So what are we thinking of ol Palafin? I’ve messed around with Choice Band lately because most teams primary resist is often either the Box legends, one of which you can eat a hit and smack super effectively with Zen Headbutt (also smacks pex) and the other likes to tera into water-neutral types. Another thing thats good about it is that CB Wave Crash is a nuclear weapon. I don’t think I’ve even mentioned how good Jet Punch is either.
Having a 100% free out vs Flutter Mane is always good.
We run into the following conundrum:
Palafin-Hero @ Choice Band
Ability: Zero to Hero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Jet Punch
- Liquidation / Wave Crash (I think Liquidation is better personally, otherwise you trade with Corviknight at best/blow yourself up at worst)
- Ice Punch
- Flip Turn / Zen Headbutt
- Zen Headbutt is necessary to do ANY sort of damage to Pex, and the 2HKO is not extremely convincing (it's doing around 60%, but we need to fear Baneful Bunker and general switching out. You need to align some stars to make sure you don't have TSpikes or serious hazards on your side so you can double a couple time to whittle Pex down before you run out of juice).
- If you run Zen Headbutt, you give up serious momentum switching out early game. Against HO looking to Shed Tail/Screens/Hazard spam, that's often a serious concession.
- If you drop the secondary water move, you can't 2HKO Corviknight.
I find it ok. It's a weaker Dracovish with a little more utility and some different purposes. I ran a Palafin into Inder and ran Flip Turn thinking he wouldn't Pex me g1. I learned the hard way.
Annihilape @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
- Bulk Up
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch
Really cool set. When is Defiant used? You could maybe consider Inner Focus to deny desperation Chien-Pao or Chi-Yu flinches.
I've been enjoying a couple of mons and unmons in a meta I'm ambivalent about (it's alright but feels super volatile):
Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Disable / Thunder Wave / Reflect / Light Screen / Charm / Destiny Bond / run whatever man it's 2022
It can't be led into every suicide lead like Grimmsnarl (and you should usually avoid leading it against some Cyclizar cheese), but when it has the matchup, it REALLY has the matchup. Because you resist Glimmora's Mortal Spin, Taunt + Disable shenanigans are fun. General 4th move utility options are also very dandy.
Scizor @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
This mon is stupid and probably bad, but there's a certain enjoyment I get from having a free bail out from Flutter Mane, Chien Pao, and random weakened sweepers in general. U-Turn allows you to keep up important momentum because, uh,
252+ Atk Life Orb Scizor Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge: 159-187 (38.5 - 45.3%)
why did game freak make this shit man
Wo-Chien @ Leftovers
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
- Knock Off
- Stun Spore / Taunt
- Leech Seed
I don't have an EV spread I would consider optimized, but this is REALLY annoying. You can choose between paraspam to perform later-on paraspam moments and Taunt to shut down Corviknight (you are naturally faster which is surprising because this looks like a MF snail), Pex, Ting-Lu, etc.
Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Tera Blast
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge: 447-528 (108.4 - 128.1%)
UH OH (you do require a necessary Tera Fire which is a lil' undesirable but you got this far the remaining mons aren't no S+)
Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 228 HP / 124 Def / 156 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt
name ya fat counter besides Peli (the user not zf's