Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Look, all I'm saying is...

image.jpg

Game of the Year. 2020.

GAME OF THE YEAR. 2020.

GAME OF THE YEAR!!! 2020!!!!

GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!! 2020!!!!!!!

Other than that, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX and possibly the Sword and Shield Expansion Passes are on my radar.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
Pokemon is too big for some random indie knockoff to topple overnight. I don't plan on playing TemTem (I probably wouldn't pick up Pokemon if it wasn't already a game I played and am familiar with), and while it might enjoy some temporary popularity, labeling it a competitor to Pokemon is... generous at best.
Pokemon is the highest grossing franchise of all time, it's insane to even propose such a competition in the first place. TemTem is just a good-looking indie game. It might be good but it's still just an indie game.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking more in terms of game style as opposed to market share. Obviously Pokemon is an insurmountable giant currently, but maybe if it does take off it will be good to have a viable alternative to act as a foil or pressure agent.
Or maybe it flops. Anything can happen.

The mmo part of temtem is making it into quite a fun game if you can look past the mass of bugs! It anyone wants to link up or chat bout in game hmu and join my disc server.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Played ring fit for the first time several months this morning. Finished the workout successfully but threw up afterwards...dont think workout games will be as tolerant to returning players as digital ones!!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
A few days ago I finished The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3, and it is one of the best RPGs I've played. While the Trails series has always been known for its writing, the highlight here was the battling system, which improves on the system of previous games by adding Battle Orders (more on this later) and controls inspired on Persona 5. The new controls make the game so much more fluid to play and didn't make me regret the decision to get a PS4 to play it instead of waiting for the PC version to come out. Speaking of this, the game is coming out for PC and Nintendo Switch in March, so it's the perfect time to start playing the series if you aren't already!

A friend challenged me to play the game in Nightmare mode, and I was a bit uneasy at first, knowing how grindy jrpgs tend to be in the highest difficulty. But to my surprise it was not the case, the game felt pretty fair throughout, and while there were some seemingly impossible fights, it was always possible to find a strategy to beat it without having to grind more. People acquainted with the series probably know the feeling, as previous games were more grindy (or required using dumb broken strategies like Delay spam in CS2), so this game was quite refreshing in that sense. The and re-balancing of characters (broken ones like Rean, Alisa and Jusis were noticeably weaker here) make the gameplay more fun that any Trails game before, and the new Battle Orders add a new dimension to strategies and allow you to get creative in fights if you know the details of turn order. Really fun to play and I'd certainly recommend Nightmare mode to any veteran players of the series.

Other aspects I enjoyed were the fishing system (by far the best in the series, as it used to be rather frustrating), and the Hearthstone-style card game which was quite fun to play even if the AI wasn't too hard. Honestly, it would have been amazing if they had added a way to play that game vs your friends.

I was thinking more in terms of game style as opposed to market share. Obviously Pokemon is an insurmountable giant currently, but maybe if it does take off it will be good to have a viable alternative to act as a foil or pressure agent.
Or maybe it flops. Anything can happen.
Yeah, I think Pokemon is a franchise that's fairly ripe for competitors to come in and potentially do the same thing better. The gameplay is very simplistic, the graphics in SS look worse than games that are 10+ years old, etc; there's not much that couldn't be replicated by someone else. Except for the fact that it's a multimedia franchise and has a huge history, but everything has to start somewhere.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I’m playing through The Last Of Us atm and it’s stressing me the fUck out

Yeah, I think Pokemon is a franchise that's fairly ripe for competitors to come in and potentially do the same thing better. The gameplay is very simplistic, the graphics in SS look worse than games that are 10+ years old, etc; there's not much that couldn't be replicated by someone else. Except for the fact that it's a multimedia franchise and has a huge history, but everything has to start somewhere.
The problem is really that doing the same thing better isn't enough to dethrone Pokemon. Pokemon isn't just the main game series, there's also spinoffs, the anime, manga, the TCG, a whole variety of toys and plushies and other merchandise, and the general name and reputation Pokemon has built for itself over the last 20 years. Everyone has heard of Pokemon. 50 year old boomers who have never touched a video game in their lives have heard of Pokemon. Pokemon has fundamentally rooted itself in our culture, and dislodging it would take not only making a better competitor to the game series but also years (if not decades) and absurd amounts of money and marketing.

I would love to see some healthy competition to Pokemon arise as maybe that would mean GameFreak gets their act together and things like the Sword/Shield debacle are less likely to happen, but I'm not at all optimistic that TemTem is going to be that competition in any meaningful way.

Blasphemous is a chilling, emotional, and grueling journey through some of the most beautifully illustrated environments ever put to side scrolling platformer pixel. The game uses Christian iconocraphy and Spanish gothic aesthetics to make an entirely new, brutal dark fantasy setting based around an ironfisted medieval theocracy nothing short of being called Christpunk. We play as a nameless member of the Brotherhood, the last survivor of this clan, who has taken a vow of silence as his penance to appease The Grevious Miracle. Only after surviving the Three Humiliations may some answers be unveiled.

The combat is stellar and difficult, rewarding quick reflexes alongside smart play. The masterful soundtrack graces haunting voice acting and a spiraling story of sin, penance, and mystery. Each boss is a unique encounter and gruesome story to uncover, every small puzzle and enemy keeps the player on their toes, and a mere screen change can throw a fresh surprise at our hero. This is a game not for the easily frustrated or faint of heart but a worthy and unforgettable experience for those willing to muster the gauntlet.

My personal favorite game of 2019. (Sorry Sekiro.)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Valkyria Chronicles 4 just used honorable discharge as an innuendo for masturbation and it's probably the single best piece of writing in the whole series.

EDIT: Holy shit they just said CQC... this feels like a translator overstepping themselves and frankly I'm all for it so far.

Last edited:
Folks, any of you tired of pokémon's RNG and is trying their hand at trophy/achievement hunting?
My primary account on PSN is Scemopagliaccioh and I just finished the ps4 version of DMC1, which coupled with the rest made me reach the top 50 of TT regarding trophies of the DMC Series, all I have left is DMC2 (ugh) cleanup and getting serious with DMC5, I heard it's very hard, but I should be able to manage after Furi and DMC4, I'm also trying for the top 100 hack and slash worldwide, currently I'm 140-ish, but it's hard finding those games.
After that, I need to do some cleanup from other games and get my %age to at least 80% (which is very hard, as I have dozens of games I haven't played), from games such as Uncharted 2 and 3 for the ps4, Rise of the Tomb Raider (this game is hell on earth, it has around 120 fucking trophies), Diablo 3's huge class and bounty grinding etc. What about you? What are you setting your sights on?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
XSeed are incompetent so I’m cheating
55765E08-384B-4B19-86E4-5F25B8AABCC2.jpeg

Btw if ur like me and wanna buy this early, make sure to get the Hong Kong or Taiwan version bc the Jp version doesn’t have English.

Is Granblue Versus any good? I wanna start playing fgs consistently again but I only have SFV and UNIST on my PS4, and I don't wanna mess with my Xbox (where most of my fgs were, i got them b4 i got my PS4) for a while.

Martin

Is Granblue Versus any good? I wanna start playing fgs consistently again but I only have SFV and UNIST on my PS4, and I don't wanna mess with my Xbox (where most of my fgs were, i got them b4 i got my PS4) for a while.
I played the demo at EGX back in November and thought it was outstanding, and based on my brief conversations with other FGC ppl it’s been received very well overall. I’ve only pissed around in training a little last night since buying it, but I can’t imagine there were any major mechanical adjustments between the demo and final versions.

It’s also got a really low barrier of entry relative to most other FGs, as it was designed for an audience that will largely be coming from a gatcha/RPG background, so it should be very easy to pick up if you’ve not played FGs in a while.
  • Simple controls (6 button fighter)
  • Very ground-based+footsies-based (no air-dashes etc)—easy to pick up coming from a SF background
  • Alternative 1-button special inputs with more cooldown for when you’re still getting used to the proper inputs—assuming you don’t have the muscle memory already (special inputs are all basic FG inputs: QCF, QCB, DP, HCF, HCB, double QCF, double QCB, charge back, charge down)
  • Relatively small cast for the moment—easy to mess around with everyone to figure out who you like.

i cant afford too heavy into gaming this year since i recently helped my family close on a home.... and spent a lot last year on games and backlogged THE HELL out of myself LOL.... that said im still gonna get the Sword expansion and Animal Crossing. i havent really checked for other things. excuse the ignorant question; but is breath of the wild 2 slated for this year? if so that too. i want the FF7 remake too but alas all i have is a Switch and I cant be assed [aka pretend I dont wanna grab the controller] to second hand play/watch my siblings lol.

Martin

I picked Celeste up for the first time in a few months and started working through the B sides I’ve not completed yet. I forgot how utterly outstanding this game is.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Spent the last month or so playing through Ultimate Doom and Doom II for the first time, on the Switch port. Of course nobody needs me to tell them that these games are good, but I really want to reiterate that you should absolutely play these games if you never have, especially Ultimate Doom.

The strength of Doom lies in its monsters, whose designs serve two major purposes. First, they make the player move, and second, they make the player prioritize. Fireballers force you to strafe, meleers force you backward, and hitscanners force you behind cover. Generally the targeting priority is Shotgunner -> Pinky -> Baron -> Lost Soul -> Caco -> Imp -> Zombieman, but that can change depending on the situation. If you have a lot of room to run, you can afford to ignore Pinkies longer; if you're low on health, Zombiemen are suddenly a top threat.

Doom II's additions layer onto the original game well, creating additional depth and more intricate patterns. The Super Shotgun, with its 20 pellets but horrible spread, adds an important piece Doom was missing, which is something that forces you forward toward the enemy. Revenants' homing missiles force the player to circle; Mancubi's cannons are superficially similar to fireballers but force a much more complicated strafe pattern. As you might expect of a sequel, the new enemies are basically all stronger than the old ones, forcing you to prioritize in new ways.

Despite that, I do think Doom is the better game of the two, which mostly comes down to map length. Ultimate Doom's Episode 4 and many maps in Doom II are too long between save points, which can lead to frustration with repeated death and encourage safe play (unless you save scum I guess), which just isn't the funnest way to play Doom. The original three Doom episodes are an incredible romp. The shorter Doom II levels such as Suburbs are wonderful, maybe better than anything Doom has to offer, but you have to suffer through a few too many Chasms and Industrial Zones.

I also think that Doom II has some frustrating self-contradictions in its design that the original Doom never does. Pinkies are supposed to control space and force the player backward, but in II they can easily be one-shot, basically making them pointless. The Pain Elemental forces you off the Shotgun (your go-to weapon since everything else chews through ammo), since you have to stun-lock it to win, but weapon switching is painfully slow. The Archvile forces you to prioritize it first, since it does a million damage, has tons of HP, and can resurrect any other monster—so why can it run so fucking fast, making it nearly impossible to hit? I dunno, I get that tension between conflicting goals is what gives games challenge, but all of these kinda just felt like bullshit to me while playing. There were multiple times in Doom II where I said to myself "Well, I've already fucked it, I might as well just run forward and see what lies ahead so I know for the next life;" I just feel like the game is too focused on memorization with all of the nearly unreactable new enemies.

Overall though I highly recommend both games. At the very least, if you have never played Knee Deep In The Dead before, please do yourself a favor and play it right now. It definitely deserves its place near the pinnacle of "best game of all time" discussions.

Idk if you guys watched the new DQV movie "your story" but it was so good it made me want to replay DQV for the ps2... man this game is so epic, I'm 21 hours in, about 6 chapters away from final boss... Main char is Lv28 but now I gotta grind my kids and catch em up :psycry:

Temtem is a game that does interest me, I was always a big fan of "Pokemon-like" games I'm in no rush atm to get it but eventually I will.

Recently got back into Dead By Daylight (needed a break after grinding for people's perks I wanted for like a month) and been replaying Pokemon SoulSilver. I beat Sun a few weeks ago. I think I'ma replay White/Black 2 or Omega Ruby. I also got gifted Dragon Quest 7 & 8 (LOVED THIS on PS2) for my 2DSXL, I'm looking forward to (in 8's case: re-)playing those too.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
"When the war is over, everyone can work in my factory back in our hometown."

Here we see Riley of Valkyria Chronicles 4 killing half her squad.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I spent the last week playing through Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

With the level of polish and content it has, I can't believe this was a Kickstarter game. Every environment is unique and gorgeous, and the level themes are wonderful. There are 127 enemy types in this game, and each one has a chance to drop up to five different items with very little overlap. There are like ten types of primary weapon, though most of them are completely outclassed. And there are over 100 subweapons from which you mix-and-match five to form the rest of your kit. I only played around with a few of these but they were appreciably distinct.

There is an extensive and easy to understand crafting system, but it's mostly worthless. I would look at the crafting tree and say "All right, after I find a warlock staff I can forge a breastplate that gives +27 defense." I'd keep an eye out for a Warlock Staff and it would finally drop in the same room as a chest containing a +31 breastplate. This wasn't my universal experience with the crafting but it was the overwhelming majority, which is unfortunate because the game largely relies on craft materials to reward you for exploring.

Admittedly the Meal and Enhance Shard systems are more useful and draw from the same pool of crafting materials, but food items are a tiny subset of all of the materials, and I challenge anyone to use more than a handful of shards in a single playthrough. There are occasionally more useful weapons and armor, and permanent health/mana upgrades, but most of the time going out of your way to open a blue chest just gives you fucking nothing (or money, which is as useless). Speaking of health/mana upgrades, most of them are hidden inside "Metroid walls," you know, walls that look the exact same as every other wall but are breakable. It's a delight when you find one but it did lead to me wasting a lot of time attacking basically every wall in the castle.

With all of the boxes there are to tick—and you can track each of them in the menu—this could be a fun game to 100% for you obsessive completionists. I'll never know because I'm not one, but also because I downloaded a patch to fix the frequent crashing which also randomly reshuffled the flags of chests I had collected in the overworld, locking me out of one quest tree. At least it fixed the crashing. While I'm on the topic, there are a few rooms where the game chugged badly on PS4, especially the gambler boss fight, though it was usually fine on a technical level.

Bloodstained is modeled after Castlevania, so that means lots of backtracking! Except the map can be explored almost completely on the first go, so the backtracking is an exercise of just keeping your head down and power rushing from Point A to Point B. This is a useless experiment, but if you played through the game while refusing to explore any path or open any chest that you can only get from backtracking (except when required by the story), I wonder what your map completion percentage would be. Probably over 95%.

Speaking of backtracking, I got hopelessly stuck and had to consult a guide five times. For two of these I will take some blame, but the other three are absolutely 100% the game's fault for having a completely stupid critical path. This isn't a dealbreaker but it is a depressingly high number since I had to consult a guide like twice while playing Super Metroid, which is from 1994 and has no text in it.

In the end, do I like it? Well, I think it's mediocre. I almost want to say that you should buy this anyway, just to reward one of these kickstarter nostalgia projects for so obviously not phoning it in, and really putting in the effort, but at its core the gameplay just isn't very good. My chief complaint with Bloodstained at the end is my complaint with a lot of RPGs: it feels like a massive Skinner box. It just isn't very fulfilling. Obviously something kept me playing because I beat it in a week, but when I look back at my time on the game I have to ask what.
  • Was it the joy of mastering a skill? No, the game doesn't even ask you to get better. I beat most bosses first try without using healing items, of which you have infinitely many. I think skillful play is possible in this game, but with Miriam's clunky moveset I don't think I would have even enjoyed it more if the game were harder. But I'll never know because you are locked to Normal difficulty on a first playthrough.
  • Was it the engaging writing? Hell no. Miriam is the worst kind of Boy Scout character and while the rest of the writing was just about average for a video game, it certainly isn't a selling point.
  • Was it the excitement of a novel experience? Nope, the game is hardly innovative, basically just being a supercut of Castlevania games. You've seen all the monster types by midgame and everything after that is just the previous thing but with more health and does more damage.
So what was it then that kept me playing? Well like I said, the environments and music are excellent, I guess it's satisfying to see numbers slowly ticking up on a screen, and Miriam gives me a boner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)