SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think we are still missing (Sorry if one already is a pokémon/already is on the list and I missed it):
- Degu
- Serval
- Caracal
- Ocelot
- Sand cat
- Andean mountain cat or Pampas cat (they're probably too similar to warrant two different 'mons)
- A bunch of domestic breeds, like:
-- Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat (Other long-haired breeds, like Ragamuffin or Turkish Angora, would probably again look to similar)
-- Japanese Bobtail
-- Sphynx cat (or in general, a hairless cat)
-- German rex (or another curly-haired cat)
-- A more colorful "generic" house cat (since we only have beige or grey Meowth - Maybe a calico or tortoiseshell, red tabby, etc)
LIST UPDATE:
Added Degu to "MAMMALS-Rodent".
2. Added Sand Cat, Maine Coon, Sphynx Cat, Japanese Bobtail, Calico Cat, Tabby, Tortoiseshell Cat, Odd-eyed Cat, Squitten to "MAMMALS-Feline".

Is there anything about the Serval, Caracal, Ocelot, Andean Mountain Cat/Pampas Cat, and German Rex that makes them stand out?

While I do agree we need more felines, seeing all these cat species have made me realize that cats don't have as much as a major genetic difference between them as dogs do. From what I've gotten, Serval is another spotted wild cat, Caracal is a spotless Lynx, Ocelot is a Leopard, and the main difference between most domestic cats is their fur color and pattern (and while a unique appearance can get it added to the list, the ones you mentioned like the Andean Mountain Cat/Pampas Cat and German Rex just don't look like they stand out unless I'm missing something).

Hm, admittedly, German Rex, Andean Mountain and Pampas cat don't have such a huge thing making them too different from other cats.
For caracals, servals and ocelots, I think their body frame differs enough from lynxes, cheetahs and leopards/jaguars respectively to warrant their own pokemon. German Shepherds and huskies both made the list, even though they do like quite similar, too. Not to mention we already have two pokemon lines based on pigeons, and a bunch of butterflies, etc.
Caracals are the most similar, but they're still built quite a bit more slender, have shorter fur and have much longer tails than lynxes (Also, they can make adorable sounds, even though I know that's not really the best thing to base a 'mon on)
Serval vs cheetah, again, I think their built is fairly different. Servals have much smaller heads compared to their bodies, and different ear and face shaped. Also, servals are best known (well, "known") for their jumping abilities, while cheetahs are known for running fast.
Ocelot and leopard/jaguar, again the body, head and face do have notable differences. Leopard/jaguar spots are more round, while ocelot spots are often a bit longer. (And ocelots sound like zombie cows.)

I do see where you're coming from, but I think there are more than enough possibilities they could be made very different from one another, and when you look at their pictures side by side, the differences are fairly visible. It's just that people are mostly more familiar with dogs, and thus seeing the difference between canines comes easier than seeing those between felines :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
For caracals, servals and ocelots, I think their body frame differs enough from lynxes, cheetahs and leopards/jaguars respectively to warrant their own pokemon. German Shepherds and huskies both made the list, even though they do like quite similar, too. Not to mention we already have two pokemon lines based on pigeons, and a bunch of butterflies, etc.
Caracals are the most similar, but they're still built quite a bit more slender, have shorter fur and have much longer tails than lynxes (Also, they can make adorable sounds, even though I know that's not really the best thing to base a 'mon on)
Serval vs cheetah, again, I think their built is fairly different. Servals have much smaller heads compared to their bodies, and different ear and face shaped. Also, servals are best known (well, "known") for their jumping abilities, while cheetahs are known for running fast.
Ocelot and leopard/jaguar, again the body, head and face do have notable differences. Leopard/jaguar spots are more round, while ocelot spots are often a bit longer. (And ocelots sound like zombie cows.)

I do see where you're coming from, but I think there are more than enough possibilities they could be made very different from one another, and when you look at their pictures side by side, the differences are fairly visible. It's just that people are mostly more familiar with dogs, and thus seeing the difference between canines comes easier than seeing those between felines :)
Well, color me surprised! While explaining my thoughts I decided to look up exactly what Liepard's design aspects were and this what Bulbapedia has to say:

Liepard has traits of housecats and leopards. It could also draw inspiration from spotted wildcats like the leopard cat, ocelot, and serval. It may also be based on a Savannah cat, a hybrid between a domestic cat and a serval. It also slightly resembles a black panther, because of its dark coloration and the fact that spots on a panther's coat can be seen if examined closely.
So, guess that's it for the ocelot and serval. They've all been smooshed together with the other spotted wildcats and represented via Liepard.

That just leaves the caracal. The thing about the caracal and lynx is that they're not going to care about the slight differences in body frames (especially since they're just going to be drawn cartoony anyway). With them the main thing is the ear tufts, that is the standout feature and probably what part of their design will focus around. Like with the above spotted wildcats, the caracal and lynx will be combined into one Pokemon, because all they'd care about would be the ear tufts (and between them there's no other distinguishing feature or trait).

So, why are both German Shepherds and and Huskies on the list? Their reputation and use. German Shepherds have been popularly used as police, guard, and search & rescue dogs. Husky are famously known as sled pulling dogs (and thus are also known to live in colder environments).

Great thread!

They haven't used the maple tree (good opportunity for Grass/Fire).

The watermelon hasn't been used (I see you have vampire watermelon), but after the Bounsweet line, there's some good potential for just regular fruits.

Salmon. They could use the graphic colours of the sockeye salmon.

For Myth/legends:
  • Chinese guardian lion (my apologies if it's already in the list, I tried to Google all the names you have added and didn't see it)
  • the Snow Lion, the emblem of Tibet.
  • Vegetable Lamb of Tartary, which is completely weird but seems like a fun idea.
  • Banshee, a female spirit/fairy from Irish lore.
  • Garuda, from Hindu and Buddhist mythology

Gems and semi-precious stones have been use here and there (Diancie is a based on a diamond, Mega Steelix has some crystals protrusions) but otherwise things like jade, turquoise, opal, pyrite (fool's gold), amethyst, or obsidian haven't specifically been used.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Great thread!

They haven't used the maple tree (good opportunity for Grass/Fire).

The watermelon hasn't been used (I see you have vampire watermelon), but after the Bounsweet line, there's some good potential for just regular fruits.

Salmon. They could use the graphic colours of the sockeye salmon.

For Myth/legends:
  • Chinese guardian lion (my apologies if it's already in the list, I tried to Google all the names you have added and didn't see it)
  • the Snow Lion, the emblem of Tibet.
  • Vegetable Lamb of Tartary, which is completely weird but seems like a fun idea.
  • Banshee, a female spirit/fairy from Irish lore.
  • Garuda, from Hindu and Buddhist mythology

Gems and semi-precious stones have been use here and there (Diancie is a based on a diamond, Mega Steelix has some crystals protrusions) but otherwise things like jade, turquoise, opal, pyrite (fool's gold), amethyst, or obsidian haven't specifically been used.
LIST UPDATE:
Salmon (Rainbow Trout) added to "Marine-Fish".
2. Maple added to "Plants-Tree".
3. Samara and Watermelon added to "Plants-Food-Fruit".
4. Sabertooth Salmon added to "Extinct-Marine".
5. Snow Lion, Wind Horse, Ashtamangala, and Odqan/Yal-un Eke added to "Myth-Asian".
6. Alara (Fairy)(Turkic), Abasy (Turkic), and Surale/Shurala (Turkic) added to "Myth-Other".

As for some of your suggestions I didn't add, well:

Chinese Guardian Dog:

Vegetable Lamb of Tartary:

Banshee:

The Garuda I debated putting on the list as it's semi-known but looking at it it's just a humanoid with bird parts. Hawlucha might as well be a Garuda.

Gems and other semi-precious stones I'm also hesitant on (as well as other minerals and metals) since they're more something that would be used to decorate a Pokemon than something for a Pokemon to be based on. Diancie isn't based on a diamond, it's based on a mythical jewel-decorated creature called a carbuncle as well as a type of jewel cut called the "princess cut". Mega Steelix's crystal protrusions is just a design feature, it's based on a snake made of rocks (though for Steelix these rocks hardened into metal and Mega Steelix they became magnetized). Only time I've added a mineral/metal if there was something very unique about it (or something was made out of it) which a Pokemon could be designed around.

Arcanine and Mismagius are pretty obvious, thank you. And I did not know about Whimsicott! Very interesting.

As for Hawlucha, I do believe it can't cover every flavours of "winged fighter" concepts, so others could still be added without feeling repetitive, especially if they combine it with other ideas to take it away form the mexican wrestler.

And for the minerals/gems, I often feel like they need to do more for the rock type, simply than "Hey look, a rock." That's why I was happy to see Diancie's move "Diamond Storm", cause there's so many other concepts to explore here for rock Pokemons and moves. But I agree, adding them individually might be a bit much.

Additions:
  • X rays
  • Bath bomb
  • Fashion/modelling (might be covered by Lopunny or Pheromosa, but not entirely)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As for Hawlucha, I do believe it can't cover every flavours of "winged fighter" concepts, so others could still be added without feeling repetitive, especially if they combine it with other ideas to take it away form the mexican wrestler.

And for the minerals/gems, I often feel like they need to do more for the rock type, simply than "Hey look, a rock." That's why I was happy to see Diancie's move "Diamond Storm", cause there's so many other concepts to explore here for rock Pokemons and moves. But I agree, adding them individually might be a bit much.

Additions:
  • X rays
  • Bath bomb
  • Fashion/modelling (might be covered by Lopunny or Pheromosa, but not entirely)
Hm, alright, I'll add Garuda though only cause I took a real close look at its Wikipedia article and can see some potential ideas.

I know I'm entering wishlisting territory here, but I think a neat idea for a Rock-type would be having it able to evolve using any Evolution Stone and depending which Evolution Stone was used would determine its secondary type and what gem stone (aka color and maybe texture) its evolution will be decked out in (I think maybe linking this idea with Birth Stones would be the best route for such a Pokemon).

Actually, I have Birth Stones on the list so I think that covers a nice range of gem stones.

X-Rays:

Yeah, I think Pheromosa has fashion model covered (Lopunny has another type or beautiful woman group covered).

LIST UPDATE:
1. Garuda has been added to "MYTH-Asian".
2. Bath Bomb/Salts/Fizzies has been added to "OBJECTS".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
UPDATE:
First, a big thanks to NoCheese, DHR-107, and other mods for giving me the post underneath my initial post (originally NoCheese's). I just reached the text limit for my first post and now with a second I should have all the room I need for any future additions or list ideas.

Second, with all the unreleased Pokemon being revealed or discovered recently I decided to make a new category for UNRELEASED AND PROTOTYPE POKEMON.

Third, just in generally I have been adding and tidying up the lists. At some point I plan on sub-categorizing MARINE-Fish, BUG, especially BIRD, OBJECTS, CONCEPTS/PHENOMENA, ALIEN/SPACE, and MYTH/FOLKLORE/FAIRY TALES-Other. While I have ideas on how I'll do it, at the same time I'm also open to suggestions.

Infact, now that I have a second post to work with that's currently housing the additional lists, if you have an idea for an additional list send me a PM and we'll talk about it. Just remember, this thread is already walking on the line of wishlisting so whatever your list idea is has to be more fact-based than things you just want to see happen. Also it has to be something we can realistically list, like we're not going to have a list for "Regional Differences" because that concept is very broad and doesn't have strict rules to it unlike Mega Evolutions.

I'd remove Voodoo Doll from the list. I mean, Banette is basically a Voodoo doll. Bulbapedia even says "Its appearance and habit of sticking itself with pins is akin to the popular conception of voodoo dolls" as the first sentence in its Origin section.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'd remove Voodoo Doll from the list. I mean, Banette is basically a Voodoo doll. Bulbapedia even says "Its appearance and habit of sticking itself with pins is akin to the popular conception of voodoo dolls" as the first sentence in its Origin section.
Hmm, while Banette's habit of sticking pins into itself is a reference to voodoo dolls, I feel that's more of a throwaway reference and doesn't have any impact on its design. Banette is based on a plush toy/doll version of a Tsukumogami, a Japanese mythical creature that's an item given life after having lived for 100 years. And the recently discovered GS prototype Pokemon had a prototype Pokemon that was a voodoo doll with a pin sticking through it (which then oddly evolved into a Jiangshi, a Chinese hopping vampire); so the idea of a literal voodoo doll does exist.

Though with it's grudge against the child that tossed it out (which makes no sense as its an evolution of Shuppet who's dex entry doesn't relate to that at all...) I would say it's more akin to a Creepy/Killer Doll that is on my list so I will be removing that from the list.

Last edited:
Not to mention there was supposed to be this:
Capture.PNG

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
It seems to me that you have forgotten a lot of the other Kangaroos around the world on your portion of the marsupials list. Furthermore we are missing several species of Wallabies from the list as well.
Red Kangaroo (Macropus rufus)
Eastern Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus)
Western Grey Kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus)
Antilopine Kangaroo (Macropus antilopinus)

My assumption as to why Kangaroos were left off the marsupials portion is because of the fact that we have our pal Kangaskhan already created. If this is the truth then I disagree with you. In my opinion Kangaskhan more closely resembles that of an overgrown Wombat. The reasons for this are actually pretty obvious when you analyze the two together. (I tried to find small pictures of the wombat so it would fit better)

1. Both Wombats and Kangaskhan have a short rounded snout with two pointed teeth protruding from their upper jaw.
  2. They carry their young in their pouches (obviously since they are marsupials)
  3. They both have very rounded bodies unlike the Kangaroo who is more lean and muscular
  4. Their coats are both the same. Being a brown hide and a creme colored belly
  5. Their ears are in almost the exact same spot.
  6. I believe It is safe to assume Kangaskhan has a slow metabolism just like the Wombat because of how thick bodied Kangaskhan is.

I think that I've basically covered everything that I can think of as of right now. Please lend me your opinions on my claim.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It seems to me that you have forgotten a lot of the other Kangaroos around the world on your portion of the marsupials list. Furthermore we are missing several species of Wallabies from the list as well.

My assumption as to why Kangaroos were left off the marsupials portion is because of the fact that we have our pal Kangaskhan already created. If this is the truth then I disagree with you. In my opinion Kangaskhan more closely resembles that of an overgrown Wombat. The reasons for this are actually pretty obvious when you analyze the two together. (I tried to find small pictures of the wombat so it would fit better)

1. Both Wombats and Kangaskhan have a short rounded snout with two pointed teeth protruding from their upper jaw.
  2. They carry their young in their pouches (obviously since they are marsupials)
  3. They both have very rounded bodies unlike the Kangaroo who is more lean and muscular
  6. I believe It is safe to assume Kangaskhan has a slow metabolism just like the Wombat because of how thick bodied Kangaskhan is.

I think that I've basically covered everything that I can think of as of right now. Please lend me your opinions on my claim.
Indeed, I left kangaroo off the list since we have Kangaskhan and Breloom. We actually had this discussion on page 2. The reason Kangaskhan is so thick is because they for some reason also combined its design with Mongolian armor. Kangaskhan represents the child bearing part of a kangaroo while Breloom has the typical slender appearance and habit of punching. While I wouldn't mind a more atypical kangaroo Pokemon, the point of this list is to list animals/objects/concepts/myths that haven't been made into a Pokemon. And thus Kangaskhan and Breloom fill in for a kangaroo (though we can put it up to a vote if anyone else would like to include it on the list). Though do note that we do have an extinct species of kangaroo on the Fossil list. Also, if we ever get an Australian region I wouldn't be surprised if they make an atypical kangaroo Pokemon anyway.

Also, if I were to put kangaroo on the list it would be as ""Real" Kangaroo" (or maybe ""Real" Macropus" as to also include wallabies). Yes, there are many species of kangaroo (and wallaby), but unless one has notable trait which separates it from its cousin species they'll all be lumped into one animal. Funny enough, I don't think we have a wombat Pokemon.

Reactions: BP

Honestly, I think Kangaskhan was designed as a mix of the two, with a kangaroo-like body shape and bipedal posture but a more wombat-like head and body girth. Wombats also don’t have long tails like Kangaskhan does, and wombat pouches face backwards between their legs (so dirt doesn’t get in when digging).

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
After looking through the Pokedex and a guide to marsupials side by side I'm pretty sure we are missing the Tasmanian Devil (Sarcophilus harrisii) as well. Unless you are qualifying the Zorua and Zoroark line as that particular species.

Pretty sure we should remove Drinking Bird from the list. Porygon2 is about as "Drinking Bird" as can be, even though it IS a digital program.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Isn’t Ho-oh partially based on a Peacock?
Ho-Oh is based on the Chinese Phoenix, the Fenghuang, which (modern design) is a mash of several birds notable traits, this includes having the tail feathers of a peacock. So yes, there's peacock-like traits to Ho-Oh's design, but they're not because they based them on a peacock but rather based it on just Ho-Oh is suppose to have long, multi-color feathers. Because when we say we'd like to see a peacock, I think this is what we have in our mind:

BTW, remember the peacock is the male. Species is actually called Peafowl and the females are called peahen, which are a bit more plain looking:

Don't like to speculate about what GF may do, but I think, like with Tranquil, these Pokemon will probably be given at least gender differences. And outside that, just look at the plumage of the peacock. You're going to tell me GF is going to give up a chance to do something with a brightly colored bird who has a feather hood full of eyes? ;)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can't remember who it was, but a few days ago someone on the OI Discord pointed out that the Rock/Electric combo is used by the Alolan Geodude family, and thus shouldn't be on the unused list. Kinda strange that nobody have noticed that in the past two years.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I can't remember who it was, but a few days ago someone on the OI Discord pointed out that the Rock/Electric combo is used by the Alolan Geodude family, and thus shouldn't be on the unused list. Kinda strange that nobody have noticed that in the past two years.
TYPE LIST UPDATE:
Moved the combination of Rock/Electric from "Not Done Yet" to "Only Done By One Family".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I was waiting for Bulbapedia to finish creating the pages for the new Pokemon as they're usually more meticulous with Pokemon origins. Though I can quickly go through each to see what design basis I can pick-up/heard about/Bulbapeda have already described:

Grookey Family: Monkey, Gorilla, Drummer
Scorbunny Family: Rabbit, (Soccer) Athlete
Sobble Family: (Veiled) Chameleon, Emo Subculture, Spy
Skwovet Family: Squirrel
Rookidee Family: Blue Tit, Chickadee, Raven, Crow, Black Knight
Blipbug Family: Ladybug/Ladybird, Bookworm, Radome, Flying Saucer
Nickit Family: (Red) Fox, (Masked) Burglar/Thief, Guy Fawkes Mask
Gossifluer Family: Cotton
Wooloo Family: (Jacob) Sheep/Ram
Chewtle Family: (Alligator) Snapping Turtle
Yamper Family: Welsh Corgi, Greyhound
Rolycoly Family: Coal, Mine Cart, Furnace/Forge, Mountain
Applin Family: Worm in an Apple, Wyrm (limbless dragon), Worm of Linton, Amphithere (winged, legless dragon), Drake (wingless dragon), Apple Pie/Turnover
Silicobra Family: Cobra, Anaconda, Shotgun
Cramorant: Cormorant
Arrokuda Family: Barracuda, Pike, Arrow, Torpedo
Toxel Family: Baby (in a diaper), Punk/Grunge Rocker, (Electric/Bass/Air) Guitarist
Sizzlipede Family: Centipede, Shocking Pink Dragon Millipede, Omukade
Clobbopus Family: (Boxer/Blue-Ringed) Octopus, Boxer, Jujitsu
Sinistea Family: Poltergeist, Tea Cup, Teapot
Hatenna Family: (Party/Witch) Hat, Antenna, Witch, Witch Tower, Witch's Ladder, Rapunzel (& Dame Gothel)
Impidimp Family: Imp/(Hob)Goblin/Gremlin/Boggart, Redcap, Bugbear, Troll/Ogre/Grendel (Beowulf)
Galarian Zigzagoon Family: European Badger, Glam Rock Star (specifically Kiss)
Galarian Meowth Family: Viking (notably a Berserker), Norwegian Forest Cat, Viking Sword, Freyja's Cats (Bygul & Trjegul)
Galarian Corsola Family: Bleached Coral
Galarian Farfetch'd Family: Knight, Onion Knight, Sir Lancelot/the White Knight
Galarian Mr. Mime Family: Tap Dancer, Vaudeville Actor/Comedian (specifically of Charlie Chaplin's "The Tramp" character)
Galarian Yamask Family: Runestone
Galarian Ponyta Family: (No basis change from what I can tell, Ponyta become a unicorn but Rapidash was already one)
Galarian Weezing: (Stovepipe) Top Hat, Smokestack
Galarian Darumaka Family: Snowman, Yeti
Galarian Stunfisk: Foothold Trap
Milcery Family: Drop of Milk/Blob of Cream, Whipped Cream, Wedding Cake
Falinks: Spartan (Helmet), Phalanx
Pincurchin: Sea Urchin
Snom Family: Domestic Silkmoth
Stonjourner: Stonehenge
Eiscue: Penguin, Ice Cube
Indeedee: Housekeepers, Butlers, Maids
Morpeko: Hamster, Guinea Pig
Cufant family: Elephant, Digging Spade, Maharajah, Excavator, Trencher
Galar Fossils: Misassembled Fossils, "Velociraptor", "Dunkleosteus", (since the bottom half can be a number of prehistoric animals I'm not going to bother trying to figure out what they are)
Duraludon: Building (specifically London's tallest building, The Shard), Mechagodzilla
Dreepy Family: Diplocaulus, Missile, Stealth Bomber
Zacian & Zamazenta: Wolf, Sword, Shield, King
Eternatus: Space Dragon, Thanatos

Does anyone have any additional suggestions? Notably animals/objects/concepts/mythical creatures that are on a Repository List so I know to remove them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)