Very Bored - Need Video Game Recommendations

Hello Internet Renaissance people. Since I'm fresh out of spriting creativity due to that evil place we like to call "school," so, I must occupy my team with other activities that involve staring at a screen for hours on end. But you people are going to keep those hours from being ridiculously boring.

In other words, I need video game recommendations. Good video games, NOT ones that keep you playing for an hour and then become incredibly boring.

Unfortunately for me, right now I only have a Wii, a DS, and a computer. I may get a 360 though, any thoughts on that?

I've always liked a few things:

-Real time strategy (I've played Starcraft, but I never really liked it)
-Turn based strategy
-First person shooters (I'm debating the Conduit, if I get a 360 Halo 3 and ODST are my first picks)
-RPG's (Pokemon is up there)

but those are just my favorite genres, feel free to recommend other stuff. Multiplayer is a big plus for any game, especially if it's one of those genres I mentioned.

I'll list some of my more played games here for you convenience.

SSBB
LoZ: TP
Metroid Prime 3
PBR
Pearl
Metroid Prime Hunters

Yeah, it's not much, but nobody who gives me anything knows what a good video game is. Not to mention most of the time my game picks aren't too good either.

That's everything you need to know, so please give me your game recommendation(s) (Don't just give me a title, tell me why it's a good game)and thoughts on getting a 360 . And don't shoot me if this is in the wrong place.

Definitely check out the Fire Emblem series, sounds like it would be right up your alley.
This, theres one on the Wii called Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, definetly check it out.

And also if you do get a 360, check out Mass Effect, its a Squad shooter with some RPG elements that you might like. The actual story isn't that long but with sidequests it has a considerable length, and a sequel is supposed to come out in 2010 iirc.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you've got a GBA, try out a game Called Tactics Ogre (it's for PlayStation2 as well, iirc). Really great, even better than the FFTA games (especially the story).

Why not the SNES Tactics Ogre? That one is the most famous I thought? (The first is the only one I played though).

To the op: honestly, your guidelines are so vague that you may as well just troll google, metacritic, or gamerankings and look for the most popular recent games.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How good is your PC? For $10 you can be less bored.

Bioshock: http://www.direct2drive.com/2/4645/product/Buy-BioShock-Download
Civilization 4: http://www.direct2drive.com/4/309/product/Buy-Civilization-4-Download

I'd also highly recommend The Orange Box. Bioshock is much like Metroid Prime I would say. Amazing atmospheric shooter that falls closely into the action-adventure genre. Civilization just seems to be one of the most praised strategy games of all time. The Orange Box contains a shooter I've put 165 hours into as well as what is considered the #1 shooter of all time + Portal.

Edit: Bioshock demo - http://store.steampowered.com/app/7710/

Idk if youll like it but KH3 ( Kingdom Hearts 3 or 358/2 Days ) comes out in 2 days for the DS/Dsi
EDIT: Its a really good game imo, would be good if you played the other two though...

There are a load of great strategy games for computers. Specifically I would recommend Warcraft III, Diablo II, Plants vs. Zombies, and Braid.

Also the great thing about Wii is having Virtual Console. There are a ton of great turn-based strategy games and RPGs. I would suggest Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle, Paper Mario, Shining Force, and the Metroid series.

Oh, and you might enjoy Okami if you haven't got it already. FOr a general idea, imagine you're playing LOZ:TP. Now imagine it's like that, but you're the reincarnation of the sun god in a wolf, that bashes demons with floating giant mirrors and can also distort the very fabric of the world to make it a giant parchment to draw on. Now give it a gripping story with fantastic art direction and that doesn't finish when you think it's over, it just keep going on and on, with compelling characters and some RPG elements thrown into the mix. You're getting there.

Really, it's a must-buy if you enjoyed TP.

RTS: Age of Empires series. Best to start with AoE 2 and its expansion. Then Age of Mythology and its expansion. They have got some good campaigns which will take a while to complete. And finally Age of Empires 3.

If you get a 360, I'd definately recommend Fallout 3, and Oblivion doesn't seem bad either, but I haven't played that much. COD4 would be an excellent investment as well.

And I'd recommend staying away from the Conduit. Not really that great a game in my book. It's a decent rent, but not something you want to own for full price.

EDIT: Also look into the music games like Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I've been addicted to Rock Band drumming for the last year and a half.

Since you have a Wii, check out past Legend of Zelda games on Virtual Console, specifically Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Both are a fair amount better than Twilight Princess, actually.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 is a pretty good DS strategy RPG, turn based.

Fire Emblem games also sound good (I would recommend playing Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn, it's for the Gamecube, or simply Fire Emblem for GBA).

The Mario RPG's are quite good. I'd recommend all of them (Paper mario: Thousand Year Door for Cube and Superstar Saga for GBA are arguably the best, though the new Bowser's Inside Story seems great too).

If you have incredible patience and like geeky stuff you could try the king of the games, NetHack (which is freeware)

Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Civilization 4 (you might want to look at this site), Age of Empire II (make sure you have the Age of Conquerors expansion; there's one by the same title for DS but it gets boring and tedious), Command & Conquer games, Warcraft III, Rome Total War (and the Europa Barbarorum mod), Morrowind, etc etc.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is a kind of interesting and little-known RPG for PC if you like steampunk-type things.

And if you happen to have something to play GBC games, Dragon Warrior Monsters is a really excellent and underrated RPG that I highly recommend.

If I were in your situation, I'd get the Orange Box. $30 bucks for Portal, Smogon-popular Team Fortress 2, and the critically acclaimed Half-Life 2.

How about Pokemon Emerald?
Already have it.

Do you own the Orange Box?
No.

This, theres one on the Wii called Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, definetly check it out.

And also if you do get a 360, check out Mass Effect, its a Squad shooter with some RPG elements that you might like. The actual story isn't that long but with sidequests it has a considerable length, and a sequel is supposed to come out in 2010 iirc.
I'll check out Fire Emblem, it's gotten four recommendations.

If you've got a GBA, try out a game Called Tactics Ogre (it's for PlayStation2 as well, iirc). Really great, even better than the FFTA games (especially the story).
The DS has a dual slot function. I'm looking up Tactics Ogre right now.

How good is your PC? For $10 you can be less bored.

Bioshock: http://www.direct2drive.com/2/4645/product/Buy-BioShock-Download
Civilization 4: http://www.direct2drive.com/4/309/product/Buy-Civilization-4-Download

I'd also highly recommend The Orange Box. Bioshock is much like Metroid Prime I would say. Amazing atmospheric shooter that falls closely into the action-adventure genre. Civilization just seems to be one of the most praised strategy games of all time. The Orange Box contains a shooter I've put 165 hours into as well as what is considered the #1 shooter of all time + Portal.

Edit: Bioshock demo - http://store.steampowered.com/app/7710/
Bioshock sounds like a really good game; and I have heard a great many things about it.

About the Orange Box: Are you guys recommending the PC one or the 360 one? I'm assuming the latter currently, but I'm just wondering.

Idk if youll like it but KH3 ( Kingdom Hearts 3 or 358/2 Days ) comes out in 2 days for the DS/Dsi
EDIT: Its a really good game imo, would be good if you played the other two though...
KH 358/2 days actually seems really awesome for a DS game, I'm probably going to get it.

There are a load of great strategy games for computers. Specifically I would recommend Warcraft III, Diablo II, Plants vs. Zombies, and Braid.

Also the great thing about Wii is having Virtual Console. There are a ton of great turn-based strategy games and RPGs. I would suggest Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle, Paper Mario, Shining Force, and the Metroid series.
Diablo and Warcraft are both good games according to some of my friends (they have some of the same game interests I do), and the PvZ and Braid I'll check out.

Oh, and you might enjoy Okami if you haven't got it already. FOr a general idea, imagine you're playing LOZ:TP. Now imagine it's like that, but you're the reincarnation of the sun god in a wolf, that bashes demons with floating giant mirrors and can also distort the very fabric of the world to make it a giant parchment to draw on. Now give it a gripping story with fantastic art direction and that doesn't finish when you think it's over, it just keep going on and on, with compelling characters and some RPG elements thrown into the mix. You're getting there.

Really, it's a must-buy if you enjoyed TP.
Sounds like a heck of a good game. The reviews I've read all say to buy it.

RTS: Age of Empires series. Best to start with AoE 2 and its expansion. Then Age of Mythology and its expansion. They have got some good campaigns which will take a while to complete. And finally Age of Empires 3.
Two recommendations for the same game are good, I'll definitely check it out. It'd better be good though, as all of what you said makes it sound like a pretty good game.

If you get a 360, I'd definately recommend Fallout 3, and Oblivion doesn't seem bad either, but I haven't played that much. COD4 would be an excellent investment as well.

And I'd recommend staying away from the Conduit. Not really that great a game in my book. It's a decent rent, but not something you want to own for full price.

EDIT: Also look into the music games like Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I've been addicted to Rock Band drumming for the last year and a half.
CoD4 is an amazing game (played it at a friend's house), and it's near the top of my list for 360 games.

I was leaning towards not buying the Conduit anyway; I've heard more negative things about it than I have positive ones.

Guitar Hero (not sure about Rock Band) is a cool game, but it only held me in place of my TV for about 2 or 3 weeks.

Since you have a Wii, check out past Legend of Zelda games on Virtual Console, specifically Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Both are a fair amount better than Twilight Princess, actually.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 is a pretty good DS strategy RPG, turn based.

Fire Emblem games also sound good (I would recommend playing Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn, it's for the Gamecube, or simply Fire Emblem for GBA).
OoT is amazing, I don't know why I didn't mention having it in the OP. Link to the Past has gotten lots of praise, I'll look into it.
I've never actually played a Final Fantasy game before (*gasp*) so that's probably a buy.

As I said earlier in this long-winded post, FE sounds Excellent.

The Mario RPG's are quite good. I'd recommend all of them (Paper mario: Thousand Year Door for Cube and Superstar Saga for GBA are arguably the best, though the new Bowser's Inside Story seems great too).

If you have incredible patience and like geeky stuff you could try the king of the games, NetHack (which is freeware)
One of my best friends loves the Mario RPG's, and he talked to me about Bowser's inside story all day today after I asked him to recommend games to me.

Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Civilization 4 (you might want to look at this site), Age of Empire II (make sure you have the Age of Conquerors expansion; there's one by the same title for DS but it gets boring and tedious), Command & Conquer games, Warcraft III, Rome Total War (and the Europa Barbarorum mod), Morrowind, etc etc.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is a kind of interesting and little-known RPG for PC if you like steampunk-type things.

And if you happen to have something to play GBC games, Dragon Warrior Monsters is a really excellent and underrated RPG that I highly recommend.
You guys really like FE. Sounds like a must-buy.

I haven't heard anything about any of those games besides Warcraft III and AoE II. It'll take me a while to look through all these games.

Sorry for some of the short responses people, I'm tired from school today and I don't have much to say. Painters have been at my house for a while, and it's been pretty hectic around here.

KH 358/2 days actually seems really awesome for a DS game, I'm probably going to get it.

It is, i bought it today and so far its great and eveything i expected it to be, graphics are amazing for a DS game

Personally, I'm saving my money for a couple new wii games coming out soon. Some off the top of my head would be the new pokemon wii game thats coming and Metroid: other M. And super mario galaxy 2. and New super marios bros. wii.

And make sure you'll have nough for Hg/SS if you haven't gotten it already!

I'd definitely recommend The Conduit, it is a great game. Although the story is kind of short, the online is amazing. Truly a really good game. I also agree with Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, that one is really good as well. Also, if you get a 360, definitely check out Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, World at War, or Modern Warfare 2 (although this doesn't come out until November). Also, Warcraft III is a really good RTS, and is currently one of my favourite games. So, yeah, there's a lot to choose from.

Star Ocean 2 is wonderful. Very long storyline and ungodly amount of sidequests. Legend of Dragoon too. Takes of Symphonia is an acquired taste. Aside from RPGs, World of Goo (structure and physics puzzle).

Castle Crashers is a MUST play. Like Streets of Rage but you get different-attributed heroes.

I'd like to re-inforce The Orange Box for PC.

Got it when I got my new laptop and if I could keep no other games on my laptop I'd keep this. Portal is amazing, TF2 is so fun that I never get bored of it, and Half-Life 2 is amazing too, will keep you occupied for a long time.​

Buy AOE 2 and its expansion. If you get really into it (it's kind of addictive) you'll be entertained for at least 3 months. I also think i heard something about AOE 4, but I don't remember that well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)