Wii U

I really get the feeling that this upcoming E3 will truly decide whether or not the Wii U can be salvaged.
Sigh - all is not doom and gloom for the Wii U. Ultimately, Wii U sales are not an issue because Nintendo has pockets as deep as the Marianas Trench, they can afford to support this console just as they supported the GameCube. The GameCube was a financial failure but does it matter when it produced first-party classics like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Colosseum (and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - sort of), and a good bunch of third-party games too?

If the Wii U ends up like that then I doubt many people will mind that it didn't make back its money. Talk of abandoning the Wii U and working on a "truly next-gen console" is pure hogwash. (And, by the way, if Super Mario 3D World's graphics aren't next-gen, then I don't know what is.)

With that new MK8 deal coming up, I think I'm finally gonna get myself a Wii U. €288 for a Wii U plus two games sounds solid to me, and since I'm in Europe, I have more titles to pick from as well. Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 or Windwaker though?

With that new MK8 deal coming up, I think I'm finally gonna get myself a Wii U. €288 for a Wii U plus two games sounds solid to me, and since I'm in Europe, I have more titles to pick from as well. Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 or Windwaker though?
You can definitely get better deals than that if you go down the second-hand route.

I have played Pikmin 3 and I love it to pieces. And get the DLC while you're at it.

You can definitely get better deals than that if you go down the second-hand route.

I have played Pikmin 3 and I love it to pieces. And get the DLC while you're at it.
That's what you'd think, but around here (the Netherlands), the Wii U had a terribly slow start, meaning nobody even bought the console, which in turn means there's hardly any second hand consoles out there. Except for one to-good-to-be-true deal from a shady pawn shop, all prices I can find are still so high that I'd rather just get a new Wii U.

Sigh - all is not doom and gloom for the Wii U. Ultimately, Wii U sales are not an issue because Nintendo has pockets as deep as the Marianas Trench, they can afford to support this console just as they supported the GameCube. The GameCube was a financial failure but does it matter when it produced first-party classics like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Colosseum (and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - sort of), and a good bunch of third-party games too?

If the Wii U ends up like that then I doubt many people will mind that it didn't make back its money. Talk of abandoning the Wii U and working on a "truly next-gen console" is pure hogwash. (And, by the way, if Super Mario 3D World's graphics aren't next-gen, then I don't know what is.)
Couple things:

Yeah, they can afford to let it flop, but if they continue to act incompetent in the home console market they're only setting themselves up for disaster.

Secondly, Nintendo was still turning a profit every year with the GameCube. 2012 and 2013 have been the only years Nintendo has faced losses, and those are 100% because of Wii U.

Couple things:

Yeah, they can afford to let it flop, but if they continue to act incompetent in the home console market they're only setting themselves up for disaster.

Secondly, Nintendo was still turning a profit every year with the GameCube. 2012 and 2013 have been the only years Nintendo has faced losses, and those are 100% because of Wii U.
My point was not "Nintendo is not doing good business", because that is an unavoidable truth. My point was "Nintendo isn't going down the pan, so who cares if it sells as long as it has a good game library?" (Of course, that is another problem).

Last edited:

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Cool! A free game with MK8! I've somehow avoided owning a Mario Kart game all these years even though I've played every one so far released on a Nintendo system except for the SNES version. It looks like this finally be the time to get one lol. I must thank Nintendo for making the choice of free game for me: Pikmin 3. I personally found the gameplay of Pikmin 2 to be dull and aggravating, but maybe this time will be different. It's either that or being forever alone with Wii Party U. I would have gotten Monster Hunter 3 if that were an option in the States. Europe needs the extra motivation since Wii U sales are so poor there, so I suppose I understand why they did that from a business point of view. *sigh 9.9*

I'm not so worried that Nintendo won't make great games for the Wii U. There's going to be a new Legend of Zelda game after all, and it's almost certainly going to be great. (Is E3 here yet?) They've hinted at interest to make another 3D Mario platformer also, not to mention the weird crossovers that will hopefully happen like SMTxFE and Hyrule Warriors. It's just that I'll probably get burned out on first-party Nintendo after a while and will want the odd third-party game that as of this moment probably won't get ported to the Wii U. But as it looks right now, the Wii U will be running on almost entirely first party support until devs look and the system and see $$ rather than just some extra hassle. And that can only happen if the Wii U and its software actually start selling well.

So one thing I haven't actually established about MK8 is how it will control with the Gamepad. Is it done Wii-wheel-style by tilting the Gamepad like a steering wheel, or is it a more conventional analogue-stick system?

So one thing I haven't actually established about MK8 is how it will control with the Gamepad. Is it done Wii-wheel-style by tilting the Gamepad like a steering wheel, or is it a more conventional analogue-stick system?
It can preform both and is interchangeable during the match with a simple tap on the gamepad from what I have heard.

so ive been looking at the MK8 bundle all month, but someone on this facebook game trading group was selling a freaking brand new windwaker bundle for £200, so i swiped that shit up and just preordered MK8 anyway. £240 for the console and 3 games is pretty damn legit in my book. life will be great now

Just got mine a few days ago and beat NSMBU (came with it) the day after. I like the Wii U itself because it's almost like a better 3ds in some ways. Things I'm most looking forward too:

- SSB
- MK8
- Games that won't make me regret buying this otherwise because there really aren't that many good ones yet

Wish it came charged though because it's annoying to set it up when your tv is against a wall and you can't walk as is, and then I had to wait forever, but I guess it was worth it. Looking forward to adding people for MK8 and SSB though.

So I just bought a used Wii U, the special Wind Waker bundle. The original owner told me he had formatted the Wii U, so the the game he had downloaded on it earlier wasn't available anymore. Still, some sites suggest I could be able to access the game...

Though I don't know how.

I registered the Wii U with my own Nintendo ID, btw.

Any ideas?

Right, so, now that all the hype from MK8 and E3 has died down...

Hyrule Warriors: discuss.

Input from people who have actually played Dynasty Warriors games would be fantastic.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dynasty Warriors 7 was kind of my dream Dynasty Warriors game because the story segments were pretty heavily scripted instead of "kill all generals while playing this level for the 20th time". With Hyrule Warriors they get to make up their own story so you'd think they could go further in this direction, but the E3 demo seemed kind of regressive. Definitely interested in the ways different weapons radically alter characters, and with the large number of unrevealed playable characters. I don't even have a WiiU yet but I'll probably get Hyrule Warriors someday.

People are really hyped that you can play as Zelda, and after watching some gameplay footage I noticed that she's a sword and bow character. Those are traditionally some of the most fun characters to play, so that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
So I just got one of these along with MK8 and I'm in love, add me-my id is coolbizo but my name is byron, idk which you put in to add people.

EDIT: yeah add me as Coolbizo not byron :P

Last edited:
Right, so, I (maybe short-sightedly) bought the 8GB version and now I'm close to the memory limit. Anyone know what I have to do to get more memory?

God, this "building a rig" bullshit is why I prefer consoles to PC. I'm assuming there's no way to just upgrade to the Deluxe version? That would be the better solution for me.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
God, this "building a rig" bullshit is why I prefer consoles to PC. I'm assuming there's no way to just upgrade to the Deluxe version? That would be the better solution for me.
Blaming PC's for your mistake ?_? Good job there. The WiiU detects any external storage device and can format it for its own storage. That includes External HDD's and Thumb drives iirc. An external gives you upto an extra 512gb (at minimum) of space. They aren't even expensive (Somewhere around £30~70 depending on spec) and are a synch to install, you literally plug it into the device...

And No. No way to upgrade, you have to buy a new console.

Yeah, DHR-107 I've done some more research now and I must just have been in a bad mood the other day. Thanks for the advice and I'll stop derailing this thread now so people can actually talk about games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)