What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

Starting out as Pikachu.

Pokemon Yellow was such a good game.

I wish they made game like that where you can get all starters in one single game.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Looks like the perfect time to look through the lens of nostalgia again. Here goes...

I loved the Anime like nothing else, and I loved how playing Pokemon games was the 'cool' thing to do. I remember the days when people actually collected Pokemon cards just to have them, and nobody knew how to play the card game. Most of all, however, I loved the rumors. Back when I was young, we were all gullible. Pokemon Red and Blue especially had an aura of mystery surrounding them; there were countless secrets just waiting to be unraveled. Surfing up and down the coast of Cinnabar worked, so why no believe that you could access the grass beyond the Route 1 fence, or that you could go battle Mew behind Bill's house, or catching Missingno. will totally destroy your game (I naturally had to catch one to find out). With so many fascinating easter eggs, you just had to wonder what you could confirm for yourself. Back then, I could not just look up on the internet all the ins and outs of the game; we all had to rely on word of mouth alone.

Also, we were all naive enough to not care about a metagame of any kind. No team could be called the ultimate if it didn't consist of Ash's own party members. How many of us have faced Brock in Yellow version with Pikachu, Butterfree, and a low-level Pidgeotto found in Viridian Forest? I sure have. Back then, Pokemon was fresh, it was new. We couldn't wait for Gold and Silver to come out so you could hatch your own Togepi, catch Pikablu, evolve Charizard, and ride around on a skateboard. I guess what I miss most about the Gen I era was the sheer innocence and comradeship that it brought. We didn't know any better, but neither did anyone else.

Gameshark! :'D I was the only kid in the neighbor who had it so I gave my friend 99 X Master Ball, 99 X Rare Candy, and Mew lol

I'm only 14 now, so I really didn't get to do the whole competitive thing but I will always remember being so excited to go to my cousins' house and even my grandma's house to play pokemon stadium. It was just the most fun thing. We al used the rental pokemon and I always had a pokemon that could use bubble beam. I just loved how it looked and the whole sound of the attack and the announcer. Man, whenever I play that game and I hear all of that stuff happening, I pretty much cry myself to death. :nerd:

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
I could sit and talk about gen 1 (and 2) for days...

I still remember when i had my pikachu and i couldnt fucking beat brock. Damn you pikachu for not learning like giga drain :p
I cried when i accidentaly released my charizard (favourite pokemon) and i miss my fucking 100 haunter that i leveld up hoping that it would evolve into a bad ass gengar :p. I also miss the Hyper Beam spam XDDDD
I remember when i was in class (3rd grade or so), me and like 4 or 5 more guys asked our teacher to play when we finished our works and stuff. I was like "OMG teach me how to get to Lugia! OMG let me get that Sudowoodo." Good old times...
The anime was excellent, specially gen 2. In gen 1 Ash only won gym badges because he got lucky :p but in gen 2 he became bad ass (it also had a fucking nostalgia - ash let charizard go :'(-)
Nowadays people are afraid to say that they still like and play pokemon
(<-- guilty) because Pokemon stopped being accepted by the "cool kids"

From generation 1, I miss the epic 8-bit music with the gym leaders and the champion! Every time I hear that music I get goosebumps all over and I just want to stand up and dance. The best part though was that everything felt new; red and blue was an incredible new world that was ready to explore, and nothing was familiar. And finally, I miss how Prof. Oak was incredibly smart, yet he forgets his own grandson's name :/

I miss enjoying grinding and link cables, oh how one can take wireless connections for granted when remenising the good old link cable...

Pokemon Blue was my very first video game. I actually learned to read because of Pokemon, sounding out the words in the guidebook we had and in other various Poke-literature.

My fondest memory, however, was when my dad and I played it. We plugged Blue into the adapter that allowed us to play it on the TV over Pokemon Stadium. I would control the game while my dad would look at the pictures in the guidebook and tell me which direction to go until I hit a wall.

As for Pokemon cards, I still have tons of them, which I will never sell. My first was a Mankey, I remember clearly. Man, life was good back then, wasn't it?

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Sniipe said:
Pokemon Blue was my very first video game. I actually learned to read because of Pokemon, sounding out the words in the guidebook we had and in other various Poke-literature.
ahaha thats awesome dedication.

Anyway I miss taking a look at Weedle and thinking "fuck it has a horn thats way better than my shitty caterpie", and then it evolved at level 10 and i solod with fury attack and twineedle.

my Alakazam, Gengar, Clefable and Golem rocking everything. Seriosly. The fact that i had to buy a gamelink cable to evolve alakazam, gengar and golem, then smashing my friends with them. Abusing the rarecandies like no ones buisness, Mewtwo, and my legit Mews i horded. Hypno being awesome, and Haunter being one creepy cool guy.

But most of all, Lavender town and all its glory. Im that sick kid who loved it. and being 12.

Anyone else get those pokeballs from burgerking that they recalled? I totaly have my kangaskhan. now theres a pokemon they need to make breedable as a baby
I used to have those but all i have left is a gyarados stuffed thing from BK. Gyarados was always my favorite pokemon ever and my cousins gave it to me when I was two. It was amazing and I'll always have it.

I guess I miss the freshness of it, but with black and white, and how crazy good best wishes is IMO, it's gettin pretty fresh still. After recently reading the horrible mechanics RBY have, I pretty much miss how it was such a weird glitchy game to get ridiculously big, and being the PERFECT age to get on the band wagon. I'm thoroughly impressed with how perfect they had made the games now though. But RBY will always be one of the biggest boosts of nostalgia for me to think about.
Same here. It was my first pokemon game and it was just amazingly fun. My cousin started it to show me how to play and named it clay but i ended up keeping the file. So, my name is clay on ruby. I used my milotic with surf hydro pump water pulse and recover and my blaziken with sky uppercut blaze and blaze kick plus two moves i never used. I just loved that game and when i look at the play time its over 500 hours i believe xD
I wish I wasn't in middle school so I could tell people I played pokemon, but I'm already hated for having "emo girl hair" and lots of animals. Middle school is crap because everyone is so immature (not to mention horny) but they all thin theyre grown up. :toast::nerd:

I miss the sprites. They looked a lot more like real animals (ex. Pidgey), and less cartoony. Come to think, the sprites of black & white are almost a throwback to the look of the original 150 in R/B.

@Aether Nexus: I was also asked how to duplicate and things like that. But I was no master. Some kid brought in his Chansey with Minimize, Seismic Toss, Softboiled and [filler] and totally murdered my team.

Ahh first and best game I receieved was pokemon blue for my bday , I remember I spent 2 hours trying to get out of the house let alone catching a pokemon lol. I miss how awesome it was playing pokemon with your friends and rating pokemon on their looks instead of how strong they were , (to this day I still think Blastoise is the sweetest looking poke I mean it has cannons on it's back!!!). One of the best parts was trying to find out little secrets in the game if they were true ,like finding a mew behind a truck in ss anne , (fell for that big time :p). One of the best moments of my childhood was when my brother went through the whole dark tunnel leading through to lavender town without using flash, (he didn't know flash lit up areas lol) still to this day I have no idea how he did it amazing!

I miss the epic music you got to hear once you got to Gary's (rival's) battle. I remember I would always turn up the music too loudest, no matter where I was - at the store, in my house, at night time, anytime of the day. Missing the times when I didn't know anything about Pokemon and I just played for fun. Its retarded now that I went through the whole of Black and I didn't enjoy it.

I miss the epic feeling i used to get when i went out and had to catch a rattata and pidgey's along with my charmander and then go and face Brock with just normal type moves and win. :3

Oh and not to mention those Hikers. Creepy fellows that sneak up on you in utterly dark caves, force you into a battle and steal your money to boot. :o

Lance's Dragonite w/ Barrier

Blue's Gyarados Lvl 22 with Dragon Rage

Blue's Gyarados Lvl 35 with Hydro Pump

Blue somehow having 6 lvl. 47-53 Pokemon after the 8th gym, if you beat EVERY trainer before the Victory Road cave you will not be able to have even 5 Pokemon in that range level. You could raise them in the wild but it would take far longer than the time gap of beating him in Saffron and returning to Viridian to battle him >=D

Blue raising a Exeggute and Growlithe to lvl 47-49 and having moves that aren't named "Barrage," "Hypnosis," "Ember," "Roar" and then when he gets to the elite 4 it's like he evolved these two before they could learn any other moves xD

Nintendo being so lazy that they just copy Giovanni's Ryhorn to Blue's team after the 8th gym battle, then copying the Rhydon from Giovanni for Blue's final team xD

I wasn't a kid when I started playing Red / Blue / Yellow, so I don't have these nostalgic memories of "everybody playing it." I do, however, think that the game was in some ways better than the current gen.

Yeah, the Pokemon roster wasn't quite as balanced, the starters weren't equally useful, there was no Dark / Steel, no breeding...there were a lot of things missing. But the Pokemon were, in general, memorable and unique. 150 wasn't that huge of a number to collect and remember. Sure, they could have done better with that initial 150, but they were solid.

I can foresee, sometime in the future, a "re-boot" of the Pokemon franchise that culls the roster. I can't say that every Pokemon is particularly useful, even for the purposes of breeding moves around. When the number of guys gets over 1000, it's a bit ridiculous - could take days of playing just to transfer them over from previous games to fill up the Pokedex. It's silly, really. I miss having fewer of them around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)