Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm running Trick Room on my team along with Kangaskhan, is an Adamant nature with Hammer Arm and a bulky EV spread the best way to go? If so, is 252 HP / 252 Atk the ideal spread, or is there a better one?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
If I'm running Trick Room on my team along with Kangaskhan, is an Adamant nature with Hammer Arm and a bulky EV spread the best way to go? If so, is 252 HP / 252 Atk the ideal spread, or is there a better one?
Mega Kangaskhan doesn't exactly need to abuse Trick Room to fit on a team utilizing it, using Adamant will often be enough if you really want to take advantage of it. On a Trick Room setup, Mega Kangaskhan's role will often be to pressure Smeargle and help its teammate set up Trick Room more safely. It's also really important to note that when running Trick Room, you don't need your whole team to be able to abuse it. In fact this often makes your team worse, sometimes you'll only have a TR setter + Groudon on your team designed to abuse Trick Room and that will be plenty good enough.

Hi guys. I'm really new in this competitive stuff, but I'm searching here and there. I just get a Timid Latias 97/49/68/79/92/88 and wonder if it is worth keeping it for competitive. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm really new in this competitive stuff, but I'm searching here and there. I just get a Timid Latias 97/49/68/79/92/88 and wonder if it is worth keeping it for competitive. Thank you very much in advance.
Latias has never seen much usage in competitive VGC 2016 play, although I do believe it made an appearance on a Worlds competitor's team, so maybe there's a niche that it satisfies. To figure out just how good your particular Latias is, we'll need to know its IVs, which are a measure of a Pokémon's strengths that are independent of level, EVs, etc. IVs can be determined from stats and EVs. Are you familiar with EVs? If you aren't, then has your Latias been in any battles where it has earned EXP? Also, what level is it?

----

A question of my own:

Wolfe said in this video that his initial plan was to give his Hitmontop hit a Speed stat of 84 (IV of 18-19), since min Speed Primals hit a stat of 85. I understand wanting to underspeed them since he ran Trick Room, but that being the case, why wouldn't you just go total min Speed on Hitmontop (stat of 67)? It's not like Hitmontop is outspeeding much outside of TR...

Latias has never seen much usage in competitive VGC 2016 play, although I do believe it made an appearance on a Worlds competitor's team, so maybe there's a niche that it satisfies. To figure out just how good your particular Latias is, we'll need to know its IVs, which are a measure of a Pokémon's strengths that are independent of level, EVs, etc. IVs can be determined from stats and EVs. Are you familiar with EVs? If you aren't, then has your Latias been in any battles where it has earned EXP? Also, what level is it?

----

A question of my own:

Wolfe said in this video that his initial plan was to give his Hitmontop hit a Speed stat of 84 (IV of 18-19), since min Speed Primals hit a stat of 85. I understand wanting to underspeed them since he ran Trick Room, but that being the case, why wouldn't you just go total min Speed on Hitmontop (stat of 67)? It's not like Hitmontop is outspeeding much outside of TR...
My Latias has 31/25/31/30/31/31. Level 30 and no battles.

I need another restricted Pokémon for my team. My team so far is:

Primal Groudon (mixed)
Mega Kangaskhan
Mega Salamence
Bronzong
Hitmontop

I think my 6th member should be special rather than physical, as my team currently features 0 purely-special Pokémon (2 mixed, 3 purely-physical).

I also want to be well-covered against RayOgre since it's become more popular after Worlds, but the only special restricted Pokémon that comes to mind for that purpose is Dialga, and it's normally a TR user, whereas I already have Bronzong for TR. Primal Kyogre might fit, but I've heard that dual Primals is a difficult team to run, and I don't have much time to adapt to it seeing as how I have a PC in 10 days.

What do you all think?

For the VGC, I'm assuming you have to use the Pokemon you bred yourself with the right IVs/EVs? Is that part of the game troublesome compared to the actual battling portion of it?

For personal reasons I skipped the majority of the VGC2016. What were the most common sets run on the dominating Xerneas, Groudon and Kyogre?

Hi guys, I am trying to get more into VGC this year, and therefore I am trading pokemon with a couple of people, but I want to keep a copy of a few pokemon that I am going to trade. So is there anybody out here who could clone 3-4 pokemon for me? I don't have a big collection of competitive ready pokemon but I would highly appreciate if somebody could do this for me and we can probably work something out :)

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For the VGC, I'm assuming you have to use the Pokemon you bred yourself with the right IVs/EVs? Is that part of the game troublesome compared to the actual battling portion of it?
If you enjoy that part of the game then that's definitely something you should shoot for, there's several people in our wifi forum that actually enjoy breeding and are happy to help out new players if you don't have the time through giveaways of perfect pokemon or spitbacks. I'd also check out the wifi room on ps for real time trading, questions, etc. While official Pokemon company statements say you should breed and ev your own pokemon that's ultimately going to take too long so I'd try and make use of the wonderful people who volunteer their services, just remember to be polite and respectful.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/wi-fi.53/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/giveaways.316/
For personal reasons I skipped the majority of the VGC2016. What were the most common sets run on the dominating Xerneas, Groudon and Kyogre?
Xerneas is almost always running Power Herb Geomancy with Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, and Protect. People have also experimented with Choice Specs and Choice Scarf, but they're far less consistent as are some tech moves people have run before such as Hidden Power Ground and Grass Knot. Groudon has 2-3 main movesets with widely varying ev spreads that are pretty much catered to the player's team you can expect special groudon's to be running some combination of eruption, earth power, hidden power ice, overheat, fire blast, or flamethrower. Physically based groudon are always running precipice blades and fire punch and depending on the team may run swords dance, substitute, or rock slide. mixed groudon's typically always run eruption and precipice blades and the last attack depends on which of those the user wants to hit harder with. The majority of kyogre's are bulkier but you can't always rule out fast ones they typically run a combination of origin pulse, scald, water spout, ice beam, and thunder with protect.
Hi guys, I am trying to get more into VGC this year, and therefore I am trading pokemon with a couple of people, but I want to keep a copy of a few pokemon that I am going to trade. So is there anybody out here who could clone 3-4 pokemon for me? I don't have a big collection of competitive ready pokemon but I would highly appreciate if somebody could do this for me and we can probably work something out :)
I'd check the simple requests thread in the wifi forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/wi-fi.53/ or trying to find a nice user in the wifi room on ps with some spare time.

Xerneas is almost always running Power Herb Geomancy with Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, and Protect. People have also experimented with Choice Specs and Choice Scarf, but they're far less consistent as are some tech moves people have run before such as Hidden Power Ground and Grass Knot. Groudon has 2-3 main movesets with widely varying ev spreads that are pretty much catered to the player's team you can expect special groudon's to be running some combination of eruption, earth power, hidden power ice, overheat, fire blast, or flamethrower. Physically based groudon are always running precipice blades and fire punch and depending on the team may run swords dance, substitute, or rock slide. mixed groudon's typically always run eruption and precipice blades and the last attack depends on which of those the user wants to hit harder with. The majority of kyogre's are bulkier but you can't always rule out fast ones they typically run a combination of origin pulse, scald, water spout, ice beam, and thunder with protect.
Thank you

I need another restricted Pokémon for my team. My team so far is:

Primal Groudon (mixed)
Mega Kangaskhan
Mega Salamence
Bronzong
Hitmontop

I think my 6th member should be special rather than physical, as my team currently features 0 purely-special Pokémon (2 mixed, 3 purely-physical).

I also want to be well-covered against RayOgre since it's become more popular after Worlds, but the only special restricted Pokémon that comes to mind for that purpose is Dialga, and it's normally a TR user, whereas I already have Bronzong for TR. Primal Kyogre might fit, but I've heard that dual Primals is a difficult team to run, and I don't have much time to adapt to it seeing as how I have a PC in 10 days.

What do you all think?
...Xerneas?

is there anywhere I can find common or standard sets/spreads for relevant pokemon? showdown's stats only shows me so much and the strategy pokedex doesn't have much either. I'm trying to put together a team and I'm doing a few damage calculations but I'm not entirely sure what I'm actually going to have to worry about.

Does anyone have a good ferrothorn ev spread I could. Unfortunately the dex doesn't have one :( . My team has intimidate support if that helps

max hp / 204 atk / 52 spdef sassy is usually your best bet, although versions with 60 and 68 spdef exists (the former is leftover after you invest to ohko xern and the latter is if you need to take hits from both xern and kyogre without risk of being 2hkoed) at the moment though, ferro is outshined by bronzong but i'm assuming you need a better kyogre switchin than what zong provides.

I'm currently trying out Aaron Traylor's team (minus his EVs and a few of his natures). I'm not going to argue with a team that got top 8 at Worlds; however, in testing, I hardly ever use Smeargle. Is it needed on that team? If not, what would be a good replacement for it? Mega Kangaskhan? Any other ideas?

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Smeargle is one of the best mons on that team. The general strategy is to lead Smeargle Mence and get a bunch of damage plus sleep off. Then sack them both and get one of your psychics and Groudon in and set up the sweep for Groudon. I've been using the team at a few premier challenges with a lot of success and most of the time I don't even bring Xern. You mainly want it against opposing Rayquaza.

Why would someone use a mega salamence instead of rayquerza? Isn't it too much of an opportunity cost? Or is intimidate really that good? I don't play vgc myself, so I might be missing something.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Salamence can fill the same role of type-resisting Groudon, while offering Intimidate support and freeing up one restricted slot.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Generally speaking, Rayquaza is a "better" mon than Salamence in most respects and would otherwise seem strictly superior than Mega Salamence in a vacuum, but the legend restriction plays a major role in using Salamence over Rayquaza. While Salamence doesn't have the offensive power and item utility that Rayquaza does, it plays the role of a "pseudo-Rayquaza" without using one of the two restricted slots on your team, which in turn makes it easier to fit onto a team in the VGC16 format (though it is way more difficult to justify Mence over Ray in a less restricted format such as Doubles Ubers). It doesn't have the amazing utility of Delta Stream or Air Lock but Intimidate and Aerilate while not using a restricted slot definitely make up for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)