Wimpod, Golisopod Discussion

Just made an account here NOW to ask a question about this guy.
Do you think he'll be more of a sweeper or a wallbreaker?
Seems like he's got the damage to break a physical wall and then survive the attempted revenge kill pretty easily.
But the decent bulk and priority+damage means he could also do well as a sweeper if his counters are dealt with.
Thoughts?
Also, two words.
PSYCHIC TERRAIN
Bulky Pivot, potential wallbreaker.

Psychic Terrain doesn't do much for this? Talonflame got nerfed hard so you don't worry about Priority Flying attacks, and you want access to your three priority options (Bug Fake Out, Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch).

Misty Terrain is decent since you don't want to be status'd.

Bulky Pivot, potential wallbreaker.

Psychic Terrain doesn't do much for this? Talonflame got nerfed hard so you don't worry about Priority Flying attacks, and you want access to your three priority options (Bug Fake Out, Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch).

Misty Terrain is decent since you don't want to be status'd.
What I meant was Psychic Terrain shuts him down pretty hard. Was hoping someone would bring up a terrain that'd counter that, so a doubles team might survive. Misty works.

I really hope there is more to Emergency Exit than just being Wimp Out with a different name. Otherwise I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Sucker Punch

Something like that should be viable.
Dood you would definately have impression over sucker punch - it's literally an amazing move I'm blown away by how good it is. It's the saving grace of golispod. I'm thinking band with first impression will be its staple set. It can dish out a priority attack to kill, and if it doesn't, and gets hit, it's ability will activate and it will switch out to use first impression again.

So if Goli uses First Impression and switches out/Emergency Exits, then returns to the field later on, can it still use First Impression? Or is it once per battle? If its the former, it's going to be a fantastic hit-and-runner

So if Goli uses First Impression and switches out/Emergency Exits, then returns to the field later on, can it still use First Impression? Or is it once per battle? If its the former, it's going to be a fantastic hit-and-runner
Surely the former. I doubt GF hates Golisopod enough to make it once per battle.

I'm pretty sure its a Fake Out - the flinch, so probably the former

do we know what liquidation's defense drop chance is? If it's not like 30% or higher, razor shell might be the superior option. You lose 10 bp and 5% accuracy but have a massive 50% chance to drop the opponent's defense, which would help with wallbreaking, or if you emergency exit into a physical attacker. Speaking of emergency exit, I am confused as to how this works as well. Does it let you select which mon is switching in a la u-turn, or is it random as if you were hit with roar or whirlwind?

I'm feeling like the best set might be first impression/spikes/leech life/razor shell or liquidation. Its speed seems too low to use swords dance with, and bug + water stab offers amazing neutral coverage by itself, so you might as well abuse its ridiculous defense to set hazards.

I'm just excited we got what looks like a viable offensive Spike setter in OU! The massive threat of First Impression is sure to cause lots of free turns for this guy to set down a layer of spikes, and it's STAB combo hits all current, bar Tentacruel lol, and (i think) new hazard removers for at least neutral damage, although Zapdos and Skarmory will give him headaches.

I'm just excited we got what looks like a viable offensive Spike setter in OU! The massive threat of First Impression is sure to cause lots of free turns for this guy to set down a layer of spikes, and it's STAB combo hits all current, bar Tentacruel lol, and (i think) new hazard removers for at least neutral damage, although Zapdos and Skarmory will give him headaches.
DOn't forget toxapex, that will be a struggle. But golispod can spikes on toxapex and can lay spikes when it forces multiple switches like you said earlier.

An offensive spikes set certainly has promise

Dood you would definately have impression over sucker punch - it's literally an amazing move I'm blown away by how good it is. It's the saving grace of golispod. I'm thinking band with first impression will be its staple set. It can dish out a priority attack to kill, and if it doesn't, and gets hit, it's ability will activate and it will switch out to use first impression again.
But what if they don't hit you? Or do hit you but because of the solid defense stat doesn't drop you under 50%, now you're stuck with a move you can use (which makes you use Struggle, right?) unless you switch out, either way you're leaving yourself open for the opponent to switch, or start setting up. Plus I feel like a manual switch with Golisopod would be not taking advantage of it's ability.

Really I feel like Assault Vest is the way to go. Hit hard, get switched out eventually, when you come back in, you'll have enough defense to use First Impression again, then try to Leech Life back up and start all over again.

This thing has one of the most bad ass designs I am loving it. It has amazing atk and defense stats and has among the strongest priorty in the entire game. First Impression with a choice band is very powerful and will Ko a shitton of offensive pokemon. It also get a few other priorty moves. I also think a large part of its viability hinges on how its ability works exactly.

But what if they don't hit you? Or do hit you but because of the solid defense stat doesn't drop you under 50%, now you're stuck with a move you can use (which makes you use Struggle, right?) unless you switch out, either way you're leaving yourself open for the opponent to switch, or start setting up. Plus I feel like a manual switch with Golisopod would be not taking advantage of it's ability.

Really I feel like Assault Vest is the way to go. Hit hard, get switched out eventually, when you come back in, you'll have enough defense to use First Impression again, then try to Leech Life back up and start all over again.
Assault Vest doesn't lock you into using just one move like the Choice items, though. it only prevents you from using status moves.

My first-hand sources that I won't delve into confirm that:

- Emergency Exit is exactly like Wimp Out in every way and, unfortunately, activates immediately after taking the hit, not at the end of the turn. Meaning Golisopod might accomplish diddly-squat that turn.
- Emergency Exit activates only after the last hit of the multi-strike attack lands, not during the attack.
- if Golisopod enters the battle with less than 50% HP already, Emergency Exit doesn't activate any more - unless it heals and drops below 50% again.
- Sitrus Berry activates before the Ability, so it prevents Golisopod from getting switched if it heals enough.
- evolves from Wimpod at lv. 30 and getting it to that level is a major pain, though with badass payoff.

- Emergency Exit is exactly like Wimp Out in every way and, unfortunately, activates immediately after taking the hit, not at the end of the turn. Meaning Golisopod might accomplish diddly-squat that turn.
- Emergency Exit activates only after the last hit of the multi-strike attack lands, not during the attack.
- if Golisopod enters the battle with less than 50% HP already, Emergency Exit doesn't activate any more - unless it heals and drops below 50% again.
- Sitrus Berry activates before the Ability, so it prevents Golisopod from getting switched if it heals enough.
- evolves from Wimpod at lv. 30 and getting it to that level is a major pain, though with badass payoff.
That is very sad.

Assault Vest doesn't lock you into using just one move like the Choice items, though. it only prevents you from using status moves.
Right, the first part of what I said was in response to the guy I was quoting, who was suggesting choice band. The second part was me suggesting vest would be better.

That's really disappointing. Could really effect his usability if he's constantly getting switched out before doing anything. Hopefully with his high defenses and wish support he might be able to make good dents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)