Pokémon Vivillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivillon

Pokedex Number: 666
Type: Bug/Flying
Base Stats: 80/52/50/90/50/89

Abilities:
Shield Dust: Removes the chance of secondary effects effecting it, halves the accuracy of non attacking moves targeting it.
Compound Eyes: Increase the accuracy of all moves used by it
Friend Guard: Decreases damage done to allies by 25% (Hidden Ability)

Level Up Moves
Lv 1 - Tackle
Lv 1 - Harden
Lv 1 - String Shot
Lv 1 - Stun Spore
Lv 1 - Poison Powder
Lv 1 - Sleep Powder
Lv 1 - Gust
Lv 1 - Light Screen
Lv 1- Powder
Lv 12 - Struggle Bug
Lv 17 - Psybeam
Lv 21 - Supersonic
Lv 25 - Draining Kiss
Lv 31 - Aromatherapy
Lv 35 - Bug Buzz
Lv 41 - Safeguard
Lv 45 - Quiver Dance
Lv 50 - Hurricane
Lv 55 - Powder

TM & HM Moves

TM04 Calm Mind
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM27 Return
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM70 Flash
TM76 Struggle Bug
TM83 Infestation
TM88 Sleep Talk

The early game bug that Gamefreak gives the player is usually cursed to languish in the Box after the first or second gym, never to be brought out again. However, it seems this time they desided that if they're going to give you one, might as well make it decent. Vivillon is very minmaxed, it's a fast fragile special attacker and that's all it's going to be. Luckily, it has exactly the tools needed in order to do this job. While it's Speed and Special attack aren't the highest, it has the ever good move Quiver Dance, and most importantly Compound Eyes and the moves to use it. 97% Accurate Sleep Powder is good enough, but Vivillon is also gifted with Hurricane. Normally unreliable outside the rain, Compound Eyes brings it up to a good 91% accuracy, allowing Vivillon to spam it with impunity.

Potential Moveset(s)

Quiver Dance Sweeper

Vivillon@ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Modest Nature
Compound Eyes
252 SpA/252 SPD/4 HP
  • Quiver Dance
  • Sleep Powder
  • Hurricane
  • Bug Buzz/Hidden Power Fighting/Hidden Power Fire

Sleep Powder is wonderful for both allowing set up opportunities and also taking out one of its counters, while Quiver Dance gives it the power it need. Hurricane is the move of choice, 110 Power with STAB and a QD boost is nothing to sneeze at. Bug Buzz can be used as an alternative STAB, or Hidden Power Fighting or Fire can be used to hit Steel Types that would normally wall Vivillon.

Life Orb and Focus Sash have their advantages and disadvantages, with a Focus Sash you have a much easier time setting up, but Life Orb will give Vivillon much more power behind its hits.

You absolutely want to keep Stealth Rock away before you use Vivillon, it losing 50% of its HP when it's already pretty fragile is a death sentence.

Defensive Quiver Dance

Vivillon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Compoundeyes
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  • Sleep Powder
  • Quiver Dance
  • Hurricane
  • Substitute
A defensive monoattacker set. While Vivillon is frail, Sleep Power gives it plenty of opportunities to set up, put up a Substitute as for a cushion against priority, and then begin Quiver Dancing up. STAB Hurricane is strong neutral damage so works pretty well as a single attack, as well as discouraging any grass types from trying to come in to absorb Sleep Powder.

Checks and Counters

Anything that can take a +1 Hurricane from Vivillon can hit back and probably KO it. Of course, any counter has to be wary of Sleep Powder, but if Sleep Clause has been triggered it shouldn't be much of a problem. Also it's the definition of glass cannon, so if you can keep Stealth Rock up it's not going to be able to switch in more then once.

Last edited:
I'm praying for it to learn U-turn, so it can be a better version of the Butterfree suicide sleep set.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Vivillon is not exactly a glass cannon, if youre facing a special attacker quiver dance will save your ass.

Eh even with a Quiver Dance boost, 50 Base Sp.Def without any EVs in it isn't much.

I guess it might lead to avoiding some OHKOs for either putting someone to sleep or getting in another Quiver Dance (or both, since Sleep is at least One Free Quiver Dance)

can anyone think of any generation 6 rapid spinners that would work well with vivillion?
Greninja could pair decently. The two have reasonable offensive synergy, seeing as Greninja could take care of the Fire and Rock Pokemon (and to a lesser extent, Ice resist) that could threaten Vivillon. One issue, though, it that still leaves Fairy and Electric between the two of them. However, it might need to become a three-Pokemon core on that basis, with a Steelix or some other Poison/Ground/Electric/Steel type to cover that weakness, which shouldn't be too hard to fill.

The leak saying Greninja learned Rapid Spin turned out to be false though. :mad:

Exadrill seems to be the best spinner to pair up with it. Since it can easily take any rock type attacks thrown at our butterfly friend, and have the offensive presence to scare off spinblockers.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
well that sucks. Now theres a bug that outclasses mothim in nu :s Also the fact that its the only fully evolved bug that has dust shield is kinda awesome. Too bad it wont be able to take the hits anyway tho.

Mothim was never the one to beat. Unfortunately for Butterfree fans everywhere, Vivillon complete outclasses the original butterfly and takes the spot of 4th best Quiver Dancer (after Volcarona, Venomoth, and Lilligant)

97% accuracy with 100 Spe makes Vivillon the fastest and most reliable sleep inducer outside of Ubers. Superior coverage is also something to take in account.

That said Vivillon will need to be especially careful of priority users, especially Fake Out Ambipom.

252 Atk Ambipom Technician LO Fake Out vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Vivillon: 61.46 - 72.42%

Last edited:
Vivillon looks amazing on paper. It has some really useful moves to use in conjunction with Compoundeyes such as the powder moves and Hurricane. With the new 'powder' mechanic in gen 6, compoundeyes STAB hurricane with 100 special attack will destroy pretty much any grass type that tries to switch in to prevent status. Furthermore, Vivillon can make a great suicide lead with its 100 base speed pseudo-spore (fastest in the game) and access to rain dance and sunny day.

Double Powder
Vivillon@ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Timid Nature
Compound Eyes
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
-Sleep Powder
-Stun Spore
-Hurricane
-Quiver Dance/Hidden power [type]/Supersonic(lol)/Bug Buzz/Rain Dance/Sunny Day/whatever else it will get

Priority users will probably be Vivillion's worst nightmare, but they are generally predictable and there are many potential allies to help Vivillon out in that area. Call me crazy, but I can see this thing making an impact in OU. The only thing I doubt is Vivillon's capabilities as a Quiver Dance sweeper, but who cares? Life Orb +0 252 Timid STAB Hurricane deals enough damage with a high 100 base special attack. It's the 3rd most poweful Hurricane in OU tied with special Dragonite (losing to only Moltres and Tornadus I believe).

Last edited:
Mothim was never the one to beat. Unfortunately for Butterfree fans everywhere, Vivillon complete outclasses the original butterfly and takes the spot of 4th best Quiver Dancer (after Volcarona, Venomoth, and Lilligant)
On the bright side, Vivillon might be good enough to move up to RU, maybe even beyond. So Butterfree can roam around in NU.

It pretty much has the perfect stats for the Early Bug type as well as great movepool and great abilities.

We'll see, but I won't lie in saying that I'm excited for its potential.

I'm going to assume that the new goggles item blocks sleep powder though, so making speciallised counters to this thing is as easy as using that one (otherwise somewhat mediocre) item.

Insomina Banette can also come in on it safely and mega-evolve, and Electric Terrain teams competely screw it over. So that's something to watch out for at least. Still, very impressive for an early route bug!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not to be a buzzkill, but those stats aren't accurate. The base stats team hasn't finished fully narrowing it down, but Vivillon's Special Attack is either 90 or 91, and its speed is in a range between 88-95 (though I'll bet they're both 90). It's not going to be good as a straight up Quiver Dancer, since it's simply not powerful enough. It's gonna get stuck in NU like every other crappy bug, since I'm assuming the power level of NU is gonna be about equal to the bottom half of gen 5 RU + the top half of gen 5 NU.

However, it's hidden ability is Friend Guard, and it gets Light Screen and Powder, so I'm pretty interested in what this can do in doubles (note: its defenses are still terrible and its still weak to pretty much every relevant spread attack from last gen).

ps: I'm really not a fan of any of the powerful / inaccurate special attacks this generation after the nerf. The average base power over time dropped from 84 to 77 (120 * .7 to 110 * .7), which is barely stronger than Air Slash (base 75) on average.

How does one go about getting sleep powder on Vivi i haven't seen it on any scatterbug ive tried to level up. I did three seperate Scatterbugs and did not get sleep powder

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not to be a buzzkill, but those stats aren't accurate. The base stats team hasn't finished fully narrowing it down, but Vivillon's Special Attack is either 90 or 91, and its speed is in a range between 88-95 (though I'll bet they're both 90). It's not going to be good as a straight up Quiver Dancer, since it's simply not powerful enough. It's gonna get stuck in NU like every other crappy bug, since I'm assuming the power level of NU is gonna be about equal to the bottom half of gen 5 RU + the top half of gen 5 NU.
Even if this is true (I'll check the stat finder later), Vivillon's still no ordinary early-game bug - base 90 Speed/SpA and Compoundeyes Hurricane definitely let it stand out among lower tier Bug-types, and being immune to Spikes and Sticky Web (if it's all it's hyped up to be) is always a plus.

Seriously?

That's kind of lame if true. Still, I think that it might not be that worse, since it still has quite the powerful move, but dang, I hope it turns out to be better then 90.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Even if this is true (I'll check the stat finder later), Vivillon's still no ordinary early-game bug - base 90 Speed/SpA and Compoundeyes Hurricane definitely let it stand out among lower tier Bug-types, and being immune to Spikes and Sticky Web (if it's all it's hyped up to be) is always a plus.
Standing out among early game Bug-types is like winning a prize for having the fewest STDs; sure you're comparatively better but you still have the clap.

I dunno. Butterfree was nearly RU if my memory serves, and that's without Vivillon's offensive ability. With some of the things being thrown around now, we may have another tier (RU 2 maybe? Somewhat Used? I dunno), and if that's the case Vivillon is going to pop out of NU most likely for supporting and sheer power potential.

Im using one atm but just recently got its first Special attack move ill be doing alot of leveling on most of the pokemon as i dont wanna outrun my girlfrind(she bought me the game) even if its 90 it has some uses being able to spam hurricane and use quiver dance.

After a few runs online, this thing is brutal when it sets up. After 1 Q.Dance, it can outspeed and OHKO Blaziken and Delphox, two fire threats it surely would have discouraged other players. I think its a bit early to count our little bug out just yet.

Too bad it's effectively not confirmed to learn Sticky Web... oh well, guess we'll all be Getting Our Vivill On in the lower tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)