VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Trying to figure out some different EV spreads for VGC, what are the jump points for lv. 50? Is it like, every other one for lv 100?
In order to prevent wasted EVs, follow this easy to follow guide:

If the IV is odd (31), make sure EV/8 has a remainder of 0.5. IE 252/8 = 31.5.
If the IV is even (30), EV/8 is a whole number. IE 248/8 = 31.

This is due to level 50 mechanics.

In order to prevent wasted EVs, follow this easy to follow guide:

If the IV is odd (31), make sure EV/8 has a remainder of 0.5. IE 252/8 = 31.5.
If the IV is even (30), EV/8 is a whole number. IE 248/8 = 31.

This is due to level 50 mechanics.
I'm aware of that. I was referring to the jump points for natures.

A nature boosts a stat by 10%, yes? Meaning that every once in a while, instead of gaining +1 to a stat, you gain +2. I'm trying to find where those boosts happen, so I can know how many EVs I should put in to hit that point.

A nature boosts a stat by 10%, yes? Meaning that every once in a while, instead of gaining +1 to a stat, you gain +2. I'm trying to find where those boosts happen, so I can know how many EVs I should put in to hit that point.
I think this guide have what you are looking for: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/making-good-ev-spreads/

I sure heard (or read) somewhere about what you are asking but right now that link is the better answer I can give you.

Been mucking around on doubles for a bit and was wondering whether Assault Vest was viable on Rhyperior? Does it turn any OHKOs into 2KHOs? Or is he better running something like expert belt or liechi berry?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Been mucking around on doubles for a bit and was wondering whether Assault Vest was viable on Rhyperior? Does it turn any OHKOs into 2KHOs? Or is he better running something like expert belt or liechi berry?
Assault Vest might be good for certain attacks (and paired with Solid Rock its not bad), but any attack that is 4x super effective will still likely OHKO.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 183-219 (82.4 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- best case scenario with a severe loss of offenses
116+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 252-300 (113.5 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- something more typical for both Rotom and Rhyperior

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 153-183 (68.9 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 211-250 (95 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 142-168 (63.9 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On a side note you'll tank special hits better than an Eviolite Rhydon:

116+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 291-345 (137.2 - 162.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 177-210 (83.4 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 164-193 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Assault Vest might be good for certain attacks (and paired with Solid Rock its not bad), but any attack that is 4x super effective will still likely OHKO.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 183-219 (82.4 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- best case scenario with a severe loss of offenses
116+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 252-300 (113.5 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- something more typical for both Rotom and Rhyperior

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 153-183 (68.9 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 211-250 (95 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 142-168 (63.9 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On a side note you'll tank special hits better than an Eviolite Rhydon:

116+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 291-345 (137.2 - 162.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 177-210 (83.4 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Rhydon: 164-193 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thanks this was really thorough- I think I might stick with expert belt for now as the things he survives seem pretty situational and he's not gonna want to stay in on a rotom anyway

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Not that it's particularly relevant, considering the focus is Rhyperior there anyway, but Rhydon doesn't get Solid Rock.

As far as EVing for "jump points" (hitting xx0 in a stat for the extra point via nature), 1 Base Stat = 1 Actual Stat at Lv50. Assuming a 30-31 IV, a base stat with an 8 in the ones digit (e.g. Infernape's 108 Speed) will end in zero at 0 EVs. That said, it's easier just to open up your favorite teambuilder (I use Showdown's) and play with the numbers directly than try to math everything out in your head or on paper.

What is the fastest pokemon to learn Fake Out + Quick Guard? Does Meowstic-M's Prankster turn them from +3 priority to +4? I've been using Scrafty but he's easily outsped by opposing Fake Out and Quick Guard. Are there any websites where I could get a list of pokemon that get a certain move or set of moves and sort them by stat?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
What is the fastest pokemon to learn Fake Out + Quick Guard? Does Meowstic-M's Prankster turn them from +3 priority to +4? I've been using Scrafty but he's easily outsped by opposing Fake Out and Quick Guard. Are there any websites where I could get a list of pokemon that get a certain move or set of moves and sort them by stat?
Prankster does indeed boost Quick Guard, giving Meowstic the fastest Quick Guard in the game.

As for other Fake Out users, see this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/fake-out-quick-guard-speed-tiers.3495818/

Dumb question, but is there an entry fee for VGC Regionals? I'm flat broke but I want to attend the Long Beach one if I can scrape together some gas money.

hey dumb question 2, when playing competitive pokemon in a "Best of 3"....are you allowed to change 1 or 2 of your pokemon before starting the second match?....something like counterpick XD

Absolutely.

EDIT: If by that you mean choose a different 4 of your 6. If you mean can you change in a 7th Pokemon and use it, then no. Battle Boxes are locked at the start of the tournament.

Absolutely.

EDIT: If by that you mean choose a different 4 of your 6. If you mean can you change in a 7th Pokemon and use it, then no. Battle Boxes are locked at the start of the tournament.
ty!

yeah, i know you can change you party lead before starting the 2nd match but didnt know u couldnt change a pokemon of your battle box

Edit: sorry about my engrish...not native lenguage x)

ty!

yeah, i know you can change you party lead before starting the 2nd match but didnt know u couldnt change a pokemon of your battle box

Edit: sorry about my engrish...not native lenguage x)
No problem, I just didn't read carefully enough. xD But any counters or alternate strategies need to be worked into your 6.

There is no fee, and as a result the prizes aren't that great. I wouldn't mind it being fee based though
Yeah that's understandable, but I'm assuming they do that so the youngins can go. I can easily pay for the gas money and food for a day trip to Long Beach though. Hopefully my schedule lets me give it a shot this year.

*EDIT* Dangit, it's on Sunday and not Saturday. I didn't know VGC was Sunday and TCG was Saturday. Can't make it :/

Anyways, to not stray off topic - How many Speed EVs do I need on a Jolly, Choice Scarfed Cloyster to outspeed it's main VGC threats? How about its main threats when they are holding Scarves themselves?

Last edited:

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Yeah that's understandable, but I'm assuming they do that so the youngins can go. I can easily pay for the gas money and food for a day trip to Long Beach though. Hopefully my schedule lets me give it a shot this year.

*EDIT* Dangit, it's on Sunday and not Saturday. I didn't know VGC was Sunday and TCG was Saturday. Can't make it :/

Anyways, to not stray off topic - How many Speed EVs do I need on a Jolly, Choice Scarfed Cloyster to outspeed it's main VGC threats? How about its main threats when they are holding Scarves themselves?
This is an interesting one, since a lot of speed tiers changed this year...

I'd think you'd need Adamant just for the damage output, which would mean 112 stat speed (172 EVs, Adamant) + scarf to outspeed Jolly Garchomp (that'd be the bare minimum imo) and 121 stat speed (244 EVs, Adamant) to outspeed Adamant Talonflame. 112 would be the best if you feel like you need a touch of Special Defense.

If you went Jolly, 92 EVs would hit 112 and 156 would hit 121 (and 121 is a double uptick/8) so both of those are also pretty good if you don't want the extra damage output from Adamant.

Again though, make sure you have a good reason for not using Adamant- damage is usually king on a Pokemon like Cloyster, where it already has enough physical bulk and I'm not 100% sure it could take any big special hits.

Again though, make sure you have a good reason for not using Adamant- damage is usually king on a Pokemon like Cloyster, where it already has enough physical bulk and I'm not 100% sure it could take any big special hits.
Thanks for the detailed calcs!

I've been running Jolly right now to make sure I 100% outspeed anything non-scarfed, since I'm not great at these calcs myself. It's surprised a lot of people and has netted me some clutch wins, but there are times when I wish I had that 10% damage increase, especially when it's too frail to take many Super Effective SpA hits regardless of nature. I'll probably switch to Adamant and see if I have any trouble with that.

A question. Is mixed Abomasnow viable right now? i was thinking something like this
EVs: 132 Atk / 252 SpA / 124 speed.
Naive nature, focus sash/Choice scarf
Snow warning

The purpose of this abomasnow (loosely based of nuggetbridges) was mainly for OHKO Calm rotom wash and bringing pressure on the opponents team with it's STAB blizzard.
I originally had talonflame as it's partner with gale wings and tailwind to boost it's spead even more, the main problem though, is that i have lots of problem with Kangaskhan-M Which often OHKO or 2HKO with return:(
Any opinion on this set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)