weird habits that you have

I pick at the top layer of my bottom lip, don't know what it's called, but there is a layer that I can peel off like a scab. Which I pick also, but that seems to be a much more common habit.

i talk to myself in a whispery voice and it pisses off my mother because she's constantly telling "YOU SOUND LIKE YOU'RE VOLDEMORT QUIT WITH THE PARSELTONGUE"
and i just did it again

Okay, like seriously...I thought I was the only one who did this T_T
lol i thought so too bro
for me tho

I have obsessive compulsive disorder. Used to be quite invasive (extreme handwashing taking over my life), but now I just have a constant urge to be... symmetric. Everything I do, I'm doing it right now as I type and brushing my fingers over the keys by accident. I do it on one hand so I must replicate that motion on the other. My index finger accidentally touches my middle finger, so I have to do that on the other hand. I touch my skin, I have to touch it on the other side. etc. etc. I do this all day. When I broke my wrist one time I refused to have full plaster because it would restrict my ability to touch my skin and that made my OCD go off the wall; I was extremely anxious and panicking.

I also am extremely paranoid about miscopy/pasting something and so I keep IRC or Notepad++ or something else open and just continuously type spaces, CTRL+A CTRL+X CTRL+V *holds down* to verify my clipboard is clear, rinse repeat ad infinitum. Again, this is harmless but results in severe anxiety when I am unable to carry this out (e.g. I break a keyboard, so I end up doing it with a virtual keyboard which is extremely unwieldy).

I won't eat anything with a strong taste (except for sweet stuff); this isn't just pickiness but more hypersensitivity where it makes me sick/distressed, and I have made efforts to not be like this with some limited success (forcing myself to eat more red meat to improve my health, for example). I pretty much like fruit, potatoes, candy, bread/muffins/cakes, and sometimes chicken. Some other stuff too but that's mostly it. I eat the same thing every day for a long time before switching meals due to my restricted diet making it difficult for me to choose something to eat (and I'd probably forget to eat way more often than I already do if I didn't live with my mom).

Also, I listen to songs on repeat for hours, sometimes even days. I think the longest I have listened to a song without changing it once was eight days straight. I don't get tired of songs like this, at all; the repetition is soothing for me. As a result I have many many many thousands of plays of my favourite songs in my music players (programs, phone, etc.).

red meat's not really that good for your health tbh and many reputable health institutions [havard school of health and nutrition, for example] say that you should actually cut it out of your diet, as it highly increases the risk of certain cancers, such as colon cancer. [you can read more here.]

i'm assuming you're anemic or really need the iron? if you can't readily absorb iron and really need it from an animal source [heme iron], the best source according to this page is liver; however, as i understand it, liver can be toxic to eat in anything other than low quantities [after all, what does it do?], so duck would appear to be the best choice if it is at the higher end of the scale.

if you can absorb non-heme iron, there are many good choices - cream of wheat, oatmeal, and a lot of cereals are often both palatable and easy to customize [so you can add things to it that you enjoy eating, like fruit, which are always good to eat unless you eat a whole crapton of it - but that goes for virtually anything]. fruit in particular is great to have alongside it, as vitamin c helps the absorption of iron.

tofu is also an excellent source, but you need to know how to cook it - if you don't cook it, it tastes like crap because it absorbs the taste of what it is cooked in - as such, it is one of the most flexible foods in existence. soybeans are actually a complete protein, which means they provide all of the essential amino acids that your body needs.

i would usually recommend vegetarianism on account of it often providing many health benefits when compared to an omnivorous diet of similar quality, but it seems that your diet is quite limited as it is [though such a diet is not as limiting as people seem to think, but i digress]. however, considering that most of your favourite foods seem to be fitting in that category, perhaps you might give it a shot? worst that can happen is that you really don't like it.

whooo sorry for the text wall i just have a lot of old nutritionist information in my brain [i was really into it when i was younger] so that statement just jumped out to me and i figured that i could give you some advice.

i ALWAYS have to be crossing my legs when im sitting in a chair and because of that my legs are not in their best state of health :(

I've sucked with this since the beginning of time; it's probably intersected with my general muscle tension. Just maintaining posture feels like a complete chore on some days, and on a few days I'll wake up in the most painful position for my back and/or my muscles and nerves shot dead. Last summer I sorta slowed down my mom and sister on two seperate vacations where I got pretty gruesomely blistered feet from walking, so I could get inside early to find out what That Mysterious Pain was. I've up and started trying to slowly increase my regular physical activity since the December after, and I feel a bit better already, so I'll see if I can take those hour+ walks well by the end of the summer maybe.

I FUCK have this problem where FUCK I sometimes FUCK say FUCK wankers the f-word in the middle of FUCK sentences and FUCK in FUCK random FUCK places.

Instead of walking up the stairs, I sometimes go on all fours to climb up it :/

I also pick my nails with my other hand rather than biting it

And I twirl my hair excessively

i don't have stairs in my house atm, but when i lived with my dad i did this all the time, as well - they were carpeted, so it was easy.

honestly before he moved it felt really weird to climb up "properly" lol

lmao, this reminds me that i do it as well on the carpeted set of stairs leading up to our flat (top floor) on rare occasions.
maybe i should do it more often - it looks dumb and childish, but it makes me happy nonetheless.

Okay, like seriously...I thought I was the only one who did this T_T
Godamnit I do this too and it annoys me a lot, I have even done it on one (Only one, for some reason) knuckle and it ruined it.

Anyway I also bite the insides of my cheeks until they feel all puffy and stuff. In fact I typically try to spend much of the day biting something.

norulz

excellent
blistered feet from walking
welcome to every single time I do sports, although this isn't much of a habit now is it?

also, what people here have described, I have this too: dermatophagia, biting the skin on my fingers, excessively, even moreso during stressful times

I still suck my index and middle finger like a goddamn baby.
my sibling does this. when he does, he makes this awful sucking noise that reminds me so much of nails on a chalkboard on account of how high-pitched and intense it often is. e______e

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
but now I just have a constant urge to be... symmetric. Everything I do, I'm doing it right now as I type and brushing my fingers over the keys by accident. I do it on one hand so I must replicate that motion on the other. My index finger accidentally touches my middle finger, so I have to do that on the other hand. I touch my skin, I have to touch it on the other side. etc. etc. I do this all day. When I broke my wrist one time I refused to have full plaster because it would restrict my ability to touch my skin and that made my OCD go off the wall; I was extremely anxious and panicking.

I also am extremely paranoid about miscopy/pasting something and so I keep IRC or Notepad++ or something else open and just continuously type spaces, CTRL+A CTRL+X CTRL+V *holds down* to verify my clipboard is clear, rinse repeat ad infinitum. Again, this is harmless but results in severe anxiety when I am unable to carry this out (e.g. I break a keyboard, so I end up doing it with a virtual keyboard which is extremely unwieldy).
I used to be a lot like that when I was younger. I think the most memorable thing was that I used to kick the ground with my shoes occasionally as I walked, and I always had to make sure I kicked the same number of times for both feet. If I kicked with my left foot, there would just be this lingering tension until I kicked with my right. >_<

Whenever I paste a link or something, I always copy a space after as well. I'm not sure if there is a particular reason or any real consequences to it, although it is annoying if I need to send the link to multiple people.

I also have a bad habit of always drumming my fingers and pressing down my keyboard keys when I'm not typing. (Like when I am reading or something) Since it is a clicky mechanical keyboard, it can really start to annoy my family in the house. (Especially when I am staying up late at night and they're all trying to sleep, like right now :P) Aside from that, all the drumming makes me "get used" to the keyboard quickly and at that point, typing becomes bland for a while.

If I'm daydreaming, sometimes I'll absentmindedly just curl my hair around my finger until it starts to hurt. I have sometimes done this to the extent of breaking off the curl, which isn't the nicest wake-up call.

I tend to do this weird thing where I touch my lips with the skin on my knuckles... Like, I'unno. It's really soft skin and lips are pretty sensitive so it calms me down sometimes.

idk when i'm stressed out i don't bite my fingers, instead i peel off dead skin from my lips, and then it usually ends up bleeding =/

I used to be a lot like that when I was younger. I think the most memorable thing was that I used to kick the ground with my shoes occasionally as I walked, and I always had to make sure I kicked the same number of times for both feet. If I kicked with my left foot, there would just be this lingering tension until I kicked with my right. >_<
I did this as well a lot when I was a kid, and it occasionally still happens when I think about it. Nothing debilitating like true OCD, but it does bother me somewhat until I "correct" the problem.

I wear socks all the time whether it's in the house or walking on the street(with slippers).
I wear shoes around the house all the time. It's a lingering side effect from when I was younger, when I removed them in the strangest places and ended up losing pairs often. I basically put them on when I get dressed in the morning and take them off when I get in bed.

I have a couple of other not-really-weird habits that have been listed in this thread, but nothing too interesting. Guess I'm not special enough either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)