VGC 2014 Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot to account for Garchomp and its mega for sandstorm teams. It may be slightly unusual to run both t-tar and chomp, but normal chomp gets sand veil, which isn't banned in VGC, and mega gets sand-force, which'll definitely help to sweep. Mega-chomp might even be viable in TR teams, with a negative nature and 0 IVs.
And yes, this IS in the wrong sub-forum. I think you should request a mod to create a VGC 2014 thread.
Chomp and tar as unusual? In vgc 2012 and the beginning of 2013 they were almost commonplace...

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
The rules also state any official event pokemon, which blaziken is
Blaziken is not Kalos Dex though, it is illegal to use. Replace the phrase "You may use" with "You shall use" and you have the intent of the rules.

This is a separate statement though.

Imo it's 2 separate entities. So eg. they make an event Zapdos with some event moves, that will be legal. Event Blaziken is not because it is not in the Kalos Pokedex.

That is how I am understanding the rules.

9.1. Standard Format
The Standard format is the standard tournament format for Play! Pokémon video game events. This
format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Standard format for the 2014
season will use the following restrictions:

 Only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
 Players may use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos
Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.
 Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
 Pokémon are allowed to Mega Evolve.
 Pokémon above Level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration
of battle.
 Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
 Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, the
Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.

I think it's pretty clear that Blaziken won't be allowed. The only place where it mentions event pokemon are when a pokemon learns a move from an event, or an item is distributed via an event

9.1. Standard Format
The Standard format is the standard tournament format for Play! Pokémon video game events. This
format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Standard format for the 2014
season will use the following restrictions:

 Only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
 Players may use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos
Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.
 Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
 Pokémon are allowed to Mega Evolve.
 Pokémon above Level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration
of battle.
 Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
 Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, the
Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.

I think it's pretty clear that Blaziken won't be allowed. The only place where it mentions event pokemon are when a pokemon learns a move from an event, or an item is distributed via an event
My apologies, good sir! You are correct!

What will the ruling on sketched moves be? Sketch itself is learned by level up... But the moves copied with it aren't.
So Dark Void isn't:
-Learned by leveling up
-Learned with TM or HM
-As an egg move
-From a character in-game
-A move already known by the Pokemon <snip>
Ad verbatim this would mean that Smeargle would only be allowed... to learn Sketch.

Maybe someone should mail Nintendo for clarification?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
What will the ruling on sketched moves be? Sketch itself is learned by level up... But the moves copied with it aren't.
So Dark Void isn't:
-Learned by leveling up
-Learned with TM or HM
-As an egg move
-From a character in-game
-A move already known by the Pokemon <snip>
Ad verbatim this would mean that Smeargle would only be allowed... to learn Sketch.

Maybe someone should mail Nintendo for clarification?
Dark Void is legal, for now. There was clarification on the discussion thread on Nugget Bridge.

Not that I support hacked mons, but the argument that breeding takes skill strikes me as pretty silly. I am aware, though, that gf has made it much easier to breed perfect ivs more quickly. But, in all honesty, why should gf want us to grind? They don't benefit financially from more hours played by us, it's not an mmo with monthly subscription. And so it seems to me that they should work to eliminate pointless grind almost completely and cater even further to pvp.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I just used it as an example, for Dark Void insert ANY move sketched by Smeargle.
Any moves learned via Sketch are legal, they just thought that was implied with the wording. Really wish people would stop looking too deep into these rules.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not that I support hacked mons, but the argument that breeding takes skill strikes me as pretty silly. I am aware, though, that gf has made it much easier to breed perfect ivs more quickly. But, in all honesty, why should gf want us to grind? They don't benefit financially from more hours played by us, it's not an mmo with monthly subscription. And so it seems to me that they should work to eliminate pointless grind almost completely and cater even further to pvp.
It doesn't take that long to get a level 50 Pokemon thats competition worthy. You can go from level 1 to 50 in an hour or two battling in Le Wow with a Lucky Egg and XP O-Power; faster if you trade. EV training takes an hour or two tops. And you can always AFK level in the day care if you must.

Is it any worse than the card game?

Im actually loving the metagame.

No Hitmontop, Cresselia, Genies, Terrakion, Lati@s, Gastrodon, Togekiss, Metagross, Breloom, Heatran, etc.

Now we can actually play strategies instead been forced to play the same 20ish good stuff pokes over and over.

The ONLY rule I really dislike is the introduction of Dark Void Smeargle to VGC. However, we still have a month and half of healthy metagame.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Smeargle will definitely be a pain. But I look at it this way: Mega Kankaskhan can double Fake Out, and if its running scarf its not running focus sash, which makes it incredibly frail. Moody will only be a problem if you let it be a problem.

I do have a question,

can I BREED with pokemon that aren't in the Kalos Dex, even if I don't use them? ex: Conkeldurr with Hitmonchan to get Mach Punch Conk

Im actually loving the metagame.

No Hitmontop, Cresselia, Genies, Terrakion, Lati@s, Gastrodon, Togekiss, Metagross, Breloom, Heatran, etc.

Now we can actually play strategies instead been forced to play the same 20ish good stuff pokes over and over.

The ONLY rule I really dislike is the introduction of Dark Void Smeargle to VGC. However, we still have a month and half of healthy metagame.
I'm digging the no Cress/genies. But I really wanted to use Togekiss :(

Smeargle will definitely be a pain. But I look at it this way: Mega Kankaskhan can double Fake Out, and if its running scarf its not running focus sash, which makes it incredibly frail. Moody will only be a problem if you let it be a problem.
I played Smeargle as my lead in my Hyper Offensive team during the begining of the format (singles, obviously). I can tell you for a fact that Smeargle now shits on Fake Out because of King's Shield.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
252 HP 252 Spe
+Spe
Dark Void
King's Shield
2 more support moves

I played Smeargle as my lead in my Hyper Offensive team during the begining of the format (singles, obviously). I can tell you for a fact that Smeargle now shits on Fake Out because of King's Shield.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
252 HP 252 Spe
+Spe
Dark Void
King's Shield
2 more support moves
What about Rage Powder/Protect?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The most obnoxious changes is overall time back to 15 from 20 and 45 seconds per move as opposed to 60 seconds. As I saw all too well at many live events that time is sometimes necessary. I hope they restore it for Nationals and Worlds as it ought to be.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
252 HP 252 Spe
+Spe
Dark Void
King's Shield
2 more support moves
Doesn't Prankster Meowstick trump King's Shield with Fake-Out?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Prankster won't affect Fake Out, so no. On the bright side, you could just taunt Smeargle if it uses King's Shield.
Indeed. Kings Shield leaves it completely vulnerable to non-damage moves, which leaves it wide open. Smeargle would be better off running Protect over King's Shield in VGC for that reason.

On the other hand, a Feint user is always a fun surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)