Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no reason to use a special rock polish set while Genesect is around and does the same thing much better. Also rock polish won't you get very far with no speed investment.

Not many pokes are weak to rock/dark. Stone edge misses far too often (i swears its like 60% accuracy).
.....wat. Rock is one of the best offensive types because so many things are weak to it, and so few things resist it along with fighting or ground coverage. Despite stone edge's shaky accuracy, it's still a very solid move with high base power and great neutral/SE coverage.

dragon dancing is probably best left to tyrantrum nowadays, what with the only 2x weak to fighting and better sweeping abilities

tyranitar can do it, but do you really wanna use up your mega pokemon like that?

dragon dancing is probably best left to tyrantrum nowadays, what with the only 2x weak to fighting and better sweeping abilities

tyranitar can do it, but do you really wanna use up your mega pokemon like that?
Tyranitar is my fav and I want some viable set for him (Mega), is Rock Polish better? or DD?

Bulk is worth mentioning. Tyranitar can take special attacks for days with little to no investment. Tyrantrum is never going to pull that off, regardless of investment.

Bulk is worth mentioning. Tyranitar can take special attacks for days with little to no investment. Tyrantrum is never going to pull that off, regardless of investment.
too bad the best counters to DD sets use priority (bullet punch / mach punch / aqua jet)

not that tyrantrum takes physical attacks better (because even regular ttar has better HP/DF stats) but rather tyrantrum is not going to get maimed by mach punch and takes neutral damage from aqua jet

additionally, while sand stream is awesome, it doesn't really help ttar sweep (aside from boosted Sp. Def). Tyrantrum gets his choice (someday) of Strong Jaw (boosts to the fang moves / crunch) or Rock Head (recoil-free head smash, which is miles better than stone edge)

Last edited:
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite

Jolly, EVs : 252 Atk - 252 Spe - 4 HP

-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/?
-Dragon Dance

Is there any option better than Earthquake? is taking a special move even viable on him as Mega? (Fire Blast/Ice Beam)

Need help this set...

Do you guys think it would be better to put evs in hp or defense? I think tyranitar already gets enough SpD from sandstorm so which one would be the better option to invest evs in?

Depends what you intend on doing with him, and what you need him to facetank. Typically, however, investing in HP is safer, since it defends against both damage types, but isn't as efficient as investing in defense, since his defense is lower than his HP (as relevant defense approaches HP, and vice versa, efficiency of defensive values increases). The downside to investing in defense, obviously, is that it only defends against a single damage type.

If you're intending on running AV TTar, you'll want at least either 208HP/252Sp.D, or 252HP/216Sp.D to be 3HKO'd by Alakazam's focus blast.

this set has been working wonders for me and it completely annihilates pokemon like talonflame.
252 evs in spatk, 252 hp, 6spD. Item: smooth rock/leftovers
flamethrower, stealth rock, icebeam/thunderbolt, rock polish

They always switch into pokemon like venasaur or some water type and then when you use flamethrower/thunderbolt its just hilarious. Also switching in tyranitar when they're using something like talonflame often gives you a chance to set up either rock polish or stealth rock since they'll switch immediately.

You guys are underestimating MegaTar's crazy defenses. Even with 4/0 defenses DD MegaTar is infinitely better at taking hits than Tyrantrum.

To put it into perspective I tested it out against some common things.

CB Scizor Bullet Punch does 77% max, does not OHKO
Adamant 252 Excadrill Earthquake 90% Max, chance to OHKO with Stealth Rocks
CB Azumaril Aqua Jet 58% Max
Just for giggles, Adamant 252 Ferrothorn Power Whip 84% Max, technically guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rocks and Iron Barbs lol, not that it matters, it's outsped and OHKO'd by Fire Punch(run Fire Punch)
Here's the retarded one: Life Orb Adamant 252 Conkuldurr Mach Punch 97% Max. The hell is this pokemon?

M!TTar's Bulk should not be underestimated, priority isn't the biggest threat to it unless it's Breloom's mach punch. You need scarf close combat to really check it well.

You guys are underestimating MegaTar's crazy defenses. Even with 4/0 defenses DD MegaTar is infinitely better at taking hits than Tyrantrum.

To put it into perspective I tested it out against some common things.

CB Scizor Bullet Punch does 77% max, does not OHKO
Adamant 252 Excadrill Earthquake 90% Max, chance to OHKO with Stealth Rocks
CB Azumaril Aqua Jet 58% Max
Just for giggles, Adamant 252 Ferrothorn Power Whip 84% Max, technically guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rocks and Iron Barbs lol, not that it matters, it's outsped and OHKO'd by Fire Punch(run Fire Punch)
Here's the retarded one: Life Orb Adamant 252 Conkuldurr Mach Punch 97% Max. The hell is this pokemon?

M!TTar's Bulk should not be underestimated, priority isn't the biggest threat to it unless it's Breloom's mach punch. You need scarf close combat to really check it well.
the problem is there is no way for tyranitar to learn any of the elemental punches

Although Assault Vest is a good item, you have to consider the effects of defog too. Defog puts a much greater emphasis on bulky hazard setters, which Tyranitar definitely is. If you are already sure of who your stealth rock user is going to be, or you think hazards will be much less important this gen because of defog, then that is fine, but otherwise you are missing out on one of the tier's best stealth rock users.

How does everyone just 'know' that all of there old move-sets will carry over from past generations? What if Game Freak filters out older generation moves that are no longer possible in gen 6? I mean I doubt they would do that, but it wouldn't surprise me either given how they continuously make move changes for whatever reason.

Anyways, what still out-speeds if you run Adamant 252 Atk/252 Spe Rock Polish set instead of Jolly?

Last edited:
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite

Jolly, EVs : 252 Atk - 252 Spe - 4 HP

-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/?
-Dragon Dance

Is there any option better than Earthquake? is taking a special move even viable on him as Mega? (Fire Blast/Ice Beam)

Need help this set...
Any thoughts on whether to take Adamant or Jolly? Adamant allows you to tie speed 115s, so that means you're left outsped by Greninja. I've been running Adamant and its completely beastly, but I'll try Jolly.

I've been using Baton Pass Mew with mega Ttar. It's completely ridiculous at +3, and not even Skarmory can come in to whirlwind.

I'd rather stick with Jolly if I was gonna run DD MegaTar. You can catch base 120s like Dugtrio fwiw, even though CB Earthquake doesn't OHKO. It's more than that though. Jolly leaves you less open to offensive combinations overwhelming Ttar. Let's say you run Adamant and lose the speed tie to Starmie and catch a Hydro Pump. It won't OHKO if Ttar is healthy and you OHKO back, but that means something else can come in that is even faster or has priority (e.g.: Greninja or Scizor) and can pick Ttar off. As opposed to Jolly +1, which flat outspeeds Starmie and OHKOs with Crunch, saving your HP and, if Ttar is healthy enough, can take that CB Bullet Punch from Scizor and hit it back with a +1 anything.

Reactions: Jec
A lot of people complained about the sand stream nerf, but I liked it on this guy. He no longer automatically hinders all my non sand pokes and will have a spot on a lot more balanced teams because of it. I am definitely breeding a perfect Ttar once I get done with dragonite (best so far is a 29/31/19/31/31/31 with multiscale and lonely if anyone's interested, I'll hopefully have a better one real soon though)

A lot of people complained about the sand stream nerf, but I liked it on this guy. He no longer automatically hinders all my non sand pokes and will have a spot on a lot more balanced teams because of it. I am definitely breeding a perfect Ttar once I get done with dragonite (best so far is a 29/31/19/31/31/31 with multiscale and lonely if anyone's interested, I'll hopefully have a better one real soon though)
I feel the same way. It is much easier now to fit ttar in a non weather team.

I'm interested. Can trade:
Timid Levitate Gastly 31/x/31/31/31/31
Protean Froakie (not got round to breeding this for IVs, have a Timid froakie. Can breed with everstone for same nature or just random?)
Adamant Gale Wings Fletchling 31/31/31/x/31/31

im making a tyranitar for the battle maison and was wondering what you guys think would be a good moveset. the team will start off with a baton passing scoliopede so he will almost always have +3 speed and +2 atk the move set im thinking of right now is stone edge/crunch/earthquake/???? any ideas for the last move?

I feel the same way. It is much easier now to fit ttar in a non weather team.
Bingo. With a Magic Guard and/or Steel Type, there's a good chance that even if Ttar can't stay in for the 5 turns, you can easily go into Clefable to set up a Wish or a Forretress to keep the Hazards flowing (Or something of the sort). I love the auto weather "nerf". It will help alleviate the ubiquity of weather teams while opening up even more opportunities for these pokes to stay in and actually, in Ttar's case, become much more useful.

I gotta say, I am loving this gen. Ghost is ~OP, but other than that, it seems like everything has a counter, and its going to come down to the players a lot more. And kudos to Pokemon for doing their research on the fairy type, mythologically the weaknesses and resistances fit right in. This may be my favorite Gen/Meta yet.

It is, and breeding one with it will be way more difficult than breeding one in X/Y and just giving it Low Kick or Earthquake. The only plausible way to do it is to try and RNG a Wild Tyranitar with the IVs you want then transfer it over.

I've been running a slightly unconventional set. I originally tried it out just to see if it would work, but it was so effective, I never changed it.

Tyrantar-Weakness policy
Sassy
252 HP/252 Special Defense/6 Special Attack
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Ice Beam
Stone Edge

He is so bulky that he can take a super effective hit and get +2 to both attacking stats. Basically a special wall that can also hurt things. It's main job is to lure in and kill Gliscor so my Excadrill and Mega Lucario can sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)