Unpopular opinions

The weird thing, Gen 3 sprites were a lot more consistent for lighting for back sprites, and people hate those for color
I'd argue and say for the older mons they had to rush them in, so there's lighting errors. But they were both finalized before most Gen 4 mon sprites, and the Gen 4 mons have the same issue

I think Venusaur takes the cake. It appears to be lit from below, yet its petals are dark on the underside. That leaf over its left leg is also lit as if from the side, but then the leg should have cast a shadow on its belly. The bottom of the petals are lit, suggesting a light source on the side, but the gap between them is not reflected in their shadows. Somehow, the teeth are lit while the lips aren't. The vines are evidently lit from below while the petals right next to them are lit from the side. Venusaur's right foreleg is in the shade, but it's not clear what's shading it. Can't be the belly, because the curve of the shade is concave while the belly is convex, and it can't be the chin (which is convex like the shadow) because then its face would be lit. The petals to the right of its face are lit from below while the leaves underneath them aren't
venu.png

So I attempted to fix it...
Assuming there's a light near the clouds though

didls

formerly Besom
It's funny cuz Gen 2/3 Outrage was 90 BP

Here's an unpopular opinion, I don't like how Gen 4 sprites are shaded
Here's what I mean View attachment 264658
The pink arrows represent the light direction
Now normally Cartoons/Anime do a wonky thing where the light source is treated as if it's in the center of the scene, so things closer to the camera are shaded

That's "fine" due to not needing to worry about light direction continuity, making it easier for the animators
Problem is for Gen 4 the light direction isn't even consistent. What should be the front of the pokemon is lit is instead randomly splotched all over the body. Platinum even changed the arm shape (hence why my tweak is different) and lighting slightly, but it's still messily applied

This also annoyingly affects the colored outlines, since those also are based off of shading. It overall looks inconsistent, and even flatter since the colors are stretched to be using the darks (note the stripes)

Edit: attempted color outlines View attachment 264667
This is precisely why I think the Gen 3 games (as well as Gen 2, but especially Gen 3) are the best looking games in the entire series. All of the Gen 3 sprites have great shading.

It almost seems like they tried to shade the Gen 4 sprites like they did with the Gen 2 sprites, but it doesn't look very good when the Pokemon has more than one or two colors in its palette.
2020-07-29 10.24.57.jpg
This is Pidgeot's sprite in the DP beta. It is both posed and shaded better than the final sprite, which is mind-boggling to me. Why did they deliberately choose to shade the sprites in such a flat way when they already had perfect shading on the beta sprites? Almost all of the beta sprites have this GBA-style shading, and I wish they would have kept it.

I wouldn't say 3 is immediately the best looking. People have issues with the pallete, and a lot of FRLGs poses are basic. Some mons are pretty off too (Swampert especially). Though it had the sickest Nidoking sprite out of all, so there's that :psysly:
I do like how GF used models for maps in Gen 4/5, but here's one thing
Why didn't they have 8 directional movement and corner sprites by the time Gen 4 rolled in? Mystery dungeon and Rangers showed it can work. It makes the maps more boring to look at when all paths are up down or left right only
Pretty much why I like this Gen 1 art of Kanto

over LGPEs despite the latters better detail

Funny enough, Gen 7 and 8 experimented with less rigid paths, which I do think is good. Shame both are mediocre

I hadn't thought about this picture in YEARS. It's printed in the middle of Pokemon Monopoly board.

I'm definitely biased due to Emerald being my only game, but while I'm indifferent to Gen 3's battle sprites (Crystal is by far my favorite in this regard) I think Gen 3's overworld sprites are the best in the series (comparison with 3D games is a bit weird, but I'd say it's still better than Gen 6). In particular, the character sprite art style was a huge influence for my own art style, along with Cyanide & Happiness.
iTKUBG4Q.png
piprat.png

My unpopular opinion is that ORAS was a bad experience

Not sure how unpopular this might be, and not sure how much this opinion is influenced by me being literally a Gen 3 baby. But I just finished Omega Ruby, and I frankly found it a downgrade from the originals. Way too much babying. Too many interruptions in the storyline. And frankly, this might be a nitpick, but I feel that Game Freak made the game extremely linear (and I know Ruby and Sapphire weren't exactly open world, but rarely did they teleport you to the next story trigger). I honestly felt the story only started to pick up as the weather crisis was nearing its climax. And I did find some parts enjoyable such as the backstory of Sea Mauville (although I was left wanting more lore on the big players of Hoenn) and the Delta Episode (somewhat)

For one reason or another I had to wait all this time until now to play this game all the while trying not to spoil myself (as much as I could be spoiled considering I could probably write the script of RSE off the top of my mind from how much I've replayed them). And maybe I hyped it up too much on my mind. But when it comes to the main storyline, I was just let down. And at the end of it all it feels the same way XY felt to me: incomplete

EDIT: Is this how Genwunners feel about FRLG? Because if so I get them now
Nah FrLg and HgSs are great, even if I play the originals equally as much. Only thing I enjoyed from ORAS was the DexNav. Level curve and movepools were atrocious for balancing even with exp share off.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion but out of all the Pokemon games I played which are BW, Y, OM, Moon, Platinum, Let's Go, and Sword. BW is my favorite not just because it introduced me to Pokemon in the first place but it's just a lot of fun to play. Sure it's flawed such as how it can be a bit grindy sometimes and the level design isn't the best but I like most of the Pokemon, the story was good especially for a Pokemon game, I love the sprites, and imo has the best music in the series. I guess nostalgia is probably why I like BW so much but even playing it now it's still a really fun and I still love listening to the soundtrack.
I started playing Gen 1 and Gen 5 is actually my favorite. I actually think it's one of the least "grindiest" given Audinos and later Lucky Egg, a combo I prefer to modern exp share. Overall level curve is really sound. Great story, great balance, awesome mons, and amazing music. I have a soft spot for GSC/HGSS music as well but I think BW is essentially the pinnacle of Pokemon. It's hard for me to find something I dislike about it. Even the reusable TMs were introduced in a very balanced way.

I Don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or if it's not anecdotic, but honestly, I'm fed up to see the same Pokemon for team's grunts/admins/bosses. Always Rattatas, Zubats and new generation Pokemon that "fit" on grunts. At least, XY and SS did an effort on that, sometimes giving them Pokemon such as Manectric, Druddigon, Sableye and Pancham. I do think that Pokemon like Qwilfish, Gligar and Nuzleaf/Shiftry will fit well with enemy teams's characters, and I'd like to see more diversified Pokemon in their teams.

I Don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or if it's not anecdotic, but honestly, I'm fed up to see the same Pokemon for team's grunts/admins/bosses. Always Rattatas, Zubats and new generation Pokemon that "fit" on grunts. At least, XY and SS did an effort on that, sometimes giving them Pokemon such as Manectric, Druddigon, Sableye and Pancham. I do think that Pokemon like Qwilfish, Gligar and Nuzleaf/Shiftry will fit well with enemy teams's characters, and I'd like to see more diversified Pokemon in their teams.
The Aether Foundation had a very diverse amount of Pokémon, ranging from Porygon2, Vanillish, Gorebyss, Machoke, and Huntail to name a few. I do agree with the sentiment that villainous teams use far too much Poison, Dark, Normal, and Bug. It does feel very small and predictable.

The Aether Foundation had a very diverse amount of Pokémon, ranging from Porygon2, Vanillish, Gorebyss, Machoke, and Huntail to name a few. I do agree with the sentiment that villainous teams use far too much Poison, Dark, Normal, and Bug. It does feel very small and predictable.
It is predictable, but at same time, it's also relatable/recognizable.

It "makes sense" for a evil team to use dark/poison and some psychic/bug types (which also tend to have dark-ish vibes) cause evil.

Then again we also had our share of exceptions in last generations, both Lusamine and Rose's gangs use pokemon that you'd not normally associate with "bad guys" and Lusamine and Oleana specifically pull out the "cute but actually" trope with their bunch of feminine / fairylike pokemon.
(Which is also inherently a consequence of the series having taken a direction where the "Team X" is no longer the actual bad guys but rather the comic relief that distracts from the actually bad guys in last 2 gens)

Bug being evil is ironic considering the main reason it beats Dark is due to bug heroes in many Japan shows
Also I noticed something

Actual Gen one/twoers don't like Gen 3
This seems to be due to
-The reboot Gen. Unlike Gen 2 which was connected to 1, 3 was almost an entirely fresh slate. Connections to older characters is severed
-No way to port old mons. This affected event mons heavily
-Art change for less impressive poses and color/contrast. This even affects sprites in FRLG
-Anime's permanent change to Digital, and lower budget. Technically the end of Gen 2 started this, but that was after 3 was revealed. It also was the first Misty was replaced, and many are polarized about Max
-The internal shift to appeal to the new generation. Max might've been made as a result of that
-Despite GBA hype and sales, Pokemon no longer was at its peak. The fad/frenzy effectively expired
-Poke designs (and cries). Yes, they did complain

What I find weird, when they come back to Pokemon, they like later gens till 5 or 6, despite 3 being responsible for the updated battle formats, entering 16 bit, and overall expansion
And 4 honestly is handled even more kiddier in merch, and 2 had way more cutesy designs than either 1 or 3. So....
Why still be sore over 3?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What I find weird, when they come back to Pokemon, they like later gens till 5 or 6, despite 3 being responsible for the updated battle formats, entering 16 bit, and overall expansion
And 4 honestly is handled even more kiddier in merch, and 2 had way more cutesy designs than either 1 or 3. So....
Why still be sore over 3?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure if this goes against the prevailing opinion, but ... I think I prefer the convention of "third versions" over the idea of DLC for main series Pokémon games. Or at least, over its implementation in Sword and Shield. Conceptually, a DLC can work, but it requires the base game to be better. Let me explain:

Of course, a main draw of the third version is the improved postgame, and SwSh's DLC appears to deliver pretty solidly on that front. However, the third versions have also historically improved on other aspects of the base games, such as aesthetics (compare Route 1 in SM to Route 1 in USUM), plot, characters, locations, and Pokémon availability. Remember the awful encounter tables of SM, the somewhat bland portrayal of the non-antagonist teams in RS, or the awfully generic and samey tilesets in DP? The fact that only native Pokémon were used all over BW? These were all flaws of original games that were fixed in the follow-up versions.

DLC doesn't "fix" things in this regard, instead it "adds to". It adds its own sidequest, but doesn't change the main quest. It adds new, beautiful areas that makes more Pokémon available, but old areas as still stuck with the same encounter tables and visuals. Core characters aren't given a different portrayal; instead, new characters are added alongside them. The entire original game still exists as-is, with all its shortcomings, with the DLC stuff mostly happening in an isolated bubble on the side.

On the other hand, this is not an issue you'll notice if you don't replay the entire game but instead choose to continue on the same save file you used when you first bought it. Seen as a postgame extension to the base game, DLC does its job fine. However, it means that the in-game journey will never get a touch-up for added replay value; you can only complement it with occasional visits to the DLC areas as you play through the game. The experience of the first games in a generation will stick.

In order for DLC to lift the quality of the overall game, the base game needs to be very good from the onset. If the DLC areas give a great jump in quality, or lack flaws that are clearly present in the base games, it will be very noticeable. In short, the base game needs to be as good as a "third version" right out of the gate, and I'm not sure if Pokémon's current release cycle is able to provide that level of polish.

There's also the argument that Pokémon games are all about their journey, and that the big appeal of the game is the part between picking a starter and becoming the Champion. A DLC won't be able to provide such an experience, you can only get it by starting over and playing a whole new adventure. This is why we keep buying new Pokémon games that are essentially identical between versions: the player's adventure with their Pokémon is so appealing we really want to do it over and over again. "Growth and progress" gameplay, as I like to call it, which you can't experience again after the end credits without starting anew. But starting anew is so punishing that, for many of us, it's not a realistic prospect. One can't just delete all that progress and all the Pokémon we've caught and befriended! Hence why we'll buy multiple versions to have another adventure, similar to the last but at the same time unique. And I daresay that a new and polished adventure is better than the same adventure but with a side adventure attached to it.

Of course, that bit about cost is a major argument too, and "third versions" aren't always perfect either. USUM was weaker than SM on the storytelling side. But I don't think I could have endured another playthrough of SM without the quality-of-life improvements of USUM.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not sure if this goes against the prevailing opinion, but ... I think I prefer the convention of "third versions" over the idea of DLC for main series Pokémon games. Or at least, over its implementation in Sword and Shield. Conceptually, a DLC can work, but it requires the base game to be better.

DLC can be used to provide a yearly/twice a yearly thing to do to buy GF time to more fully develop the enhanced version no matter how many years that takes.

Though I think a key thing to note here is that, no matter what, the base games needs to be better than what we've been getting (which is why I bolded it in Codraroll's post). Notably for story and characters because, while a third enhanced version is nice, I would rather much prefer a sequel like we had with Gen V. Though that's personal preference and not really part of this discussion.

In addition they can have DLC previously released before the enhanced/sequel version be a part of the game but inaccessible unless you have the pass for them which can either be bought OR traded over to those game if you connect them to the vanilla versions (once again, think Gen V's Memory Link). That way when they they shut down the servers and you can't download the DLC anymore at least the enhanced/sequel versions will have that DLC built in. Unfortunately DLC released after the enhanced/sequel versions would be forever lost if they shut down the servers.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't think Game Freak has ever got lighting quite right. Look at the artwork for Gigantamax formes, for instance. Their lighting is all extremely wonky.

I think Venusaur takes the cake. It appears to be lit from below, yet its petals are dark on the underside. That leaf over its left leg is also lit as if from the side, but then the leg should have cast a shadow on its belly. The bottom of the petals are lit, suggesting a light source on the side, but the gap between them is not reflected in their shadows. Somehow, the teeth are lit while the lips aren't. The vines are evidently lit from below while the petals right next to them are lit from the side. Venusaur's right foreleg is in the shade, but it's not clear what's shading it. Can't be the belly, because the curve of the shade is concave while the belly is convex, and it can't be the chin (which is convex like the shadow) because then its face would be lit. The petals to the right of its face are lit from below while the leaves underneath them aren't.

Or take Eevee: The idea seems to be a light source below Eeevee, or at least to its side, so how is the bottom half of the face illuminated? Shouldn't the mane throw a shadow that covered the bottom half of the face? The only thing that could create such a light would be a floodlight hidden in the mane itself. The three clouds swirling around its ear appear to be lit from different angles, yet the ear itself is completely shaded. Somehow, half of Eevee's legs are shaded, yet they don't cast a shadow on the tail.

Oh, and a light seems to be reflected in Eevee's eyes, yet the reflections are in the shaded halves of the eyes.

Yeah, Game Freak aren't really masters of illumination.
My unpopular opinion is that... Lighting in these 2D images is largely unnecessary and doesn't matter. I prefer a stylized image over one that has natural lighting. Especially in the case of Eevee. Its lighting is dramatic and makes it look like an evil mastermind. Venusaur's lighting puts a spotlight on the most important part of the design- it's body.

I appreciate you shining some light (heh) on the drawing's unnatural lighting, as it's not really something I would've noticed otherwise. But I prefer them to keep bending the rules of physics and lighting if it means that the drawings are cooler.

I appreciate you shining some light (heh) on the drawing's unnatural lighting, as it's not really something I would've noticed otherwise. But I prefer them to keep bending the rules of physics and lighting if it means that the drawings are cooler.
I'd agree, but a blatant curve isn't exactly that dynamic or unique, nor is worse color contrast after late Gen 3
It also makes Gen 4 back sprites seems flatter and LESS dynamic with how colors are used

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd agree, but a blatant curve isn't exactly that dynamic or unique, nor is worse color contrast after late Gen 3
It also makes Gen 4 back sprites seems flatter and LESS dynamic with how colors are used
Oh ya I agree with you on the sprites. I'd like to see more examples of your fixes because it's pretty interesting.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
no one is bothered that ground types still arent immune to spikes?
rock types to stealth rock?
Wonderguard should be immune to hail , toxic spikes and spikes bc shedinja takes 0 from both actually.

Recoil moves like Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Wood hammer,

If the user inflicts no damage (such as if Disguise takes the damage), they do not take recoil damage.
Would change that when it comes to Disquise and Ice face actually... to make recoil users get hit...

some moves like Submission should atleast confuse the target taking how low damage 80 power it has and takes 1/4 recoil damage for nothing really... and only chance to hit 80%? would give efffect of flinching with higher rate here taking its a recoil move... you pay a price for something here...

outclassified by Body Press now... power 80 and 100% hiting always...

the same with Take Down and Rock Climb,,, if you take recoil it should be worth it or not?

Wild charge , only does damage and no extra effect here... maybe some should do less damage on their respective terrains or weathers?
or get increased priority +1 to make sense? or get extra effect like wild charge could confuse the foe too at least.

Power whip is strong, but power whip 15% of missing but lacks effect? its a whip? what about making it get 30% of beeing a increased priority move or a switching move?
wood hammer I get that 120, recoil for 100% chance to hit... but the power whip should make sense here.. maybe lower power and give effect?

generally we have a lot overpowered moves, would rather have more effects and higher activation rates then pure power play and strenght only

Wonderguard should be immune to hail , toxic spikes and spikes bc shedinja takes 0 from both actually.

If the user inflicts no damage (such as if Disguise takes the damage), they do not take recoil damage.
Would change that when it comes to Disquise and Ice face actually... to make recoil users get hit...

some moves like Submission should atleast confuse the target taking how low damage 80 power it has and takes 1/4 recoil damage for nothing really... and only chance to hit 80%? would give efffect of flinching with higher rate here taking its a recoil move... you pay a price for something here...

the same with Take Down and Rock Climb,,, if you take recoil it should be worth it or not?

Wild charge , only does damage and no extra effect here... maybe some should do less damage on their respective terrains or weathers?
or get increased priority +1 to make sense? or get extra effect like wild charge could confuse the foe too at least.

Power whip is strong, but power whip 15% of missing but lacks effect? its a whip? what about making it get 30% of beeing a increased priority move or a switching move?
wood hammer I get that 120, recoil for 100% chance to hit... but the power whip should make sense here.. maybe lower power and give effect?

generally we have a lot overpowered moves, would rather have more effects and higher activation rates then pure power play and strenght only
This is the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, not "Make Suggestions For How Game Freak Can Buff Things As If They Or Anyone Else Cares" thread.

Not sure how unpopular an opinion this is or how appropriate it is for OI since it mainly pertains to competitive play, but I really dislike the concept of TRs. And it's not just because they're single-use; that much I can handle since they're all renewable through Max Raids. I'm talking about how, because the TR list is explicitly all of the best moves in the game, every Pokemon has too much movepool flexibility.

For example, in older generations, most non-Fighting Physical attackers who wanted Fighting coverage had to settle for something like Superpower, which had the undesirable trait of dropping your own Attack stat. In generation 8, on the other hand, since Close Combat is now a TR, pretty much every Pokemon who might have wanted a Fighting-type option (including many Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr and Mienshao) now have access to the best Fighting move in the game. Historically, many Pokemon were balanced by not having access to moves that they might have desired and thus having to make do with subpar options, but now they can optimize their movesets to an unprecedented degree, which I worry will eventually lead to a smaller pool of Pokemon being viable as "niche" options being used for a certain move wouldn't happen nearly as much. At least Garchomp still doesn't get Dragon Dance.

TRs that used to be Egg or Tutor moves also had their distributions wildly expanded. The fact that so many Pokemon have a ton of coverage makes the idea of a "counter", in the traditional sense, shaky at best. Venusaur, for example, can no longer be safely walled by Steel-types thanks to its new access to Earth Power. This goes hand-in-hand with Dynamaxing, where a Pokemon can double its bulk and fire off Max coverage moves to brute force their way through a would-be counter.

The final reason I dislike TRs is admittedly a personal and extremely biased one, but I've historically been very into Pokemon breeding, and many traditional Egg moves got moved over. There's still a viable Egg move here and there (such as Fake Out Gothitelle), but by and large the remaining ones are moves you wouldn't ever need or want.

Conceptually, a DLC can work, but it requires the base game to be better.
Yeah, this was my biggest gripe with the DLC, while I did enjoy it, it doesn't fix any of the problems like Platinum did for Diamond and Pearl. The areas when playing online lag and freeze, Marnie and Bede are robbed of a character arc, or even making dungeons more thrilling more complicated. I honestly think DLC model would have worked fine for SM, since these were games that did not need a strict 3rd version like Platinum to fix it flaws. Here's my thoughts on the DLC in LTTAYIP Thread. My other major criticism with DLC was that model was poorly handled. For starters, why can't the packs be separate? Someone might wanna try the Isle of Armor, but not like it. This is the first ever DLC for Pokemon, so I'd imagine that a lot of people would think twice before buying this. The second thing is why are there separate passes for the versions? Why can't we have one singular pass for the games? The only reason I can think of is because TPC wants to make as much money as possible, and gain money equivalent to a Switch game by charging separate passes for players who have both versions. Terrible business practice.

Anyway, enough about that, I wanted to talk about the GTS, and how Home has ruined it. Before I go into that, I am going to say that I liked the GTS: . Yes, I know it had its problems, but it still was very useful feature. When I was completing the Pokedex in Moon, the GTS was invaluable for obtaining Version-Exclusive Pokemon. Like when I put up a Vullaby for Rufflet, I got one very quickly. It saved me the hassle of looking for someone to trade with via the use of Forums.

In Home, the GTS is technically free with the Basic Version, but the basic version is severely limited. For starters, you don't have access to access to transferring Pokemon, so you are already at a disadvantage since you only have Pokemon from SwSh and Let's Go to work with, so you are missing roughly 200 to 300 Pokemon as of the Isle of Armor DLC. The 2nd is that you only have access to one box for the basic version, which is only 30 Pokemon. Assuming that you have one different Pokemon per space for the Basic Box, you only have roughly 3% of the entire national dex, to work with it. And that's not considering Dexit. So let's just say that you are looking for a Glameow on the GTS, and you find one and they want a Duraludon. But you don't have a Duraludon in the basic box. So you need to quit your phone, go to your Switch and Deposit a Duraludon into the Basic Box. Then you have to log on to Mobile Home and do the trade. And you have to consider the possibility that the trade may be completed by the time you get Duraludon, or you don't access to your Switch. Its just needlessly complicated. And to add insult to injury, the GTS is improved upon buying into the Premium Plan- you can store up to 3 Pokemon instead of one.

And lastly, I also really dislike they removed Friend Trades from the games and placed it in Home. They are free, but SwSh suffers because they replaced it with a Link Code system, which suffers due to the fact that if you don't insert a unique enough number, you can get mismatched very regularly. Yesterday, I was trading with Omastar68 and I got mismatched once and had to create 3 separate LCs in total before being matched properly. It took us 30 minutes in total. Never has trading been so tedious to do in the whole series. It really does feel like they removed it just to encourage the use of Home.

So the my opinion is that the removal of GTS is disappointing, and the managing of the Basic version is supposed to encourage the consumer to buy the GTS back to its former glory, which is honestly what Home is: Taking features from the past games and monetizing them. Between the noticeable increase in monetization, Dexit, and Kanto pandering I'm really considering quitting Pokemon. As for Dexit, Pokemon are the primary reason why I play the Pokemon games, as well as the Multiplayer, but without my favorite Pokemon, what am I playing Pokemon for? Multiplayer, yes I guess, that part is always fun. But I spend most of my time on PS building teams, and of all those teams I build, I only actually build two on cart. The tedium will always exist as long as IVs and natures are a thing, which will PS will always be faster. And as for Kanto Pandering, yes I know that Gen 1 Pokemon are the most recognizable, but Pokemon has such a successful brand name, they can afford to take a risk, and can make money. Its annoying to see Kanto Starters and Gengar get the more attention, even though when they are Pokemon like the Johto starters who also exist around Pokemania as well as being the 2nd Best selling games of all times, yet none of the Johto starters have gotten the Kanto Starter treatment.

So between Home, Dexit, the handling of the DLC, and the partnership with Tencent to create Pokemon Unite, gives the vibes that making money is the top priority and will currently right now take over creative process and innovation. I understand TPC needs to make money, but you don't need to create grimey business services like Home which is removing features from the games to monetize it at the cost of slowing advancements in the games themselves. The lack of innovation in the Pokemon formula has finally caught up to me. Pokemon SwSh feel like RB despite coming out 20 years later. I think its time to join my friends in the " grown out of Pokemon " circle.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
In Home, the GTS is technically free with the Basic Version, but the basic version is severely limited. For starters, you don't have access to access to transferring Pokemon, so you are already at a disadvantage since you only have Pokemon from SwSh and Let's Go to work with, so you are missing roughly 200 to 300 Pokemon as of the Isle of Armor DLC. The 2nd is that you only have access to one box for the basic version, which is only 30 Pokemon. Assuming that you have one different Pokemon per space for the Basic Box, you only have roughly 3% of the entire national dex, to work with it. And that's not considering Dexit. So let's just say that you are looking for a Glameow on the GTS, and you find one and they want a Duraludon. But you don't have a Duraludon in the basic box. So you need to quit your phone, go to your Switch and Deposit a Duraludon into the Basic Box. Then you have to log on to Mobile Home and do the trade. And you have to consider the possibility that the trade may be completed by the time you get Duraludon, or you don't access to your Switch. Its just needlessly complicated. And to add insult to injury, the GTS is improved upon buying into the Premium Plan- you can store up to 3 Pokemon instead of one.

And lastly, I also really dislike they removed Friend Trades from the games and placed it in Home. They are free, but SwSh suffers because they replaced it with a Link Code system, which suffers due to the fact that if you don't insert a unique enough number, you can get mismatched very regularly. Yesterday, I was trading with Omastar68 and I got mismatched once and had to create 3 separate LCs in total before being matched properly. It took us 30 minutes in total. Never has trading been so tedious to do in the whole series. It really does feel like they removed it just to encourage the use of Home.

So the my opinion is that the removal of GTS is disappointing, and the managing of the Basic version is supposed to encourage the consumer to buy the GTS back to its former glory, which is honestly what Home is: Taking features from the past games and monetizing them. Between the noticeable increase in monetization, Dexit, and Kanto pandering I'm really considering quitting Pokemon. As for Dexit, Pokemon are the primary reason why I play the Pokemon games, as well as the Multiplayer, but without my favorite Pokemon, what am I playing Pokemon for? Multiplayer, yes I guess, that part is always fun. But I spend most of my time on PS building teams, and of all those teams I build, I only actually build two on cart. The tedium will always exist as long as IVs and natures are a thing, which will PS will always be faster. And as for Kanto Pandering, yes I know that Gen 1 Pokemon are the most recognizable, but Pokemon has such a successful brand name, they can afford to take a risk, and can make money. Its annoying to see Kanto Starters and Gengar get the more attention, even though when they are Pokemon like the Johto starters who also exist around Pokemania as well as being the 2nd Best selling games of all times, yet none of the Johto starters have gotten the Kanto Starter treatment.

So between Home, Dexit, the handling of the DLC, and the partnership with Tencent to create Pokemon Unite, gives the vibes that making money is the top priority and will currently right now take over creative process and innovation. I understand TPC needs to make money, but you don't need to create grimey business services like Home which is removing features from the games to monetize it at the cost of slowing advancements in the games themselves. The lack of innovation in the Pokemon formula has finally caught up to me. Pokemon SwSh feel like RB despite coming out 20 years later. I think its time to join my friends in the " grown out of Pokemon " circle.
Uhhh... Why did you put this here? This is "Unpopular opinions", not "Rants about the current state of the franchise and one's intentions to quit". Where exactly is the hot take? Because a lot of people aren't fond of Home in its current state already. Sorry if this comes off as rude, but I just don't think this belongs in this thread, or really any thread on this subforum.

Uhhh... Why did you put this here? This is "Unpopular opinions", not "Rants about the current state of the franchise and one's intentions to quit". Where exactly is the hot take? Because a lot of people aren't fond of Home in its current state already. Sorry if this comes off as rude, but I just don't think this belongs in this thread, or really any thread on this subforum.
I put it here as a response to Codraroll. I thought I'd save myself a post by writing it here.

As a casual user of the GTS, I actually think integrating it into Home was a good move.

Not going to defend the monetization though. Its becoming pretty apparent that Gamefreak is becoming more scummy with their brand and monetizing improvements that would have come with the main game in the past. The Basic Box being limited to only 30 Pokemon is also an issue (90 would have been much easier to work with).

Still, making the GTS its separate app does have a bunch of benefits. NOTE: I'm basing a lot of this on what I've learned from my CS classes, but I don't have much industry experience so I may not be correct.

1: More Scalable: For past few games, I believe Gamefreak had to set up different GTS servers for every new gen. With Home, only one server needs to be managed & periodically updated to add new Pokemon.

2: Easier to get Feedback & Make Improvements: Having multiple systems entangled together (GTS, single player game, wifi-battling) can make managing everything pretty difficult. In the 3DS games, Gamefreak did a decent job at attempting to address single-player and wifi-battling concerns, but neglected the GTS. Issues like people requesting mythicals / impossible Pokemon or offering rare Pokemon that were nicknamed bad words never got fixed. With Home, several of these issues were finally addressed. There still are several problems (like hacked Pokemon having nicknames to shady URLs & trade evolutions not evolving) but its not as bad as before.

3. Showing statistics: The GTS now shows stats of what the most & least traded Pokemon are. This is extremely cool to a data geek like myself & gives new players an idea of what the "Pokemon economy" is like. Right now, Kubfu & Urshifu are extremely valuable, so being able to get your hands on one gives you a lot of flexibility in what you can & can't get.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This is the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, not "Make Suggestions For How Game Freak Can Buff Things As If They Or Anyone Else Cares" thread.
So what you're saying is that they're making unpopular opinions?

Ground-types & Spikes: Ground-types aren't immune or resistant to themselves, so even if they made Spikes go off the Type Chart like Stealth Rock they'd still receive "full" damage when being sent out. And unlike Toxic Spikes where it could be assumed Poison-types are re-absorbing the poison in the spikes making them harmless, normal Spikes are presumably just a hard & sharp material so nothing to really "absorb".
Rock-types & Stealth Rock: Similar issue with Stealth Rock, but honestly Stealth Rock needs some other nerf. I still say it should be locked to only doing no more than 2x damage even on a Pokemon quad weak to Rock. Also maybe wouldn't be a bad idea having it only last for a number of activations (maybe something to consider for all Entry Hazards, giving them a wearing down effect unless more layers are laid down thus also giving a purpose them having 20+ PP).
Wonder Guard Indirect Damage Immunity: Eh, I wouldn't do that as we need some ways for other Pokemon to work around Wonder Guard. However I wouldn't argue giving it a "first turn" immunity to Indirect Damage so it doesn't immediately get knocked out when sent out on Stealth Rock, is Burned/Poisoned, or there's a Weather active.
Recoil Against Disguise/Ice Face: Why? How I interpret recoil is the Pokemon hits the target and then pushes itself to do extra damage at the risk of also hurting itself (essentially overexerting itself). However with Disguise and Ice Face the attacker so easily breaks these decoy defenses they don't have to exert the extra energy thus no recoil.
Submission, Wild Charge, Take Down & Rock Climb: Honestly I would just make Submission, Take Down, & Wild Charge all be 100 Power & 100 Accuracy. You're right, there's really no reason for these Moves to be Low Power/Low Accuracy with them doing recoil. But Submission are probably one of those Moves GF rarely remember exist let alone what it does as there are better Fighting-type moves (yet oddly it wasn't cut...). And of course there are plenty of other Moves that could use some adjustments before I would bother touching Submission. BTW Rock Climb doesn't do recoil, but it is a subpar Normal-type move that could use a readjustment (this is actually true for a lot of Normal-type moves).
Power Whip & Powerful Moves: Power Whip is fine, could maybe use a secondary effect (or maybe higher Power) but its main purpose is to hit hard which comes at the cost of being inaccurate. Let's also remember that not every move is made to be competitive. Thinking about it, may be an interesting challenge idea for someone to do a playthrough where they strictly focus on inaccurate moves and see how far they get (probably wouldn't make it a nuzlocke).

Not sure how unpopular an opinion this is or how appropriate it is for OI since it mainly pertains to competitive play, but I really dislike the concept of TRs. And it's not just because they're single-use; that much I can handle since they're all renewable through Max Raids. I'm talking about how, because the TR list is explicitly all of the best moves in the game, every Pokemon has too much movepool flexibility.

(...)

TRs that used to be Egg or Tutor moves also had their distributions wildly expanded. The fact that so many Pokemon have a ton of coverage makes the idea of a "counter", in the traditional sense, shaky at best. Venusaur, for example, can no longer be safely walled by Steel-types thanks to its new access to Earth Power. This goes hand-in-hand with Dynamaxing, where a Pokemon can double its bulk and fire off Max coverage moves to brute force their way through a would-be counter.

The final reason I dislike TRs is admittedly a personal and extremely biased one, but I've historically been very into Pokemon breeding, and many traditional Egg moves got moved over. There's still a viable Egg move here and there (such as Fake Out Gothitelle), but by and large the remaining ones are moves you wouldn't ever need or want.
Addressing your last issue first, you may not like what I'm about to say. I think GF are wanting to pull away from having players required to breed a lot to get a good Pokemon. Hyper Training, Nature Mints, getting rid of Hidden Power, able to teach Pokemon moves from the same member of their species, slowly but surely they're getting rid of the reasons to Breed (to the point they may have to add some reasons to breed...). Really the only reason left to breed a lot is for Shiny Pokemon (as you only need to breed once or twice for an Egg Move which you can then Same Species Tutor).

And that leads us back to TRs pretty much teach a Pokemon a majority of the Egg Moves they would want (notably coverage). The thing about TRs is I think they may have made them TOO available. From Raid Dens and the Watt Traders you really aren't hard pressed to get a TR you want or use that TR if you have it. I would not be surprised if next gen they pull WAY back on the TR availability and you may have to jump through loopholes to get a certain TR (and when you do decide whether you want to use it cause may take some time to get another). And in doing that they'll bring back breeding for Egg Moves. Of course this is all hypothetical.

The second thing is why are there separate passes for the versions? Why can't we have one singular pass for the games? The only reason I can think of is because TPC wants to make as much money as possible, and gain money equivalent to a Switch game by charging separate passes for players who have both versions.
Well I think no matter what they would have required someone to pay again for the DLC for each version of the game they have. No, I think the reason they may have done two different passes is because GF are not good/lazy/rushed programmers.

Good programmers would be able to use "if-then" statements to make sure the version exclusive content (rival, wild Pokemon, Regina's trades) is only accessible by the version its planned to be in.

BUT GF have proven time and time again they're either not good/lazy/rushed programmers. For them it's just easier to make two passes and hard code the version differences (and this still holds true even if both DLC packs has the other's exclusive content, infact I wouldn't be surprised). Instead of doing "if-then" and then testing to make sure it works they "crl find+replace".

I wanted to talk about the GTS, and how Home has ruined it.
THIS on the otherhand was a cash grab and GF should be punished by Nintendo for pulling this stunt. Gutting it out of the main game to force people to use HOME and download it on their Switch and Mobile Phone (which I hope you have because if you don't then F@#$ YOU!) & then charging to transfer your Pokemon up from the past games (on top of also having to pay for Bank, which was said to be a service to ignore this very issue but I guess that was a blatant lie!).

Still, making the GTS its separate app does have a bunch of benefits.
Honestly I think people are fine having GTS being an app... BUT they also want a version of the GTS in the actual games themselves. The point of a GTS app is for ease of availability, not having to have the game in front of you if you wanted to do some trades with the Pokemon you have stored in HOME. However, if I am playing my game that I have a whole batch of different Pokemon on, why should I:

1. Save and close my game.
2. Open Switch's version of HOME.
3. Deposit Pokemon from my game into HOME.
4. Open Mobile's version of HOME.
5. Set up the trade you want with the GTS.
6. Open Switch's version of HOME.
7. Withdraw Pokemon from HOME into my game.
8. Open my game back up.

WHEN instead they could have just put a GTS in the game like they did in past generations!

This is literally cutting content out of the main game to make it more of a hassle & more restrictive to try and squeeze some extra money from people.

... MEANWHILE, if they wanted to sell their Premium Service, maybe they could have taken all that cut content from past games like Pokemon Contests, Pokemon Musicals, Pokeathlon, Battle Frontier, Dream World, Pokemon Refresh, Poke Pelago, etc. and added those to HOME. You know, stuff people actually want and many would pay for and would probably be worth buying into the Premium service especially if they supported it. But no, why give customers something they would gladly pay for when you can take away something they've grown accustomed to just so you could make squeeze out a few extra dollars. Just disgusting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)