Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small pool of votes this week but Smallsmallrose is our clear winner this time around, congrats!

For the big ol five-zero we're gonna whip out Rotom-Heat as the choice of the week. Sporting a unique typing as well as Levitate, it brings a decent mix of rare defensive and offensive coverages, such as being able to annoy Scizor-, Mamoswine-, and Manectric-dependent cores, while being able to also force out a variety of opposing defensive pivots such as Amoonguss and Aggron. Some teams find themselves ill prepared to take on an Electric-type with an annoyingly powerful, potentially Z-boosted Overheat. As icing on the cake, its access to Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave / Discharge, and great neutral coverage with potential Hidden Power Grass can make it a painful disruption to many common Pokemon. Despite all of its increasingly positive traits, its longevity can be hurt by a weakness to Stealth Rock in tandem with its best form of recovery being an unreliable Pain Split. Common threats in the metagame like Swampert, Hydreigon, and Latias will cause it to be pressed for moveslots, as it will naturally struggle with them depending on its set. With the introduction of Z-moves, many foes such as Cobalion and Togekiss can muscle past it with the sheer power of their respective Z-moves. Get your teams in by Saturday!

Jade

why are girls?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
stakataka.gifprimarina.gifkrookodile.gifkommoo.gifcelebi.gifrotom-heat.gif

So I built this team around Stakataka + Specs Primarina since I wanted to build around Stakataka, an underrated mon that sweeps a lot of unprepared teams. For my next member I used Krookodile for speed control and a Ground type. Fire Fang is used here due to Scizor being more annoying otherwise. I added mixed Kommo-O with rocks next, an underrated set that I've really enjoyed using recently. It also improves the stall matchup. Celebi is here as a more reliable Scald switch in, a Suicune check, and a secondary special wallbreaker. Lastly, I decided on the mon of this week, Rotom-Heat to improve the Scizor matchup since it was shaky otherwise, give a Defogger, and also check Mamoswine which was otherwise a huge threat.

Other Options

Since I have 3 (4 if you count Rotom, although I think Iapapa is better) potential Z move users, you can try shuffling who gets the Z move around. Although I believe Celebi is the best Z move user since I dislike it w/o Groundium. Dazzling Gleam w/ Colbur is an option if you're worried about Latias, although Stakataka and Krook should be enough to have at least a decent matchup. Stone Edge > Fire Fang on Krook is valid if you're worried about Aerodactyl, although it doesn't come in on anything aside from a locked Krook.

Last edited:
[Will add sported later, maybe]
Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Toxic

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Defog

Alrighty, so this is a team I built with a friend around banded terrak because that thing is a monster. Added aggron to be able to set up stealth rocks and overall be a defensive tank, florges to support this with the addition of defog and wish to be able to keep many mons healthy. Latias completed a fairy dragon steel core as well as gave many useful tools in a set up mon, some speed, and overall good wallbreaker along with terrakion. After that rotom heat was added as a main switchin to flying types which were a big problem for this team, and overall a good pivot as well. Will o wisp to cripple physical attackers or toxic to hit bulky ground types or dragon types, preference, both work. Last was krook, speed control, secondary latias check, pursuit trapper, ground type. Krook does what krook does. Florges was later changed to bulky primarina as it greatly helped with its many residences, mostly its resistance to fire to not rely on only latias. That’s a team.

MManectric+ZKrook Offense

https://pokepast.es/85ef68714dced130

I built this team for a tournament a friend of mine had to play. I started with Manectric Mega with Signal Beam cause that move covered a lot of mons that the other guy used, but HP Grass can be used instead. I added Latias Scarf cause imo is one of the best scarfers in the tier and can check a lot of mons in the tier and can become a wincon spamming moves in the late game lol. I wanted now a Physical mon that can check dragons such as Latias and trap them so I added Scizor CB. Primarina complete the Drake Check and covers other threats like Mega Sharpedo, and grounds like Krook/Mamo/Hippo. At this point I need a Stealth Rock Setter and something that can hurt Stall, so I added SR Taunt ZEQ Krookodile, a mon that can surprise and give you the game. Finally I added Rotom-H, a mon that can bring momentum to the team and lure mons that Manectric cant touch.

1534908562528.png

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

And we're back with the balance. I couldn't think of anything too absurd to do with the mon, so I centered the team around Rotom by taking focus away from it. When it's being pressured to be an absurd blanket check and provide support on top of that, it's too much role compression for the poor thing. So I don't have defog on this Rotom, but rather toxic, to catch nearly all of it's common switchins. Next, we have Hydreigon. Hydreigon is pretty easy, ghost-resistant revenge killer with a good typing. Sylveon is here to pass wishes, so Rotom isn't pressured to run pain split to get recovery upon losing the Iapapa berry. next, we have Decidueye. I wanted a stallbreaker, and a mon that could OHKO Prim. Decidueye fits this bill perfectly while ALSO being able to switch in at least once, making it a soft check. Next, we have Gligar. Gligar serves as the Main Mane immunity, and as a defogger for the team to take even more pressure off of Rotom, while also checking Cobalion and Terrakion. Lastly, we have Aggron-Mega, who sets rocks for the team, checks Latias, backup-checks Scizor, so on. it also helps take pressure off of Rotom by handling mons like Scizor as well as some non-Moltres/Talonflame flyings. Like I said, Rotom getting a lot of leg room is a good thing. And this team tries to give it just that, I hope you enjoy!

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rotom Heat + M. Sceptile Offense: https://pokepast.es/451eda0250ff70f4

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Rotom-Heat is the given Pokemon and since it acts as a nice flying, Ice resist and checks Steel-type Pokemon like Scizor, I decided to pair it with Mega Sceptile which appreciates Volt Switch support from it and relies on it to check Flying and Steel-types. Mega Sceptile in return takes care of bulky Ground and Water types for it. Next I added Stealth Rock Mamoswine as it provides the team with Electric type immunity and essential Stealth Rock support. After that I added Choice Scarf Hydreigon as a speed control and stand a better chance against threats like Chandelure. Since the team has two Dragon-type Pokemon at this point, I deduced that adding a Steel-type to check Fairy-types was crucial so I added Band Scizor as the next teammate. Which not only provides U-turn support but also traps and beats Choice locked latias with pursuit. At this point, stall match up was looking iffy so decided to use Nasty Plot Togekiss with Fightinum Z.
Shoutout to vivalospride for helping me with the team.

Last edited:

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Tail

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Cobalion @ Fightinium-Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Bell
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Air Slash

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Fire Punch

I decided to take a balanced approach with this team. Rotom-H is, of course, the focus point for this week's competition and I've opted to go for a Defog set featuring Toxic, which lures and cripples Rotom-H's usual switch-ins like Swampert and Latias. Krookodile gives the team an immunity to Electric moves which significantly helps vs voltturn teams, and also helps to trap the aforementioned Latias to make Rotom-H's abilities easier to execute. Iron Tail may seem like a weird choice, but it may prove to be useful in matchups versus Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, which can otherwise become a bit uncomfortable to deal with. Mega Slowbro was a natural addition as it checks Pokemon like Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl which stand in Rotom-H's way, and with Krookodile to Pursuit trap Latias, it can also function as a decent sweeper. Cobalion fulfills the obligatory role of a Stealth Rocker and can also punch holes in most opposing balance teams with its access to Swords Dance and Fightinium-Z. Togekiss gives the team an out versus slower teams and checks Hydreigon for Mega Slowbro, while also supporting Mega Slowbro's susceptibility to status with Heal Bell. PapaLax rounds out the team, giving me a switch-in to Latias while also giving the team another sweeping option. Most teams rely on status or Knock Off to nullify this Snorlax set, however both counterplay options are covered by its teammates quite well.
Feel free to try out the team for yourselves! :psyglad:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Small number of votes, but despite this, Accelgor wins this round! Congratulations, your team will be added to the Hall of Fame!

Accelgor - 3
Juuno/Smallsmallrose/Galla'eci/Harpp - 1

---------------------------------------------------------

And, our next week is Krookodile! How have we not done this yet Krookodile is one of the tier's best Dark-types, Pursuit trappers, and Choice Scarf users right now, and its Stealth Rock set is pretty nifty as well. It's honestly one of the easiest Pokemon to fit on offensive and balanced teams in this meta, so I'm expecting a lot of submissions from y'all for this.

Submissions are due Saturday, and have fun building!

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Block
- Rest
- Toxic
- Scald

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost
- Flamethrower

Florges-White @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Celebi @ Grassium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Jolly Nature
- Heal Bell
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- U-turn

Heres the only team im using on ladder for the next like month until im motivated to build UU again. peaked at 1700 with it.

The team is a pretty simple concept of a bulky team that can deal with most threats and block slowbro to drastically improve stall matchup.

slowbro is standard physically defensive block bro with waterium Z to take knock offs better and completely wall non-crunch krookodile and functions as the teams answer to mons such as nape, terrakion, and may other physical attackers in the tier that cant hit it with a supereffective attack.

Aggron functions as the rocker aswell as a secondary semi-counter to scizor in case you end up with rocks on your side and have to find a switchin to scizor that isnt moltres. Roar allows you to beat curselax, toxic can be run however if you see an enemy snorlax just click X. (And yes ive seen enough snorlaxes on the ladder right now that this is actually worth it over toxic)

krookodile functions as the volt switch immunity and scarfer of the team aswell as providing pursuit support to help with starmie and latias, nothing special about the set just standard scarf krook.

moltres functions as the main counter to scizor on the team, allowing molt to come in on u turns getting a 30% chance to burn the scizor anytime it makes contact, and spreading toxic to bulky waters as they come in. Molt also functions as the main defogger as it switches into a solid amount of rockers in the tier and can 1v1 them with toxic.

Florges is used to finish off our psychic + steel + fairy core and function as a wish passer for maggron and a side defogger for moltres, enough speed to outspeed mons that are trying to speedcreep primarina.

Celebi is probably the most interesting set we have on the team but every move is on there for good reason. Heal bell allows for you to not autolose if your opponent has a lot of mons with toxic as florges doesnt have the slot to provide aromatherapy support. The meat of this set is the Z grassium seed bomb, which allows you to come in and 1v1 vincune always as a grassium z can break the sub of a suicune behind a protect. recover to add extra sustainability and u turn to provide some much needed momentum to the team and to provide an escape on incoming alolan muks.

The team plays pretty simply, switch into your counters to mons, spread toxic, and keep hazards off the field. Trap bulky waters with slowbro and try to play around the weaknesses mentioned in the next hide.

Weaknesses!

The team does have a few notable weaknesses that can be hard to play around but are most definetely not an unwinnable matchup.

The main weakness to the team is primarina, as a hydro pump with 2hko florges. You will need to predict what move prim is going to go for a solid amount of the time inorder to not autolose to this mon, for reference, slowbro can take one specs moonblast if you need to scout and so can celebi. florges doesnt get 2hkod by moonblast and slowbro can rest toxic stall any prim that goes for hydro/celebi can ohko it.

Rockium Z terrakion can ohko your slowbro at +2 so you will need to bait that out with a switch to aggron if you dont want to lose to it.

Your main answer to togekiss is aggron so dont mega evolve aggron vs togekiss unless its absolutely necessary. the x4 resistance instead of 2x is generally the thing that lets you survive enough slashes to break through. (this weakness is heavily rng dependant.

Last edited:

Jade

why are girls?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
krookodile.gifsteelix-mega.giftogekiss.gifvolcanion.gifnihilego.giflatias (1).gif

WARNING: this team is WEIRD.

So I built this a few days ago w/ Smallsmallrose and I thought it was super heat so I wanted to share. I built it around Bulk Up Krook, a set she submitted in Next Best Thing, which does well against fatter teams without something like Togekiss. I used Figy for the item since Latias has Psychium already and restoring health can be useful. I decided on Mega Steelix (rise this to B- VR people) since I really wanted to use it and since I'm not Scarf Krookodile, another way to handle Mane if it decides to use Volt Switch for Latias or HP Grass for Krookodile. Gyro Ball is used since it hits hard as shit with a -speed nature. Babiri Berry Togekiss, one of rose's favorite sets to use (I can tell), was decided on next. I used Defog instead of Nasty Plot since 2 rocks weak mons without hazard removal is something I'm not a fan of. Krook + Lati is decent at handling fat things anyway and it improved the Scizor matchup. Speaking of the Scizor matchup, Protect Toxic Volcanion also helps improve it and serve as a lure for troublesome Dragons like Kommo-o. The EVs outspeed neutral 252 base 70s. Next up is Scarf Nihilego, which comes with an interesting tech in Psyshock that was once again suggested by Rose for Gengar, which is otherwise troublesome. I rarely find myself clicking the last moveslot anyway. Lastly, Psychium Stored Power Lati w/ Reflect Type formed a good core with Lix, let me check Mane more reliably, and gave me a Terrakion check, which is otherwise a nuisance.

Last edited:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Okay so I wanted to build a team around Malt because I haven't in a while, and I was trying to think of a neat core for it and I thought of Malt + Nihi. Nihi comes in on fairies, sets rocks, can lure shit like Empo and Maggron w/ elec z, beats Moltres, etc. All things Malt definitely appreciates. Next was Rotom-Heat as a much needed Scizor check that can fog on most steels, if I'm staring at a Maggron with those 2 mons, I need some sort of switch in. Heattom just made the most sense and I made it Toxic to chip dragons. CB Scizor fit well here as a pivot to pair with Heattom and something to pressure fairies and dragons more directly. Krookodile comes in as speed control on a team with a non ground rocker, and gives something that can pursuit shit that scares malt like Chandy and Gengar. Celebi is the last mon because it has a good fat matchup and can directly come in and absorb status while pressuring bulky grounds/waters which I think the team needed quite a bit.

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Primarina @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Chandelure @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

This is a double calm mind bulky offense team centered around cresselia and chandelure. Paired with a trapper these to calm mind users thrive. Primarina is used as a sponge for status. Mega aggron as a stealth rocker, flying resist, and scizor check. Mantine to avoid being swept by reuniclus and other dangerous boosters. Thats a basic description of the team.

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Aerodactyl-Mega (F) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit

Infernape (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roar
- Scald

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Krookodile (F) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

I initially wanted to build this team around Nasty Plot Infernape as it is an extremely underrated stallbreaker and general threat to most of the current team frameworks that have been floating around. There are a few natural counters to this Infernape set, such as Chandelure and Latias, and checking these two Pokemon in particular was crucial as Nasty Plot Infernape's other, usually slower, checks can potentially be overwhelmed by a +2 Z-Focus Blast after some chip damage. Both of the aforementioned Pokemon are prone to being Pursuit-trapped, and this has generally been the best way to support this Infernape set for quite some time. As of now, Choice Scarf Krookodile is possibly the tier's most splashable Pursuit user, so adding it was a no-brainer. However, certain sets like Dragonium-Z Latias can overwhelm Krookodile in most 1v1 scenarios, so Mega Aerodactyl's addition as a secondary Pursuit-trapper likely ensures Latias's removal while also giving me a great speed control option versus other offensive teams. Cobalion and Empoleon fulfill their usual roles to set up and remove hazards, while also providing to the team's defensive synergy. Shuca Berry was my item of choice on Cobalion for this team, as it is an invaluable asset to help check big time threats to balanced teams, like Nidoking and Mamoswine. Rocky Helmet Amoonguss provides Spore support to help Infernape set up with more ease, and also acts as the team's defensive Scizor check. It also helps to check other physically oriented threats, such as Cobalion and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria.

Feel free to try the team out for yourself and have fun! Please note that there are a couple of situational changes that can be experiemented with, such as Roost over Pursuit on Mega Aerodactyl and Knock Off over Roar on Empoleon.

Oh, and this team was used to secure a win for my team today in the SSD tournament. Here's the replay for those who are interested in viewing the team in action on a larger scale: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-393699

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)