Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Votes are in, and vivalospride won this week by a fair margin, congrats!

So, next on the plate will be Tsareena. Upon release of USUM, Tsareena was gifted a great tool in Power Whip that brought attention back to it after it fell under the radar early on. With its ability Queenly Majesty, it has the nifty the capability of stopping annoying priority like (Choice Band) Scizor's Bullet Punch and Klefki's various status moves. With access to Rapid Spin it is also bound to bring some decent utility to any team it's added to, being able to remove hazards while keeping Ghost-types like Jellicent off the field with its extremely strong Knock Offs and Power Whips. Once again, get your posts in by Saturday!

1538480864740.png
1538480874394.png
1538480887764.png
1538480899232.png
1538480909478.png
1538480918349.png

Tsareena @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Knock Off

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 16 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Here, we have a nearly full voltturn team. I wanted to use the Band Tsareena since it can be such a scary breaker in the right conditions. Next, we have Gligar. Gligar is here to reply to the Musketeers and Mega Manectric in one slot, while being a rocker, and not losing offensive momentum. Next up, is Beedrill. I really wanted to use Beedrill + Tsareena. Since nearly all of Beedrill's best switchins like Hippowdon and Palossand are utter Tsareena food, or Rotom Food if they're attempting to check the Bee with a steel over a ground. I also just think the Bee in general is really underrated after Gliscor's departure. I wanted a reply to the various flyings and Scizors in the tier, so I used Rotom-H. It's also the hazard remover since I wanted Tsareena to go full breaker. Next up, we have Klefki. it replies to the various Hydreigons and Latias milling about the tier. It sets spikes to rack up hazard damage on all the momentum induced switches caused by the voltturning, and helps Beedrill-Mega speed control. Lastly, I wanted a water resist that wasn't absolute scald bait. And some kind of win condition outside of spamming Voltturn. I decided on Latias since Infernape looked like somewhat of a pest to this team, especially the nasty plot variant.

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Raikou.pngNidoqueen.pngTsareena.pngMega_Altaria.pngMoltres.pngEmpoleon.png
Self Control (Raikou) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Mine (Nidoqueen) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Steady (Tsareena) @ Miracle Seed
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

I’m A Mess (Altaria-Mega) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Grace (Moltres) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Pillow (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Protect

I built this team around Raikou + TSpikes Nidoqueen rather than tsareena, but she made a great addition to the team. The original version of the team featured banded tsareena, blastoise, cobalion and had a couple other differences but overall was lati weak. This version however makes good use of 3 attack defensive malt which is a potent threat right now as well as support tsareena. Hogg’s VR post on the malt set is what really convinced me to have hazard removal on tsareena instead of malt. Moltres was a clear choice due to how well it goes with both tsareena and malt, especially considering I didn’t have flamethrower on Nidoqueen for Scizor (cobalion ran sr for the team intially). Empoleon was added last for a more durable flying resist, a Dragon answer before malt megas, and an additional hazard remover for Moltres. I went with shadow ball instead of hyper beam on Raikou to still nail lati without a boost. Malt handles Scarf Krook very easily so raikou losing the ability to ohko krook switching in wasn’t that bad.

Last edited:
The Tale of the Tsareena Fat Balance
Royal Princess (Tsareena) @ Rose Incense
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- U-turn

(Rose Incense>Miracle Seed and Meadow Plate)

Inventive Builder (Palossand) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Toxic

Support Whore (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Mighty Beast (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

10,000 Needles (Pyukumuku) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Soak
- Toxic
- Recover

Infinite Tower (Stakataka) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower

(before you ask yes the Staka spread was purposely made like this to boost its defense and it works quite nicely)

Welcome fellow Smogoners! I shall recite a story!
It is one that is filled with fame and glory!
Of the Princess Tsareena that rallied a team.
That would be utter fatness and chaos for any opponent to dream.

Once upon the land of UnderUsed, there resided the royal princess.
The ideal woman of splendor and beauty to anyone with any sense.
She would call upon the kingdom to offer many guardians.
That can shield her from the dragons and the red steeled barbarians.

Soon enough a builder would present himself with awe and glee.
As he finally found a service to the princess if need be.
He could set up the floating stones and block the blades of corrupt justice.
And any other physical blows that surround and encompass.

Now the princess required aid that could complete the core.
So she summoned the medic often referred to as the support whore.
She could absorb the statuses and support was her job.
As the builder prevented the blows of the noble Terrakion and Coballion to strike the pink blob.

Soon enough the dragon of the kingdom was kept at the toll.
That it would be the one and only speed control.
It pivoted and always knew what it took.
To make sure it slaughtered those crooked Krooks.

The 5th member at first seemed quite useless.
But the creature itself was nowhere near fruitless.
It traps and is so Unaware.
That it could slowly kill its foes with a Toxic if it dared.

Now a princess and a tower must always coexist.
And not just because the team desperately needed a Flying resist.
It wore a vest that could handle the mightiest of blasts.
To retaliate back and boost its defenses quite fast.

So now the team was assembled as the princess stormed across the land.
With the bulkiest of teams walking, hand in hand.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Building Process
Ay, back with more Tsareena goonery. This was a version I made way back in UUPL, then remade by accident recently when I was messing around with Tsareena Moltres again. This version will obviously have the changes I made for the current meta. Tsareena + Moltres stuck out as a good combo at the time given the rise of Rhyperior and other bird countermeasures, mons taken advantage of by CB Tsareena. Klefki, the perennial Tsareena partner, is back to get down more spikes and lure in Empoleon and goons to hand Tsareena free turns to kill stuff or get teammates in good positions. Like I said, this team was originally made during the Rhyperior wave when everyone was extra paranoid of birds given their rise, but I still liked its fit here. It gave me a rocker with a good amount of offensive presence, while obviously covering birds and acting as the team's primary tank to random moves. Hey look, another common bulky offense Tsareena partner. Scarf Hydreigon gave me some much needed immediate Speed, as well as a momentum grabbing partner for Tsareena. Lastly, I really wanted to fit spin on this team and preferably not on Tsareena, so it was looking like Mega Blastoise or Starmie. I opted for Starmie, as I wanted more immediate Speed alongside my lone Scarf Hydreigon, and Starmie also provided a secondary Cobalion countermeasure which was really threatening with rocks up.

Random Details
I can finally use Choice Band on Tsareena again since I have other means of hazard removal, and here it acts as the teams primary physical breaker. Much of the team is special attackers that struggle in breaking past some specially bulky goons so it's especially appreciated. With Tsareena to break its answers in combination with hazards, Agility Moltres seemed like a pretty easy pick. I definitely needed Roost on this Moltres too as opposed to a specs set so it could consistently check Scizor and Mega Altaria, so that worked out nicely too. My Mamo switch-ins don't exist so Magnet Rise looked like the move in Klefki's last slot. Rhyperior has 16+ Defense to aid it in dealing with stuff like Mega Aerodactyl and other miscellaneous physical attacks. Toxic hits bulky waters like Alomomola or Swampert that can potentially cripple Tsareena with various status conditions. Secondary removal is nice and I'm fine against Cobalion so Defog seemed favorable on Hydreigon. I didn't have a Z-move left for Starmie, which would be nice for stomaching Krookodile hits and reliably revenge killing Scizor, but Colbur let me accomplish the former so I went with it.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Congratulations Pak, you've won this week with your cool team again!!

Pak - all of them but two
BackAtYouBro - 2

As a reminder, winning forum projects like this one now gives points towards the new rewards system as seen here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...tournament-project-guide.3591789/post-7929469
So I hope this helps us get bigger turnouts, eh?

-----------------------------------------

This was probably pretty predictable. Zeraora has made a big splash in the tier as the one drop that hasn't been banned yet, and it's certainly cemented itself as one of if not the best electrics in UU. Its versatility in teambuilding is almost as great as its set versatility, so get rolling!
Teams are due by Saturday!

Zeraora @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 112 Atk / 204 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

Latias @ Psychium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 104 HP / 248 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Here we go, the first week with UU's new toy Zeraora. With amazing speed, great offensive stats, and a great movepool there are so many things Zera can do, and it abused spikes very well in my opinion. Zeraora is a mixed pivot with volt switch, to get away from mons it cant beat, grass knot to hit ground types, plasma fists as stab, and close combat as a way to hit steel, normal and dark types that could beat it. Next is Chesnaught, our spiker of choice. Bulky grass type that can check zeraora, get up spikes, and beat a lot of things such as krook, crawdaunt, and chip many physical attackers with Rocky Helmet. Synthesis for recovery, and stabs to get rid of some of its passiveness. Next we have Diancie, our rocker and the second part to our defensive backbone of the team. Stealth rocks, stabs, and heal bell to get rid of annoying status. Next we added Latias, the sweeper of choice. Calm mind allows lati to boost its special attack and special defense, good bulky, good speed, we know what this does. Next we have Mega Blastoise, the most interesting choice. I wanted hazard removal, but i didnt feel Starmie or Tentacruel cut it due to the way it stacked weaknesses I already had, so I continued to look and found blastoise which seemed like the perfect choice, a great mix of offensive power and bulk which just was a great addition. Last we have Scizor, u-turn to form a pivoting core with Zeraora, Bullet Punch for priority and stab, pursuit to trap things, superpower to hit steels, standard set. I'm really proud of how this team turned out and I think it's a really cool take on spike stack in the new meta.

Click on the team to see the export !
Since I'm a big fan of Bulk Up Z-Bounce Zeraora, I've decided to build on it. The spread isn't special, I just put enough EVs in Speed to outspeed Manectric-Mega. The remaining EVs are in HP to give a little bit of extra-Bulk to Zeraora. Z-Bounce allows Zeraora to nuke Amoonguss which is a pain in the ass for its teammate : Altaria-Mega.
Then we have DD Altaria-Mega which is pretty damn good atm in my opinion. I run Adamant over Jolly because I don't really need to outspeed smth special and even Jolly +1 is outspeeded by Beedrill-Mega.
Rotom-H is my Defogger and my best answer to Scizor, I've decided to run Pain Split over Toxic or WoW because Iapapa Berry (nor Leftovers) isn't enough in the long term.
Krookodile is my Choice Scarf user and bring more Speed to the team while being able to Pursuit Trap some threats. Superpower is there to catch Hydreigon on the switch-in.
Latias CM Z-DM is my lowcost Latios (RIP dude we won' t forget you). I opted for HP Fire over Revover because fuck Scizor and without Scizor Altaria-Mega can be a a huge threat for the opponent.

Last but no least, we got Nidoqueen which is a really good Pokemon and one of the best way to deal with Zeraora in my opinion. Enough speed to outspeed Adamant Scizor and OHKO it with Flamethrower.

The team is really fun to use, you can opt for Facade over Return on Altaria-Mega or Refresh over Earthquake. Both of them are good. Hope you will like the team :]

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
448.png807.png635.pngpasted image 0.png334-m.png146.png
https://pokepast.es/76b9a18555b419af

I decided to build around NP lucario and Z Bounce Zera. Scarf hydra was to help with scarf chandy, shuca coba dealt with aero well while providing rocks, fat malt handled lati, zera, scarf krook, aero after mega, and could kill nihilego on the switch, finally i had molt to reliably deal with scizor. having both hydra and malt meant molt could be well supported with dual defog too. Hydra molt and coba all being able to pivot can help luke and zera a lot as well. Wide lens on molt bluffs the z while giving me the option to run roost.

Last edited:

Zeraora @ Steelium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Togekiss @ Charti Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Rotom-Mow @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Here comes a mighty warrior! Zeraora! So unlike everyone else using Z-Bounce, I decided to use a Z-Iron Tail Zeraora so that it can eliminate Mega Altaria for Crawdaunt and open up a sweep. Next up on my list is a Ground immunity so Togekiss was right for the job as it also checked Krookodile and Hydreigon all in one slot. I’m actually using the Charti T-Wave Togekiss set to lure in Mega Aerodactyl which makes Mega Aerodactyl unreliable in revenge killing Zeraora if I decide to sweep with the Super Saiyan Furry. Next up is interestingly enough a Specs Chandelure. I needed another Scizor answer that wasn’t Zeraora and a Pokémon that has a great amount of initial power so this powerhouse sufficed. I swear no one uses Specs Chandy and uses Sub CM so firing off an Energy Ball throws so many people off guard. Next up, was getting my hazard setter and remover. Mega Steelix was chosen as it compressed a Flying resist, Electric immunity and overall is a lot of fun to use when I don’t want to play with Mega Aggron. Rotom-Mow is the final mon on the team. I do know that it’s rather frowned upon to stack Electrics but Levitate mitigates that statement. I needed hazard removal that was also a Hippowdon answer so I went with the same spread that Bulky Heattom uses atm. I also have Will-o-wisp to burn pesky Scizors and to gain a “defense” boost.

This competition is definitely improving my teambuilding and this really feels like one of the most intricate builds I’ve ever created. It can only improve from here.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Starting with a zera + scizor core, the idea was sd bug z scizor could be a wincon while also pivoting on shit like moltres and getting zera free reign to click shit and hurt shit w/ it's coverage. Hydreigon came next for speed control and to deal with ghosts while also providing a u-turn core with Scizor. Nidoqueen came next as the main volt blocker and it improves the zera/terrak m/us specifically a lot. Nidoq is also cool with drei b/c of it's ability to rock all over fairies which drei pivots out of, I also liked tspikes chip + zera clicking shit... sounded neat. Bulky prima came thru as the main answer to shit like daunt, hydreigon, mega shark, etc etc. It's also something that's capable of switching into shit like Hippo while also actually being able to break it, unlike the vast majority of the team. Rotom-H is here as the defogger in the last slot and makes this team able to sort of classify as elec spam, I was skeptical about it but then I said fuck it and it's worked out so far as a primary burd switch in. This team has a sort of iffy lati matchup but it's definitely doable with bulky roost sciz, prima, toxic from rotom, and zera being able to outspeed w/ knock... as well as drei ig. Also, yes ik the zera sprite doesn't work and idgaf.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)