Unpopular opinions

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Part of me wonders if the designers at Game Freak internally consider Hydrapple to be something close for Dipplin as a rough parallel/equivalent to Flapple and Appletun having their own special G-Max Forms in Sword and Shield. Except since it's Gen 9 and the gen had a lot of traditional evolutions, Dipplin gets a further evolution whereas Flapple and Appletun at least for now are stuck with SwSh's one-off transformation in a Gigantamax form.

Only Hydrapple actually has better stats compared to Dipplin whereas stats don't change for G-Max Flapple/Appletun, and Hydrapple has a better chance of staying around in future games than G-Max Flapple/Appletun which are confined to anything that has Dynamax in it.

In that line of thought that makes me wonder about how they feel about G-Max Eevee and G-Max Duraludon for instance, especially the latter since it got a traditional evolution this generation with Archaludon in place of losing its G-Max form from SwSh.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Part of me wonders if the designers at Game Freak internally consider Hydrapple to be something close for Dipplin as a rough parallel/equivalent to Flapple and Appletun having their own special G-Max Forms in Sword and Shield. Except since it's Gen 9 and the gen had a lot of traditional evolutions, Dipplin gets a further evolution whereas Flapple and Appletun at least for now are stuck with SwSh's one-off transformation in a Gigantamax form.

Only Hydrapple actually has better stats compared to Dipplin whereas stats don't change for G-Max Flapple/Appletun, and Hydrapple has a better chance of staying around in future games than G-Max Flapple/Appletun which are confined to anything that has Dynamax in it.

In that line of thought that makes me wonder about how they feel about G-Max Eevee and G-Max Duraludon for instance, especially the latter since it got a traditional evolution this generation with Archaludon in place of losing its G-Max form from SwSh.
This. It's akin to Glalie getting a mega in ORAS: people wondered why Froslass didn't get one too as happened with Gardevoir/Gallade, but Froslass has a better distribution of stats than Glalie and the benefit of a second type, so it seemed to me that this "balanced" things out.

Similarly, while Dipplin, Flapple, and Appletun have the same BST, Flapple and Appletun have a more dramatic distribution of stats overall while Dipplin is rather middling in everything but Defence. Thus if you had to give an evolution to one of them, Dipplin was the obvious choice.

I like the skewed line though, it's interesting to see one form capable of going further while the others don't (yet). And it's not as if there wasn't precedent for uneven evolution lines already: think of all the poor Kantonian Farfetch'd and Johtonian Corsola stuck in their underwhelming original forms while the regional variants get the privilege of evolving further and becoming stronger.

I like the skewed line though, it's interesting to see one form capable of going further while the others don't (yet). And it's not as if there wasn't precedent for uneven evolution lines already: think of all the poor Kantonian Farfetch'd and Johtonian Corsola stuck in their underwhelming original forms while the regional variants get the privilege of evolving further and becoming stronger.
>Sees lack of Linoone
>Sees how Linoone benefits from Normal stab and Belly Drum E Speed unlike Obstagoon
:psysly:

The addition of new types beyond the original 15 was largely unnecessary and they were fine as is when introduced (some minor retooling to strengths/weaknesses of a few of them might have been good). Yes I recognize that adding new types was probably even more so about having something exciting to market as it was about game design, but as they were implemented it's hard to deny that Game Freak tried to use them to patch up what were perceived as imbalances in the game at the time.

Psychic didn't need more weaknesses and Pokemon to resist it, it just needed some better bug and ghost type Pokemon and moves to exist to counter it. Likewise fairy existed to counter the dominance of dragons, but that dominance only came about as a result of more and more ridiculous dragon type Pokemon being created, plus their near monopoly of the BST 600 Club (Tyranitar and Metagross must have lied on their resumes to get in).

I'm also not trying to say that any of this would fix any currently existing issues or even that adding these new types resulted in bad games or was a bad idea. It resulted in plenty of unique and really interesting Pokemon and gameplay ideas over the years. Just that the more I think about it the more I feel it wasn't really something that was ever needed to make for satisfying interplay between the different types, and in some ways it served as a band-aid that allowed certain issues (i.e. neglecting the bug type) to fester for far longer than they really should have.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
The addition of new types beyond the original 15 was largely unnecessary and they were fine as is when introduced (some minor retooling to strengths/weaknesses of a few of them might have been good). Yes I recognize that adding new types was probably even more so about having something exciting to market as it was about game design, but as they were implemented it's hard to deny that Game Freak tried to use them to patch up what were perceived as imbalances in the game at the time.

Psychic didn't need more weaknesses and Pokemon to resist it, it just needed some better bug and ghost type Pokemon and moves to exist to counter it. Likewise fairy existed to counter the dominance of dragons, but that dominance only came about as a result of more and more ridiculous dragon type Pokemon being created, plus their near monopoly of the BST 600 Club (Tyranitar and Metagross must have lied on their resumes to get in).

I'm also not trying to say that any of this would fix any currently existing issues or even that adding these new types resulted in bad games or was a bad idea. It resulted in plenty of unique and really interesting Pokemon and gameplay ideas over the years. Just that the more I think about it the more I feel it wasn't really something that was ever needed to make for satisfying interplay between the different types, and in some ways it served as a band-aid that allowed certain issues (i.e. neglecting the bug type) to fester for far longer than they really should have.
Idk if this has been done by anyone but I'd actually be really interested in seeing a modern game tweaked to have the old RBY type chart: so no Dark, Fairy, or Steel-types, and all of Gen I's type relationships like Bug being super-effective against Poison (but glitches fixed, so Ghost is actually effective against Psychic as intended). Obviously you can just play RBY if you really want to get that effect, but a modern game would have powerful Bug and Ghost moves, a greater diversity of Pokemon to choose from (and old Pokemon would have to be retyped, so that would be another interesting aspect to consider).

Hell, forget this being part of a fangame, this should be a feature in one of the official games at some point. Game Freak love their Kanto worship, after all: just call it "old-style battling" or something and have it be a sidequest like Inverse Battling was in XYORAS.

Idk if this has been done by anyone but I'd actually be really interested in seeing a modern game tweaked to have the old RBY type chart: so no Dark, Fairy, or Steel-types, and all of Gen I's type relationships like Bug being super-effective against Poison (but glitches fixed, so Ghost is actually effective against Psychic as intended). Obviously you can just play RBY if you really want to get that effect, but a modern game would have powerful Bug and Ghost moves, a greater diversity of Pokemon to choose from (and old Pokemon would have to be retyped, so that would be another interesting aspect to consider).

Hell, forget this being part of a fangame, this should be a feature in one of the official games at some point. Game Freak love their Kanto worship, after all: just call it "old-style battling" or something and have it be a sidequest like Inverse Battling was in XYORAS.
"Pokemon Classic - Kanto" like WoW

Duraludon is literally the last thing that should have gotten an evolution. It is just blatant power creeping.

Megas were FAR more elegant. However, stuff like Mawile and Sableye should had gotten a regular evolution.

Don't make the 'mon with stat total on par with Rhyperior, Swampert or Lapras Little Cup viable. Scyther was enough for that.

In fact, Megas were a very elegant solution, and should have coexisted with regular evolutions. Then again, regular evolutions had already really questionable crap going on back in Gen IV already. And plenty of Megas were either far too optimized for strong stuff, or not enough for weak stuff.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Duraludon is literally the last thing that should have gotten an evolution. It is just blatant power creeping.

Megas were FAR more elegant. However, stuff like Mawile and Sableye should had gotten a regular evolution.

Don't make the 'mon with stat total on par with Rhyperior, Swampert or Lapras Little Cup viable. Scyther was enough for that.

In fact, Megas were a very elegant solution, and should have coexisted with regular evolutions. Then again, regular evolutions had already really questionable crap going on back in Gen IV already. And plenty of Megas were either far too optimized for strong stuff, or not enough for weak stuff.
But have you seen how poorly optimized Duraludon is when you compare it to Pokémon with similar BST? Between frail 50 Special Defense, situational to effectively useless non-hidden Ability, 85 Speed not enough for a sweeper and too fast to be in optimal Trick Room teams, and it’s signature Ability locked as a Hidden Ability until Ability Patch is introduced in Crown Tundra, it do feel like it relied on it’s Gigantamax way too much to become useful on it’s own. And GF did felt this way, hence giving it an evolution when Duraludon become available via Indigo Disk.

If Little Cup were to return in official Pokémon tournament, chances that the likes of Scyther, Duraludon, and maybe even Dunsparce and Misdreavus will be still disallowed from use to preserve the spirit of Gen 2’s Little Cup.

I do have an issue with how Mega Evolution is distributed, not just given to too many popular Pokémon but at the same time, low BST Pokémon are single stage or second stage where they would benefit more of a regular evolution in hindsight. We know GF can break the unspoken rules by fans, and I know many people who wouldn’t mind seeing regular evos to the likes of Sableye in fangames where Mega Evolution isn’t available. As-is, it’s not too far from reality to imagine Mawile and Sableye to finally get an evolution for games where Mega Evolution isn’t possible, with the caveat that such evolution is unavailable for games where Megas are available for use, allowing for rotation.

Gen IV cross-gen evos were an issue because of the quantity, not just because of the quality of some of them. It forces GF to slow it down from not introducing altogether in Gen 5, only introducing one in Gen VI in favor of Mega Evolution, and once more no true cross-gen evos in favor of introducing regional forms in SM, though the Alolan form of Raichu, Exeggutor and Marowak carries this spirit.

SwSh introduced us an unexpected one with GF experimenting with regional forms by way of a few regional form exclusive evolutions to test water to see if fans wanted to see more true cross-gen evos again. With the generally good reception with most of the regional evolutions, they give another try for true cross-gen evolution concepts in Legends: Arceus and SV, this time with lower quantity similar to Gen 2, with much better reception for most of them this time around.

If you want a clearer and true example of blatant power creep, Mega Evolution just did that. While Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lopunny are greatly appreciated, they ended up damaging the metagames in a comparable manners to several non-special Gen 8 and 9 Pokémon thay got banned from OU and that strained VGC to an extent. And let’s not get into how obnoxiously overpowered Mega Lucario and Mega Gengar are. Mega Rayquaza, and Primal Groudon through Primal Reversion, can be argued to be the straw that broke the camel’s back for those who are already iffy with Mega Evolution.

It’s part of the reason why GF is hesitant to bring the mechanic back so far even with the ever high demand, with the last presence in traditional mainline games being Let’s Go Pikachu + Eevee. The other reason is the mechanic’s heavy lore connection to Kalos and Hoenn, thus Gen 6 as a whole, not unlike how Z-Moves, Dynamax + Gigantamax and possibly Terastalization being only in one generation.

Duraludon has a higher stat total than Charizard and should had never been considered for evolution. It is not an issue of gimmicks and the like, it is something that was designed as the ace of the final gym leader. It is not fully optimized, but it has high stats. That low SpDef is not that much lower than Rhyperior, which also has that stat total, but is slower, has a far worse defensive typing, and was already an over the top evolution of something that was already a flawed yet functional fully evolved 'mon.

And, again, plenty of species that would kill to be able to evolve into something with a 535 BST.

For the record, Mega Evolution was seen in Unova and Kanto (even before the Kalos games were released, via animation), Kalos, Hoenn and Alola. And they are less of "this specific third legendary embodies this phenomena exclusive to this region, except when it wasn't". Necrozma was at least subtle compared to Eternatus and Terapagos.

Megas were also balanced by the lack of held item (except Rayquaza, that shit was a bad take). Dynamax and Tera have no drawback.

Last edited:
the thing is, duraludon was designed as an ace and a strong pokémon, sure, but it was also designed to be able to gigantamax in the role of the ace, and therefore was given the stat spread and one-stage line it was. were the gimmick not such a worry, duraludon and what is now archaludon could have been introduced together, and duraludon with a much lower BST since it could evolve into its true ace form anyway. i do agree it's an awkward situation gamefreak created but i think the generational gimmick curtailing design carries the blame here

Duraludon has a higher stat total than Charizard and should had never been considered for evolution.
L + Ratio + Skill issue + Duraludon is cute and cool and deserves everything + designs are more important than competitive and will always be

also we already have stuff like flutter mane in the games, the powercreep level you complain about has been broken when the game released and its the new power level for pokemon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Worldbuilding and flavor has always trumped battle capabilities and improvement when it comes to any of these new additions to old Pokemon. New evolutions, Megas, regional forms, Gigantamax forms, and whatnot. That's always the throughline.

They always prioritize flavor and building an RPG style world. It's never "this Pokemon needs a buff" specifically. It's always "hey, we're doing this particular design concept right now, and for this Pokemon we have some ideas of how we can do something with it, let's do it!"

Duraludon in particular has a general common theme between both its G-Max form and Archaludon of being a lightweight metal monster that turns into some form of architecture. Giganatamax Duraludon is a skyscraper, while Archaludon is a bridge. G-Max was one of the ideas they did last gen and Duraludon was designed around that, but this gen we had traditional new evolutions again and they probably thought "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we had Duraludon evolve into a bridge?" and created Archaludon as a result.

In general they are always trying to create some sort of variety and worldbuilding when it comes to these: both a variety of design concepts and their choices in which Pokemon get what.

Here's one: Indigo Disk basically kills the idea that a "special" version of a Gen's gimmick shouldn't mean anything for barring the line from new stuff or even that branch.

There's already discourse about things like Duraludon getting an evolution to "replace" its Gigantamax, but on the flipside there's the Applin line. Appltun and Flapple are still the cap on their part of the line, but Dipplin was created as anothr counterpart followed by Hydrapple just making that branch the best one now. It's almost like seeing the two ways these updates can be handled post-gimmick Generation: Duraludon is handled fine by making a pretty function evolution and simply accepting the break in "cap" from a super form, while Dipplin goes around it in such a way that it essentially replaces the two forms that are topped by a no-longer-available form such that Hydrapple is worse if Gigantamax is allowed but better when it's not.

I much prefer the Archaludon approach to things, and think Hydrapple would have been a cool "convergent" evolution for the 3 members of the line, perhaps diversified by the pre-evo moves/signatures and could have forms (Harvest, Baked, Wormy forms) with different stats based on which one it evolved from with appropriate stats (I say forms vs separate Evos for Species clause or in case GF wants to recycle the design). I even really like Hydrapple as a mon and line in and of itself, but Appletun and Flapple off to the side bother me.

tl;dr Do more Mega-line Evolutions/Buffs like Archaludon than Dipplin/Hydrapple, design wise.

I feel like if you’re looking for reasons to use Flapple or Appletun over Hydrapple, then you probably just want to use a Flapple or Appletun and should simply do so.

There are far harsher self-imposed restrictions you could enforce on yourself than using a suboptimal choice of Pokémon. I think I’ve only used Garchomp on a Sinnoh game team like once.

Especially if we’re just talking about a single-player campaign, where basically anything is viable. Competitively, I don’t think Flapple or Appletun were taking the world by storm before now, were they? Or like were just a hair shy of greatness and the only thing that could prevent them from making it big would be the addition of a better choice?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 12)