What's your favorite album?

My favorite album has to be Illmatic, an amazing set of 10 songs that changed the face of hip-hop during the 90s. It is a classic of hip-hop and for good reason, with great beats backed up by even greater lyricism from the great Nas.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Soon Come - Asheru, Blue Black of the Unspoken Heard.

Magnificent album reminiscent of old school hip-hop with an amazing jazz vibe.

OML YES I loved Asheru in the several songs I heard by him but I haven't ever given time to listen to a full album of his. I will definitely try and check this out.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One of: Since I Left You by The Avalanches, River Arms by Balmorhea, Color of Jazz by Blazo, xx by The XX, Freedom of the Son by Uyama Hiroto

I honestly couldn't pick just one of them

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
this is a tough question. i have four albums that are a cut above the others to me. tago mago by can, the lonesome crowded west by modest mouse, bringin' it all back home by bob dylan. however, the one at the top of the list is probably DOUBLE NICKELS ON THE DIME by minutemen.

first of all it's like 50 god damn songs and i don't think a single one of them isn't great. not merely good or "not bad", but fucking great. d. boon's guitar style is kick ass, i try to emulate him when i play. the kind of nervous but INCREDIBLY tight strumming pattern and his utilization of muting, stupidly good rhythm and psychic connectedness with the bass and drums. it's funky. it's hardcore. it's jazz. but more importantly, it's IDEAS!! the minutemen were you and me, but they actually had informed thought about what was going on around them. their ideas are always relevant, always beautiful and thought provoking. it's poetry in the truest sense of the word. the minutemen have to tell you something only because they have the ability to tell you something, and god damn it the world could use a little more thought for the sole sake of celebrating existence.

also i'm a sucker for guitar solos.

If I had to pick one it would have to be Sound Awake by Karnivool. It's just a consistently amazing album, Ian Kenny's vocals are absolutely mesmerising and I recommend it to anyone who likes rock/metal (it's prog rock). Unfortunately I'm getting over it a bit now, since I've listened to it regularly for a good 5+ years but damn is it good

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
here's my favorite album!

calibre - second sun [signature records]
calibre's sophomore album is revered among many people, and for good reason. second sun is the epitome of deep, smooth liquid drum 'n' bass, and it showcases calibre's immense talent at music production. even today, many of the top liquid dnb artists still struggle to produce an album that can even hold a candle to this one. it opens up with "bullets", a collaboration between calibre and diane charlemagne (who provides emotive vocals that draw in the listener) that sets up the pace for the rest of the album. of special note is the title track on this album, which is an orchestrative wonder that retains an ambient atmosphere. all of the tracks go minimal on the beats and deep on the bass. on top of all this, calibre is not afraid to mix up the pace, as he inserts "don't watch this" and "these few" (two house tracks) and "drinnahilly" (a downtempo track) among the dnb. even if you're not a basshead, you should still listen to second sun if you like high-quality music. it's an absolute masterpiece.

here's my favorite album!

calibre - second sun [signature records]
calibre's sophomore album is revered among many people, and for good reason. second sun is the epitome of deep, smooth liquid drum 'n' bass, and it showcases calibre's immense talent at music production. even today, many of the top liquid dnb artists still struggle to produce an album that can even hold a candle to this one. it opens up with "bullets", a collaboration between calibre and diane charlemagne (who provides emotive vocals that draw in the listener) that sets up the pace for the rest of the album. of special note is the title track on this album, which is an orchestrative wonder that retains an ambient atmosphere. all of the tracks go minimal on the beats and deep on the bass. on top of all this, calibre is not afraid to mix up the pace, as he inserts "don't watch this" and "these few" (two house tracks) and "drinnahilly" (a downtempo track) among the dnb. even if you're not a basshead, you should still listen to second sun if you like high-quality music. it's an absolute masterpiece.
I really like the thoughtful explanation you put towards your favorite album and it makes me want to check it out.

If I had to pick one it would have to be Sound Awake by Karnivool. It's just a consistently amazing album, Ian Kenny's vocals are absolutely mesmerising and I recommend it to anyone who likes rock/metal (it's prog rock). Unfortunately I'm getting over it a bit now, since I've listened to it regularly for a good 5+ years but damn is it good
Lol I kinda feel the same about Illmatic cause I've been listening to it for about 4 years now but that just shows how some albums can be very impacting, to the point where people can repeatedly listen to it without getting tired of it. I'm not too familiar with the genre, but it seems like an interesting album.

this is a tough question. i have four albums that are a cut above the others to me. tago mago by can, the lonesome crowded west by modest mouse, bringin' it all back home by bob dylan. however, the one at the top of the list is probably DOUBLE NICKELS ON THE DIME by minutemen.

first of all it's like 50 god damn songs and i don't think a single one of them isn't great. not merely good or "not bad", but fucking great. d. boon's guitar style is kick ass, i try to emulate him when i play. the kind of nervous but INCREDIBLY tight strumming pattern and his utilization of muting, stupidly good rhythm and psychic connectedness with the bass and drums. it's funky. it's hardcore. it's jazz. but more importantly, it's IDEAS!! the minutemen were you and me, but they actually had informed thought about what was going on around them. their ideas are always relevant, always beautiful and thought provoking. it's poetry in the truest sense of the word. the minutemen have to tell you something only because they have the ability to tell you something, and god damn it the world could use a little more thought for the sole sake of celebrating existence.

also i'm a sucker for guitar solos.
My father actually really enjoys that album by Bob Dylan, but i haven't checked out most of his or Minutemen's works. I too, am a sucker for really good guitar solos, so the album seems very interesting and might be my next album I'll listen to.

It was so fucking good oml I am almost speechless at how good this album was. Favorite songs: Welcome, Truly Unique, B-Boy (We Get Shit), Theme Music, Soul, Jamboree, and Elevator Music

2 albums very special to me, don't think I'll ever get tired of them. The Jane Doe artwork is also by far my favorite cover art (looks incredibly cool on a t-shirt).

sometimes I question whether this is still my favorite album with all the other records I love competing for the spot but then I put it on and I'm sorry I ever doubted it. it is not the high point of melodic black metal, or black metal as a whole, or even the entirety of extreme metal; it is the pinnacle of metal, period. I would write a dissertation of my reverence for it if I didn't want the uninitiated to discover it for themselves without me telling you why you're supposed to think it's amazing. all I can do is reiterate how ridiculously fulfilling it is once you "get" it (I liked it at first listen but it took a while before it Really clicked with me).

sometimes I question whether this is still my favorite album with all the other records I love competing for the spot but then I put it on and I'm sorry I ever doubted it. it is not the high point of melodic black metal, or black metal as a whole, or even the entirety of extreme metal; it is the pinnacle of metal, period. I would write a dissertation of my reverence for it if I didn't want the uninitiated to discover it for themselves without me telling you why you're supposed to think it's amazing. all I can do is reiterate how ridiculously fulfilling it is once you "get" it (I liked it at first listen but it took a while before it Really clicked with me).

HAIL SACRAMENTUM!

No seriously, it's a top notch album, I listened to the title track once and basically fell in love with Black Metal from there. So killer. No other album can really compare with the impact of this one.......it's that much of a masterpiece. The only tragedy of it is that Sacramentum peaked too early and ended up burning out.

I like a lot of albums in different genres, but yeah I'd probably take this one as my favorite

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

Asek

Banned deucer.

(american football - s/t)

if your an average joe in late high school / college / uni and you havent heard this give it a listen - the lyrics capture a lot of emotion, are delivered perfectly and will more than likely have some content you can relate to. The instrumentals are nothing to scoff at either (listen to the second half of the third track in 'honestly' to grab a feeling of this), and it meshes well together to make the perfect listen for me, especially on a rainy day

Honourable mention: tribe called quest - low end theory

also we have way too many music threads in this sub forum lol

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
My favorite album is honestly whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment. Right now I want to listen to tons of Tennger Cavalry or A Celebration of Guilt by Arsis, or Underworld by Symphony X.

But if I had to pick one I always go back to it'd be:

Iron by Ensiferum

Folk Metal, with a semi-thrashy kick that all-ins on great melodies and hooks. Not to mention it has Jari Mäenpää in some ridiculously good form. This album is just so consistently good across the board that it's really really hard to go with anything else. Highlights are: Iron, Sword Chant, Into Battle, and Lai Lai Hei. Also a great cover of Metallica's Battery.

The solo sections on Iron (5:48-6:52) and Into Battle (30:25-31:43)... fucking beautiful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)