SPOILERS! Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon In-Game Team Thread

Which mons should be used if you just want to breeze through the main game?
Popplio is as good as ever

Hawlucha is fantastic, specially the ingame trade one, an NPC trades it for a Spearow in the Pokemon Center right before the Normal type trial

It pretty much invalidates the first and second island by itself with little support

wingull is borked as ever, especially now with fake tear support from zorua

Inkay gets foul play at a whopping level of 8 which can keep destroying everything physical well until it evolves

I haven't played the new games, but Magnemite is presumably even more (or just as) useful since you can evolve Magneton at Blush Mountain now. Its encounter rate at the school has been nerfed to 10 percent though IIRC.

I haven't played the new games, but Magnemite is presumably even more (or just as) useful since you can evolve Magneton at Blush Mountain now. Its encounter rate at the school has been nerfed to 10 percent though IIRC.
So you don't have to wait until Vast Poni Canyon to evolve Zone/Probopass/Vikavolt? Great, now Vikavolt is much more viable. Gives me a new option on my team if true.

Is Crabominable still a ridiculously late game evolution availability wise?

So you don't have to wait until Vast Poni Canyon to evolve Zone/Probopass/Vikavolt? Great, now Vikavolt is much more viable. Gives me a new option on my team if true.

Is Crabominable still a ridiculously late game evolution availability wise?
I'm pretty sure you can now enter a small part of Mt. Lanakila when you first pass it and evolve it then, but I don't know if that's 100 percent confirmed.

Posted a while ago, but made some alterations to the team, and felt like reposting it with some more information.

The team: https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-t...chkrow+lycanroc-dusk+lurantis+ninetales-alola

First up, Primarina: I used Decidueye in Moon, so I decided to use the Water-type starter this time around. Plus a huge issue in Moon I had was lack of decent special attackers, and Primarina will fix this problem.
Second up, Lycanroc-Dusk: I used Lycanroc-Midnight in Moon, but I fell in love with Dusk's design the moment I saw it and having it be an event Pokemon basically makes it a secondary pseudo-Starter Pokemon.
Third up, Honchkrow: I've actually never used a Honchkrow before, casual or competitive. I wanted to use one in Platinum when it came out, but I completely forgot to check where you catch them and ended up using something else entirely, so I'll be using him in Ultra Sun and having a Dark-type won't hurt.
Fourth up, Arcanine: I really love this Pokemon and I wanted to use it in Moon when it came out, but whenever a new generation comes out I always stuck with that generation's Pokemon until the remakes or third version game came out, so I'll be using Arcanine this time around.
Fifth up, Lurantis: Right. This is the oddball of the team. I originally planned on picking up Drampa as my final Pokemon, but I completely forgot that the datamined info was from Ultra Moon and Drampa is exclusive to the Moon games so I just randomly picked a Grass-type Pokemon and remembered Lurantis exists on the second island. Plus Lurantis covers a bit of my team's weaknesses. Kind of.
Finally, Alolan-Ninetales: I had Moon, so I was unable to use Alolan-Ninetales because I got stuck with the version exclusive nonsense and didn't want to trade for one, so now that I'll be getting Ultra Sun, you bet I'll be using this Pokemon.

Overall, this team has a huge weakness to Poison and Rock-types with smaller weakness to a lot of random types, but I've always built my casual teams/first playthrough teams like this. I enjoy having obvious weaknesses to certain types to give it a little more difficulty. I'm pretty happy with this team.

Honestly, I planned to breed some of the Pokemon before and send them as baby Lv1s into my Ultra Sun soon. My team would already be predetermined instead of picking from the journey, since I want to do a fresh "unique type challenge", so... I have had bred some of them. Thankfully, most had already been available in Moon, with little bit of exceptions, but anyway....

Obviously, I'll start with them at Lv1, just hatched from the eggs before getting transferred to U-Sun.
I want to try this since I'll love trying as many unique dual-types as possible, making so many colours in my team.

Pokemon Ultra Sun: Twilight Rune
+ Raiya, AloRaichu (Ele/Psy): The cute mascot to foil Lusamine's Clefable. I might want to reapply Electric Shock instead of Thunderbolt in the beginning since having suddenly bolting Pichu would probably be not fun at all, despite TM for it being available postgame last time I played Moon. I just have to remember to keep it a Pikachu until I get that Thunderbolt. And I know life is hell for anyone weak to Dark in Alola but....
+ Neptune, Primarina (Wtr/Fay), starter. The beautiful Water-type to foil Milotic. I hope I don't need to soft-reset for whatnots, but... eh, male is OK. Just undecided on the name, and I hope she won't be way too powerful in story. Name is actually still undecided, not yet figured other better nautical names....
+ Rosalind, Roserade (Grs/Psn), Princess Grass-type to foil Liligant. Comes with Fire Hidden Power, but I'll also limit her moves. Leaf Storm or Giga Drain at start maybe OP too.
+ Yukino, Frosslass (Ice/Gst), mysterious Ghost-type to foil Mismagius. Also with Fire HP for no reason. Limiting with no Ice-move for the start?
+ Lyon, Lycanroc (Roc), event Rockruff. This one's interesting, its design has warmed over me now. Hoping for female one, so I can name her after the knight girl from Suikoden V who will hold the Twilight Rune (hence my run's title).
+ Mimi/Minami?, Loppunny (Nrm), my MegaPokemon of choice, and the strength Normal to foil Bewear. I rarely used Mega-Evolution in story before, so this is good time to try it out, assuming Mega-Evos are accessible midstory (I don't know yet if it is, I just heard rumours that it is, but better not get spoiler now).

All of them will be female. Except Primarina if I'm too lazy to soft reset to get one. I'll prioritise nature more than gender, it's meaningless while I can't have her in Dive Ball.
I may want to bring backup though, such as an Umbreon, or if I have time, a Flygon. Want to try using them too.

And no matter the circumstances, I'll be bringing Moon's Lunala (Nebby herself) in the very last showdown to teach Sakaki and his sorry Mewtwo some good nightmare.

I made this team, though it took alot more thought than i expected
https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/#primarina zoroark noivern ampharos milotic blaziken
I just need someone to tell me if i can get all of these mons in pokemon ultra sun.
I remember that in the original Sun and Moon you had to wait til Exeggutor Island in order to evolve Feebas, but I'm not sure if this has changed. Blaziken is Island Scan on Akala Island. Ampharos is near the beginning of Akala, and Zoro and Noivern are available decently.

I remember that in the original Sun and Moon you had to wait til Exeggutor Island in order to evolve Feebas, but I'm not sure if this has changed. Blaziken is Island Scan on Akala Island. Ampharos is near the beginning of Akala, and Zoro and Noivern are available decently.
Thanks for the help, when the game comes out i'm going to look at evolving milotic if i can't evolve it earlyish in the game i'll try florges instead

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
(...) Lycanroc is something I will SR the second I get the game, and transfer over to my moon to ev train and put it back. (...)
Pretty sure you can't trade the Rockruff/Lycanroc over to Sun/Moon, since that form isn't in the data of those games.
Even as a Rockruff it's technically considered a different form in the data.

edit: added spoiler tag just in case

Thanks for the help, when the game comes out i'm going to look at evolving milotic if i can't evolve it earlyish in the game i'll try florges instead
You could actually get Prism Scales in Ula'ula island by Fishing in the original SM. Earliest spot would be Malie Garden. Not sure how rare they are exactly, but I got 1 or 2 while looking for a Bruxish once so I don't think they're that rare. Still kind of a long time to be using Feebas, but it's better than Poni Island, at least. No idea if earlier Prism Scales were added to USUM.

You could actually get Prism Scales in Ula'ula island by Fishing in the original SM. Earliest spot would be Malie Garden. Not sure how rare they are exactly, but I got 1 or 2 while looking for a Bruxish once so I don't think they're that rare. Still kind of a long time to be using Feebas, but it's better than Poni Island, at least. No idea if earlier Prism Scales were added to USUM.
i've never really liked fishing, i think i'll just stick with florges

And also:

T'Challa (Incineroar): I played Moon first, and I chose Martha the Popplio. Then in Sun I used Conner Hawke the Rowlet. It's about time I gave Litten some love :)
Serenity (Vikavolt): I actually used a Charjabug for a bit in Moon, until I got my hands on a Togedemaru, and so I feel that it's about time I really gave this bug its due.
Scottie/Rahne (Lyccanroc-Dusk): I actually really love the look of Dusk Form Lycanroc, and it's a good fit given how slow the rest of my team is. I also seldom ever use Rock-Types in-game, so it'll be a nice change of pace.
Buffy (Oricorio): I have it displayed as P'au Form Oricorio, but I'll be catching a Pom Pom Form one to start, and will be switching Forms regularly to match up better against various Trainers/Totems. I just chose to display P'au because it fits my team comp best, but I'll be defaulting back to Pom Pom once I'm done with her.
Trippy (Shiinotic): I think Shiinotic is cute, in a bizarre and unsettling way. Also, I feel like this poor thing is under-appreciated, so I'm showing it some love.
Quill (Toxapex): I've put it off this long, so I'm finally doing it; I'll find a Regenerator Mareanie, I don't care how long it takes!
Kurai (Kommo-o): The real final member of my team. I really want to use a Kommo-o, especially now that Clangorus Soulblaze is a thing. That said, it's not available until late game, so Buffy will be standing in for her until the time comes (and even then she'll probably stand down for Mina's Trial). She'll also help even out my team's Rock weakness, just in time for the E4.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

You may be thinking: "what the hell is this?!" Let me explain!

Since this is the last Pokemon game on the DS family of consoles, I realized this will be the last time I go through a Pokemon game fresh with my old Palkia stylus that I got from my Pokemon Pearl preorder over a decade ago! I started out on Smogon as a gen 4 Ubers player almost 9 years ago now, so this team reflects that with 3 gen 4 mons, an then a rep for each DS gen after that!

Thanks to Dream Radar (and that ancient Arceus event from HGSS in Giratina's case), these Pokemon will all low leveled. Except for Araquanid, whom I'm gonna soft reset the totem version of.

They're all gonna be named after people I've interacted with here in my 9 years here or so too!

Giratina-O: named after Jibaku , my mentor and Smogon brother from another mother!

Dialga: named after bojangles , another old Uber pal (used to even lead the tier!) that's been MIA for a long time :(

Palkia: named after Colonel M . This is in honor of that old gen 4 Palkia Dual Weather set (which this Palkia will be based off of), + you're an old C&C pal whose still around!

Sheer Force Landorus: named after Sweep , another former Uber leader. I was thinking about naming him after shrang too since I remember how much you "liked" Landorus, but I needed to rep a gen 5 player somehow, sorry! Also, this Landorus will have Life Orb and Earth Power, so it'll sweep the game too :P

Aegislash (will start out as Honedge): named after cant say . Gen 6 is when I transitioned from an Uber player to a battle spot player, and Aegislash is so assicated with this user that it'd be weird if I named him after anything else!

Totem-Like Araquanid: No idea which Battle Spot player I'll name after this.. yet! I figure since it takes a bit less damage from Celesteela's Heavy Slam, I might as well SR for this. If totem Kommo-O is obtainable however, I may go for that and replace Araquanid lol

Oh and if it wasn't obvious enough: yes I know this team will fucking WRECK in-game. This is intentional, since I wanna get competitive goodies like Mega Evolution and the new UBs asap for battle spot laddering. I'm not expecting ingame to put up much of a fight to this team, so that is the secondary purpose of doing this: to blast through ingame and break it in deliciously absurd ways!

Last edited:
This is the team I'm planning to use for US:
https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/#malamar dugtrio-alola mawile-mega lycanroc-dusk octillery torterra

Rowlett -> Torterra: I had already used the Rowlett line in my Moon game, but I just can't get myself to like Incineroar and I would prefer avoiding having two water types in my team, so I'm stuck with Rowlett again.
However this time the Turtwig line is available via Island Scan and Torterra is one of my favourites. Since we're probably not having a gen IV remake for a while, I'm planning to replace my starter with it.

Lycanroc: Initially I wasn't planning to use it, but having it sit in the box forever without being used makes no sense, so it'll be the second member of my team. I'll probably SR for one with jolly nature in case I'll bottle cap its stats in future.

Malamar: I've never used one of these, and contrary seems a really cool ability to exploit random status mooves the AI throws at me. Also Topsy-Turvy could prove to be really useful against totem fight, to remove their stat boost.

Dugtrio: I like the Diglett line and I haven't used the Alola form yet, so this just felt like a natural addition to the team.

Mawile: Mawile is one of my favourites and I haven't used it since before it got its Fairy typing. Also if Megas are available before postgame this will be the mega for my team.

Octillery: I've never used Octillery before, and due to its wide movepool it'll probably be interesting. I'm also planning to SOS chain it, in order to get a Remoraid with Moody. Depending on the boosts it gets this thing is either going to carry me or have me get wrecked by a random trainer. It's gonna be fun.

Excluding Torterra, my team will be completed in the first island. Probably not the best assembled team due to having 3 fire and 3 ground weaknesses, but for an in game team it should be good enough.

Last edited:

I wanted to use a completely different team from my Sun team. Rowlet was my starter previously so I decided to go with Popplio this time since it was my 2nd favorite.

I have yet to completely put together a complete team of six for me to use in Ultra Sun, but I'm working on it. At first I was thinking a mono-Dark playthrough, but with so many cool Pokémon being added, and Ultra Beasts being available earlier... Well, right now, the team's looking to include Primarina, Noivern, Houndoom, and Nihilego. I gave very serious consideration to Naganadel, but I intend to SR for a competitive Poipole in Ultra Sun, and also I wanted to use Noivern and Nihilego as well. I'll use Naganadel in Ultra Moon when I do a mono-Poison team. But yeah, still trying to think of two more members of the team. Ideally with no type overlap, either.

EDIT: Right now, the team is looking to be Primarina, Crabominable, Noivern, Houndoom, Dhelmise, and Nihilego.

Last edited:
um.png

obviously not ideal from a weaknesses perspective, but I'm figuring that Grass will be fine with an immunity (Sap Sipper Drampa) and a x4 resist (Crobat), and Fighting will be fine with two Ghosts and x4 resist that can be switched in. Ice is a problem, but... there's not that many in Alola!

All 'mons that I adore that I haven't used in a long time, or didn't get around to in SM. Sand Stream gives nice synergy to Palossand and Omastar, and I might toss Trick Room onto Mimikyu to help Palossand and Drampa out.

I'm planning on using Ekans and Murkrow, but otherwise I'm just going to see what I encounter that's interesting/different.

The real question is, is anyone here crazy enough to Nuzlocke their first run?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)