Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Crawdaunt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Switcheroo

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Toxic

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt

I wanted to build around Choice Specs Crawdaunt. It is an underrated set that hits extremely hard; its damage output is even naturally bigger than Primarina's. It also lures in physical walls like Swampert for its teammates. I paired it with SD Z-U-turn Scizor because it is a pivot that also appreciates Crawdaunt's breaking power. I liked the idea of spamming pivots on that team, so I added the core of Infernape + Mega Manectric. They also really help the team with the Scizor matchup. Lastly, I needed a Pokemon that could take hits, clear away hazards, be immune to Ground-type moves, and not lose momentum. Then, the idea of Stealth Rock U-turn Gligar came to me and I added it (I swear I used this set before anybody else did, in this gen UU at least lol :[). Gligar's EVs could probably be changed to the standard one, I made this team before there was a standard spread for Gligar. Lastly, I needed a Toxic Spikes absorber that could set up Stealth Rock. Nihilego was the perfect pick here.

Sorry for not going too in-depth with the explanation, I hope that'll be enough!

Hi again everyone! We currently have a tie between Amane Misa and Sage's teams. Since my time management skills are sorely lacking, it's currently 5 AM my time at the time of this post; so in the interest of both my laziness and having the fairest vote possible, I'll update this with the new week when I wake up (probably about 6 or 7 hours from now). Throw in your votes for either Misa or Sage please!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Looks like Sage has pulled a victory from this one! Congratulations, friend!

-----------------------------------------------------------
We've already done this Pokemon, but back when we did it, it was honestly not anywhere near as great as it is now. Nihilego is now one of the tier's best Flying-resistant Pokemon, and it's also an incredibly good entry hazard setter. It's got a LOT of tools up its sleeve that allow it to easily fit on teams despite its poor physical bulk and Steel weakness, so I'm expecting another strong week from y'all! Let's give it up for Nihilego 2!

Submissions are due by Saturday. Thanks in advance!​

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
1537408085806.png
1537408112540.png
1537408128768.png
1537408179099.png
1537408162395.png
1537408197265.png
https://pokepast.es/e6238fa84c08f31b
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-396372 snake vs Sage

Building Process
When I started building this team, the core I had in mind featured two of my favorites in Tsareena and Nihilego. Though I originally planned for them to be running Choice Band and an entry hazard respectively, I like the direction this team naturally took. Anyway, the loose concept of the two together was that Tsareena's most consistent switch-ins are Flying-types like Togekiss and whatnot, you know, the things Nihilego abuses. Tsareena + Moltres was something I had wanted to try for a long time and it seemed to do well here. Moltres abuses bulky steels like Mega Aggron/Mega Steelix whatever else, while providing a clear wincon in the form of its Flyinium Z Agility set, taking advantage of Tsareena and Nihilego's ability to wear some stuff like Empoleon down or simply get rid of mons like Rhyperior. Next up is the perennial Tsareena partner, Klefki. I needed to compress a bit defensively into one slot, and Klefki did just that, giving me a Steel and a way of reliably handling Dragons. Its spikes paired really well with the first three as well, as Tsareena can U-turn on everything, getting Nihilego and Moltres into great spots while more easily chipping down their miscellaneous answers. TWave also does TWave things, slowing down goons for my mostly middling Speed team to this point. Scarf Hydreigon is amazing and it's kind of self explanatory here, but it gave me the revenge killer I really needed and played nicely into the Spikes + momentum based concept I had settled upon. For the last slot I desperately needed another answer to fighting goons, as well as a Ground-type to help shut down Mega Mane. Palossand may look a little out of place on something more offensive like this, but it's the only Pokemon in the universe that crosses off both of those huge needs and gave me a bit more stability defensively. Its rocks also freed up a moveslot on Nihilego, so that's always fun.

Random Details
First off, I obviously elected for a Rapid Spin variant of Tsareena as my main avenue of hazard control next to Moltres. Lum Berry was the item of choice because it really eased my matchup vs Empoleon throwing out Toxic and other waters freely clicking Scald. Like I said, Nihilego had a free moveslot, and the safest option was Protect, ensuring its role on this team as a more unpredictable utility attacker type thing. It could scout out scarf Krookodiles, CB Scizors, and other choice mons, allowing Nihilego to play around them accordingly. I used something different in the game which is a secret and didn't get revealed but overall Protect seems to be the best. Klefki had a couple options in its last moveslot as well, and I ultimately elected for Magnet Rise to make playing around Ground-types like Mamoswine, Krookodile, and Hippowdon less awkward. Palossand is EV'd to live Mega Manectric super effective Hidden Power into Overheat. It needs a p decent chunk of Special Defense investment because I chose Colbur Berry over the passive recovery offered by Leftovers, which was due to that fact that Krookodile was a bitch to switch into if rocks were up.
e: Hydreigon has defog because nothing else was particularly needed and having double removal next Moltres is cool.

Heracross.png
1537605768255.png
Suicune.png
Manectric.png
(MEGA)
1537605986589.png
Gligar.png

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

I have wanted to build with Heracross and Nihilego for the LONGEST time, since Nihilego is such a massive oppressor to the various pokemon like Pidgeot-M, Moltres, Rotom-H, and many more that outspeed and try to aim their flying or fire moves Heracross' way. And it can consistently keep Stealth Rocks up against teams with shakier Heracross checks like the defensive variants of Moltres and Crobat. Next up, we have Suicune. It's the team's Primary check against Mega Aerodactyls, Mamoswines, some waters and fires, and the team's secondary check against Scizors. Next up is the team's PRIMARY check against Scizors, the Mighty Morphing Mega Manectric. We all know and love this obnoxious Volt Switch spamming electric type. It serves as the team's check to certain threats, a strong pivot to let Heracross into the game, and general speed control with it's high speed. Cause sometimes, some teams try to do a scarfer's job with a fast Mega and a priority user. And there's the transition into the priority user. Klefki is here to be the team's bastion against many dragons like Latias and Hydreigon, while stacking spikes to make Heracross even HARDER to switch on and spreading priority status. Consisting of either Toxic to wear down certain threats or Thunder Wave to ensure Heracross can outspeed and smash normally speedy mons. Last up, a Gligar. It's another strong pivot with U-turn to let Heracross in. It's also a massive nuisance to the Musketeers, Cobalion and Terrakion, and a momentum suck for enemy Manectric. And if needed, it can defog for the team. Anyways, I hope you like the team! I had a lot of fun trying to build with this one!

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
1537645548257.png
1537645541380.png
1537645523254.png
1537645519067.png
1537645512217.png
1537645530972.png

https://pokepast.es/66dc8c03a105d1d2

Talonflame + Blastoise offense with a Sciz + Lati backbone and Krook + Nihilego hazard core. Scarf HW Lati is big for allowing Talonflame to serve as an early game check to stuff like Sciz/Nape and speed control for Mega Manectric which otherwise beats the majority of this team. SD Superpower Scizor is used because I despise being walled by Empoleon. Nihilego lays Toxic Spikes which are super useful in whittling bulky Water-types for Talonflame, and its typing serves are a check to Pidge/Molt/Prim which otherwise fire of STAB attacks freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)