Well #60 - uwu Sith Lord uwu

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Tuesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."

Well.

Well.

Well.

Okay enough of the puns for now. You may know me as Colonel M, or uwu Sith Lord uwu. I was nominated and won best and worst forum name, even though I want Atago to sit on me deserved that award.

About Me

I guess being old as dirt, or crust in the words of shake, I've been around the internet a lot. I've been on Gamefaqs, The Undersquare Forums (Megaman Battle Network forum), Serenes Forest, and of course here. My favorite series for the longest time was Fire Emblem, with #12 being one of my favorites in the series for having (in my opinion) great difficulty curve. Later in life I devolved into a gacha fiend and lost my ways. Nevertheless, I have a deep history with Smogon with roots of being a C&C Leader (without a Site Staff badge!), seeing many users come and go throughout the years, tier lists, and Smogon's fair share of drama with me being roped in it. In spite of this, I've had a lot of friends throughout the years and am glad that many of them have been successful in their own ways, such as Mekkah with his YouTube channel and Finchinator with his dedication towards Smogon. I would tag more people, but I dont know if they want to be tagged. I enjoy a lot of people from here in spite of my general sour attitude and feel that the community has taken many strides on improving itself too.

For real life, I'm within the IT field and have worked it for about 5 years now. I enjoy Tabletop and Board Games on occasion like 40K and Gaslands. I've also partaken in Dungeons and Dragons where I play Thikk the Half-Orc Barbarian. I like learning new things and watching people play games and enjoy many OSTs for video games. I also hold an unpopular opinion in accordance to casual DKC fans that DKC 3 > DKC 2. But I love DKC2 so don't take it the wrong way.

So pull out your bucket and dump some questions into the well for me to answer. I got my fishing rod and I'm ready to reel them in and answer them for you!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What were your favorite parts of moderating OU over the years?
Probably getting to interact and meet the moderators as a whole. I also enjoyed stuff like the VR (I am a tier list fiend) and occasionally enjoyed metagame discussions. I definitely commend many people who did things like the Speed Tiers or hosted interesting projects. The tournament discussion was also good.

I like weighing in on policy things too. While I confess my prowess for playing mons isn't very good, usually I feel I have a pretty good knowledge of some things that are problematic and deserve discussion (such as Dynamax) and definitely wish I could have done more to promote it. Maybe if my anxiety wasn't as bad or I just properly sat down I could have interacted better. Perhaps that can be viewed as a regret.
Regarding working in the IT field, do you find it more rewarding or tedious overall?
It varies, but it can be very rewarding. I find a lot of problems involve me having a lot of knowledge in some of the things and I feel that it can get a little burdensome when you're asked to do a lot, but I also have an appreciation to help a lot of people and coworkers while also finding better ways to do things. In previous jobs I have been under a ton of stress just because all it takes is one tiny mistake to snowball into a problem. This has, sadly, happened too. With these mistakes come with lessons learned, though, so it's not all bad.

Overall to answer the question - it is usually rewarding for me. After I've done more with my mental health, it has become a lot easier to feel rewarding for my line of work.
what is ur whaling limit, if it exists
Bro.

I am f2p.

What is a whale?

What limit?
I admit to spending too much and (actually) am reeling back a lot more. But my limit probably remains about $420 tops. Though that number will sink significantly.

For those who mock me on it - keep in mind that other than school debt I have very little debt to my name. I spend "within my limits."

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Give me your hottest, spiciest Fire Emblem take.
Fire Emblem 7 is a bad game.

It's not that I hate it, but it's a weak part in the series to me. The benchmarks to double are atrocious and the enemies are bad. Promoted enemies prove to be somewhat of a challenge, but most of the time they're very rare. Keep in mind the game has a lot of my personal favorites too, like Marcus, Hector, and Legault (as a character).

Sorry eden .

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Fire Emblem 7 is a bad game.

It's not that I hate it, but it's a weak part in the series to me.
Good take actually, the game has aged noticeably poorly.

--

What's your take on the current legal issues posed by lootboxes, and by extension, gacha games as a whole? Do you believe that regulation is necessary to curb the corporate greed on display in present times?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Good take actually, the game has aged noticeably poorly.

--

What's your take on the current legal issues posed by lootboxes, and by extension, gacha games as a whole? Do you believe that regulation is necessary to curb the corporate greed on display in present times?
Very good questions actually.

First with gacha games - a reason I am less critical to gacha franchise goes back to the roots of usually not being forced to pay to play. A person can still have a lot of fun being a f2p player and, barring some events that require upfront payment, it is optional to put money into the game. While whales definitely make for the budget, f2p players are important too.

I have a more bitter taste with lootboxes that force players into a "pay 2 win" kind of style. It's also despicable if the game comes with an upfront fee like FIFA. I also have a lot of disdain for the announcement with NBA 2K21 and them wanting to put ads in the game (seriously?). Generally I'm more okay with a cosmetic approach like Overwatch has. Don't like limited cosmetics, but the approach is a little less predatory to me than the pay 2 win. Still scummy though.

I think some intervention is necessary. Gachas are a lot less predatory IMO, but I can understand the concern of their type of gameplay to be a problem. And, like it can be argued at the end of the day, it's "barely" a game sometimes. As far as how heavy on government intervention is difficult to answer. For one, we're talking more internationally how something like this is handled. The US, having a Capitalistic approach, doesn't completely entertain the idea of controlling these things (though they have brought some legislation to attention, iirc). Companies like EA are really scummy for such approaches to games with wanting shit like ads in a video game.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
What is the best Fire Emblem game? not your favorite, the "objective" best

Also what's the best gacha and why is FEH so bad.

Do you regret changing your name back from your previous heights?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
when are we making a gacha game together...
Rfn
Do you have a goal of making it onto the list of users with the most messages?
If so, will you commit to answering every user in this well in their own response in order to achieve postcount ++?
Not really. Probably after this Well I'll slow down a lot more on posting. We'll see.

I just know there are a lot of questions early and while I wanted to go to bed early I wanted to make people know that I'll read their questions and answer them!
What is you Opinion on Otters.View attachment 283071
Very cute animals. Otters also have an adorable squeaks. Probably one of my favorites.
What is your favorite color and favorite flavor of ice cream
Blue, but I like shades of Red and Green too. Yellow is a color I hate most.

Favorite ice cream is Superman, or "Super Scoop". It's delicious and more of a Midwest thing, but having it with a waffle cone brings back a lot of good memories as a child.
What is the best Fire Emblem game? not your favorite, the "objective" best
I think this question is so hard.

People want to say FE4, but I have a slight preference to FE5. I think it would be a sin to say FE5 > FE4 though. So I would say FE4.

For weight on other games:

- FE3 Book 2 is probably a favorite in terms of a rather simple storyline and some funny broken things (Again Staff).
- FE2 aged very poorly, but SoV is a beautiful game. I love its music score so much and the English cast is very good. Berkut was a great addition to the game and his English VA was a fucking goat. The map quality is a big disappointment, but it's one of the few flaws IMO to the game.
- FE6 has my favorite kind of difficulty in terms of being more meta with picks (Rutger for bosskilling) with some off-hand tactics. Miledy and Cecilia are also GOATs.
- FE8 is iconic on why you should not overstrengthen your starting Paladin (Jeigan / Oifaye if you do that).
- FE9 and FE10 have what I would argue a stronger storyline that rivals the Kaga series of games. 9 was just a little too easy. I also enjoyed 10's "difficulty". I liked the idea of no weapon triangle, but having to count tiles in 3-6 was total horseshit.
- FE11 reclass was a good idea. It's a game that is over hated.
- Awakening and Fates is okay but they definitely have a lot of weak points in the series. Fates handles children in the most bizarre way possible too.
- 3 Houses is pretty good.
Also what's the best gacha and why is FEH so bad.
There is no such thing as a good gacha game though.

I've been enjoying Arknights. Contingency Contract is a lot of fun, and for a mobile game it has a pretty banger soundtrack.

...Yeah FEH is bad. It had potential, but it just knew how to shit on it too. PvP gachas are badciv.
Do you regret changing your name back from your previous heights?
Every fucking day of my life.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good day Colonel. An honour it is to speak with you once again.

It seems a large but silent majority of users have come out in force to support you. How does it make you feel knowing that your best friends Gec, Tab, bernard the brown, SMD AND BEG FOR WIN and Keelhauled still have your back after all this time?

Of course, some of our closest brothers did not make it. Yes I am sure you remember our comrade B R A I N L I C K E R. Would you like to take a moment with me to honour the memory of our fallen friend? pls share you best memory of B R A I N L I C K E R, or "Blicka" as you fondly called him. Do you remember the time he stood up for you whilst Smogon was experiencing some of its darkest days? How did you feel at the time?

Finally, how do you feel about puppos? Are you a fan of puppos? Pls rate this puppo out of 10.

Many blessings upon you and your loved ones, Colonel. May God watch over you.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Weren't you supposed to post this on a Tuesday?

im sick of this shit. whenever i enter a pokemon battling tournament on this website i will inevitably be paired up immediately with some spoilt motherfucker from the east coast of the united states of america who has never needed to convert between timezones in their life and literally pisses their actual pants when i say my timezone is +10. this guy didn't even know that double digit timezones existed until just now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)