annoying as it limits the times my Pokemon can switch in. This will be especially annoying for Spiritomb and Milotic when they have to switch in and out to take some hits. To prevent myself from being in an immediate disadvantage, I can sent out my Garchomp who holds the item Choice Scarf, but I can't reliably kill Accelgor without locking myself into Outrage and a miss could provide Accelgor another layer of Spikes or worse, a chance to kill Garchomp with Hidden Power Ice. I could also send out Lucario and 2HKO with ExtremeSpeed, but I do not want to risk being hit by a Focus Blast and prevent a Lucario sweep. Finally, I decide to send out Braviary to U-turn to break its Focus Sash, or Brave Bird for the 2HKO. If something doesn't go as I predict right now and Braviary goes down, it's of less importance than if Lucario or Garchomp would go down.

Alder sent out Accelgor!
Cynthia sent out Braviary!

(100%) vs.
(100%)

So far, so good. Accelgor outspeeds Braviary, so unless Braviary holds the item Choice Scarf should be able to set up two layers of Spikes thanks to Focus Sash. This would really hinder him if he wants to switch. If Braviary is Scarfed, I can always switch out Accelgor the next turn, but I'll have at least one layer of Spikes no matter what Cynthia chooses to do.

Accelgor will most likely stay in and try to set up Spikes, or less likely, switch out. In the latter case, a U-turn would be appropriate so I can choose a Pokemon that has an advantage over the Pokemon Alder chooses to switch in. If he chooses to let Accelgor stay in, U-turn does a reasonable amount of damage, as it's a neutral 70 BP LO boosted hit, and Accelgor has a pitiful 40 base Defense stat. I can then switch to either Lucario or Garchomp to finish Accelgor off with ExtremeSpeed / Dual Chop respectively. The choice between the two is a tough one, and I am at first tempted to choose for Garchomp, since Lucario is forced out by Volcarona who can then proceed to set up a Quiver Dance. However, in the end I think I will go for Lucario, simply because of the fact that ExtremeSpeed has perfect accuracy. I cannot risk Dual Chop missing and Accelgor setting up and additional layer of Spikes or worse, killing my Garchomp with Hidden Power Ice.

Accelgor used Spikes!
Braviary used U-turn!
Accelgor lost 67% of its health!
Braviary is hurt by its Life Orb!
Cynthia called Braviary back!
Cynthia sent out Lucario!

(33%) vs.
(88%)

Hm, Cynthia made a good move and forces me in a corner. I will either have to switch or sacrifice my Accelgor or switch. Lucario will probably use ExtremeSpeed to finish off my Accelgor. Escavalier is my only ExtremeSpeed resist, but unfortunately it can't hurt Lucario back. I will therefore go to Druddigon, who has enough bulk to survive any attack Lucario has to offer and can KO back with Superpower. Druddigon also doesn't care about Bullet Punch, should Lucario have Bullet Punch instead of ExtremeSpeed.

Things went according to plan so far. I can now eliminate Accelgor with ExtremeSpeed, though Alder will most likely save him for later and switch out. However, I can't risk Accelgor getting up another layer of Spikes and it's too early for me to overpredict, so I'll just go for ExtremeSpeed.

Alder called Accelgor back!
Alder sent out Druddigon!
Lucario used ExtremeSpeed!
Druddigon lost 35% of its health!
Lucario is hurt by its Life Orb!

(65%) vs.
(78%)

That didn't go exactly as I wanted it to, as Druddigon still takes a good blow. That way, Lucario's Close Combat might just KO me now. Cynthia can therefore Close Combat right away. However, if she doesn't know that, she will most likely switch, probably to Milotic, or if she's feeling ballsy, Garchomp. If Lucario uses Close Combat, the best action would be switching to Volcarona, taking not that much from Close Combat, while at the same time letting Lucario take Life Orb damage and force him out with Fiery Dance / Fire Blast after. However, if Cynthia chooses to switch to Milotic, the best option would probably be switching to Bouffalant and use Wild Charge or Head Charge. However, if Lucario chooses to stay in and use Close Combat, Bouffalant will probably faint. I could also switch to Escavalier who can take on Garchomp, but it's unlikely Cynthia will choose to switch in Garchomp. Therefore, I choose the safest option by switching to Volcarona.

In comes Druddigon, who will most likely Superpower. I don't know if Close Combat will KO from here, but I don't want to risk it as Lucario alone could sweep his weakened team. It's probably best to switch in Milotic here. Milotic can take a Superpower and Ice Beam / Dragon Tail afterwards. With 252 HP / 252 Def Bold, even CB Outrage should be manageable. However, Ice Beam won't even 2HKO Druddigon, while CB Outrage 2HKOs Milotic. Combine that with the fact that Milotic will also take a hit and Spikes damage upon switching in, I consider other possibilities. First, I could choose Spiritomb to switch in with an immunity to Superpower, but he faces the same problem as Milotic. After some consideration, I choose to switch in Eelektross, who can take any attack from Druddigon without being OHKOed, and can deal serious damage with Dragon Claw. If Eelektross faints, it also isn't the end of the world since Eelektross doesn't seem like it will be able to do much this match.

Cynthia called Lucario back!
Cynthia sent out Eelektross!
Alder called Druddigon back!
Alder sent out Volcarona!

(100%) vs.
(100%)

Cynthia switching in Eelektross is kinda surprising, but she probably has her reasoning for it. Eelektross with little to no investment in bulk takes a lot of damage from Bug Buzz, but barely survives. However, if Eelektross has a Special Defense lowering nature, Bug Buzz has a (small) chance at OHKOing. However, if I choose to stay in, it's probably better to Quiver Dance first and OHKO after, so I can sweep Cynthia's team more easily. This probably won't work though since Cynthia has a Garchomp who is most likely holding the item Choice Scarf and has a Milotic who can use Dragon Tail to stop my sweep. I also don't want Volcarona to take a ton of damage from Wild Charge if he has it. Therefore, I'll switch to Bouffalant, who can take a Wild Charge fairly easy and do a lot of damage with a CB boosted attack.

If Volcarona has Fire Blast, it can KO Eelektross in one shot. While Eelektross probably won't do a lot this battle, I can still imagine it doing something, so it's best to switch. Milotic is probably the best switch here, as she resists Fire Blast and doesn't take a lot from Bug Buzz with her natural high Special Defense, and can Recover off damage if necessary. Milotic can also Dragon Tail if Volcarona chooses to set up with Quiver Dance.

Alder called Volcarona back!
Alder sent out Bouffalant!
Cynthia called Eelektross back!
Cynthia sent out Milotic!
Milotic restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) vs.
(94%)

The obvious move here would be Wild Charge, scoring a super effective hit against Milotic, boosted by Choice Band. However, Cynthia can very likely predict this and sent out an Electric resist (Eelektross or Garchomp) which forces me to switch out. Head Charge would do a ton of damage against both of them, and would still do around the same damage against Milotic thanks to STAB and Reckless, though at the cost of recoil. The only problem of Head Charge would be Spiritomb switching in. However, I have Escavalier to fall back on in case that happens, who resists both of Spiritomb's STAB moves, and takes few damage from Hidden Power Fighting, its only common coverage move. I therefore go for Head Charge.

A double switch results to a somewhat unfortunate position for me. Bouffalant can do a ton of damage to Milotic with Wild Charge (maybe even KO thanks to Spikes), so I can do nothing but switch out. My first thought is to switch to Garchomp, who is immune to Head Charge. However, I do not want to take the risk of Bouffalant using Head Charge. That way, I will lose Garchomp and have to rely on Milotic to beat Volcarona, but boosted Bug Buzzes will hurt a lot. My second thought is going to Eelektross since he is not as important to me this battle, but just sacrificing a Pokemon to Head Charge is definitely the way to go. I therefore decide to switch to Spiritomb. Spiritomb can take a Head Charge with immunity, and a Wild Charge won't do that much as Spiritomb is 252 HP / 252 Def Bold.

Cynthia called Milotic back!
Cynthia sent out Spiritomb!
Bouffalant used Head Charge!
It had no affect!
Spiritomb restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) vs.
(94%)

Cynthia switches in Spiritomb for free against my Bouffalant. I don't know what to expect from Spiritomb. Most likely it is a CroTomb to check all those nasty Reuniclus's that might be an annoyance to Cynthia. It could also be holding the item Choice Band or Choice Specs. Bouffalant should be able to easily survive an attack from CroTomb and Choice Band (it won't use Sucker Punch). Bouffalant will also survive an attack if it's holding the item Choice Specs since Bouffalant has 252 HP. It seems like I have no reason to let Bouffalant in since Head Charge doesn't affect Spiritomb, but I'm thinking Cynthia will predict a switch on my side and switch.

I switch in my Spiritomb and gain some momentum, since Bouffalant is most likely holding the item Choice Band. Bouffalant is therefore forced to switch out. He will most likely switch to Escavalier, who resists both of Spiritomb's STAB moves and takes few damage from Hidden Power Fighting. I want to keep the momentum, so I switch to Eelektross who can roast Escavalier with Flamethrower.

Cynthia called Spiritomb back!
Cynthia sent out Eelektross!
Bouffalant used Head Charge!
Eelektross lost 100% of its health!
Eelektross fainted!
Bouffalant is hit with recoil!
Bouffalant lost 20% of its health!

(80%) vs.
(0%)

Alder stays in for some reason, probably predicting a switch on my part. It comes at the cost of me losing my Eelektross, while not such an important member, could still have easened my match against Escavalier. My first thought is switching to Spiritomb with an immunity to Head Charge, but Escavalier will just come in who easily walls Spiritomb. I therefore decide to go to my beloved Lucario, who can force Bouffalant out with STAB Close Combat and can set up Swords Dance on the switch or just Close Combat as Alder only has one Pokemon at reasonable health who resists it. I'm probably just going to use Close Combat, since CB Head Charge will still do a ton of damage to my frail Lucario, even though it's resisted and Spikes will also do its toll. That combined with the fact that Close Combat already does a good amount of damage to every team member of Alder makes me go for Close Combat.

Every team you faint an opponent's team member, it comes at the cost of them being able to switch in a Pokemon freely. This time, it's Lucario, forcing me out with STAB Close Combat and threatening to hurt a member of my team a lot with Close Combat. My first feeling is to switch to Volcarona to resist the Close Combat and outseped and threaten Lucario with STAB Fiery Dance. However, at second thought I think it's better to sac a Pokemon. Accelgor, to be precise. While I originally saved Accelgor to get another layer of Spikes, the second layer does only half the damage the first layer does, and it's unsure whether he's gonna get it up anyways. That way I can switch in Volcarona afterwards without even taking damage and still wearing down Lucario with Life Orb and Spikes damage.

Alder called Bouffalant back!
Alder sent out Accelgor!
Lucario used Close Combat!
It's not very effective...
Accelgor lost 33% of its health!
Accelgor fainted!
Alder sent out Volcarona!

(100%) vs.
(54%)

And that's how Volcarona comes in for free. I'm going to use Fiery Dance now. Even though it's the obvious move and Cynthia will very likely predict it, I can't afford it if she lets Lucario in and uses Stone Edge.

I faint a Pokemon, but it comes at the cost of some momentum. Volcarona forces Lucario out with 10 more base speed and a super effective STAB. I can switch to Garchomp to outspeed and KO with Stone Edge, but if she uses Bug Buzz for some reason, Garchomp will take a lot of damage for nothing. I therefore decide to just go to Milotic, who can take most things Volcarona can do, Recover off the damage, and Scald back, or Dragon Tail if Volcarona has a Quiver Dance up.

Cynthia sent out Milotic!
Volcarona used Fiery Dance!
Milotic lost 21% of its health!
Volcarona's Special Attack rose!
Volcarona is hurt by its Life Orb!
Milotic restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(90%) vs.
(66%)

That Special Attack boost really helped me. At this health, Volcarona has a chance of KOing Milotic with a +1 Bug Buzz, and Volcarona can survive a STAB Scald thanks to his great special bulk. If he switches, not much harm is done, since LO Bug Buzz hurts most of his team members at +1.

That Special Attack boost really is annoying. Bug Buzz will do a lot more to Milotic now, though I think I can still survive one hit. I'll hit back with Scald to bring Volcarona in Lucario's ExtremeSpeed's KO range, and together with LO, Volcarona will also take quite a lot of damage this turn.

Volcarona used Bug Buzz!
Milotic lost 64% of its health!
Milotic used Scald!
It's super effective!
Volcarona lost 60% of its health!

(20%) vs.
(9%)

Volcarona barely misses out on KOing Milotic, and therefore gets hit with a strong Scald. Milotic is at low health, so I could just Fiery Dance to KO Milotic, but it won't help much since Cynthia still has a Garchomp left who can outspeed and KO Volcarona. Cynthia can also predict me using Fiery Dance and switch in Garchomp on a not very effective move, so I decide to just use Bug Buzz and finish this thing off.

Milotic is sturdy enough to survive the boosted Bug Buzz, and hits back with STAB super effective Scald. It doesn't KO, but it deals enough damage to make sure Volcarona can only get two more hits in. (Or three, and survive with 1HP, so I can't rely on that.) I can switch now to save my Milotic, but I want Lucario or Garchomp to be able to switch in safely. Milotic also has done her job of severely weakening the most threatening opponent so it's not all that threatening anymore. You did well Milotic, I'll make sure to completely heal you right when this battle is over.

Volcarona used Bug Buzz!
Milotic lost 9% of its health!
Milotic fainted!

I only need to get in one more hit for Volcarona to go down, and I have two options for that: one is Lucario's ExtremeSpeed, and the other one is Choice Scarf Garchomp. Garchomp gets chosen here, because when combined with Spikes and Life Orb, Lucario is going to take a lot of unnecessary damage, especially when it is going to switch out again. Since I want to save Lucario for later, Garchomp it is.

Cynthia sent out Garchomp!
(10%) vs.
(87%)

I can switch out Volcarona here so I can later use him as death fodder, but this will only result in Escavalier taking more damage. This way, I can also scout the move Garchomp chooses, so I stay in.

Garchomp used Earthquake!
Volcarona lost 10% of its health!
Volcarona fainted!

Okay, now comes the tough descision of what Pokemon to send out next. If Garchomp is holding the item Choice Scarf, sending out Druddigon would probably be the best choice, as he can survive an Earthquake and then use CB Outrage and something on his team will faint. If Garchomp is not holding the item Choice Scarf however, Druddigon will either faint from a Choice Band boosted Earthquake or Garchomp will faint Druddigon with Outrage / Dragon Claw. If that is the case, the best option could be switching in Escavalier and use CB Megahorn. However, I think I'm going to switch in Vanilluxe, as it functions well with both options. Garchomp is most likely holding a Choice item, since I didn't see Life Orb damage or Leftovers recovery. When Garchomp is holding the item Choice Scarf, Garchomp won't be able to KO Vanilluxe at this health and Vanilluxe will KO back with Ice Beam. If Garchomp is not holding the item Choice Scarf, Garchomp will most likely, fearing Vanilluxe holds the item Choice Scarf and outspeeds and KOs with Ice Beam.

Alder sent out Vanilluxe!
(100%) vs.
(87%)

Vanilluxe is probably holding the item Choice Scarf, and it's almost certain it will use Ice Beam next turn. Therefore, Braviary is out of the question. Lucario will be able to survive an Ice Beam with its resistance, but Lucario is frail and Spikes and Life Orb damage might mean that Lucario won't be able to sweep anymore. Therefore, my only option left is Spiritomb.

Cynthia called Garchomp back!
Cynthia sent out Spiritomb!
Vanilluxe used Ice Beam!
Spiritomb lost 66% of its health!
Vanilluxe is hurt by its Life Orb!
Spiritomb restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(90%) vs.
(27%)

Vanilluxe did a lot of damage to Spiritomb; much more than I expected. Good job Vanilluxe! Right now, if I use Ice Beam, something on Cynthia's team will faint, making it the best option.

Apparently Vanilluxe is holding the item Life Orb and can therefore 2HKO Spiritomb. This is kinda annoying, but the high damage output told me that Vanilluxe has a Special Attack boosting nature, which means Lucario is able to outspeed it. I decide to sac Spiritomb, since it's the least useful member at the moment and I don't want to risk any other Pokemon on my team.

Vanilluxe used Ice Beam!
Spiritomb lost 27% of its health!
Spiritomb fainted!

(80%) vs.
(42%)

Lucario switches in, who outspeeds Vanilluxe and faints him with a STAB Close Combat. I can leave vanilluxe in and sac him, but I have the feeling Vanilluxe can still have some use this match. I decide to sac Druddigon, who has a disadvantage against all of Cynthia's remaining team members, since they can all outspeed and KO Druddigon. By saccing Druddigon, I also increase the LO damage on Lucario.

Lucario outspeeds Vanilluxe (Speed boosting nature would have done 65% max), so I can outspeed Vanilluxe and attack with Close Combat. If Alder chooses to switch out, both Bouffalant and Druddigon won't enjoy the hit and will probably faint or at least very low on health so they're easy to pick off with their low speed. Escavalier might switch in, but Close Combat is still my strongest attack against Escavalier and will still do a reasonable amount of damage.

Alder called Vanilluxe back!
Alder sent out Druddigon!
Druddigon lost 65% of its health!
Druddigon fainted!

Bouffalant and Vanilluxe are both outsped and KOed by Lucario, so my only option left is Escavalier. I need to be careful with Escavalier though, since I will probably need him later as well.

Alder sent out Escavalier!
(100%) vs.
(32%)

Both Megahorn and Iron Head should KO Lucario at this health, so there's not much difference when he stays in. If she switches to Garchomp, Megahorn is by far the superior choice, since Iron Head doesn't KO while Megahorn does. If Cynthia switches in Braviary, there's not much difference, since Megahorn and Iron Head both 2HKO Braviary. Therefore, I choose Megahorn, since it's overall the best option.

Lucario can get 3 more hits in, or 2 hits after switching in a layer of Spikes. If I choose Lucario to stay in, Lucario will probably take a huge hit and will more than likely faint, even through the resist. Lucario can also easily outspeed and KO the other two members left of his team, so if I save Lucario and KO Escavalier, I should be able to win this. I can switch to either Braviary or Garchomp right now. Garchomp won't be able to dent Escavalier as hard as Braviary, and he will also take a lot of damage from both of Escavalier's STAB moves, since he resists neither. Braviary resists Megahorn, which Alder will likely choose to use, since it's the more powerful STAB move, and Iron Head is 4x resisted by Lucario. Braviary is also less likely to sweep the remains of Alder's team and is therefore less valuable in case something goes wrong, Braviary it is.

Cynthia sent out Braviary!
Escavalier used Megahorn!
Braviary lost 62% of its health!

(100%) vs.
(28%)

Escavalier holds the item Choice Band, so I can't change moves here. I could switch Escavalier out, but my incoming Pokemon will only take a hug unnecessary blow and it's not even necessary for me to change my moves, since Megahorn KOs any member of his team.

Braviary takes a lot of damage from that Megahorn even though he resists it, probably because Escavalier is holding the item Choice Band. If I switch out, the incoming Pokemon will likely faint from the Megahorn, so I should definitely not switch out. Brave Bird is Braviary's strongest attack against Escavalier, and should also do a lot of damage against Bouffalant and Vanilluxe, with a LO boost.

Braviary used Brave Bird!
Escavalier lost 69% of its health!
Braviary is hurt by its Life Orb!
Braviary is hit by recoil!
Braviary lost 18% of its health!
Braviary fainted!
Escavalier used Megahorn!
But there was no target...

Now comes the decision if I want to send out Lucario or Garchomp. I could send in Lucario now, KO Escavalier and the second Pokemon he sends out and then finish the other with Garchomp, or send out Garchomp now and KO Escavalier with Earthquake and then see if I can do more damage to another Pokemon and then finish the last member(s) with Lucario. I choose for the first one, since the last one is a tad unreliable since Alder could switch, or something similar could happen which results in me having lost, as Lucario only has 2 moves left. Lucario also KOs all of Alder's Pokemon in one hit.

(31%) vs.
(20%)

Lucario outspeeds and KOs any of my Pokemon with Close Combat, so there's no reason to switch. However, luckily for me Lucario has only two more hits left thanks to Life Orb (I think). That way, I'll end up with one last Pokemon against his Garchomp. Even though both can OHKO Garchomp, I think I'll go with Garchomp, since Bouffalant takes recoil when he attacks Garchomp, maybe resulting in a draw, which I want to avoid.

Lucario outspeeds and KOs any of Alder's Pokemon with Close Combat, but can only faint two of them because of the Life Orb he is holding. I can't switch, since then Lucario will only take more Life Orb damage. Let's just see who Alder decides to battle Garchomp with and saves from Lucario.

Escavalier lost 31% of its health!
Escavalier fainted!
Alder sent out Bouffalant!

It's super effective!
Bouffalant lost 80% of its health!
Bouffalant fainted!
Lucario fainted!
Cynthia sent out Garchomp!
Alder sent out Vanilluxe!

(80%) vs.
(75%)

And my Vanilluxe ends up battling his Garchomp. If Garchomp holds the item Choice Scarf, which he likely does, Vanilluxe has a small chance of surviving Outrage. Let's just see who wins this battle. In any case, it was a great battle Cynthia and I'll allow you to take my place with any outcome!

Garchomp outspeeds Vanilluxe and KOs with Outrage. I think. After a quick calculation, I see Vanilluxe has a small chance of surviving Outrage. However, Outrage is still the best option, since the chance of Vanilluxe surviving is smaller than the chance of Stone Edge missing. I'm very nervous as I choose Outrage, and wait for what happens...

Vanilluxe used Ice Shard!
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 75% of its health!
Garchomp fainted!
Alder won the battle!

That was a great game, Cynthia, no matter who won or who lost. I'll give you the honor of being the champion while I'm away, and I'm sure you will do good as this was my greatest challenge ever!

I see in horror how my Garchomp faints after gettting struck by a priority Ice Shard. I lose the battle, and I realize Alder is rightfully the Champion of Unova. This was the greatest battle I ever had, and even though I lost, I still had a lot of fun, and for that I thank Alder! Alder also politely lets me be his replacement while he's gone, which I very much appreciate. I will sure do my best for such a great trainer.

Thank you for reading!

Wow, badass Vanilluxe. I enjoy a good theme warstory, and this was indeed a good theme warstory. I liked the sheer depth of the comments, really helped me to get inside both players' heads.

8/10, if I had to give a rating.

Decent warstory. The battle was good, but I found the commentary really verbose. Phrases like "... is holding the item Choice Scarf" is just so much longer than "... is Scarfed". With more vivid writing, this would've been much better. Strangely as well Alder didn't seem to notice how much of a threat Lucario was to his team until the end @_@

Thanks for posting =)

Personally, I think the commentary being longer was a good thing in parts. It suited Cynthia well, although Alder, not so much.
I really liked the battle! Nice theme, nicely put together, and a very interesting read. :)

I did notice a few errors whilst reading through so proof reading it might not be a terrible idea.

That aside I really did enjoy it even if I do prefer Cynthia to Alder....

7/10

Probably one of the best themed battles i've read. Well formatted, well played and insightful commentary with both sides. The whole narration as each of the Champions was submersive without being being over done. I'm yet to give anyone a 10/10 because im saving that for the best war-story of all time so i'll give you a 9/10 and Luvdisc instead.

This is interesting. I enjoyed it, even though Volcarona was misplayed (you should have Quiver Danced against Milotic!).

Alder's team is particularly Volcarona weak, ironically.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

The battle was good, but I found the commentary really verbose. Phrases like "... is holding the item Choice Scarf" is just so much longer than "... is Scarfed". With more vivid writing, this would've been much better.
The reason why I did that is because in-game that is how it is named. If people want me to change this though I'll do it.

If people want me to change the comments and make them shorter (or just Alders ones) just say it, and I'll probably do it.

This is interesting. I enjoyed it, even though Volcarona was misplayed (you should have Quiver Danced against Milotic!).

Alder's team is particularly Volcarona weak, ironically.
Quiver Dance against Milotic would still have resulted in Scarfchomp revenge killing volcarona because of scarf and natural higher base speed, and bug buzz would have hurt if garchomp switched in.

And i cant change the teams, obviously.

9/10. And that's only because of a smattering of grammatical/spelling errors throughout. Really, though, I loved this to death. Theme warstories are always awesome.

Excellent warstory! I really enjoyed it, especially Vanilluxe!! There's a few grammatical errors, but if I would guess, English probably isn't your first language, so it's all good

I couldn't really read it all the way through, but I liked the theme and the teams (I sometimes use an Alder team, also).

First, a small detail:
My first thought is to switch to Garchomp, who is immune to Head Charge. However, I do not want to take the risk of Bouffalant using Head Charge.
Garchomp is immune to Wild Charge, not to Head Charge.
Apart from this mistake, long and very detailed (double) comments (sometimes too long for me), very good formatting (scores?) and a well-played battle. Here is a Luvdisc for you!

Format: 9/10
Battle: 8/10
Commentary: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Every single member of Alder's team carries either Band or LO, except Accelgor. I found that to be a bit off-putting. 8/10

Aside from the wild charge error someone posted about above, you also need to check your gender pronouns. Often, Alder calls Cynthia's team as HIS team, as opposed to HER team. And Cynthia does the opposite to Alder, sometimes using 'she' to describe him.

Other than that, shorten the comments and it'll be fine.

I guess this needs an update and I'll do it soon. I'm thinking this should do: -removing small errors -shortening alders comments

I just wanted to point out that if Lucario had used Swords Dance on turn 2, then it would have been good game for Cynthia. Barring a burn from Volcarona's Flame Body, nothing on the opposing team could have stopped Lucario's sweep. A tragic misplay, I must say.

5/10

Is it me or do themed battles seem pointless? The effort was good and the idea of using teams of the champs was unique. But the battle seemed lackluster. I couldn't read past turn 1 because it was so tedious.

Not bad formating. But the comments should be shorter. This would be 10/10 but the teams are just to boring.

The battle was interesting, undoubtedly, but there were definitely tragic misplays in there. Lucario absolutely should've used SD at some point. Turn 2 would've been a lot better that way imo, since I don't believe that Druddigon would've been sacced, meaning Volcarona still would've come out to hopefully get Flame Body to activate. Same goes for when Bouffalant was out, since Accelgor could've easily been predicted to be dead weight at that point. Vanilluxe vs Lucario, same deal. One could also argue that Volcarona could've Danced again, but I can see one's fear of DT arising there, so meh.

I'd give it a 6/10. I liked the battle a fair amount, and the commentary was good for the most part (except saying that something is holing the Choice Scarf/Band took away from the 'realism' for me), but those Lucario misplays had me cringing. It would've been fine if it wouldn't have turned things around multiple times. That's my two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)