Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Telepathy nullifies damage done to Dialga from allies. Since VGC is a doubles format, this means that its partner can freely spam Earthquake or other spread moves without affecting it. Pressure, on the other hand, is almost useless since VGC is a fast-paced format with little room for stall.

what's the craze about the telepathy dialga, i just found out about the event.

is telepathy really that much better then pressure??

what kind of use and pros does telepathy dialga offers??
Telepathy is an ability purely for doubles/triples and it is an insanely good and very useful ability to switch into your own EQ and freely spam it with 0 risk. Considering Dialga does not like getting nailed with EQ, that's advantageous.
Pressure is shit on everything bar... what, Spite Dusclops? Which is shit in and of itself? lol

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Pressure is something to keep in mind against things that only have 5/8 PP on their moves. For example, if you have a ho-oh with substitute and recover against a groudon that has stone edge, you can stall out the stone edge PP and then whittle down the groudon.

If you don't have anything on your team that could hurt your own team mates, pressure is objectively better.

There's also the advantage that pressure dialga is locked to only have a modest nature. If you want a different nature, you're stuck with Pressure.

Pressure is something to keep in mind against things that only have 5/8 PP on their moves. For example, if you have a ho-oh with substitute and recover against a groudon that has stone edge, you can stall out the stone edge PP and then whittle down the groudon.
Only if you're faster than both foes and Pdon's partner is slower than Pdon itself. Otherwise partner can sub breaks right before Stone Edge :P

If you don't have anything on your team that could hurt your own team mates, pressure is objectively better.
This is true, useless unless using EQ / Explosion. But what fun is doubles without EQ

There's also the advantage that pressure dialga is locked to only have a modest nature. If you want a different nature, you're stuck with Pressure.
Of all the nature locks it could of had Modest is pretty good imo. This is true though.

I of course run Timid, Pressure Palkia next to an EQ user because Telepathy Palkia (which is locked on Timid) is unobtainable to me.
Also is Kyogre + Yveltal a thing or does that scream "Kill me with Thundy / Xerneas" way too much?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Only if you're faster than both foes and Pdon's partner is slower than Pdon itself. Otherwise partner can sub breaks right before Stone Edge :P
I meant in a 1v1 situation. Yeah, it's uncommon, but it's something I guess.

Also is Kyogre + Yveltal a thing or does that scream "Kill me with Thundy / Xerneas" way too much?
Yeah, I'm experimenting with it now actually. My team so far is kyogre/yveltal/raichu/bronzong/mawile/lando-t, though I'm still playing around with the last three.

EDIT: here's what I've got so far: http://pastebin.com/DNfXszac

I'm having trouble with ferrothorn though. Anyone have any ideas on what to change? Lando can be swapped out completely if you'd like.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
just run like max hp/max def with intimidate support and it wont be 2hkoed by double edge

how well can giratina wall xerneas, can it atleast survive one +2 moonblast or dazzling gleam??
Giratina does not wall Xerneas. A wall usually takes 3+ hits from its intended target:
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 278-330 (108.1 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 176-210 (68.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Giratina is used to wall Primals and Kangaskhan.

Giratina does not wall Xerneas. A wall usually takes 3+ hits from its intended target:
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 278-330 (108.1 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 176-210 (68.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Giratina is used to wall Primals and Kangaskhan.
gosh darn, i was being to optimistic thinking i could wall mega mom, PG and xerneas using giratina alone.

If you are interested in the Yveltal/Kyogre core I ran the following 6 to reach 1916 on Battle Spot and 2nd in the mid season showdown 2 weeks ago. Draconid997 seems to have already posted the team and forgot to mention where it came from. UK Nationals is this weekend so I will be writing a team report and uploading it next week :)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
If you are interested in the Yveltal/Kyogre core I ran the following 6 to reach 1916 on Battle Spot and 2nd in the mid season showdown 2 weeks ago. Draconid997 seems to have already posted the team and forgot to mention where it came from. UK Nationals is this weekend so I will be writing a team report and uploading it next week :)

image is broken

Hey, so I've bred two Cleffas. Neither have perfect speed but I decided that's nof important since Clefairy has low speed anyway. One has perfect Sp. Attack and one was bred with Heal Pulse. So I've been using Heal Pulse in the simulator and it's been useful since Xerneas and Groudon are usually left with half Hp after 1 hit and Protect + Heal Pulse usually heals that off. But there's been a few times that my opponent has just barely survived an attack. So my question is, would Heal Pulse or helping hand be better? Like, what's the consensus on what's more useful with the info that I've provided?
I ask because even though Sp. Attack isnt very important since Icy Wind is the only attacking move, I would use the one with perfect Sp. Attack if Helping Hand turns out to be the better option.

Why are a lot of people now running 76ish attack on standard mence instead of 4atk/252 spatk/ 252 speed?

Is there some significant calc for double edge I'm unaware about?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Why are a lot of people now running 76ish attack on standard mence instead of 4atk/252 spatk/ 252 speed?

Is there some significant calc for double edge I'm unaware about?
With 76 atk evs Helping Hand Double Edge almost always kills 4 hp Xerneas. It also guarantees a ko against 252/4 Kyogre.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Hey, so I've bred two Cleffas. Neither have perfect speed but I decided that's nof important since Clefairy has low speed anyway. One has perfect Sp. Attack and one was bred with Heal Pulse. So I've been using Heal Pulse in the simulator and it's been useful since Xerneas and Groudon are usually left with half Hp after 1 hit and Protect + Heal Pulse usually heals that off. But there's been a few times that my opponent has just barely survived an attack. So my question is, would Heal Pulse or helping hand be better? Like, what's the consensus on what's more useful with the info that I've provided?
I ask because even though Sp. Attack isnt very important since Icy Wind is the only attacking move, I would use the one with perfect Sp. Attack if Helping Hand turns out to be the better option.
I'd probably use helping hand as it can allow to get certain KOs with faster mons that you couldn't get otherwise.

With 76 atk evs Helping Hand Double Edge almost always kills 4 hp Xerneas. It also guarantees a ko against 252/4 Kyogre.
Ah okay thanks!

One more question I have does 1spd iv instead of 0 affect calculations despite same speed stat for who is going first? My 1iv groudon gets outspend every single time against opposing trick room teams it can't be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Ah okay thanks!

One more question I have does 1spd iv instead of 0 affect calculations despite same speed stat for who is going first? My 1iv groudon gets outspend every single time against opposing trick room teams it can't be a coincidence.
Doesn't matter, 0 and 1 give the same Speed stat at level 50, and that is what the tie goes off of. So if you both have -Speed natures and minimum possible Speed, it's just a normal speed tie, TR is actually irrelevent. No different than max Speed Jolly Groudon vs max Speed Timid Kyogre.
It very much can be a 'coincidence', believe me when I say "hax pulls spectacles of bullshit so impossibly unlikely on a regular basis that it single-handedly invalidates the mathematical theory of probability".
Losing 8 out of 8 coinflips is nothing compared to a lot of the things I've been crushed by.

Ok so I'm off to my first regionals tommorow and I'm nearly ready but I'm getting that last minute feeling of being paranoid. Effectively, my team is filled speed control, in order to help my Kyogre and Rayquaza. However, I really struggle against trick room. At the moment, mental herb users are extremely common. To combat this, I have a Raichu with fake out and a gengar with taunt. I have a basic talonflame to set up tailwind but am getting worried about trick room. Wondering if I should swap quick guard on it for taunt to combat mental herb trick room set up? I use quick guard mostly against pranksters, or Rayquaza with extremespeed but not sure if taunt could be better or whether to stick with quick guard. Which is better?

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Ok so I'm off to my first regionals tommorow and I'm nearly ready but I'm getting that last minute feeling of being paranoid. Effectively, my team is filled speed control, in order to help my Kyogre and Rayquaza. However, I really struggle against trick room. At the moment, mental herb users are extremely common. To combat this, I have a Raichu with fake out and a gengar with taunt. I have a basic talonflame to set up tailwind but am getting worried about trick room. Wondering if I should swap quick guard on it for taunt to combat mental herb trick room set up? I use quick guard mostly against pranksters, or Rayquaza with extremespeed but not sure if taunt could be better or whether to stick with quick guard. Which is better?
I prefer Quick Guard on most of my teams to stop things like opposing Talonflame's Brave Bird and Rayquaza Extreme Speed but if you feel you are really weak to Trick Room Taunt can be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)