Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarf Tyrantrum is pretty effective. He gets fantastic coverage from Strong Jaw, giving him 97 BP Fire/Ice/Thunder attacks to run off of his very good attack stat, and has just enough speed that a scarf will outrun almost anything with a boost. He's a great revenge killer and also has the resistances and bulk to come in on a fair number of threats (notably Talonflame) and chase them off or wreck them. People rarely see him coming and even if they do he's got enough speed and power that it might not matter.

I never understood why this guy didn't get some sort of pseudo-signature move to abuse Strong Jaw with. I mean, Aurorus gets Freeze Dry, so why couldn't Tyrantrum get something similar? Instead it gets Head Smash, which was Rampardos's signature move...

Anyway, since Rock Head isn't released yet, I'm going for a DD set ingame. I suppose Jolly is the preferred nature?

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Strong Jaw
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Head Smash/Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Dragon Dance

Anything else I should consider? Crunch perhaps?

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Crunch doesn't give you especially much in terms of SE coverage (which is the kind that's key here, since Ground/Rock gives you neutral coverage on almost everything in the game), while Ice Fang hits Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon harder than anything else you have, and those three tend to wall you otherwise. Stick with Ice Fang, and have fun with the set!

...And yes, he should totally have gotten a Rock-type biting move with some sort of interesting side effect.

I personally like Fire Fang for the handy KOs on Skarmory, Scizor and Ferrothorn, who otherwise just come in and either KO you with Bullet Punch/Gyro Ball or set up on you. I guess it depends whether you would rather deal with the Bulky Ground Types or the Bulky Steel types, if you would rather have Ice Fang or Fire Fang. I agree that Crunch and Thunder Fang offer little in terms of useful SE coverage.

Scarf and DD sets are amazing, but why isn't Leftovers bulky SR isn't even mentioned? Or at least Sash SR + head smash suicide lead.

I personally use Tyrantrum as a Bulky SR setter. He counters Talonflame handily, so he can't be scared away from setting up his rocks by an early appearance of the bird. With Defog being so easy to use this gen, I don't know how good the Suicide Lead class of sets is going to be, so I can't speak to that. But Bulky SR is definitely an effective set.

Dazzling Gleam is becoming popular as a coverage move for psychic types and Gengar, so Crunch can be useful for nailing some potential counters that switch in thinking they're going to take out Tyrantrum with his fairy weakness.

Crunch doesn't give you especially much in terms of SE coverage (which is the kind that's key here, since Ground/Rock gives you neutral coverage on almost everything in the game), while Ice Fang hits Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon harder than anything else you have, and those three tend to wall you otherwise. Stick with Ice Fang, and have fun with the set!

...And yes, he should totally have gotten a Rock-type biting move with some sort of interesting side effect.
I would have liked to of imagined not a Rock biting move, but a Dragon one. Something like that would wreck havoc on opposing dragons with a Scarf set.

Poison Fang does have a 50% chance to Toxic now, which could be helpful against physical walls such as Hippowdon and Tangrowth.
This is what I was thinking. When I saw the increased poison chance I figured it would be a nasty surprise for any walls that aren't immune to toxic.

You can always scarf him, though he suffers obviously from priority and his unreliable STAB Head Smash. Still, STAB Head Smash at decent speeds and his ample defense to take a few SE hits would still have the ability to make somethings cry.

I never understood why this guy didn't get some sort of pseudo-signature move to abuse Strong Jaw with. I mean, Aurorus gets Freeze Dry, so why couldn't Tyrantrum get something similar? Instead it gets Head Smash, which was Rampardos's signature move....
Because he gets RockHead as his HA. But with that said I agree where his RubbleChomp or DracoJaw

snipetantrum@leftovers
252atk/252spe/4hp, jolly
Rock Head
Dragon Dance
Hone Claws
Head Smash
Earthquake

I'll be trying this out. Will post back results as soon as i get wrecked lol

Since rock head isn't released, I would run Life Orb 252Atk/252Spe with Adamant/Jolly and Stone Edge/Dragon Claw/Crunch or Earthquake/Dragon Dance. Edgequake and dragon is better coverage than Rock, dark, and dragon but without crunch the ability is worthless and it is helpless against things like Slowbro, Cofagrigus (rare, but it is there), and Dusknoir (which I have seen a surprisingly large amount of times. Earthquake lets it take out full health Heatran, Mega manetric, Magnezone, Lucario etc. Crunch is a stronger general move after strong jaw so for something you can't hit for neutrally effective damage with stab or you worry about stone miss it is better. (It acts like a stab move since it gets a 1.5x boost from strong jaw)

Why are people trying sets that are impossible to get? Why are they even legal in showdown? These kind of things turn smogon into a pervertion of the game.

The lack of stabs that can abuse its ability is awful, so I was thinking of using a set with fire fang, ice fang, and maybe rock slide (stone edge misses 90% of the time if you use it in the real game and not in the pervertion so it's not reliable enough) and dragon dance. It lacks the earthquake coverage, but it gains the fire attack against ferrothorns which are everywhere, and I was also thinking of throwing in leftovers instead of life orb (since I'm going to be dragon dancing anyways).

Since rock head isn't released, I would run Life Orb 252Atk/252Spe with Adamant/Jolly and Stone Edge/Dragon Claw/Crunch or Earthquake/Dragon Dance. Edgequake and dragon is better coverage than Rock, dark, and dragon but without crunch the ability is worthless and it is helpless against things like Slowbro, Cofagrigus (rare, but it is there), and Dusknoir (which I have seen a surprisingly large amount of times. Earthquake lets it take out full health Heatran, Mega manetric, Magnezone, Lucario etc. Crunch is a stronger general move after strong jaw so for something you can't hit for neutrally effective damage with stab or you worry about stone miss it is better. (It acts like a stab move since it gets a 1.5x boost from strong jaw)
I don't understand why people immediately jump to Crunch. Fire Fang gives super effective coverage against the steel types that wall the Rock/Dragon combo so it should always be first choice IMO, and even then Earthquake would be my second choice.

I'm trying to build a support Tyrantrum on cart to counter the rampant Talonflame all over the meta right now. Since Rock Head is currently unavailable, I don't think I will be going with Head Smash. The core I am currently working on is this:

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 DEF
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Ice Fang/Fire Fang/Poison Fang/Crunch

Poison Fang has a 50% chance to apply Toxic and hits Fairies on the switch-in, so I thought it was worthy of mention here, since this set is primarily focused on SR support and shuffling. Ice Fang hits Gligar/Landorus-T/Garchomp really hard on the switch-in if these are sent in for their STAB Earthquake to KO. Both leave him walled by Steels, though. Earthquake hits Steels, but Fire Fang hits Scizor/Forretress/Ferrothorn/Skarmory for a lot more, while giving up some power/acc against other steels. Crunch hits Ghosts and Psychics hard and had really nice neutral coverage, and is the strongest BP coverage option for this slot.

I can find a reason to run all of these coverage moves, but I can only choose one. Anyone have suggestions on which is the best choice?
I don't think someone is going to switch his Talonflame into a Fairy-Type Pokémon in order to counter Tyrantrum. That makes sense when you are facing a Dragon-Flying Pokémon (like Physical Nite or Mence), because the only stab they can rely on is the Dragon type. That's not the case with Tyrantrum, who simply can spam an Stab Stone Edge aiming for the Talonflame, and dealing massive damage to the fairy who comes in.

Last edited:
Why are people trying sets that are impossible to get? Why are they even legal in showdown? These kind of things turn smogon into a pervertion of the game.

The lack of stabs that can abuse its ability is awful, so I was thinking of using a set with fire fang, ice fang, and maybe rock slide (stone edge misses 90% of the time if you use it in the real game and not in the pervertion so it's not reliable enough) and dragon dance. It lacks the earthquake coverage, but it gains the fire attack against ferrothorns which are everywhere, and I was also thinking of throwing in leftovers instead of life orb (since I'm going to be dragon dancing anyways).
*facepalm*

however, rock slide may net the same 2hkos anyway. has anyone done the calcs?

Hey guys pretty new to the forums but just thought I'd post up my Tyrantrum set because it seems to do me lots of good. He is a great partner for Mega Venasaur, since one of it's only weakness is flying types and he resists them pretty hard. I will usually switch into flying types to scare them out to either set up a DD to try and get a sweep or set up rocks, and if they decide to stay in you pretty much get a guaranteed KO with Head Smash since flying types are destroyed by it.

Tyrantrum
Item- Hard Stone/Life Orb
Nature- Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Fire Fang
Head Smash
Stealth Rocks
Dragon Dance

Just now making an account. No idea why considering I've used Smogon since I started playing competitively back in 08. Anyways, I think Tyrantrum is pretty awesome just because he's a Trex and that was my favorite dinosaur as a child lol. Back on subject, I just started wifi battles today and I'm 0/3 so far but my predictions are waaay off since I didn't play in B/W2.

Here is the Tyrantrum set I use:

Item- Air Balloon
Nature- Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4HP

Fire Fang
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Ice Fang

I've been using Tyrantrum on every team I made for gen6, and tried out a few sets..
But I think this was the most useful:

@ Leftovers / Expert Belt / maybe something else (Lum Berry? Wide Lens? Balloon?)
Jolly
252 speed, 252 attack, 4 def (or 128 atk/128 def (didn't calc anything, just wanted to split it up a bit))
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock

The 128 def one survived a Garchomp EQ with 5% HP remaining.

Well anyway. He seems like a Pokemon that can be switched in against some Pokemon who can't do much to him or he just treatens out. He can then put up Rocks for free and force a switch.
I tried a choice band set too, but being limited so much was annoying me.
With an Expert Belt and 252 atk he couldn't OHKO some Gliscors and other Pokemon, so I find it kind of useless to invest so much into his power when it isn't enough either way (except against some who don't invest in defense/HP too much).
Dragon Dance sets almost never worked out for me. He could set up, but there are so many scarfers and priority users that just make setting up useless unless you're able to take out all of them first, which isn't easy.. every time I used DD I just died or had to switch. I think it's really bad. I also tried to scarf him once. It was okay, but I like the above mentioned set the most, where he can switch moves, is SE on a lot of things with the fangs, and can set up rocks. And is even some kind of a wall, even if just a little and only for certain Pokemon. Only once he got beaten by a Bulk Up + Will o Wisp + Roost Talonflame though, which then swept my team. Burn+Roost+Bulk Up even made Stone Edge do almost nothing. That was only once though (not many run that set), all other times he either beat the Talfonflame or it switched out (somehow most people stay in and try to hit you though).

I've been wondering, if I wanted to make an Expert Belt set to take advantage of his Strong Jaw coverage options, what would the ideal set be? Obviously, you're angling for super effective hits to get the Belt boost, so you're not necessarily aiming for the best neutral coverage, which is the usual benchmark. Might Crunch be a superior coverage option on an Expert Belt set because it nails Ghosts and Psychics?

Something like this:

Tyrantrum @ Expert Belt
Ability: Strong Jaw
Nature: Adamant or Jolly?
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

This seems to be the mandatory set-up, but what about the last two moves + nature? Crunch hits Ghosts and Psychics, Thunder Fang hits Water types only (since Stone Edge hits Flying types harder) Ice Fang hits Dragons, Grass and Ground types (again, Flying is best handled by Stone Edge), Earthquake hits Rock, Electric and Heatran (Fire Fang handles most Steels and Stone Edge most Fires). Dragon Claw is basically outclassed by Ice Fang, which hits most relevant dragons harder and we're looking for maxing out SE hits here, not neutral coverage, so we've little use for a Dragon-type move. Finally, there's Dragon Dance as an option, which reduces your coverage but increases chances for a sweep and allows you to outspeed and OHKO certain threats. However, this being said, there are some switches where hitting the switch-in with a good prediction is far better than simply taking advantage of the free switch to DDance, like Scizor and Lucario who have SE priority to ruin Tyrantrum's day with.

From that, it looks to me like Ice Fang is the best choice for slot 3, and then you take either Crunch or Dragon Dance. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Too advance with Head Smash though its not even available yet. Why not try to focus with Strong Jaw first so trainers have more realistic ideas for the moment?

I've been wondering, if I wanted to make an Expert Belt set to take advantage of his Strong Jaw coverage options, what would the ideal set be? Obviously, you're angling for super effective hits to get the Belt boost, so you're not necessarily aiming for the best neutral coverage, which is the usual benchmark. Might Crunch be a superior coverage option on an Expert Belt set because it nails Ghosts and Psychics?

Something like this:

Tyrantrum @ Expert Belt
Ability: Strong Jaw
Nature: Adamant or Jolly?
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

This seems to be the mandatory set-up, but what about the last two moves + nature? Crunch hits Ghosts and Psychics, Thunder Fang hits Water types only (since Stone Edge hits Flying types harder) Ice Fang hits Dragons, Grass and Ground types (again, Flying is best handled by Stone Edge), Earthquake hits Rock, Electric and Heatran (Fire Fang handles most Steels and Stone Edge most Fires). Dragon Claw is basically outclassed by Ice Fang, which hits most relevant dragons harder and we're looking for maxing out SE hits here, not neutral coverage, so we've little use for a Dragon-type move. Finally, there's Dragon Dance as an option, which reduces your coverage but increases chances for a sweep and allows you to outspeed and OHKO certain threats. However, this being said, there are some switches where hitting the switch-in with a good prediction is far better than simply taking advantage of the free switch to DDance, like Scizor and Lucario who have SE priority to ruin Tyrantrum's day with.

From that, it looks to me like Ice Fang is the best choice for slot 3, and then you take either Crunch or Dragon Dance. Thoughts?
In my opinion, I'd take adamant nature. The reason is that i can maxed out attack (252) and then speed (252), recover the speed (due to adamant nature) with a single Rock Polish (+2). Then let Strong Jaw boost biting moves. Then let the wonders of Tyrantrum do the work lol...but its just completely my opinion..peace...

Last edited by a moderator:
Too advance with Head Smash though its not even available yet. Why not try to focus with Strong Jaw first so trainers have more realistic ideas for the moment?

In my opinion, I'd take adamant nature. The reason is that i can maxed out attack (252) and then speed (252), recover the speed (due to adamant nature) with a single Rock Polish (+2). Then let Strong Jaw boost biting moves. Then let the wonders of Tyrantrum do the work lol...but its just completely my opinion..peace...
Why even run the max speed if you're going to rock polish? You outspeed all non-scarf Garchomp variants after a Rock Polish and fail to outspeed jolly max speed Scarfchomp with max speed+neutral nature+Rock Polish.

Seems like you can move at least some of the speed investment into bulk. Looks like you can outspeed max speed ScarfTran with 124 EVs in speed, if I'm doing this right, leaving you some more HP EVs to further boost the dinosaur's already-nifty physical bulk...

Outrunning Scarftran on such a set only matters if you're carrying Earthquake... and since Fire Fang is too important for Ferro/Genesect/Scizor/Skarmory to give up, that means dropping Ice Fang and lowering your overall coverage, esp. vs. DNite, Chomp, Landorus and Gliscor. I'd rather just switch out to something that has extant special bulk and can scare Scarftran away, or run Earthquake in the Rock Polish slot and try to predict the switch, personally. Scarftran is unlikely to go for the fire move when it's 4x resisted and risk the Earthquake OHKO, so something like Skarmory would be a pretty safe switch in to force it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)