Unpopular opinions

Absol should have been changed to dark/fairy in gen 6 plus mega absol should have been a regular evolution instead of a mega

Design wise it is one of the bet mons ever

But they were extremely popular. Most people love mega zard, mega lucario, mega salamence etc
You listed 3 Megas who I'm pretty sure all had very different reception. The Zards were considered shilling Charizard Marketing but also necessary/welcome for it from a gameplay standpoint, Lucario mostly has to do with being Korrina's Ace (which probably could have been any Fighting Mega), and I don't know anyone laying much praise on Mega Salamence from either direction.

Still wouldn't solve a main problem: It would still have Slow Start taking up its Ability slot. This is my idea:
Other people offered stall, but if you remove the attack penalty, slow start just becomes a less shitty stall (unless you want to stick it on a trickroom team ig). I find it more interesting for a lore ability that doesn't harm regigigas that much.

You can just give it a good ability too if regigigas Needs A Buff, in which I'd agree stamina is pretty good

In terms of buffing Regigigas, I keep imagining merged formes with the three original regis. Since Gigas had its power sealed, it makes sense to me to have the other regis contain compatible power that can be swapped in. The merged formes can then either have Clear Body or an ability that reflects the type of the merged regi (e.g. Regigigas-Rock gets Solid Rock) along with some stat adjustments.

Slow Start is a horrible ability for many reasons but one of the worst parts about that ability is that you can debuff Regigigas into oblivion before it gets the chance to do anything. I like playing FFA random battles and Regigigas can actually stall out turns fine in that mode due to Protect and not being the main target most of the time, but a very easy way to stop it is by hitting it with a bunch of debuffs, either with Intimidate, a few Icy Winds, Max Wyrmwind, etc.

A very easy (and fitting) way to fix this would have been to integrate Clear Body into the ability so Regigigas doesn't have to worry about debuffs when stalling out the 5 turns.

You guys feel Gen 3 had a lot of weak duo/single staged mons to prevent powercreep? Something like Absol being physically oriented despite it being a special type seems way too much of a handicap. Same with Slaking and Tropius having handicaps (either ability or stats), and gimmick mons being fairly weak

Or maybe it's just taking Gen 2 influences incorrectly, I dunno. Stuff got rocked by Gen 4 either way
Gen 3 had a lot of slow mixed offense mons because of how the phys/spec split was still type-based.

Seviper and Exploud were noticeable examples of this.

Ultimately, both are pretty awful because being slow and frail is a recipe for disaster. A lot of Gen 3 mons got buffed in Gen 4 because of the modern split, even though they didn't instantly turn into superstars either. Mightyena getting physical Crunch comes to mind.

That's not even counting all the blatant gimmick mons.

don't know if Nitro Indigo meant it this way, but how I took their post is that if a Pokemon is designed in a certain way where it makes sense for them to just be a mono-type, that's alright. Like, for example, with the Galar Starters about everyone assumed they were going to be dual-type, only a very few thought some if not all were going to be mono-type. Lo and behold, they were all mono-type. Could GF have added bits to their design where they could then slap on a secondary Type? Sure, but doing that would feel artificial, you're purposely making a Pokemon more complicated just to add a second Type instead of the secondary Type feeling natural to the intended design.
That's it. I see a lot of "altering existing Pokémon" fanart/writeups that usually amount to slapping an extra type onto everything, like Electric onto Primal Kyogre or Fairy onto Meganium. Meanwhile, a lot of Pokémon in OU do just fine with one type, such as Clefable. Sometimes less is more. The problem with a lot of Gen 5 Pokémon isn't that they're monotype; it's that they only learn STAB and Normal moves.

Would Pikachu's design be as appealing if it had to incorporate another type? Exactly.

Why would anyone run a adamant banded weavile?

As for it a cool mon i said it from a marketing perspective not from competitive perspective.
Because Adamant is currently the most used nature on CB Weavile.

Concerning the marketing perspective argument, it doesn't really hold the water since the majority of Pokemon players don't play competitivly and don't pay very much attention to those kind of things. And even when a random Pokemon player (who doesn't play competitivly) notice the Tough Claws ability on a Pokemon, he'd just think "oh, that's pretty cool" but won't think about it very often. And even if there's people who genuinly pay attention to abilities, I don't think making a already excellent and very popular Pokemon even more popular and broken (because it's the word) worth it.

My point was that Serperior sucked before its hidden ability was released, and even then, its only coverage was Hidden Power.
Tbh Serperior was one of these pokemon where you're clicking the stab 99% of the time and you don't care of the other 3 slots.

Most of the time, resisted 130 BP stab that also gives +2 spatk is just more damage than a 60 BP non stab, outside of special cases like 4x resists vs supereffective (which is also 90% of hidden power previous usage anyway)

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Legendary Bird: Multiple.
Mewtwo: I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was a few. Mr. Fuji couldn't create Mewtwo by himself, and in the games it seems like all the scientists lived, and this seemed like a pretty sketchy experiment which may have meant not all the scientists were just in it for the science or good of the world. All it takes is making a copy of the blueprints and selling it to the right contacts on the black market.
Mew: Multiple.
Legendary Beasts: Despite sounding like they should be one-of-a-kind, there are multiple. Seems like the Ho-Oh species came across a winning formula and seemed to have created multiple trios over time; which means for every Legendary Beast trio there's a tragedy connected to them where at least three Pokemon died.
Tower Duo: I believe there are multiple (let's put aside the anime, we're talking about the games). The ones in Johto are just the most well known as they were worshipped.
Celebi: So its either there are multiple, its the same Celebi but at different points throughout its possibly eternal life, or a combination of the two (like there's multiple timelines which at points cross with one another and each timeline has a Celebi).
Legendary Titans: Multiple.
Eon Duo: Multiple.
Weather Trio: Hard to say, like it would make sense for them to be one-of-a-kind. If there are multiple, at the very least only one group of Trio is active at a time, it's just that the ones in Hoenn are the most well known cause their territory just so happened to be a populated region.
Jirachi: I say multiple, the thing is most are asleep and are either disguised or slip into a pocket dimension until they wake up. Heck, I always question its Dex entry and came up with a theory that only ones which have granted wishes during the seven days is at its strongest need to sleep for a thousand years. All others have a normal sleep cycle but are unable to grant wishes (at least major ones, at most maybe able to manipulate luck) when it's not the seven days.
Deoxys: Multiple, but most are likely still in a dormant state.
Lake Guardians: Ugh, hard call. Like, lorewise they would be one-of-a-kind, but the in B2W2 threw us a strange curveball with the Cave of Being which is apparently connected to Sinnoh (I'm assuming not literally) and the Lake Guardians. Did Arceus place multiple Lake Guardians around the world to make spreading of emotions, knowledge, and willpower quicker? Or is the Cave a Being a place the Lake Guardians can directly teleport themselves to and there's a few places like it around the world?
Creation Trio: Well, if we go by events in the game, they all used to be one-of-a-kind but then Arceus up and goes and creates an additional one using the Mystri Stage in the Sinjoh Temple. Now, since Arceus created that additional one for the player, its questionable whether its considered "active" or, as long as its with the player, it's considered "inactive". Also what would happen to it when finally set free? I guess that's another question entirely.
Lunar Duo: Multiple.
Heatran: Multiple.
Regigigas: There does seem to be multiple.
Manaphy Family: Multiple.
Shaymin: Multiple.
Arceus: That depends what you're talking about. If you're talking about the entity, one-of-a-kind of course. If you're talking about the physical body we know as Arceus, well Legends: Arceus proved a theory I had that it's merely just an avatar created by Arceus to interact with the physical world and it can (and probably has) created multiple.
Victini: Likely multiple, though nothing really hints to it, but I don't see why there wouldn't be.
Swords of Justice: Multiple.
Forces of Nature: Probably multiple?
Tao Trio: From lore alone would be one-of-a-kind, if anything there could be multiple of the Original Dragon. Unless the splitting of one caused a ripple through reality which caused all Original Dragons to split. Problem is they don't really go into where the Original Dragon came from, it just exists in the legend and then splits to create Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem.
Meloetta: Probably multiple.
Genesect: Anime aside, the issue with Genesect isn't if there are multiple, is if multiple have been made. If there's likely more Mewtwo and we know there's more Type: Null, then I would say the chances are good that a former Plasma scientist got the blueprints onto the black market where some fossils of the ancient Genesect have also likely shown up.
Aura Trio: Seemingly one-of-a-kind? According to Dexio & Sina, the Zygarde that appears in Alola is the one from Kalos, having come to Alola because it sensed a disturbance (the Ultra Beasts). Though there could also just be that most of the time Xerneas and Yveltal are inactive. Also Zygarde likely can create new cells & cores if something happens to one of them, and if it can do that than another Zygarde doesn't seem farfetched (if I had to guess, they would share a mental link so would just be two of the same; no need to have multiple then unless it's going into a dangerous situation and leaves some Cores and Cells behind in case the worse happens).
Diancie: Multiple.
Hoopa: Probably multiple?
Volcanion: Despite seeming mechanical, it looks to be organic so see no reason they wouldn't be multiple.
Type: Null Family: Multiple, not just because Aether Foundation made three but also because it's revealed in SwSh that the blueprints are on the black market.
Guardian Deities: One-of-a-kind.
Cosmog Family: Multiple.
Necrozma: USUM certainly makes it out to be one-of-a-kind.
Magearna: While another artificial Pokemon, the Soul-Heart is a really notable part of it as that doesn't seem like something you can "just" build. If multiple do exist, its just a few, and who knows if more can be even built (its way too old for any blueprints, at least in good quality, of it to still exist; unless the Soul-Heart is that complex to build).
Marshadow: Probably multiple?
Zeraora: Probably multiple?
Meltan Family: Multiple.
Hero Duo: I'm guessing one-of-a-kind at this current moment.
Eternatus: One-of-a-kind on the Pokemon World, who knows if or how many are flying around the Pokemon universe.
Kubfu Family: Multiple.
Zarude: Multiple.
Calyrex: One-of-a-kind.
Calyrex Horses: Like, if Calyrex is one-of-a-kind, it seems like his horses are too?

... Also multiple dimensions (Hoopa's rings, Ultra Space, possibly Dynamax Dens/Lairs) means there are plenty of meta explanation why we're running into Legendaries that are one-of-a-kind or there's very few of.
Where are you getting all of these? The fact that multiple protagonists can catch them? I maintain that in game canon almost all of these are one-of-a-kind, with the legendary birds, Arceus’s avatar, Diancie, Type: Null, Cosmog, Meltan, Kubfu, and Zarude the exceptions. As you said, alternate dimensions can certainly explain different protagonists catching them (quite easy to assume the Max Lair is connected to Ultra Space given the first legendaries encountered there were Solgaleo/Lunala), and I question the ones like Jirachi where it’s just “why not?”. And in the case of something like the Swords of Justice or Meloetta, just because they’re biological doesn’t mean there are multiples: the Swords of Justice are a specific trio of individual Pokemon. Legendaries/mythicals are like demigods and I disagree with assuming there are multiples unless lore says otherwise.

Edit: there are a few more that may make sense, Shaymin for example hasn't been built up to be as mystical as Victini or Jirachi, and although I'm disregarding anime for the most part we can take a clue from the Shaymin movie that there may be multiple. I also agree that there may be multiple Genesect. Oh and I forgot Phione, although I do think there's only one Manaphy. Actually there may be two because how else would Phione occur naturally, although maybe Manaphy reproduces asexually but the process is slow enough that for game purposes you need a Ditto.

Last edited:
I’m doing a rewatch of the entirety of the OS Pokémon anime and ranking the episodes/specials as I go. The movies are obviously well up there and my favourite 20 minute episode being the Orange League climax shouldn’t come as a huge surprise.

However the latest episode I’ve watched being my second favourite might be one of my most unpopular Pokémon opinions of all:
63866FCC-2DFD-4D7F-91F1-CE90A532794B.jpeg

I suspect even a lot of people who grew up with the original series would struggle to remember this episode. If you want to watch the exploits of Orville, the little Pidgey who could, I couldn’t recommend it more.

Shadow tag is an overrated ability. It's okay but nothing crazy. It has many counters. Only effective against hyper offense teams.
Except its the opposite way when we are talking about Gothitelle and not Wobbuffet. Shadow Tag Gothi actually targets defensive teams more. Trick + Rest PP Stalls almost any wall, Charm + Confide + Taunt + Rest does the same, but can also kill something offensive and then there is Calm Mind + Stored Power, who, if traps a Wall, 6-0s everything that doesn,t have a Dark Type or a powerful physical Ghost or Bug.

I do think that having the ability banned is excesive (I don,t consider Gothita and Wobbuffet to be problematic Mons, unlike the big Goth) but your statement of it only being effective against HO is false.

Except its the opposite way when we are talking about Gothitelle and not Wobbuffet. Shadow Tag Gothi actually targets defensive teams more. Trick + Rest PP Stalls almost any wall, Charm + Confide + Taunt + Rest does the same, but can also kill something offensive and then there is Calm Mind + Stored Power, who, if traps a Wall, 6-0s everything that doesn,t have a Dark Type or a powerful physical Ghost or Bug.

I do think that having the ability banned is excesive (I don,t consider Gothita and Wobbuffet to be problematic Mons, unlike the big Goth) but your statement of it only being effective against HO is false.
U turn Scizor, Parting shot Incineroar, any good ghost type, volt switch magnezone, rotom formes and many more counters Big G easily.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
U turn Scizor, Parting shot Incineroar, any good ghost type, volt switch magnezone, rotom formes and many more counters Big G easily.
This is flatly untrue in practice. Goth is able to come in and trap whatever has just KOed another Pokémon on its team, because obviously real battling is done in Set Mode. If you have one or even two Goth answers on your team like Scizor and Incineroar, the presence of Goth in team preview still forces you to only KO opposing Pokémon with those direct answers to Goth. This puts you at a huge disadvantage since your opponent can KO your Pokémon with whatever Pokémon they have without having to worry about that.

Shadow Tag isn't broken on paper, but is absolutely broken in practice. That Gothitelle, which has pretty awful stats, is legitimately viable in ubers more than proves that. A counter is worthless when you can't switch it in.

I do think that having the ability banned is excessive (I don,t consider Gothita and Wobbuffet to be problematic Mons, unlike the big Goth) but your statement of it only being effective against HO is false.
The thing about Wobbuffett is that because of how 90% of Offensive Pokemon work, the odds of it KOing an attacker is virtually assured since most Pokemon will only run Physical or Special moves anyway (not to mention if Choice items are a factor). If it tries to set up to ensure an OHKO, Encore locks it in and means you have at least one free turn after switching out to a more effective counter play, and if the mon is defensive, Encore accomplishes the same thing while limiting their options on the field (i.e Recovery in the face of an attacker, Phazing or Hazards to punish allotting it free actions, etc.) A lot of this applies to Wynaut, because other than HP, most of their stats don't matter to how they function as Trapper removers.

The gimmick works significantly better in Competitive Singles where the pace is breakneck, switching is an extremely basic component of strategy, and Pokemon builds are "good" enough to focus on their strong suits, which also makes them significantly more predictable for the Trappers to exploit. I remember when Dugtrio got Suspect Tested in Gen 7, people on the Suspect Ladders were trying out Diglett and Trapinch, and despite their even-more-garbage stats, managing to get many of the same jobs done because removing the ability to switch altogether neuters almost every playstyle on principle.

I'm amused that they cite Gothitelle as targetting and exploiting defensive Pokemon, followed by half of your citations leaning much closer to Offense than Defense in their team role (High Tiers have basically no defensive Ghosts, Magnezone is himself a Trapper so pivoting himself out is not frequently a productive use if that's what he's being forced into anyway). Also, how are these Counters getting in front of the Shadow Tag trapper since Switching isn't allowed?

Last edited:
I remember when Dugtrio got Suspect Tested in Gen 7, people on the Suspect Ladders were trying out Diglett and Trapinch, and despite their even-more-garbage stats, managing to get many of the same jobs done because removing the ability to switch altogether neuters almost every playstyle on principle.
Aw man you brought to mind the glorious days of Giga Drain Trapinch... It was that cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)