Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the better nature to run on Assault Vest Landorus-T: Jolly or Adamant?
AV Lando-T tends to want to me more bulky but you can make a case for either of the two natures. Adamant is what I prefer since the extra attack power can help with the EVs leaning towards a bulky spread.

AV Lando-T tends to want to me more bulky but you can make a case for either of the two natures. Adamant is what I prefer since the extra attack power can help with the EVs leaning towards a bulky spread.
Thanks. Do you have a suggestion for an EV spread then? I was told on the last page to just run 252 Atk / 252 Spe.

2015 masters world champ ran a Jolly AV Landorus though. To be fair, the EV spread isn't known but I think it was something like max attack and then the rest in hp and defenses

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
2015 masters world champ ran a Jolly AV Landorus though. To be fair, the EV spread isn't known but I think it was something like max attack and then the rest in hp and defenses
He ran max speed and attack. I would run max speed Jolly on Lando-t this year to outpseed max primals and other 90s which is very important.

He ran max speed and attack. I would run max speed Jolly on Lando-t this year to outpseed max primals and other 90s which is very important.
I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Anyone have suggestions on an EV spread for Clefairy? I have Intimidate support, and was thinking of EVing it to survive a +2 Moonblast from Xerneas (Calm, 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD), but I do have a way of OHKOing Xerneas (Ferrothorn), so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Still, with Intimidate on my team, and all the special attackers in this format, I don't see myself not heavily investing in SpD.

EDIT: Some Calcs for my spread:

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 147-174 (83 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO **for Quiet Groudon**
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 148-175 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 153-181 (86.4 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy in Harsh Sunshine: 121-144 (68.3 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy in Heavy Rain: 138-163 (77.9 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 173-204 (97.7 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 114-136 (64.4 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
What does Lilligant do? Someone placed with it and I'm curious.
Teeter Dance/Leaf Storm/Sleep Powder/Protect. It's one of the most monstrous things I've faced ever since I played VGC, but I'm pretty sure he's the only one with the sorcery to make it work.

Teeter Dance/Leaf Storm/Sleep Powder/Protect. It's one of the most monstrous things I've faced ever since I played VGC, but I'm pretty sure he's the only one with the sorcery to make it work.
I did it in BW2, it's quite fun once you realize it outspeeds everything in reasonable existence. Imagine this with Prankster Safeguard or Substitute.

So I need to know how to counter the elemental trio. Does Cloud Nine cancel their abilities? Is it possible to nullify their abilities by using a Whimsicott with Worry Seed? I'm just curious.

I am curious, how does one train for a tournament like this?

I know that Ray Rizzo has said he only has like 60 in game hours, part of his defense about not knowing about the Dream Ball Aegislash he was using.

Most of the people I see have people that build teams for them.

I am not knocking Showdown, but I find it does not have the same feel as live battling. I do test when I can on Showdown.

I don't really have anyone to practice with other than random battles, online or on Showdown. When I have tried to hold a league or tournament I am always told that people have a life outside of Pokémon. I understand that, I go to college full-time, work, and have 2 children that are active in sports.

I have always wanted to go to a VGC event, but feel that I am an average player. I would be more into it if I could practice or have that group support when it comes to team building and practice.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Well there can be a lot of ways of going about this. First of all do you have a way of generating pokemon into the cartridges? If so then you can go on BattleSpot, you will be more likely to find higher level people to practice. If not then use Showdoen. You can also join the VGC room and join some tournqments there. After a while started breeding and getting the mons naturally after you have found a team thatndoes enough justice. After that you find tournaments in this forum (they even give out free mons :] ) or in the tournaments forum. You could even attempt to ask people via forum or showdown to help practice with you. Other than that you could try to findnalternatives eays of practice but this is just a simple answer. Oh one more thing, if you feel like your team needs somehing chqnged and you can't find out what should be changed yourself, Smogon also has A rate my team forum. Just make sure to read all the rules first so your thread doesnt get locked. Also look around this part of the forums for resources like the Viability Rankings, Teambuildkng Frameworks and VGC 2016 sets thread. To find tournaments i am pretty sure that the Offkcial site has a tourney locator. Well i hope that helped feel free to leave me a VM on my profile if I can be of assistance

Well there can be a lot of ways of going about this. First of all do you have a way of generating pokemon into the cartridges? If so then you can go on BattleSpot, you will be more likely to find higher level people to practice. If not then use Showdoen. You can also join the VGC room and join some tournqments there. After a while started breeding and getting the mons naturally after you have found a team thatndoes enough justice. After that you find tournaments in this forum (they even give out free mons :] ) or in the tournaments forum. You could even attempt to ask people via forum or showdown to help practice with you. Other than that you could try to findnalternatives eays of practice but this is just a simple answer. Oh one more thing, if you feel like your team needs somehing chqnged and you can't find out what should be changed yourself, Smogon also has A rate my team forum. Just make sure to read all the rules first so your thread doesnt get locked. Also look around this part of the forums for resources like the Viability Rankings, Teambuildkng Frameworks and VGC 2016 sets thread. To find tournaments i am pretty sure that the Offkcial site has a tourney locator. Well i hope that helped feel free to leave me a VM on my profile if I can be of assistance
Yeah that gives me some ideas to start with. Thanks

I have more of an issue with getting Legendary Pokémon. I am not patient enough for the soft-reset legends. I have some decent ones, but not the 5x31 IV or perfect Hidden Power legends.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

I have more of an issue with getting Legendary Pokémon. I am not patient enough for the soft-reset legends. I have some decent ones, but not the 5x31 IV or perfect Hidden Power legends.
The tourny in this subforum should be able to help something else i forgpt to mention is that if you go over to the wi fi forum they have trade threads and giveaways. Maybe try there?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor

The chatroom the tournaments on here use also has people that you can chat with about vgc most of the time.

THeorymon's World of Free Giveaway has a lot of legendaries in particular that you can get.

The chatroom the tournaments on here use also has people that you can chat with about vgc most of the time.

THeorymon's World of Free Giveaway has a lot of legendaries in particular that you can get.
For some reason I am always blocked on the Showdown chats.

I haven't played in awhile, but I have been a member there and battled there for a couple of years.

And I am always kind of reserved with talking on forums. Most forums I get bashed for being a noob. I guess I should be used to the trash talk produced by the internet. I just never understood bashing for asking a question or for a video game in general.

However, I will look up the Theorymon's giveaway thread.

Does M-Rayquaza need ExtremeSpeed? A recent change in my team leaves me with a Ferrothorn weakness, so it was suggested that I take:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Hasty nature
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Dragon Ascent
-Draco Meteor
-ExtremeSpeed
-Protect

...and make it:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Hasty nature
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Dragon Ascent
-Draco Meteor
-Overheat
-Protect

Note the change in EVs as well. What do you all think? Also, is Overheat better than Flamethrower (the latter is what I've seen on Battle Spot) since it can still OHKO Ferrothorn after a SpA drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)