Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how come there hasn't been a VGC 2020 Viability Thread made?
I enjoy reading up on Viability Lists to see the current state of certain metas and what to use

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how come there hasn't been a VGC 2020 Viability Thread made?
I enjoy reading up on Viability Lists to see the current state of certain metas and what to use
Nobody seems to have bothered with making one. Right now is also an odd time to go making it as the whole meta is about to shift with home's imminent release.

I want to make a team with G Max Lapras (for friendly matches and hopefully it'll get legalised in March). What would be some good teammates for it? My set is a Special Attacking set with Weakness Policy, as it's very bulky and has lots of weaknesses, so it can trigger it pretty reliably.

I want to make a team with G Max Lapras (for friendly matches and hopefully it'll get legalised in March). What would be some good teammates for it? My set is a Special Attacking set with Weakness Policy, as it's very bulky and has lots of weaknesses, so it can trigger it pretty reliably.
Set Up Sweepers like Dragon Dance Gyarados and Clangorous Soul Kommo-o make good options. Consider adding Intimidate support and Lightning Rod to aid set up.

Is Snorlax a good Gmax user in VGC2020? Is this a good teammate for Gmax Snorlax?
Chandelure @ focus sash
Ability: infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet nature
- trick room
- memento
- curse
- energy ball
If this moveset is bad, what's better?

Is Snorlax a good Gmax user in VGC2020? Is this a good teammate for Gmax Snorlax?
Chandelure @ focus sash
Ability: infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet nature
- trick room
- memento
- curse
- energy ball
If this moveset is bad, what's better?
To answer your question, yes Snorlax is a very strong G Max user in VGC 2020. Belly Drum + Gluttony is as good as ever, and G Max Replenish can make it very tough to break.

As for Chandelure though, IMO it’s not very good. Frail, common weaknesses and t can’t scratch Incineroar, who is likely going to be a common threat. I would suggest using any of Dusclops, Mimikyu, Jellicent or Runerigus as a TR setter on a Snorlax team. Dusclops has amazing bulk with Eviolite and can use Ally Switch to save it from a Fighting move; Mimikyu can nearly always get TR set up thanks to Disguise, especially with Fake Out support; Jellicent has a strong STAB spread move in Water Spout; Runerigus can take opponents abilities with Wandering Spirit.
Reuniclus and Hatterene can work too if you want something more powerful.

Hope it helps

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The main reason to use chandelure is because it has access to both imprison and trick room, which can help a lot against opposing hard trick room teams. Since you're using trick room yourself, this probably does not apply to you, so one of the other trick room setters (like in the above post) would be better.

You can look at other successful teams with snorlax on sites like vgcstats and get more info on pikalytics

Oké, so...I'm confused. I'm looking on Pikalytics, and it says Knock Off is doing a max of 98,4% of Dragapult's HP, but it's a guaranteed OHKO? That can't be right, can it? If it IS right, can someone please explain to me why? (The percent damage is lower without an item and it says it's a guaranteed 2HKO. I switched between the two a few times to see if the possible error would repeat, and it did. I also checked, and neither Crit nor Max were selected below for Drapion, and Max (so the HP increase) was not selected for Dragapult)

1585465851447.png

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have no idea why you're using pikalytics for anything other than usage stats but well...
https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/
252 Atk Drapion Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 164-194 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (164, 164, 168, 170, 170, 174, 176, 176, 180, 182, 182, 186, 188, 188, 192, 194)

I have no idea why you're using pikalytics for anything other than usage stats but well...
https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/
252 Atk Drapion Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 164-194 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (164, 164, 168, 170, 170, 174, 176, 176, 180, 182, 182, 186, 188, 188, 192, 194)
Thank you for linking a better calculator! I'll use it from now on. And that settles that - guaranteed OHKO!

So...Cloud Nine negates the effects of weather but does not stop weather entirely; does this stop things like Chlorophyll from activating whilst the Pokémon with Cloud Nine is on the field?

So...Cloud Nine negates the effects of weather but does not stop weather entirely; does this stop things like Chlorophyll from activating whilst the Pokémon with Cloud Nine is on the field?
Yes, Chlorophyll will not activate while a pokemon with cloud nine is on the field.

Thank you so much! I think it's also logical to conclude that accuracy changes based on weather also do not come into effect, such as Hurricane never missing in Rain then, right?
Cloud 9 wipes out all weather effects, so while the Cloud 9 mon is on the field there effectively is no weather. It’s why Golduck had a minor niche in VGC 2019 - it could negate Primal Groudon’s Desolate Land and OHkO with STAB Hydro Pump/Vortex.

will we get a VGC21 format in the future?
world cups this year is cancelled and I was just wondering how VGC21 will be

I have a question about speed benchmark for pokémon with average speed, like Duraludon. If I'm using it with tailwind support, do I need to max out speed? I mean, with tailwind, it can outspeed Dragapult without full speed investment. So, what speed should I aim for? Even at max speed, it won't outspeed Excadrill without tailwind. So max speed would kinda be a waste.

The first part of my thinking is that, if my opponent has a lot of faster pokemon (Dragapult, Inteleon, scarf Dracovish, etc.), I bring my Whimsciott for tailwind. I give Duraludon enough EVs in speed to outspeed Dragapult. I obviously max out special attack, and then I can give him some extra bulk with the EVs I didn't have to put in speed.

For slower pokémon like Rhyperior, Torkoal, Dusclops, etc, Duraludon will outspeed them without any speed investment. Let's not talk about trick room, they're slower, so they would move first anyway. Here, the key is to prevent/deal with trick room, which isn't related to my question, so let's not talk about that.

The second part of my thinking is that, if my opponent has a lot of average speed pokemon (Tyranitar, Rotom, Togekiss, etc), it could be possible to use an other pokemon than Whimsicott (for say, more offensive pressure, or different utility). My Duraludon would just need enough speed to outspeed them. So, what would be the benchmark pokemon to outspeed without tailwind?

I was maybe thinking about common Rotom sets, common Togekiss sets, rare jolly Tyranitar set.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I have a question about speed benchmark for pokémon with average speed, like Duraludon. If I'm using it with tailwind support, do I need to max out speed? I mean, with tailwind, it can outspeed Dragapult without full speed investment. So, what speed should I aim for? Even at max speed, it won't outspeed Excadrill without tailwind. So max speed would kinda be a waste.

The first part of my thinking is that, if my opponent has a lot of faster pokemon (Dragapult, Inteleon, scarf Dracovish, etc.), I bring my Whimsciott for tailwind. I give Duraludon enough EVs in speed to outspeed Dragapult. I obviously max out special attack, and then I can give him some extra bulk with the EVs I didn't have to put in speed.

For slower pokémon like Rhyperior, Torkoal, Dusclops, etc, Duraludon will outspeed them without any speed investment. Let's not talk about trick room, they're slower, so they would move first anyway. Here, the key is to prevent/deal with trick room, which isn't related to my question, so let's not talk about that.

The second part of my thinking is that, if my opponent has a lot of average speed pokemon (Tyranitar, Rotom, Togekiss, etc), it could be possible to use an other pokemon than Whimsicott (for say, more offensive pressure, or different utility). My Duraludon would just need enough speed to outspeed them. So, what would be the benchmark pokemon to outspeed without tailwind?

I was maybe thinking about common Rotom sets, common Togekiss sets, rare jolly Tyranitar set.
Use a speed tier chart and see what you can outspeed with different things on your team: https://www.trainertower.com/vgc20-speed-tiers/

I don't see the Battle Stadium Doubles stats on this month...usage stats. Is it VGC2020 only now? Because I remember both being at the same time, tho I never understood what was really the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)