Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Happy election day to everyone, even the haters and losers. Trump won, suck it up.

The recount is BS - Michigan doesn't even use devices connected to the internet so it won't swap. That means Trump wins no matter what. Even Nate Silver says it looks like a Jill Stein scam.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
President-elect Donald Trump won’t subject Hillary Clinton to a criminal inquiry — instead, he’ll help her heal, his spokeswoman said Tuesday.

“I think when the president-elect who’s also the head of your party … tells you before he’s even inaugurated he doesn’t wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone and content, to the members,”

“Look, I think, he’s thinking of many different things as he prepares to become the president of the United States, and things that sound like the campaign are not among them,” Conway, who is now on the Trump transition team, said in her interview.

She continued: “I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don’t find her to be honest or trustworthy, but if Donald Trump can help her heal, then perhaps that’s a good thing.”

--

"The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness"

-Hannah Arendt, 'The Origins of Totalitarianism' 1951
This instance is the best proof to show that Trump is a sociopathic demagogue. He'll say anything with absolutely no intention to follow through. The wall, jail Clinton, ban all muslims, they're sending rapists, better deals, drain the swamp. He gives not a single shit about what he claims to.

Please Clinton supporters, I know I disagree with you guys on a ton of policies but we all love to take a childrens game and play it competitively so I feel the need to help you out. Jill Stein is playing on your emotions about the election and wants to scam you out of money.

Michigan votes all paper so that couldn't be hacked

Pennsylvania requires that the candidate must challenge voter count at the county level. So she needs to file a challenge in every voting county for a recount and turn the Trump 68,814 votes by Monday.

The voter fraud story you heard in Outagamie county arose due to predicted outcome vs actual outcome of votes.

All 3 states would have to flip to Trump in order to turn over the elections. So all 3 of those unlikely scenario's need to combine into a near impossible scenario in order to actually come true.

The legal fees were originally 2 million dollars. After she was close to achieving that goal, it suddenly jumped up to 7 million. Her website literally says, "If we raise more than what’s needed, the surplus will also go toward election integrity efforts and to promote voting system reform" which can easily be interpreted as going towards Green Party candidates.

For Pete sake Jonah Goldberg and Matthew Yglesias are saying the same exact thing. Think of all the times they have agreed on something.

If you want to donate to the Green party, donate to the Green party. Don't give money to an obvious scam

This instance is the best proof to show that Trump is a sociopathic demagogue. He'll say anything with absolutely no intention to follow through. The wall, jail Clinton, ban all muslims, they're sending rapists, better deals, drain the swamp. He gives not a single shit about what he claims to.
It's almost like the never trumpers were right about him in the primaries...

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
you're saying clinton is any better? Honestly in terms of saying anything to get elected she was FAR worse, as she literally flip flopped on basically everything in her campaign. Hell, she couldn't even decide if she was a progressive or a moderate. At least trump was smart enough to be consistent instead of changing what he said based on who he was talking to, whether it was true or not. Hillary lost so many college-level voters because she said completely different things based on who she was talking to, which is honestly worse than trump just lying (don't bother trying to tell me all of the gold obama lied about during his campaigns).

also anybody care to answer why she's not in jail right now?

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
At least trump was smart enough to be consistent instead of changing what he said based on who he was talking to, whether it was true or not
This is what you call smart? Having a position based on lies, then instead of amending it when you know it to be false, doubling down? Trump and his supporters have an utterly busted moral compass if that's what you consider to be smart. Also, I know this is entitled "US election thread" but really this is the american politics thread now. It's time to stop comparing Trump to Clinton. While I do think she has a much more healthy sense of conscience, morality, and is just a better person overall compared to Trump, it's only because he himself is utterly bankrupt(XD) in this regard. The real work to be done is making the Democrats reform so that they're not as corrupt, blind and alienating, and serve the american people better.

Also, I think that Trump's complete lack of firm ideological grounding is actually a good thing, only because if he truly believed in everything he said he did, it would be a nightmare. Imagine if he truly believed that climate change was a Chinese hoax, that committing the billions and billions to a secure border wall would actually benefit the American people more than it cost, or that banning muslims from entering the country and having a national muslim database is the right way to deal with extremist islamic ideologues and terrorists. Or that cutting taxes while simultaneously increasing military spending wouldn't result in a fucking defaulting of the country, or that he can actually impose tariffs on Chinese imports without crashing the economy with no survivors. That would be a complete disaster.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hillary lost so many college-level voters because she said completely different things based on who she was talking to
Hillary Clinton did way better among those with a college education in comparison to previous years

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...n-track-to-be-wider-than-in-recent-elections/

pre election polling had clinton up like 52-29 among those with a college degree

http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...able-shift-in-white-1478644311-htmlstory.html

a 14 point shift among college educated whites towards democrats

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

Clinton's average shift in the 50 most educated counties was +8.5% compared to 2012 and -11.3% in the least educated counties compared to 2012

xJownage hillary ran on a relatively uniform platform the entire election even after espousing some bernified policies pushing her more left. she's a career politician and she played the political game on one instance by reframing herself as a progressive / moderate in order to cater to the audience. yes she was against gay marriage before, much like most of the sociopolitical climate at the time too. it seems to me you're conflating her career personal views with this election cycle's by vaguely pointing out an innocuous incident of audience catering

Last edited:

xJownage

This is what you call smart? Having a position based on lies, then instead of amending it when you know it to be false, doubling down? Trump and his supporters have an utterly busted moral compass if that's what you consider to be smart. Also, I know this is entitled "US election thread" but really this is the american politics thread now. It's time to stop comparing Trump to Clinton. While I do think she has a much more healthy sense of conscience, morality, and is just a better person overall compared to Trump, it's only because he himself is utterly bankrupt(XD) in this regard. The real work to be done is making the Democrats reform so that they're not as corrupt, blind and alienating, and serve the american people better.

Also, I think that Trump's complete lack of firm ideological grounding is actually a good thing, only because if he truly believed in everything he said he did, it would be a nightmare. Imagine if he truly believed that climate change was a Chinese hoax, that committing the billions and billions to a secure border wall would actually benefit the American people more than it cost, or that banning muslims from entering the country and having a national muslim database is the right way to deal with extremist islamic ideologues and terrorists. Or that cutting taxes while simultaneously increasing military spending wouldn't result in a fucking defaulting of the country, or that he can actually impose tariffs on Chinese imports without crashing the economy with no survivors. That would be a complete disaster.
I don't mean ACTUALLY smart, i mean smart enough into manipulating american voters. Not that it's a good thing, which it clearly isn't. And again, i think people have a panic reaction with trump advertising extreme practices. Obama did the same thing and ended up lying about it, but when was the last time you heard democrats talk about that? the best thing he did to this country was not fuck up more after obamacare.
This is America, when was the last time we jailed a politician for corruption, let alone a potential presidential candidate?
For corruption? are you fucking kidding? she obviously jeopardized national security. there were confidential documents. she lied under oath, multiple times. And it was stated either she should have known better or she was incompetent. Are you really going to say she didn't deserve to be convicted in a country which will convict somebody for leaving a confidential document on their nightstand where their wife could see it? is this a fucking joke?
Did you quote the wrong post? Because I can't figure out why Trump's corruption means Clinton should be in jail.
See above. nothing to do with trump.
Hillary Clinton did way better among those with a college education in comparison to previous years

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...n-track-to-be-wider-than-in-recent-elections/

pre election polling had clinton up like 52-29 among those with a college degree

http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...able-shift-in-white-1478644311-htmlstory.html

a 14 point shift among college educated whites towards democrats

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

Clinton's average shift in the 50 most educated counties was +8.5% compared to 2012 and -11.3% in the least educated counties compared to 2012
Fair enough, although thats mostly because of the progressive push towards the democratic party and less so because voters support her, moreso democratic policy. might i remind you that college campuses are basically adult daycares, punishing free speech to a pathetic degree and being pathetically biased towards liberal thought.

hate speech isn't free speech? hate speech is only speech that directly promotes violence. if you believe otherwise you're a fascist. end of story.

xJownage hillary ran on a relatively uniform platform the entire election even after espousing some bernified policies pushing her more left. she's a career politician and she played the political game on one instance by reframing herself as a progressive / moderate in order to cater to the audience. yes she was against gay marriage before, much like most of the sociopolitical climate at the time too. it seems to me you're conflating her career personal views with this election cycle's by vaguely pointing out an innocuous incident of audience catering

and this is only the surface. I could bring up numerous more examples without even thinking about it. If you want to suggest she was a good candidate you're a fucking idiot. if you prefer her to trump, that's fine. that's your opinion and i can live with the fact that you believe she caters to your personal interests better than trump does.
can anyone actually tell me what is so terrible about a recount?
nothing, i completely agree its a ploy to get you to donate money to the green party and is a waste of time, because as was previously mentioned, all 3 states would need to be overturned (good luck with that).

now im actually done responding to a bunch of ignorant left wing liberals who insist their candidate is good just because the party caters to your personal interests and really nothing else. I absolutely stand by the statement that if you believe hillary is a good candidate, you're a fucking idiot, and that's all i have to say. if you believe she suits your personal interests better than trump, then fair enough, i respect your opinion and again don't care to continue this conversation because its a completely fair opinion.

For corruption? are you fucking kidding? she obviously jeopardized national security. there were confidential documents. she lied under oath, multiple times. And it was stated either she should have known better or she was incompetent. Are you really going to say she didn't deserve to be convicted in a country which will convict somebody for leaving a confidential document on their nightstand where their wife could see it? is this a fucking joke?
Caaaaalm down asshole, I agree she should be investigated for a number of reasons, but America doesn't exactly have a history of jailing prominent politicians regardless of what crimes they commit.

If we jailed every politician who has broken the law we'd have none left. That's actually not a half-bad idea.

xJownage your response was irrelevant to my contention that hillary had a uniform platform through this campaign. yes, she has had many flips in her career and yes she is very much so the epitome of the establishment: this much is self-evident. on the other hand, trump is an ignoramus. i found it comical that, in the same breath of clinton criticism, you lauded trump's consistency in policy. "Honestly in terms of saying anything to get elected she was FAR worse, as she literally flip flopped on basically everything in her campaign" is just a very false representation of what occurred in this election, and this is why i commented.

but really, as a side note, if you're able to live life through an ivory tower where you only vote for pure self-interest, that's very telling. your sweeping AntiLib Free Speech On College Campuses remark, after calling me Ignorant, kinda makes it seem like this isn't a fruitful dialogue anyhow.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fair enough, although thats mostly because of the progressive push towards the democratic party and less so because voters support her, moreso democratic policy. might i remind you that college campuses are basically adult daycares, punishing free speech to a pathetic degree and being pathetically biased towards liberal thought.

hate speech isn't free speech? hate speech is only speech that directly promotes violence. if you believe otherwise you're a fascist. end of story.
"educated people voted for trump because he was the better candidate"

presented with opposing evidence

"educated people are brain washed fascists who don't support free speech"

Whatever fits your narrative I guess.

I don't mean ACTUALLY smart, i mean smart enough into manipulating american voters. Not that it's a good thing, which it clearly isn't. And again, i think people have a panic reaction with trump advertising extreme practices. Obama did the same thing and ended up lying about it
Considering the context that's not smart in the slightest, Trump basically said a fuckton of stupid things and was surprised with how people gobbled it up so he stuck to it.

I was like 8 or 9 when Obama was elected so idr what exactly his campaign was built on but he's done some good stuff and there's no way that what he may or may not have said could be as bad as Trump's advocacy of quitting NATO, mass deportation, banning an entire religion, building a wall, etc etc (side note but the fact 'the American people' voted for Trump despite all of this, along with the inherent shadiness of his business and his ties to white supremacists is really fucking depressing)

For corruption? are you fucking kidding? she obviously jeopardized national security. there were confidential documents. she lied under oath, multiple times.
As said before the fact Trump's dropping the case indicates clearly that there's nothing to go on so whatever. 'She obviously jeopardised national security' lol one would thing keeping official emails private is protecting national security but whatever. Dodging oversight isn't great but it is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be

might i remind you that college campuses are basically adult daycares, punishing free speech to a pathetic degree
Sounds like someone who's never been to one.

On Hillary's 'flip-floppiness' - Well a) she's a career politician which means her ideological grounding isn't necessarily going to be super strong to begin with but a lot of people have forgotten b) people and viewpoints change over time and being able to accept new ways of thinking and adapt to them is crucial for any leader. The idea of 'Clean Coal' wasn't debunked in 2008, Gay Rights wasn't a major issue till a few years ago, neither was gun control, and naturally as situations change people's assessment of them will too. The fact that a relatively conservative politician is expressing such far-seeking views should be a cause for praise rather than concern (though taking someone's words at face value isn't really smart if we all did that the world would probably be a much better place).

I absolutely stand by the statement that if you believe hillary is a good candidate and serves your interests better than trump, you're a fucking idiot, and that's all i have to say.
If you think Trump serves anyone's interests but his own (maybe his family and his shareholders to a lesser degree) then you're a fucking retard who should either top-down reevaluate your life or just kys and save the effort.

Yeah all of that was a bit far. Just ticks me the fuck off how people brutalise Hillary and glorify Trump for clearly arbitrary reasons (what this says of the American people is also really depressing, how they'll latch on the tiniest thing about someone they dislike but ignore a Mount Everest of shit for someone they like)

Anyways,

On a recount: Idk, it'll cost a lot but considering what's riding on this election it may be worth it. I read an article a while back based on the reports of computer scientists who said that the voting machine discrepancies in Michigan could have cost Hillary up to 35000 votes (Trump won Michigan by 27000 votes, js). Like say it's a hoax by the Green Party all you want but I'm shocked (after everything I've seen these people do) that the people saying the election was going to be rigged against Trump are ignoring clear evidence that it could have been hacked in his favour.

On Trump: Even if he takes back everything he says he'll do I'm still really struggling to see how his presidency will turn out well. In the event that he does (which I doubt), he will be left with whatever hyper-conservative policy that his party has, which will result in a lot of the changes made by the current (soon to be previous) administration has made being reversed and potential changes being set back at least a decade (changes include Gay Rights, Public Healthcare (which should be made free like in Canada), potential changes being total racial integration and gun control).

'In a few weeks, America becomes Trumpland. And in Trumpland, criminals are punished swiftly and heavily, and cops are immune to prosecution' - The Daily Stormer (white supremacist newspaper that retards like xJownage subscribe to)

This is the other thing that scares me - how Trump's victory (and his appointment of other open racists like Steve Bannon) may embolden white supremacists to rise in a way they haven't for at least a century, and what it'll mean for the country is anyone's guess (though like Trump, I struggle to see how it ends well - potential futures are that the white supremacists, supported by Trump's repeal of gun-control laws, appoint themselves as the executors of mass deportation and / or personally enforce white rule in rural America (which voted for Trump and is unlikely to oppose them) in KKK fashion (burning buildings, violence, a few lynchings, the usual)). Whatever happens, Trump's platform has already undermined the United States world status in a manner that can't be fixed and will be awful for most of the rest of the world.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
the election is over and posters itt are still propping up hillary as a strawman. like all of xJownage's reply posts are like calling other posters itt out for shit hillary did, or maybe did, like, what? we we're not even talking about that, but okay, i see you're aggro. just saying dude is not worth replying to. the elections over, back to reality please.

'In a few weeks, America becomes Trumpland. And in Trumpland, criminals are punished swiftly and heavily, and cops are immune to prosecution' - The Daily Stormer (white supremacist newspaper that retards like xJownage subscribe to)
Honestly you lose a lot of credibility in my eyes by quoting a shit stain like the Stormer. Even my conservative friends don't take the Stormer seriously. The only people who do are the hardcore alt-right extremists who openly and unapologetically believe in white supremacy. Unless you have reason to believe that that is an accurate representation of xJownage's position (which I struggle to see how, given that he has mentioned it nowhere in his post), then what you're doing right now is pretty intellectually dishonest.

Or are we still in the "all Trump supporters are racist white supremacist sexist KKK neo-Nazi literally Hitlers" phase? Can we please move past that? I'm getting sick of it and I'm not even a Trump supporter.

xJownage

Caaaaalm down asshole, I agree she should be investigated for a number of reasons, but America doesn't exactly have a history of jailing prominent politicians regardless of what crimes they commit.

If we jailed every politician who has broken the law we'd have none left. That's actually not a half-bad idea.
I was responding to you suggesting i thought hillary should be jailed for trump's actions. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
xJownage your response was irrelevant to my contention that hillary had a uniform platform through this campaign. yes, she has had many flips in her career and yes she is very much so the epitome of the establishment: this much is self-evident. on the other hand, trump is an ignoramus. i found it comical that, in the same breath of clinton criticism, you lauded trump's consistency in policy. "Honestly in terms of saying anything to get elected she was FAR worse, as she literally flip flopped on basically everything in her campaign" is just a very false representation of what occurred in this election, and this is why i commented.

but really, as a side note, if you're able to live life through an ivory tower where you only vote for pure self-interest, that's very telling. your sweeping AntiLib Free Speech On College Campuses remark, after calling me Ignorant, kinda makes it seem like this isn't a fruitful dialogue anyhow.
Im accusing others of voting on their self-interest. I don't think a minority like myself would vote for trump in their own self-interest. And I'll gladly provide plenty of evidence on why campuses are basically liberal anti-free speech zones; I've lived right next to 2 different campuses for my entire life and a simple youtube search could help you out here.
"educated people voted for trump because he was the better candidate"

presented with opposing evidence
Fair enough,
"educated people are brain washed fascists who don't support free speech"

Whatever fits your narrative I guess.
Nice argument. Congrats. I actually don't know how to respond to this. Well, maybe it's because you just took my words completely out of context. idk
(side note but the fact 'the American people' voted for Trump despite all of this, along with the inherent shadiness of his business and his ties to white supremacists is really fucking depressing)
Quite frankly it's more of a sign of hatred of the left-wing moreso than thinking trump is a good candidate (he's not).

As said before the fact Trump's dropping the case indicates clearly that there's nothing to go on so whatever. 'She obviously jeopardised national security' lol one would thing keeping official emails private is protecting national security but whatever. Dodging oversight isn't great but it is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be
As said before the fact Trump's dropping the case indicates clearly that there's nothing to go on so whatever.
Do you know anything about politics?

And why has nobody made an argument on her not doing anything wrong? The most ive gotten is "so-and-so isn't prosecuting her" which is just utter bullshit.

Sounds like someone who's never been to one.
Lived right next to two different campuses my whole life, and spent a lot of time on them. In Jacksonville, FL. The south. And boy do i have stories to tell of the stupid shit that's happened on campuses. Oh, and I'm a college student rn. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

On Hillary's 'flip-floppiness' - Well a) she's a career politician which means her ideological grounding isn't necessarily going to be super strong to begin with but a lot of people have forgotten b) people and viewpoints change over time and being able to accept new ways of thinking and adapt to them is crucial for any leader. The idea of 'Clean Coal' wasn't debunked in 2008, Gay Rights wasn't a major issue till a few years ago, neither was gun control, and naturally as situations change people's assessment of them will too. The fact that a relatively conservative politician is expressing such far-seeking views should be a cause for praise rather than concern (though taking someone's words at face value isn't really smart if we all did that the world would probably be a much better place).
If you're trying to deny her flip-flops during her campaign I'm just going to leave this because it's not worth anybody's time, yours included.

If you think Trump serves anyone's interests but his own (maybe his family and his shareholders to a lesser degree) then you're a fucking retard who should either top-down reevaluate your life or just kys and save the effort.
am i supposed to respond to this?

Yeah all of that was a bit far. Just ticks me the fuck off how people brutalise Hillary and glorify Trump for clearly arbitrary reasons (what this says of the American people is also really depressing, how they'll latch on the tiniest thing about someone they dislike but ignore a Mount Everest of shit for someone they like)
I was just about to accuse you of the same thing, actually.

Also laughed really hard at you quoting the daily stormer. Like, full on LMAO'd it.

And I hate trump. I just hate Clinton more. She's a lie, AND a cheat. Trump's just a cunt.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just hate Clinton more. She's a lie, AND a cheat. Trump's just a cunt.
That's objectively false. I'm sick and tired of people just thinking his potty-mouth is the extent of his crimes. Which also makes that statement kind of sexist because fuck your double standards.

xJownage

That's objectively false. I'm sick and tired of people just thinking his potty-mouth is the extent of his crimes. Which also makes that statement kind of sexist because fuck your double standards.
i don't. his crimes revolve around being a cunt. hers revolve around both lying AND cheating. It's my opinion that Bernie would've won without the rigging of the primaries, but it's irrelevant and I don't care to look into it. She cheated. Whether or not it made a difference.

And to the people who believe Trump is a rapist...lol. If I go up to the police department 20 years after having sex with hillary clinton and say she raped me, should people believe me? That's all I have to say on that.

Given Trump's money and influence he is absolutely capable of destroying someone's life if they come against him with any kind of sexual assault claim. I don't claim to know how many of the people who came forward during the election were telling the truth, but I do think it's very understandable that someone in that position would wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)